Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game improved?

rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618

Unsurprisingly this post was immediately deleted by Anet on their forums so I'm guessing posting it in a fansite would be a mistake as well, so its here in hope of a balanced discussion.

I played this game around launch and I kept trying to see the good in it, but I just couldn’t take it anymore. I was playing exactly like I thought I was supposed to, smelling the roses and not rushing to level up, but was bored to TEARS by the time I reached level 55. The actual gameplay isn’t CLOSE to fun enough to just “smell the roses.” I was playing the game like Skyrim, and the game played like Skyrim except with 500x the mobs that are brain dead and stand in certain zones, with your actions having no consequence at all, and with an incredibly uninspired world with mundane stories to tell.

PvE was just running around following the zerg tagging mobs to get kills… killing poor mobs that NEVER had a chance, and with so many players around I’ve never felt so isolated in an mmo, there is basically no interaction b/w players outside of dungeons. Really what’s the point of having so many people around in GW2 other than lagging up my game?

I mean did the game get any better, b/c when I playing it, it was basically trying to be an mmo NOT about progression but rather about the journey, kind of like a single player game I guess, but the journey was so effing boring that they might as well have given us progression! Leveling up felt trivial, since I would probably level up just as fast looking at all my gear carefully and landing all my skills carefully, as I would if I just kept my level 1 staff, followed the zerg, and tagged all the mobs I could with my autoattack. You never feel like you’re getting stronger.

I see hope that the game is better now, in that they added some end game progression, but I also heard it wasn’t well received and Anet has no plans for ANY new tiers of armor this year... so I guess they fell back to their old plan of no endgame at all... I also heard barely anyone plays the game like an mmo, and just log in for a week to finish the living story which is only available for a small period of time, and then go back to playing a game with more lasting appeal...

[ mod edit - title tweaked to be less loaded]

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

...okay you know what,

For you I'll say this, the game is not less boring now, but I will only say this for you, the OP.

Edited: Forgot to mention, you are about to get a lot of people who agree with you OP, and trust me you will love what you see, don't min the fact that the game wasn't made for y'all and clearly stated before it even released, but vent away.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Ditched my account in less then a month. Found it to be the most pointless game I ever played. I understand the need to reinvent the gear chase most MMO's use. The problem is GW2 didn't reinvent it, they replaced it with nothing.

This left me with this utterly pointless feeling whenever I did anything in the game. And replacing the trinity with 3 dps or 2 dps and a support isn't exactly revolutionary either.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    I felt the same way as the OP when I played near release, haven't tried it since though.  
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Less boring? I've never found it to be boring in the least, so it's hard to answer a loaded question like that honestly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Less boring? I've never found it to be boring in the least, so it's hard to answer a loaded question like that honestly.

agree - its all in the eye of the player

can make the Ops statement about any mmo

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    The game is what it is. It still plays the same with some tweaks that have been made to the dungeons making the  slightly easier, but not much. 
  • fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

my friend bought it for 70€ with beta access and he never made it past lvl 21 on his guardian.

i gave it a shot and i couldnt play it past lvl 17 on my ranger..

we both played GW1 for many many years (i played it since the very first BWE where the gw1 engine was not the current one)

GW2 is sooo boring i cant even put into words. i had absolutely zero motivation to go on.

"PvE was just running around following the zerg tagging mobs to get kills… killing poor mobs that NEVER had a chance, and with so many players around I’ve never felt so isolated in an mmo, there is basically no interaction b/w players outside of dungeons. Really what’s the point of having so many people around in GW2 other than lagging up my game?"

this is exactly what was going on. nothing to add here.

game felt DEAD because there was no communication whatsoever. u do a "event" with ppl and then u part ways without a word.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Yup, I've never played a game where chat was so pointless as GW2. They could remove the chat window and it wouldn't even matter.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by fumoffu1

my friend bought it for 70€ with beta access and he never made it past lvl 21 on his guardian.

we both played GW1 for many many years (i played it since the very first BWE where the gw1 engine was not the current one)

GW2 is sooo boring i cant even put into words. i had absolutely zero motivation to go on.

"PvE was just running around following the zerg tagging mobs to get kills… killing poor mobs that NEVER had a chance, and with so many players around I’ve never felt so isolated in an mmo, there is basically no interaction b/w players outside of dungeons. Really what’s the point of having so many people around in GW2 other than lagging up my game?"

game felt DEAD because there was no communication whatsoever. u do a "event" with ppl and then u part ways without a word.

I have always had communication in game during events - here comes the punch line - must be you -  :-)

You haven't played in a while have you? it has changed a long time ago from that - like 2-3 months after the game was released. But, people keep spouting out about things they have no clue about.

All games are dead GEEZ, the only living world is the RL one.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Yup, I've never played a game where chat was so pointless as GW2. They could remove the chat window and it wouldn't even matter.

That's actually somewhat close to accurate in the PvE world. It would matter... a bit... some people do use it out there but it's not Barrens Chat. But then again, in WvW the chat is used extensively and a majority of our server is in TS anyhow.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

If you didn't like how the game played at launch, then there isn't much of a reason for you to think you would enjoy it now. The basic mechanics of the game are exactly the same. Additional content has been added to the game, but if you didn't like the portion of the world you did experience, I'd doubt you'd like any of the newer additions.

Perhaps the game simply isn't your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that, but no one else can really tell you how you will react to a game either.

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by rageagainst

Unsurprisingly this post was immediately deleted by Anet on their forums so I'm guessing posting it in a fansite would be a mistake as well, so its here in hope of a balanced discussion.

You wont get a good answer here either... fanboys and haters here too and a lot of them from both sides. besides most of this post doesnt really bring anything to discuss... only your POV (nothing wrong with that of course). not all games are for all players

PvE was just running around following the zerg tagging mobs to get kills… killing poor mobs that NEVER had a chance, and with so many players around I’ve never felt so isolated in an mmo, there is basically no interaction b/w players outside of dungeons. Really what’s the point of having so many people around in GW2 other than lagging up my game?

From what ive seen this is how powerlevelers have been doing since WoW at least (athenes instance leaving/join the group)? nothing new... besides zergs sucks.

if you think following the zerg sucks why do you do it?

I see hope that the game is better now, in that they added some end game progression, but I also heard it wasn’t well received and Anet has no plans for ANY new tiers of armor this year... so I guess they fell back to their old plan of no endgame at all... I also heard barely anyone plays the game like an mmo, and just log in for a week to finish the living story which is only available for a small period of time, and then go back to playing a game with more lasting appeal...

dont listen to everything you "hear"... look for yourself if you own the game.  if  you believe its true what you heard then dont try it... if you dont think its true then try it. what do you have to loose on it?

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618
    Originally posted by Kaneth

If you didn't like how the game played at launch, then there isn't much of a reason for you to think you would enjoy it now. The basic mechanics of the game are exactly the same. Additional content has been added to the game, but if you didn't like the portion of the world you did experience, I'd doubt you'd like any of the newer additions.

Perhaps the game simply isn't your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that, but no one else can really tell you how you will react to a game either.

Whose cup of tea was it then? It looks like solely ultra casual game. I played the game like a casual gamer and I was bored... it lacked any depth whatsoever...

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The only reason i bought GW2 was for the PVP side.
    Played over a thousand hours in WvW and had a blast, can at least say i got my money out of it.

But the server jumping and arcade pvp feeling jumped in over time...
    I had a blast playing it, then one day i loged in and the magic was gone...
    My server was empty once again...
    I like big zergs roaming around duking it out, but it was more player versus wall..

Looking back i just wished GW2 WvW was more sandbox....instead it was just a battleground that resets every so often.

PvE was kinda relaxing, but i grew bored with only a few skills.
    It felt like a grind, a fun grind, but not enough to keep me playing.
    Dragons where fun to kill, those big events where epic.
    But it all felt to arcade.

For the time being my time spend in Themeparks are totaly over.
    Resubbed to Eve and wished i never left it :)

REaly hoping Archeage or ESO has insanely more sandbox elements, but reading stuff about it i have low hope of those 2 games to.
    Strange thing is CCP is making World of Darkness and knowing CCP this one got to be brutal :)

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618
    Originally posted by Mothanos

The only reason i bought GW2 was for the PVP side.
    Played over a thousand hours in WvW and had a blast, can at least say i got my money out of it.

But the server jumping and arcade pvp feeling jumped in over time...
    I had a blast playing it, then one day i loged in and the magic was gone...
    My server was empty once again...
    I like big zergs roaming around duking it out, but it was more player versus wall..

Looking back i just wished GW2 WvW was more sandbox....instead it was just a battleground that resets every so often.

PvE was kinda relaxing, but i grew bored with only a few skills.
    It felt like a grind, a fun grind, but not enough to keep me playing.
    Dragons where fun to kill, those big events where epic.
    But it all felt to arcade.

For the time being my time spend in Themeparks are totaly over.
    Resubbed to Eve and wished i never left it :)

REaly hoping Archeage or ESO has insanely more sandbox elements, but reading stuff about it i have low hope of those 2 games to.
    Strange thing is CCP is making World of Darkness and knowing CCP this one got to be brutal :)

ESO could have made a GREAT sandbox mmo, and it would be more true to TES, but alas its just a themepark game, since that's what pays the bills apparantly, though everyone will have their own version of the world so it will feel like you are making more of an impact than GW2. Not sure how sandbox-y the endgame RvR will be, looks like an in between of GW2 and Camelot Unchained or Unleashed w/e it was.

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Originally posted by botrytis

I have always had communication in game during events - here comes the punch line - must be you -  :-)

You haven't played in a while have you? it has changed a long time ago from that - like 2-3 months after the game was released. But, people keep spouting out about things they have no clue about.

All games are dead GEEZ, the only living world is the RL one.

i have always had communication with other ppl in every game i played since DAoC (even in games where chat is extremely limited cause you have to use preset words like in Wizard 101 CB) - here comes the punch line - must be your game  :D

i said i never made it past lvl 17 on my ranger and i played a week long every day a few hours.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.

You have to give any game you try a fair chance, and at the very least play one char to lvl 80, or you simply have no clue what you are talking about.

I did, and the game is boring all right. I just returned after 6 months, and nothing major has changed. But it does have it's good points too, and I will probably continue to play it a little on and off.

Originally posted by Bjelar

You have to give any game you try a fair chance, and at the very least play one char to lvl 80, or you simply have no clue what you are talking about.

I did, and the game is boring all right. I just returned after 6 months, and nothing major has changed. But it does have it's good points too, and I will probably continue to play it a little on and off.

actually no. i dont. if the game fails to motivate me and bores me with redundant  single player story quests then i simply refuse to play it any longer.

playing at least to lvl 80. ROFL. 

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Bjelar

actually no. i dont. if the game fails to motivate me and bores me with redundant  single player story quests then i simply refuse to play it any longer.

playing at least to lvl 80. ROFL. 

If I did like you I would have missed out on most of my favourite games, music and hobbies.

Whatever I immediately like usually turns out to be "#%#%.

Maybe you are different ;)

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Whose cup of tea was it then? It looks like solely ultra casual game. I played the game like a casual gamer and I was bored... it lacked any depth whatsoever...

You played as a casual gamer and looked for depth? Your definition of casual must vary widely from the rest of humanity. When I pop in a casual game of Angry Birds at lunch I'm not expecting depth on the level of War and Peace.

Good luck in your search for a casual, deep game.

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

You played as a casual gamer and looked for depth? Your definition of casual must vary widely from the rest of humanity. When I pop in a casual game of Angry Birds at lunch I'm not expecting depth on the level of War and Peace.

Good luck in your search for a casual, deep game.

i think u misunderstood something there.

a casual game has nothing to do with playing a game casually.

u can play ANY game casually and there is nothing wrong with him doing that and still expecting some depth.

also he never said he looked for a CASUAL game. its just that he played the game CASUALLY.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    this game was good since launch, but also boring and it remains boring. imo, while i don't say its a bad game, this game is the epitome of boredom...
  • WarDekarWarDekar Member UncommonPosts: 7

Boring is a matter of opinion isn't it? If someone doesn't like a certain play style that's fine. "To each his own". If every game fit every play style what a wonderful world it would be but that isn't the case. Go into any games forums and there will always be at least 2 sides arguing. That being said GW2 is a game that does fit a very relaxed game play style. I work and go to school so when I can log in for 30 - 45 minutes and just chat with guild mates and goof off in the online game space I'm happy.

I used to do the raiding gear treadmill deal before my life is what it is now and I enjoyed it. I guess that would be considered "hard core". 5+ hours a day. But I wouldn't be able to do that now or I would not be able to justify that kind of time spent in a game. I do enjoy that game style.

That being said GW2 fits the bill for me now. I think it's fun for me because of the players/friends/guilds that I play and chat with. Some of the zergs have lessened since launch. One can still find a few though but in the 80 zones events are failing more often now because there are no zergs. 

Game play "grew" on me over time (since launch) and I can't say I enjoyed it right out of the gate so to speak. At the very least from now till the end of the game players can log in when they feel like at no extra cost to them.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Haters, which this game has plenty of, don't make much sense. The game is dead, nobody plays, but if you happen to be one of the only people playing, then all you do is follow the endless zergs that are everywhere. 

There is nothing more idiotic than a stupid troll. They say what they want to hear, because they want to hear it, not because there is truth to it at all.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.