Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Earnings Up Since F2P Conversion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to yesterday's earnings call between EA and stock holders, Star Wars: The Old Republic's player base has increased by 1.7 million users. Subscriptions have stabilized near the half-million mark.

According to yesterday's earnings call between EA and stock holders, Star Wars: The Old Republic's player base has increased by 1.7 million users. Subscriptions have stablized near the half-million mark.

Source: Polygon

Check out the report.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    From the report : "extra content and free-to-play contributed $224 million, up 45%, led by sustained growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, and solid results from Star Wars: The Old Republic and Bejeweled Blitz."

i am willing to bet "fifa ultimate" is bringing in the majority of this 224 million, if not 3/4th of 224 million. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The game deserves some good re-reviews

Its the most immersive themepark MMo available, for those that just love great stories

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    F2P is a scam which relies on impulse buying.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

Too little, too late.  They ruined the experience for just as many, I'm sure.  SWTOR, the biggest disappointment in the past few years IMO.

I hear Disney is teaming up with EA for a new Star Wars game...

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its the most immersive themepark MMo available, for those that just love great stories

I agree completely.

When it comes to story SWTOR is second to none in the AAA MMO market.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

No no..it can not be..lies..all lies... EA is lying to stock holders..lying to us..lying to everyone.......this game must fail.....!!

I am just kidding ;p

I am happy that SWTOR is doing good, it is one of the most fun theme park MMOS i have played.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• IRNUBIRNUB Member Posts: 22

I can somewhat agree to the Story part but there is nothing to re-review.

It's still the most lol mmo i have tried imo.

• IRNUBIRNUB Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Tierless
    I'm not thrilled about this, it only servers to send the message to companies that they can put out a sub par product, convert it to FTP and make money on it.

Agree, we have enough of those. Can't this abomination just die

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Guess who I am...

"You mean EA and Star Wars are actually doing pretty good?"

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Vlacke

I agree completely.

I feel completely the opposite

The dialogue, questing plots, and overall story are insanely cheesy and cliche. The voice acting is SO campy. Every thing that comes out of my characters mouth is so out of context for the choices they give you. It's really a disaster on every level. 

I love KOTOR 1 and 2 so much, what a way to go out : /

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    The real question for me has always been whats next for swor after makeb.  2.1 is all cartel market, 2.2 is supposed to be content about 8 weeks after makeb released.  What comes after that?  It took them a long time to get Makeb out and even people playing very casually are through it.  Another DLC a year from now won't be enough to hold those subscriber numbers, the game needs a real expansion next and they haven't put out any solid information on what they are working on.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I looked so forward to this game for so many years, I even held Bioware with such great esteem(KOTOR 1, DA, ME) but wow what a screw-up. i will return to TOR eventually but only for 1 month and after theres been a bunch of expansions just to play the only worthwhile feature, the story.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    And in short order that new revenue will fade away (for the most part) like it has with DDO and LOTRO.  Of there there will be an influx of cash for the first little while after the game goes F2P.  Why wouldn't there be?  Everyone and their mom is checking it out for the first time or coming back for a couple months.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    This news gives me a wry smile. What will the doom sayers say next will be very interesting.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    F2P is very profitable. No surprise here. Because most people are generally bad at math. It's a good game buts lacks the feel of an MMO for me.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • ErrunurErrunur Member Posts: 1
    1. I completely agree with people,about the f2p that's a little too restricted. 2. Even though its a great game.  3. SWTOR is starting too improve. 4. If you hate the game then don't play it simple.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by achesoma
    F2P is very profitable. No surprise here. Because most people are generally bad at math. It's a good game buts lacks the feel of an MMO for me.

I'd take a bet here and say that F2P is mostly profitable because of people who already got subscriptions but they are willing to buy the cartel packs from the cartel market, in hope for that special mount or armor or lightsaber or god knows what. The people who do not want to pay simply do not pay. I'm preferred status (paid for a month and for the expansion) and there's nothing "that good" which I'd get as a sub which would make me pay the sub. And I know lots of people like me. I also know a few who spend hundreds per week on the cartel packs.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

you find those static dead planets immersive?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Yeah until you have done 2 chars, 1 from each side, then a 3rd you are just repeating the same stuff

If you want great stories then you can get that from many single player games, including Mass Effect series and even KOTOR from 10 years ago, without paying a monthly fee.

The great stories are not so enjoyable when playing with others who want to just progress and skip everything with space bar, there fore as a MMO it is not viable

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by TookyG
    And in short order that new revenue will fade away (for the most part) like it has with DDO and LOTRO.

Do you have any links to earning reports about these games?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by DocBrody

you find those static dead planets immersive?

I agree, the worlds felt lifeless and dull. The only thing halfway decent is the story. The rest is terrible.

Another couple vids to add to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_hqGsnpp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_TUu8EkZRo

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TorreyHTorreyH Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Vlacke

I agree completely.

Exactly this.  If its nothing else, its a Bioware RPG, set in the Star Wars universe.  If you played the KOTOR games you know what I mean.  For "free" .   What more do you want?  :-) 

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

I was 100% blown away by how well they did the story, but everything else was just kind of meh... It ultimately kept me from buying the game when I had already beta tested it and had other games available with more appeal (CoH until it closed, then GW2). I've been hoping for some game that would equal the awesomeness that was City of Heroes, but have so far been disappointed. I gave DCUO a fair shot, of course, but like many games I've tried, it started to feel repetitive in a bad way. I thought The Secret World might be the next full-blown MMO to win my heart, but again, the formula just wasn't quite right for me (although it is quite an achievement and I think Funcom should be proud of what they accomplished). While GW2 is a perfectly good game with no monthly fee and all the MMO feel you probably need, I'm still waiting for the next big MMO blockbuster.

But back to SWTOR and Bioware: Seriously awesome effort, guys! I just found the game to have zero replay value after going through each unique story (but doing so is more than worth the effort).

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Sorry but this game should of been held back another year or two because it was no were ready at launch. For saying this game needs good reviews. It will get good reviews when it actually deserves some. The story line is way to short and the actions you make with your companions have absolutely no real effect whats so ever to the end game. Its no wonder the game went free to play in less then a year. They were hemmoraging people within the first 4-5 months after it came out because of the late of over all content and the expansions have done nothing to really help the over all problem. But honestly EA should stick to doing games they have some clue about and thats sports games.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by ksternal
    Sorry but this game should of been held back another year or two because it was no were ready at launch.

Actually, holding this game back for year or two would not change a thing.

SWTOR would still have linear questing with no alternative leveling zones, terrible engine that can't support many people on screen, repetitive space combat, uninspired and conservative tab-target combat etc.

Too many mistakes were made in planning & preparation phase of the game, which can not be undone now or later.