Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Conference call: SWTOR with just under 500k subs, 1.7 million free to play

Comments

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Many games are dropping Macros

Many games are dropping official add-ons

Server transfers are fickle, at any one time game stop those. Many if the games I play do not currently have them either

SO

the only thing that you have that realy has a leg to stand in is "large scale PvP"

but then again there are many games that also do not do that, only Instanced PvP..

SO once again sorry, you missed that mark

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by akiira69

Originally posted by Greyhooff I can't believe you guys still believe the massaged numbers coming out of EA. It's like you don't learn your lesson. We know the subs are lower, much lower than 500k. They're including anyone who has been subbed at any time in the last year. And every account created since they went F2P in their F2P calculation, even the ones who stopped before level 20 cap. It's hilarious, but not illegal. Come on guys, we know EA has been doing this with SWTOR since the start. This is not new. Don't fall for it again lol
    Show us these "supposed" facts that show the actual subs number is lower than 500k ill be over here eating my fried chicken while i wait.
    The conference call stated that the subs were just below 500K

Also I believe the sub numbers but I think they were bloated following the release of Makeb. A lot of people subbed to get Makeb for $10 instead of $20, even myself. The sub numbers are no doubt even lower now.

Unless they do start bringing out loads of worthwhile new content (eg Cathar race is nice but not wortwhile (although I have been holding back a char on this but plenty others have gotten all they can stomach out the game to bother playing it again with just a new race. If there was a new class as well then it would have been worthwhile), the macrobinocular quests look worthwhile although have not tried that yet), then subs will just continue to drop from here on out.

i actually didn't notice that many more people playing after the expansion went live, the servers are still as full as they were before.

the server pop have not dropped since going F2P that i can tell, i am sure eventually it will but i don't think it will be as soon as you hope it will.

either way you are not getting a SW sandbox game so you may as well save your breath.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by marsh9799
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
     It's missing many basic elements that we've come to expect from MMOs. 

name one

Again, I don't even personally like the game very much but people post some ridiculous trash

Macros.  Add ons.  Server transfers.  "World PvP" (large scale PvP).  It was missing more at release.

Macros and addons arent basic elements at all.  In fact, lots of people dislike addons.  As for world PvP, poorly implemented doesnt mean its not there.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    in any event, it shows that the game has a healthy stable population of active subscribers. That in and of itself is a good sign for those who play it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How about living breathing world

Rather than a world of perpetual midday, populated by clones suffering from rigormortis.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Rather than a world of perpetual midday, populated by clones suffering from rigormortis.

Were talking basic MMO elements, not things that are sadly somewhat rare in MMOs

• marsh9799marsh9799 Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

Server transfers are fickle, at any one time game stop those. Many if the games I play do not currently have them either

SO

the only thing that you have that realy has a leg to stand in is "large scale PvP"

but then again there are many games that also do not do that, only Instanced PvP..

Almost every MMO out there has all four of the elements I've listed.  Add-ons and Macros go back a long, long time.  Large scale PvP is a more recent development, but pretty much every major MMO has it these days.

Add-ons are very important because default UIs have a very strong tendency to be absolutely terrible.

It's missing many basic elements that we've come to expect from MMOs. 

name one

Again, I don't even personally like the game very much but people post some ridiculous trash

Macros.  Add ons.  Server transfers.  "World PvP" (large scale PvP).  It was missing more at release.

Macros and addons arent basic elements at all.  In fact, lots of people dislike addons.  As for world PvP, poorly implemented doesnt mean its not there.

They're pretty basic.  They've been there since Everquest.  Almost every major MMO has them.  They have them for a reason- it allows substantially more flexibility in ability usage.

Strangia
    Look at the game it cloned
    That's not perpetual midday
    You don't go in a tavern and every npc looks
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Congrats EA, not the game I hoped for or expected, but obvious popular enough to gain control of the IP for games a make money.

Hey, SW:TOR is a very good game.  It's just not a very good MMO.  If they had turned SW:TOR into SW:KOTOR 3 and made it a single player game with a multiplayer option, people would not be complaining anywhere near as much and be singing its praises a lot more.

Besides, EA didn't make the game, they just published it.  Its like hating SEGA for Aliens: Colonial Marines.  Yea, its a bad game, but SEGA didn't make it.  Its poorness is the fault of Gearbox, Timegate, and Nerve.  You can blame SEGA for stuff like Sonic Free Riders, but not Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Well if you are going to talk about a living breathing world what about season changes?
    Why not? how how about actual weather changes, not just set rain on/off

Please spare me your "living breathing world BS" until a game can actually get it right. Night/day is nothing special

If night/day is your definition of a "living breathing world" I feel sorry for you.

Mobs have been "clones" for ages, no game has truely been able to do any different, NPCs are the same

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
    On the macros thing, plenty of mmos don't have them.

I actually agree with swtor on this one thing, rather have no macros than a rift style mandatory macro system.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I'm happy for EA. I'm glad they showed other MMO developers how not to develop their games.
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I'm happy for EA. I'm glad they showed other MMO developers how not to develop their games.

Im not so sure about that, many developers would kill to have 500k subscriptions.

Originally posted by mrrshann618

SO

Almost every MMO out there has all four of the elements I've listed.  Add-ons and Macros go back a long, long time.  Large scale PvP is a more recent development, but pretty much every major MMO has it these days.

Add-ons are very important because default UIs have a very strong tendency to be absolutely terrible.

Again, just because the world PvP was poorly implemented doesnt mean its there.  the others arent game play/content things this they arent really basic elements.

basic mmo elements are things like: crafting, dungeons, raids, guilds

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Good numbers indeed.

SWTOR is growing both in term of the game's quality and the number of people playing it, all the recent content with Makeb was very good and new update is on the way, the fact of the matter is that this game is much better now than it was six+ months ago.

With the exclusive SW licence EA just obtained from Disney i can see them giving a lot more money to Bioware in order to expand and improve this game.

That is why i am also of the opinion that this deal they made with Disney is a good thing for SW core games, the IP is huge, new movies are in the works, EA has the money, 3 great devoper studios, Bioware, Visceral and of course Dice who will hopefully make Battlefront 3, this is a big chance for them, an opportunity, and i think and hope they will do right.

Agreed.  We don't know that this is a bad thing until it turns out to be a bad thing.  Sure, EA does a lot of questionable, if not controversial practices (see every "locking content on the disc and forcing players to pay money to unlock it, calling it DLC" complaint ever), but other than that, they have published a lot of good games.  The Sims 3, Dead Space, the Mass Effect series, the Rock Band series, The Secret World, etc.

Its too early to make judgements of any kind.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Saga of Ryzom called to say hi.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Strangia
    Look at the game it cloned
    That's not perpetual midday
    You don't go in a tavern and every npc looks

WoW was an exceptionally well made MMO and so far the only clone of it that has come close to it is LOTRO in terms of building a well developed world.

Yes, SWTOR's world is overly static and thats partially why its a bad MMO, but its not an incomplete MMO.  There is a big difference.

Some people don't care about immersion adding elements.  Their are games like rift that are doing their best to suck out any immersion left.  much of WoW's immersion has been drained too.

SWToR certainly feels complete to me, it just feels mediocre.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Truly, a post worthy of a 'spotlight' poster :)

Zomg...are you sad haters now so desperate to rubbish any positive SWTOR related news that you have given up pulling made up sub numbers for old games out of your asses and have instead turned to trying to claim that SWTOR is fail because it launched without 'basic' features like, ahem, Dungeon Finder / Macro's?

Lol, that is the very definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel....stuff like macro's and dungeon finder and all of that other stuff are QoL features for sure, but they are not basic MMO features by any stretch of the imagination.

Does every game use a macro system because the entire industry views Macros as a basic requirement for MMOs? Of course not.

Does every game use a lobby style group finder to placate those from the COD generation? Of course not.

Why can you just not accept that whilst you personally may not like the game, this is a respectable set of results that all MMOs bar 1 would kill to have their name next to?

I'm genuinely interested to hear why? I can only put it down to pure, basic tribalism....but this are entertainment products and not sports teams so I cannot see why some of you are soooo blinkered and so sad about it :)

Every game company massages their sub numbers, we KNOW this....so why try and rip into EA and not the maker of your own favourite MMO? The level of sheer hypocrisy amongst some of you haters is laughable :)

Peace

Driz

On the macros thing, plenty of mmos don't have them.

I actually agree with swtor on this one thing, rather have no macros than a rift style mandatory macro system.

I agree that Rift's macro system was very poorly done.  However, being able to use a separate key to cast on focus target, target of target, self, retarget a target, hostile / ally spell variation, repeat large amounts of text is important.  Simply have an assist key is insufficient.

Originally posted by ImperialSun

Truly, a post worthy of a 'spotlight' poster :)

Zomg...are you sad haters now so desperate to rubbish any positive SWTOR related news that you have given up pulling made up sub numbers for old games out of your asses and have instead turned to trying to claim that SWTOR is fail because it launched without 'basic' features like, ahem, Dungeon Finder / Macro's?

Lol, that is the very definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel....

The game launched with no /roll command. It also launched without a combat log. How many more truly basic features need to be listed? Can you imagine a loot master without a /roll?

The game is stable now and has a healthy population, but dont try to pass off missing features as "picky". The game would honestly rival WoW if it had launched with these things.

And for the record...even DCUO launched with a combat log and /roll.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by akiira69

Originally posted by Greyhooff I can't believe you guys still believe the massaged numbers coming out of EA. It's like you don't learn your lesson. We know the subs are lower, much lower than 500k. They're including anyone who has been subbed at any time in the last year. And every account created since they went F2P in their F2P calculation, even the ones who stopped before level 20 cap. It's hilarious, but not illegal. Come on guys, we know EA has been doing this with SWTOR since the start. This is not new. Don't fall for it again lol
    Show us these "supposed" facts that show the actual subs number is lower than 500k ill be over here eating my fried chicken while i wait.
    The conference call stated that the subs were just below 500K

Also I believe the sub numbers but I think they were bloated following the release of Makeb. A lot of people subbed to get Makeb for $10 instead of $20, even myself. The sub numbers are no doubt even lower now.

Unless they do start bringing out loads of worthwhile new content (eg Cathar race is nice but not wortwhile (although I have been holding back a char on this but plenty others have gotten all they can stomach out the game to bother playing it again with just a new race. If there was a new class as well then it would have been worthwhile), the macrobinocular quests look worthwhile although have not tried that yet), then subs will just continue to drop from here on out.

i actually didn't notice that many more people playing after the expansion went live, the servers are still as full as they were before.

the server pop have not dropped since going F2P that i can tell, i am sure eventually it will but i don't think it will be as soon as you hope it will.

either way you are not getting a SW sandbox game so you may as well save your breath.

You would not notice the servers being more full or less in game as each zone is instanced, but the servers have been known to go FULL and at one point there were 5 FULL servers, but now they are mostly Heavy for the same time period, with the odd one going Very Heavy, and that was just after Makeb, a couple of weeks ago.

LOTRO is not a sandbox game, but it shows how a good themepark game can be made, and the SWTOR could have been more if Dallas Dickinson did not rip loads of stuff out of SWTOR within the last 6 months of development that made devs cry

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

So, what EA is saying is that if you tack on the term "free" and water down what you get for that, that many people will still play the game. No brainer. But, if you ask people to pay a sub that many of them won't once the term "free" is applied. Also a no brainer.

All I can give is my experience. Went from a 300 plus member guild down to a handful (9 to 10 maybe) and that was AFTER the game went so-called f2p. I just do not see that much excitement over playing a watered down version of the game or paying a sub while others have the chance to play AT ALL for free. Again, a no brainer to me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Well i can tell you that those numbers are slanted big time.How can they say 1.7 f2p since November?You can only goto level 20 and you can do that in anywhere from 2-5 days.So ALL thosee f2p subs from November are either done playing or don't care to play anymore.

That part should have been obvious,they were definitely trying to inflate  numbers here.So if they are willing to mislead the F2p,why would i think any different on the subs?They are probably counting every single sub they have had since November.

Approx 20 servers ,around 35k per server is around 700k total.I notice only the 9 US servers are busy but might be the time of day.

I would say still not bad,but not the numbers they are claiming.

Here is some REAL numbers.EA stock has fallen almost 40% since that November,this also lead to the recent STEP down or imo told to relieve himself of his duties CEO.If things are going well or holding steadfast,they don't drop that badly and people don't step down or get fired.

Almost all of the blame was on this game,so it is not doing as well as claim.

Uhmm no, you can play all the way to 50 for free, 55 with a 20 dollar purchase.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    I'd probably be more happy for them if they hadn't employed such creative number crunching in the past. Who knows what to believe to be honest. The smoke and mirrors is strong in this one.