Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Invisiblity

ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

No invisibility at all!

However, if you absolutely insist on this old mechanic, then make it only for scouting, no useful skill at all while invisible.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Well you're in luck.

Cause there won't be any invisibility.

• Veil Walker
    • Veil Stalker

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

what about magical invisibility? A mmorpg without magical invisibility? Every mmorpg has had magical invisibility.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    There shall be no invisibility, at least, usable in combat. That is what we've been promised.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Well you're in luck.

• Veil Walker
    • Veil Stalker

Doesn't the Veilwalker effectively have invisibility from every class except the Veilstalker?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• DieediDieedi Member Posts: 9

hunter will have camouflage.

[quote]Doesn't the Veilwalker effectively have invisibility from every class except the Veilstalker?[/quote]

Not sure it's definitive yet

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

THERE IS NO INVISIBILITY IN DAOC!!!!  You can be seen by other stealthers, vamps, or anyone who gets up close to you, or if you don't move.  Its called stealth.  Look up the definition of invisbility.  Invisibility means you cannot be seen.  Period.  And hilarious, how you say, no invisibility, which I'm going to assume you meant stealth.  You provide no reasons for this other than, someone else has something I can't have with my other class.  Well guess what, I can't go blowing crap up and flame on and gandalf everyone to hell can i?  You wanna run around like a f'ing gandalf with a rocket launcher but no one else can have anything else that provides them a unique class advantage.    Next time put more thought and/or research  into your thread, you won't get pwned as hardcore.  Probably do the same in RVR, just run out there without thinking and wonder why you get blown up and want to take away other classes core mechanics.  That or you just came here to start up a long thread about stealth and didnt know how to do it.  Well we can close this thread now, it has zero substance.

in·vis·i·ble

/?n?v?z?b?l/ Show Spelled [in-viz-uh-buhl] Show IPA

adjective
    not visible; not perceptible by the eye: invisible fluid.

withdrawn from or out of sight; hidden: an invisible seam.

not perceptible or discernible by the mind: invisible differences.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by time007

THERE IS NO INVISIBILITY IN DAOC!!!!  You can be seen by other stealthers, vamps, or anyone who gets up close to you, or if you don't move.  Its called stealth.  Look up the definition of invisbility.  Invisibility means you cannot be seen.  Period.  And hilarious, how you say, no invisibility, which I'm going to assume you meant stealth.  You provide no reasons for this other than, someone else has something I can't have with my other class.  Well guess what, I can't go blowing crap up and flame on and gandalf everyone to hell can i?  You wanna run around like a f'ing gandalf with a rocket launcher but no one else can have anything else that provides them a unique class advantage.    Next time put more thought and/or research  into your thread, you won't get pwned as hardcore.  Probably do the same in RVR, just run out there without thinking and wonder why you get blown up and want to take away other classes core mechanics.  That or you just came here to start up a long thread about stealth and didnt know how to do it.  Well we can close this thread now, it has zero substance.

in·vis·i·ble

/?n?v?z?b?l/ Show Spelled [in-viz-uh-buhl] Show IPA

adjective
    not visible; not perceptible by the eye: invisible fluid.

withdrawn from or out of sight; hidden: an invisible seam.

not perceptible or discernible by the mind: invisible differences.

lol +1

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• Veil Walkers will be able to move around unseen by shifting into the Veil. They can even move through stuff like walls to bypass defense. So they'll be invisible to most players until they exit the Veil again.

But that's still very much subject to change.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

Finally!  A thread about stealth!  At least the OP is objective and willing to find a compromise.

Seriously, let's wait and see what MJ has in mind for stealth options in a little more detail, before we twist ourselves into too many knots over it.  The Veil Walker and Veil Stalker seem like they're at the concept phase only.  When we know more details, this discussion will be much more productive.

Additionally, MJ only very briefly mentioned a "camouflage" type ability for Scouts/Archers.  Again, let's see where CSE goes with it.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Well you're in luck.

• Veil Walker
    • Veil Stalker

Doesn't the Veilwalker effectively have invisibility from every class except the Veilstalker?

The way I understand it, Veilwalkers will be able to see each other inside the Veil as well.

And MJ said that the archer/ranger class will have camouflage type stealth.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

I don't understand the need to install 3 forms of stealth classes all to make the whiners about stealthers shut up lol

Seems like an awful large complexity for something that can be solved so easily. To each their own. Guarentee people will whine so hard about this system when people start passing through walls and killing them lol. Always something to complain about sigh, don't worry ... be happy.

Ozek - DAOC

Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

I don't understand the need to install 3 forms of stealth classes all to make the whiners about stealthers shut up lol

Seems like an awful large complexity for something that can be solved so easily. To each their own. Guarentee people will whine so hard about this system when people start passing through walls and killing them lol. Always something to complain about sigh, don't worry ... be happy.

3 forms of stealth classes?

Originally posted by Danwarr

veil walker? veil stalker? camo scout?

they are all forms of stealth in some form or another. whatever shuts up the complainers i guess go for it MJ

Ozek - DAOC

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

they are all forms of stealth in some form or another. whatever shuts up the complainers i guess go for it MJ

One of the only people I ever see "whining" or "complaining" is you.  "Oh no, not something marginally different than what I'm used to!?!?! Noooooooooo!!!!!".

So you can stop claiming that everyone who disagrees with you on anything is "whining".

Originally posted by Taldier

One of the only people I ever see "whining" or "complaining" is you.  "Oh no, not something marginally different than what I'm used to!?!?! Noooooooooo!!!!!".

So you can stop claiming that everyone who disagrees with you on anything is "whining".

You mad bro?

I'm not whining, i'm merely pointing out the fact that the only reason they are over complicating "stealth" is to quiet down the people that constantly complain about getting rock paper scissored... in a . wait for it... ROCK PAPER SCISSORS GAME

thought niche meant something to people? guess not.

Ozek - DAOC

You mad bro?

I'm not whining, i'm merely pointing out the fact that the only reason they are over complicating "stealth" is to quiet down the people that constantly complain about getting rock paper scissored... in a . wait for it... ROCK PAPER SCISSORS GAME

The rock paper scissors argument?  Really?  You think you win on that one?

In rock paper scissors, the scissors cant just always avoid rock while waiting to find some paper.

In games with old fasioned stealth mechanics, the stealthers hunt each other in between killing their targets.  Thats just the way it is.  The primary predator of "scissors" in this metaphor is virtually always other pairs of scissors, not rock.

In case you arent familiar with the game, thats not how rock paper scissors works.

I've yet to hear a fighter be told to go hunt down an enemy scout by himself in a game where scouts are invisible.

Theres a difference between actually dieing to someone vs just saying "oh I cant kill that person" and then not going near them.

Why do you think stealthers end up being nerfed into oblivion in every game?  Because just being able to pick your targets is basically the most powerful utility conceivable in PvP.

Do I really want to see my stealthy character beaten down again just because they didnt bother to put any proper counters for him in the game?  Not really.

Veil Stalkers are not "stealth" classes. They spot the Veil walkers which are the only true "stealth" class. MJ has said that the camo for archers/rangers will root them in place and it will be tied to being in cover/foliage/etc.

So there is only one "stealth" class, and even then it's not 100% invisible.

You mad bro?

The rock paper scissors argument?  Really?  You think you win on that one?

In rock paper scissors, the scissors cant just always avoid rock while waiting to find some paper.

In games with old fasioned stealth mechanics, the stealthers hunt each other in between killing their targets.  Thats just the way it is.  The primary predator of "scissors" in this metaphor is virtually always other pairs of scissors, not rock.

In case you arent familiar with the game, thats not how rock paper scissors works.

I've yet to hear a fighter be told to go hunt down an enemy scout by himself in a game where scouts are invisible.

Theres a difference between actually dieing to someone vs just saying "oh I cant kill that person" and then not going near them.

Why do you think stealthers end up being nerfed into oblivion in every game?  Because just being able to pick your targets is basically the most powerful utility conceivable in PvP.

Do I really want to see my stealthy character beaten down again just because they didnt bother to put any proper counters for him in the game?  Not really.

Sounds to me like you've never played a stealther ... ever. Being able to pick your targets and have that playstyle ability is the reason people play stealthers and why they're fun. You don't get to stand on the keep wall shooting fireballs for 1 hour straight, you have to sneak around pick your target and get a kill, in general this took much longer then it would take a mage type to kill 10 people in a zerg warfare scenario... this is called patience and it should be rewarded.

Stealthers get nerfed into oblivion because games build systems where they are allowed to escape easy after failed encounters and still live and people constantly bitch and complain about dieing to something they can't see .. because "ITS NOT FAIR" or whatever... well if you hop upon a stealther fighting something else and two shot him with firebolts hows that fair lol?

This argument and complaints are sooooooooooo bloody subjective to the situation it's so stupid.

I havn't played a game where there wasn't counters for stealthers, their called tanks and other skills / abilities that make it easier to spot them. Don't talk to me about your dumb excuses why stealthers arn't a part of RPS...

Ozek - DAOC

Veil Stalkers are not "stealth" classes. They spot the Veil walkers which are the only true "stealth" class. MJ has said that the camo for archers/rangers will root them in place and it will be tied to being in cover/foliage/etc.

I know that rofl.... my point is there are 3 classes designed around the one ability. It's excessive complication to an easier simple solution.

Ozek - DAOC

• You mean two classes. And one of them working as a support class when not hunting Walkers, so more like 1½ class.

I know that rofl.... my point is there are 3 classes designed around the one ability. It's excessive complication to an easier simple solution.

Your solution being that stealthers just hunt other stealthers.  You are really just missing the point of rock/paper/scissors.

I've played a stealther in just about every MMO I've played, and thats essentially always the dynamic.  Its a fun little mini-game, but its completely unconnected from the rest of the classes.  The only interaction with other classes is either hunting them or avoiding them.  You dont need a whole class to just be an exclusively "solo only" class in PvP.  Especially in a game thats going to have lots of large scale PvP.

Its just a waste of a class to make something thats only good for sneaking around and stabbing solo mages on the outskirts of a fight.  And if you make it stronger than that while just using those traditional stealth mechanics it becomes overpowering and ends up getting nerfed to hell.

Having paper be a different class from scissors seems to work fine.  Not sure why you would complain that rock will exist.

Originally posted by Axxar
    You mean two classes. And one of them working as a support class when not hunting Walkers, so more like 1½ class.

No i mean 3, archer, stalker, walker

They are all 3 types of stealth / interaction required to"make stealth "work".

Ozek - DAOC

Your solution being that stealthers just hunt other stealthers.  You are really just missing the point of rock/paper/scissors.

I've played a stealther in just about every MMO I've played, and thats essentially always the dynamic.  Its a fun little mini-game, but its completely unconnected from the rest of the classes.  The only interaction with other classes is either hunting them or avoiding them.  You dont need a whole class to just be an exclusively "solo only" class in PvP.  Especially in a game thats going to have lots of large scale PvP.

Its just a waste of a class to make something thats only good for sneaking around and stabbing solo mages on the outskirts of a fight.  And if you make it stronger than that while just using those traditional stealth mechanics it becomes overpowering and ends up getting nerfed to hell.

Having paper be a different class from scissors seems to work fine.  Not sure why you would complain that rock will exist.

I don't even know what you're talking about half the time, you make so many assumptions from what people say its insane.

Some games use stealthers to fight other stealthers, but there has always been abilities given to other classes to be able to help detect them, see ToA Node thing, and Hunter flares , insta Aoe low damage skills etc.

I never once said this was a stealther mini game.

Sounds to me from your "mmo experience" you don't like playing a stealther, so don't play one... gg

Again more assumptions about only taking on solo mages, maybe you shouldn't solo around stealther locations if you're a solo mage? forced interaction is what this games about no? at least a little bit?

Just because you "THINK" that stealth game is boring and not fun doesn't mean a lot of other people do, so dismissing it outright is obsurd and so selfish lol.

Ozek - DAOC

• Originally posted by Niix_Ozek
    You mean two classes. And one of them working as a support class when not hunting Walkers, so more like 1½ class.

Camouflage isn't involved in the Veil walking mechanic.

Camouflage isn't involved in the Veil walking mechanic.

[mod edit]

It's a type of "stealth" a stealth-lite if you will, but its still a type.

Ozek - DAOC