Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Living Story 3 "Molten Facility Raid" Or is it?

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Not quite a raid

I know I know I'm late I'm usually first to do the posts and the vids but it couldn't be helped lately. Sooooo yea I'm back!!! On a alternate pc basically because mine is dead duck. But that aside we have a new dungeon/raid instance. I give it a great high five for actually being a challenge. I have been very critical of things just rolling over loot for us. But this time we won't be disappointed by the challenge. And the characters I actually got into a bit. Rather then think get out my way I wanna kill something. That happens anyway but atleast you get a slight feeling of what happen in this place.

But the attempt to have something a little grander for us to consume is noticed. Some people actually complained about that.........I won't even give them more then the dots previous. What i have noticed is the same people who complain about content. Are the very same people who say they're bored or not challenged. Which leads me to think people just complain just to be complaining. This doesn't help the industry because that leads to a company muting it's player base.

Don't be that guy whose two faced it's not helping. And don't be afraid to give companies credit when they do right. Just because it's not the current in thing to do. The reason I'm saying this is because I can see this game starting to even itself out. And become good balanced in fun and atleast a little interesting. I'd hate to see that slowed by wishy washy community raging. Because it happens and it has a bad effect.

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I don't think the dungeon is particularly challenging. I did it only once in a PUG and I think we wiped only once on the final boss. What I liked about it was that the game was teaching you some of the mechanics of the final boss throughout the dungeon itself so the final boss' abilities were already familiar. The last boss was super fun but I think they could've reduced his health a bit. For some reason it took our group ages to kill it. So we spent like 20 minutes dodging and trying to dps down the boss. So yeah, either our party had super bad dps or the boss itself takes ages to kill. Also it was interesting that you could avoid pretty much all the damage if you dodged/moved away from all the spells being thrown at you. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JetsetBlackoutJetsetBlackout Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I would agree that Molten Facility isn't particularly difficult, but it is fun none the less.  I've played through it a few times, from my squishy necromancer, to my tank-like guardian.  I find it easier on my guardian, just for the Stand Your Ground! shout, which grants stability.  Knock downs seem to be the toughest part of the dungeon.  The boss fight is one of my favorites in the game that I've encountered.  Personally I felt most of the bosses are just dps the hell out of em till they die, but this one was fun, because they are two enemies.  DPSing one straight, while possible, makes for a longer fight, like the poster above me said alot of dodging and evading.  Took me about my third run to get it, but switching from the berserker to the other after you knock down 25% of the berserkers health, helps make the firstorm guy not so powerful, and the fight usually runs pretty smooth maybe 10 mins or so.  All in all I enjoy the dungeon.  Kudos to ANET on this one!  (also, I got the Molten Facility Jetpack skin and the infinite tonic dye recipe...that helped make the runs fun as well lol....all thats left is the mini from the dungeon XD)

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Well I never said it was hard mode. However if you look at past climatic battles. This one actually deserves to have the title. It atleast shows me this time someone at Anet atleast tried. :)
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Wait, who ever called it a raid in the first place?
  • silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Homitu

I think the game does, but I think the confusion the OP is having is, because like a lot of MMO players the OP doesn't actually know the true meaning of the word "raid" but instead automatically associates it with content designed for a group of 10+. 

Then again MMORPG players were never known for their brilliance.

Originally posted by silvermember

I think the game does, but I think the confusion the OP is having is, because like a lot of MMO players the OP doesn't actually know the true meaning of the word "raid" but instead automatically associates it with content designed for a group of 10+. 

Did you not notice the "or is it?" at the end of the title? Or did reading comprehension fall short in your brilliance. The point of the post AND I said in the video. Is people actually me included thought we get something raid like. Not a companion fest dungeon ala GW1. But not to say that was a bad thing it was fun. A tad different and it maybe ego's out there making them say it ,wasn't at least a little more challenging then past additions. But I can't help guys who don't read or listen.....You're on that little island all by yourself.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by silvermember

Nowhere is this dungeon ever called a raid.

You also might want to consider that the word 'raid' has many different meanings based on 'context'. I don't know what it is about these forums, but so often does context get completely over looked.

For example 'a raid on Molten Facility' means something completely different from 'Molten Facility is a raid dungeon'.

That's why it's often a good thing to often read through something entirely, more than once, to make sure you understand what's being told / discussed. Otherwise you're just making assumptions.

I literally said in the beginning of the vid. This isn't a raid it's a normal dungeon with NPC help galore lol. It maybe a glimpse of whats to come.
    Originally posted by Silentstorm
    I literally said in the beginning of the vid. This isn't a raid it's a normal dungeon with NPC help galore lol. It maybe a glimpse of whats to come.

The only reason one would feel the need to specify that the instance is not a raid is if some had called it a raid in the first place.  Hence the confusion over your title.  You put "Molten Facility Raid" in quotes, implying that it had already been called that (by someone else); and then your "Or is it?" suggests that you wish to refute that claim.  Where did you hear that it was a raid (presumably in the MMO sense, not the traditional synonym for "assault" or "attack" sense) to begin with, that you felt the need to clarify that it was not?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The only reason one would feel the need to specify that the instance is not a raid is if some had called it a raid in the first place.  Hence the confusion over your title.  You put "Molten Facility Raid" in quotes, implying that it had already been called that (by someone else); and then your "Or is it?" suggests that you wish to refute that claim.  Where did you hear that it was a raid (presumably in the MMO sense, not the traditional synonym for "assault" or "attack" sense) to begin with, that you felt the need to clarify that it was not?

You're both right.

Keep inmind that this is the internet. Most people don't bother to read things properly, and jump to conclusions based solely on a few words out of an entire paragraph.

As such it's often very important to phrase things carefully, so that even if people read it wrong, it still presents the correct impression.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Don't forget, its only "story mode"
  • MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171

Does it even matter? It's obvious dude you jumped the gun on the post everyone see's it. You were better off not even responding sigh.... Because you're too far wrong for a epic come back. Doesn't matter if you want to concur with the post. Most people did in fact want a real raid.

And a few videos was made , touching on the words used in the preview for the patch.This is just a case of guys having too much anal for breakfest. And too little fonzy in the diet. And if you want to get technical by the time you reach the end. You have 10 characters fighting I/E 10 man status. A lame mans 10 man but it still counts.

Yea i'm gonna say that doesn't count at the end lol. And too little Fonzy? Eh never thought I see the day someone sneak him into a GW2 discussion.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I guess the ancient civilizations of Rome & Greece never "raided" in the traditional MMO sense... oh wait.

As for the dungeon, it was very fun.  The reward was underwhelming though, since it was only 1 glove piece per account, instead of per character.

If you notice a lot of the times when they release content. The system tends to move away from us being able to grind it. And if they release something we can grind. It usually just gets nerfed into no one wanting to do it ever again.
  • AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69

Raid-

1. A surprise attack by a small armed force.

2. A sudden forcible entry into a place by police: a raid on a gambling den.

3. An entrance into another's territory for the purpose of seizing goods or valuables.

4. A predatory operation mounted against a competitor, especially an attempt to lure away the personnel or membership of a competing organization.

5. An attempt to seize control of a company, as by acquiring a majority of its stock.

6. An attempt by speculators to drive stock prices down by coordinated selling.

MMO raid

A large organized group of people attacking a single target :P

Raid can just mean 1 person actually. I raided my fridge not to long ago

Well in that meaning a 5 man can never be a raid. Which I thought it funny they gave you a army of helpers by the end. Samething goes for the Zhaitan fight. You have the Destiny's guys and random air ship people helping. That was originally worded as a raid on Zhaitan.

That caused all sorts of crying and they changed it. But strangely no one has a problem with guild content fights. Which is a large number of organized actual people raiding one target. But if you slap a end game tag on it. Watch how fast the emo whiners come out.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Man I would like a 20 man raid dungeon in GW2 QQ

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Well in that meaning a 5 man can never be a raid. Which I thought it funny they gave you a army of helpers by the end. Samething goes for the Zhaitan fight. You have the Destiny's guys and random air ship people helping. That was originally worded as a raid on Zhaitan.

That caused all sorts of crying and they changed it. But strangely no one has a problem with guild content fights. Which is a large number of organized actual people raiding one target. But if you slap a end game tag on it. Watch how fast the emo whiners come out.

Following the development before and after launch of GW2, I found it pretty disheartening to see how many MMO players are so firmly entrenched in what they expect an MMO to be. It's really no wonder developers don't dare to deviate from the WoW standard, when any time one does try, they get immediately flooded with "that's not how we're used to it" feedback.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    This is as misleading as new headlines saying that the Air Force is being sold for $50,000, but then you read the article and you read it's some old plane that was Air Force One for a few hours while transporting the president. I see nothing wrong with it. Those that are berating the OP just need to be a bit more careful about their usage of words.
    Originally posted by intrinsc
    This is as misleading as new headlines saying that the Air Force is being sold for $50,000, but then you read the article and you read it's some old plane that was Air Force One for a few hours while transporting the president. I see nothing wrong with it. Those that are berating the OP just need to be a bit more careful about their usage of words.

I don't think anyone was berating.  At least for my part, I was genuinely confused.  He made it sound like there was a well established rumor that this was intended to be an MMO raid, and that he was taking the liberty of dispelling this rumor.  Out of genuine curiosity, I then wanted to know about this rumor.  But it turns out that there wasn't one, and it was just poor wording.  Happens all the time on forums.  No harm done.  

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I thuroughly enjoyed the dungeon.  Enemies were a good challenge, and really enjoyed the bullet hell moments (frustrating, but enjoyable).

Also, one of the final bosses is piloting a flying mech that does anime poses during its introduction cutscene.  Can't go wrong with that.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?