Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] World of Darkness: What the Future Holds

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent CCP FanFest, we managed to catch up to World of Darkness's Executive Producer Chris McDonough to talk about his roots with White Wolf and what it means to bring the World of Darkness world to life. Read on and then stop by the comments to chat.

The Masquerade has a huge fan base and a lot of its appeal is playing the various factions and roles within the clans. Will you have anything in game to keep people playing along clan lines?

It’s definitely a sandbox game, so we’re inclined to let people behave how they want to behave. We’re not looking to put arbitrary restrictions in the there. Clans will certainly have differences that will affect how people behave, but not necessarily because we’re telling them “If you act this way you’ll get in trouble.” or there’ll be some repercussions in the system. 

Read more of Blake Morse's World of Darkness: What the Future Holds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I'm curious how they are gonna make Salubri or Toreador viable? Otherwise it's gonna be wall to wall Gangrels and Brujahs. Bunches of Malks to for the "roleplayers".

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm really very curious about how they are going to pull off an authentic V:tM feel in this game.  If they can do it successfully, I think they'll have created something truly different within the genre.

Really looking forward to this one.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    I'm curious how they are gonna make Salubri or Toreador viable? Otherwise it's gonna be wall to wall Gangrels and Brujahs. Bunches of Malks to for the "roleplayers".

I have NO idea what you just said, any of it.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Probably disappointment in spades. Not that I'm doubting CCP or anything, but people are seriously hyping themselves up and discussing minute details when we have basically nothing to work with. It's unrealistic expectations 101 in the works.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

why are all the fantastic MMO games not coming out before 2015?

WoD, Star citizen, Elite, EQ Next.

I hate the current vacuum of mediocrity

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    The moment I saw the title of this article, I raised my hands in the air and quietly yelled "YES! YES!" And now... to proceed on actually reading it.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Still think this will never see the light of day.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

They never ask the questions i want answered. its about the abilities. Some of those abilities are strange to almost useless in a online environment.  The reason they work in Tabletop and in Mind's eye Theater is because the ST's make sure that they have a effect. If i hit someone with Total insanity, Technically they need to have 5 Separate Derangements on them. i mean it would be really cool if the other player started Hallucinating While hearing voices. But a lot of the others are Role Play based.  

And Dominate, This is what makes the Ventrue Badass, will we be given complete control of another PC. given that is what Dominate does i really hope so.  

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    No it will see the darkness of the night ; *

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Dunno, I'd rather go Ventrue, Malkav was fun back in college but I think the past should be left undisturbed...

"What the Future Holds" and it holds only vamps? I liked Mage (or Changeling) better. Again, back in the days, when we played every rulebook we stumbled upon :)

Well, we’ve banned the names “Edward” and “Bella” and you can’t make your character sparkle. (Laughs)

Lol

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Dear CCP...

I wants me some Wold of Darkness NOW!!!!

Dust 514....pfft.....lackluster.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Originally posted by DocBrody

why are all the fantastic MMO games not coming out before 2015?

WoD, Star citizen, Elite, EQ Next.

I hate the current vacuum of mediocrity

Probably because most MMOs become more disappointing closer they are to the launch date ?

Said that, CCP should do better then some other developers. I might even play the game as it doesn't come with implemented MS Excel.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I have NO idea what you just said, any of it.

Bad news, friend.  This probably isn't the game for you, then.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

I am curious too how they will implement certain abilities, also how they will implement the whole Tremere clan, seeing they are a bit apart from the rest, with chantries and the Thaumaturgy.

Also every clan have weaknesses, which made it interesting in case of extreme failures... some are more doable then others.

If they handle the Malkavians as in Bloodlines could be cool  , if you did play one you heard voices, and if you listened to them opened a whole story in the story.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Dracondis

Don't say that!  WoD from CCP could wind up being a LOT of people's introduction to the IP.  Nothing wrong with that!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195
    When CCP scaled back the production it was an incredible disappointment. World of Darkness would be my ideal setting, next to a full on Mechwarrior mmo (not talking about 8v8 deathmatches but a full sandbox with *all* of the Battletech universe).
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I'm thinking when this does finally come out my grandchildren will really enjoy it.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Dracondis

Don't say that!  WoD from CCP could wind up being a LOT of people's introduction to the IP.  Nothing wrong with that!

Who cares about IP, it's a ground based sandbox from CCP about vampires, the hardcore WoD fans will be quitting after the first time the Goons Roflstomp them using some inventive tactic that goes against the lore.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by rentantilus
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Who cares about IP, it's a ground based sandbox from CCP about vampires, the hardcore WoD fans will be quitting after the first time the Goons Roflstomp them using some inventive tactic that goes against the lore.

If you had to pick one game studio that was the most familiar with Goon tactics, which one would it be?

That's why I said inventive.

• QullexQullex Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by rentantilus

If you had to pick one game studio that was the most familiar with Goon tactics, which one would it be?

That's why I said inventive.

You might be surprised at how many WoD RPers are current and former EVE players and intimately familiar with Goons. WoD games are very sandboxy by nature, so many fans gravitate to EVE in MMO world.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

As a long time VotM  PnP player, there couldn't be a worse setting for a MMORPG. The Game VotM is about storytelling and roleplaying, it had the worst combat system known to man. How can WoD be captured by this medium AND still be economically  viable?  VotM isn't D+D or palladium or warhammer, it's a serious roleplaying game.

Who is going to play regular people? That is a big part of the setting , regular people living in the hell hole that is the WoD. 

Hopefully I am wrong and they make a kick butt game that is true to the source material

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Theodwulf

As a long time VotM  PnP player, there couldn't be a worse setting for a MMORPG. The Game VotM is about storytelling and roleplaying, it had the worst combat system known to man. How can WoD be captured by this medium AND still be economically  viable?  VotM isn't D+D or palladium or warhammer, it's a serious roleplaying game.

Who is going to play regular people? That is a big part of the setting , regular people living in the hell hole that is the WoD. 

Hopefully I am wrong and they make a kick butt game that is true to the source material

umm did you even play Vampire the Masquerade Redemption or Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines?

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    this is the only MMORPG that I am waiting for. I have played redemption and Masquerade. I want more.  I would like the ability to play a human vampire hunter, but realize that ain't happening.  I will just wait patiently and see what I can be in this game. Played Malkavian the most in Masquerade - so perhaps that.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

Still think Requiem would have been better for an sandbox MMO. Between clans, covenants and bloodlines (DLC) you really could have made a  very different chars  on mechanics alone.

Last time I heard they are only going to have the same playable clans that was in bloodlines anyway, so it's not like we are going to get all clans from V:TM.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    My concern with WoD is the W. The Sandbox stigma seems to mean FFA and the reason FFA worked in EVE was the time sink size of their game world. Warping through a lot of systems to get anywhere. Setting aside the real size of New Eden and how it was a hundred thousand instances, add in systems and stations, it still amounted to huge. I can see WoD working if they make a lot of buildings in the cities things you can and need to enter, creating massive instance factor similar to EVE. Otherwise it goes the way of Perpetuum where what seems big is turned in to choke points that matter and it all falls apart.