Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's Incompetence Strikes Again - Gold Duplication on RMAH

kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Well, Blizzard released their patch today to fix things in the game.  In doing so they showed their programming skills that lead players to have the ability to duplicate (dupe) their gold.  Players could have infinite gold which then can be sold for real money through the RMAH or used to purchase items.  Happened across all regions.

The developers are a joke.  Incompetently implementing already poor game design.

Worst Devs Ever

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

The biggest problem is they can not do anything about it, except ban the players that they know abused it.   All that gold ( trillions upon trillions ) has been introduced into the economy and the game is completely screwed.  

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I just cannot understand how this dupe method was allowed to get past quality control, Blizzard are not even doing a roll-back, trillions of duped gold allowed to stay in circulation ... shakes head in disbelief.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    The players don't take this game seriously, why should blizzard?
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Do you have a source for this? Cause I couldn't find anything.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    and i tho D3 couldnt fail more.....
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Well, Blizzard released their patch today to fix things in the game.  In doing so they showed their programming skills that lead players to have the ability to duplicate (dupe) their gold.  Players could have infinite gold which then can be sold for real money through the RMAH or used to purchase items.  Happened across all regions.

The developers are a joke.  Incompetently implementing already poor game design.

Worst Devs Ever

*Sarcasm*

Yup you are absolutely correct the Developers are a joke. They should know how to fix every bug before before it appears, and squash every exploit before it happens.

*/Sarcasm*

Oh wait they cant do these things because its impossible to fix these things until after they happen. If you knew anything about programming you would know this. It is our jobs as players to tell the developers about bugs and exploits so the developers can fix them. Posting about it here will not prevent more people from using this exploit.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Blizzard don't take this game seriously, why should the players?

Fix'd for ya

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Maybe they should stop the AH completely and allow better item drops. PS3 version has no AH and giving better drops. I know it would be a nightmare for them to drop the AH but its not impossible just stop any new items being posted until all have expired then remove AH.
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Just another bump in the road. It won't stop people from playing it, except me of course cause the game is still to expensive to buy imo.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by psychobgr
    Maybe they should stop the AH completely and allow better item drops. PS3 version has no AH and giving better drops. I know it would be a nightmare for them to drop the AH but its not impossible just stop any new items being posted until all have expired then remove AH.

Drop rates are fine. Itemzation needs a little love. The auction houses are irrelevant to the game. Just don't use them. When the Playstation version comes out we're in for whole new round of people bitching because they want best game gear Nowwwwwwwwwwwww Wah Wah Wah. Which is the real problem and why there is an auction house in the PC version to begin with.

It worked in Diablo 1 & 2 where people traded in game or from the lobby. Blizzard have dropped the AH on the PS3 version because they admitted it was a trial and error with the PC version and now see it as error.

• NobodyspecialNobodyspecial Member Posts: 1

Drop rates are fine. Itemzation needs a little love. The auction houses are irrelevant to the game. Just don't use them. When the Playstation version comes out we're in for whole new round of people bitching because they want best game gear Nowwwwwwwwwwwww Wah Wah Wah. Which is the real problem and why there is an auction house in the PC version to begin with.

You sound really, really full of yourself.
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Do you have a source for this? Cause I couldn't find anything.

There really is a dupe. Blizzard almost immediately shut down the auction houses until they get it fixed. That stopped all duping. The stupid people will be banned and the gold eliminated. Gold has always been a meaningless part of Diablo. Disregard the poo flinging monkeys.

Link

Once again fanboy number 1 trys to make it seem that Blizzard had their hand on the pulse and quickly put a stop to this dupe, infact the damage had already been done.

Reminds me a lot of the duping fiasco in gw1, devs also said at the time that they would ban all who exploited, yet to this day some players still have mass stacks of duped ambraces.

I wonder how Blizzard will deal with the players that purchased all the top items / gems etc from the ah with duped gold?, yes they need a ban but ... what happens to the players that sold those items for they now have the duped gold.

This mess does not stop there too, what about people that purchased items that had already been tainted with the duped gold for real money?.

Blizzard should have done a roll-back, that would have taken a couple of hours and this mess would have been sorted.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

It worked in Diablo 1 & 2 where people traded in game or from the lobby. Blizzard have dropped the AH on the PS3 version because they admitted it was a trial and error with the PC version and now see it as error.

AH is not in PS3 cus it does not require an internet connection and sony would not allow battle.net to run on top of their platform... that is all.  ah was/is fine as it is, too much entitled bitching as usual.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by sibs4455

I wonder how Blizzard will deal with the players that purchased all the top items / gems etc from the ah with duped gold?, yes they need a ban but ... what happens to the players that sold those items for they now have the duped gold.

This mess does not stop there too, what about people that purchased items that had already been tainted with the duped gold for real money?.

Blizzard should have done a roll-back, that would have taken a couple of hours and this mess would have been sorted.

I don't see anything happening.   They will probably ban the people that duped gold, but I doubt anything will happen to the gold and $ that have already been exchanged between players.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by thinktank001

The biggest problem is they can not do anything about it, except ban the players that they know abused it.   All that gold ( trillions upon trillions ) has been introduced into the economy and the game is completely screwed.  

i'd do  rollback on an exploit that massive.

bans go with it of cors.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Thane

bans go with it of cors.

Hard to do a rollback when non-exploiters would be harmed. Many of which may have RMAH transactions during that time period.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

bans go with it of cors.

Hard to do a rollback when non-exploiters would be harmed. Many of which may have RMAH transactions during that time period.

They already announced no roll back because the amount of people who actually exploited was so minimal.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

bans go with it of cors.

They already announced no roll back because the amount of people who actually exploited was so minimal.

It doesn't take a lot of people to do irreparable damage to the game economy.  Players better hope Blizzard keeps detailed logs of all transactions or hyper-inflation is on its way.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by dave6660

It doesn't take a lot of people to do irreparable damage to the game economy.  Players better hope Blizzard keeps detailed logs of all transactions or hyper-inflation is on its way.

Obvious they do. They already announced that they have taken out 85% of the duped gold, and continuing to do so. So they are rolling back transaction, including the RMAH ones.

Personally i lucked out. Most of my "assets" are in RMAH US dollars ... and there is no inflation there. I only hold a little gold for normal play. That is why i am very happy they have a RMAH.

BTW, gold has gone through a huge inflation since the start of the game anyway.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

And remember to read the TOS, as it states Blizzard can and will ban or lock your account if you use the Auction House as an investment catalyst which to me sounds kind of odd. The TOS also states at anytime Blizzard can take thier currency from you if its loaded into there Battle.net service and they do not even have to tell you why since, hence you agreed to the TOS. Best way around anything, either:

A. Do not use the RMAH or

B. Transfer all cash to Paypal since technically they can't re-withdraw money from Paypal without your consent.

Blizzard has acknowledged the AH was a mistake but is not planning on removing it anytime soon since people have invested so much into it. See what I did there? Now read that first sentence again....It's about time people start realizing companies like Blizzard and Activision have pretty much turned away from communities since World of Warcraft and really only care about how much money your spending with them. It's not wrong in a sense because they are a business. But it can ruin a game for you if you treat it like a job instead of entertainment.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Worst Devs Ever

What's really surprising is that there are still some people care enough to play this garbage.

How about you?

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Removing RMIT altogether would be a great start for the pc version of the game but then doing so also stops blizzard's cashflow. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

Blizzard has acknowledged the AH was a mistake but is not planning on removing it anytime soon since people have invested so much into it. See what I did there? Now read that first sentence again....It's about time people start realizing companies like Blizzard and Activision have pretty much turned away from communities since World of Warcraft and really only care about how much money your spending with them. It's not wrong in a sense because they are a business. But it can ruin a game for you if you treat it like a job instead of entertainment.

That is fine. I only cares about whether the game is fun. It is not like i care about their livelihood, so we are even.

Given the drop rate, and RNG, i have more fun with AH (and RMAH) then without. So i don't want them to take it away. It has nothing to do with investment. It has everything to do with progression.

Getting a good drop i cannot use, and cannot sell is not progression. Getting a good drop, that can be sold, and buy an upgrade is. (Now i would not object to just trading for a good drop i cannot use for one i can, but a AH is much more efficient in doing so).