Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No down levelling?? SERIOUSLY??

Comments

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Odd I've never seen any hubbub over apprenticeship in the MMO's I played that didn't have it and when i was playing games that did have it I never saw anyone use it ><

If it becomes something of an issue Im sure itll get worked on down the road.  Best advice I've seen is grab as many like minded folks you can and post on the official forums : )

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok I just had the most unfortunate realization. I had queued for "Mad Dragon" Dungeon which I had not yet seen. While I waited (long!) in the queue, due to question I levelled up, and suddenly the note: "You have been removed from the queue."

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

I mean, seriously? No downlevelling? No chance to just join a group even though you are a level or two too high? You aren't leaving that to ME, the player?

This isn't right and tbh it SERIOUSLY pisses me off, when I am locked out from content because of THAT!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

I actually CAME to a D&D MMO for the dungeons, for GROUP dungeons. What am I supposed to do while waiting HOURS in the queue? Knitting? Reading books? Of course I level!

Grrrr..

Name a AAA mmo with downleveling, please?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Ok I just had the most unfortunate realization. I had queued for "Mad Dragon" Dungeon which I had not yet seen. While I waited (long!) in the queue, due to question I levelled up, and suddenly the note: "You have been removed from the queue."

I didn't know down leveling was a 'must have ' feature now for D&D MMOS. Your un realistic expectations are of your own and can not blame.... /etc

Looking for a mentoring system is a 'unrealistic' expectation?

Really?

Yes it is. Unless it is as common as say a mailbox and a bank feature. By the way OP wasn't specifically asking for mentoring in his OP.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

As someone who has played D&D games for over 20 years i find this whole debate of leveling down absurd. I mean, if you even think you should discuss a matter of bringing your experience levels down for any reason, something has gone horribly wrong in the game design.

Seriously, when i look at these new so-called role playing games i really dont know if i should laugh or cry.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    That would be frustrating OP, Sorry you encountered that; I find it weird because soon as Open beta hit for everyone I started and a level 60 joined the random Cloak Tower group I was in and ran us through it rapid speed. Speaking of which he added me to friends but I haven't seen him on as of late, wonder if he got banned for xp exploit... *Shrugs*
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I didn't know down leveling was a 'must have ' feature now for D&D MMOS. Your un realistic expectations are of your own and can not blame.... /etc

Really?

Yes it is. Unless it is as common as say a mailbox and a bank feature. By the way OP wasn't specifically asking for mentoring in his OP.

Nah, it not being as common as in game mail doen't make it  an 'unrealistic expectation'.

Your use of the term is silly tbh... It is, in this case, a realistic expectation that simply has not been met.

Really?

Nah, it not being as common as in game mail doen't make it  an 'unrealistic expectation'.

Your use of the term is silly tbh... It is, in this case, a realistic expectation that simply has not been met.

You are confusing mentoring with down leveling. So yes maybe i missed the memo that every MMO must have it because that is how OP's post looks like. And last time i checked even mentoring isn't that common.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

Really?

Actually most games do not have a mentoring system so it's pretty uncommon.

Really?

1. You are confusing mentoring with down leveling.

2. So yes maybe i missed the memo that every MMO must have it because that is how OP's post looks like.

3. And last time i checked even mentoring isn't that common.

1. I am actually not, but was just expanding the conversation to include it. Sorry if that confused you, I should have been clearer.

2. I never said that every MMO should have any feature, I just said that there is a difference between an realistic and unrealistic expectation. Looking for something like mentoring (or whatever) is completely realistic in a modern game. 

3. Actually irrelevant to the point that I am making.

1. I am actually not, but was just expanding the conversation to include it. Sorry if that confused you, I should have been clearer.

2. I never said that every MMO should have any feature, I just said that there is a difference between an realistic and unrealistic expectation. Looking for something like mentoring (or whatever) is completely realistic in a modern game. 

3. Actually irrelevant.

Well i guess it is about prespective.  For me expecting a very uncommon feature like 'down leveling' to be implemented in every MMO and then make a fuss about it if it is not there is unrealistic expectation.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Well i guess it is about prespective.  For me expecting a very uncommon feature like 'down leveling' to be implemented in every MMO and then make a fuss about it if it is not there is unrealistic expectation.

Fair enough. I just consider anything technically or financially possible to be realistic.

I agree with what you say about perspective though.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

I actually CAME to a D&D MMO for the dungeons, for GROUP dungeons. What am I supposed to do while waiting HOURS in the queue? Knitting? Reading books? Of course I level!

Grrrr..

I haven't played the actual D&D game for a long, long time.  I stopped playing before there were 2nd, 3rd, 4th editions so maybe something has changed but from my recollection adventure "modules" always had level ranges attached to them and I do not recall there ever being a "downlevel" feature in the game...

So, yeah it would probably be convenient but to stress that you came to play a D&D game and then complaining that you outleveled a dungeon "module" seems silly.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RideponiesRideponies Member Posts: 4
    i guess i will be the guy that is blunt, You are playing an MMO, Yet you expect the game to find a group for you and make sure you are adequate level for the group, would you like it to flip your eggs and such as well ? These new MMo's cater so much to you whiny twerps it makes it no fun for the rest of us. Make a few friends (it may be hard with your attitude) make a group your self. and then this one will be a real shocker, play half way decent and those friends will group with you again /gasp!!!!!! Or possibly if we are asking the game to do everything for us, can i just put my char in a queue to get his epics ? that would be handy i suppose.   
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by deniter

As someone who has played D&D games for over 20 years i find this whole debate of leveling down absurd. I mean, if you even think you should discuss a matter of bringing your experience levels down for any reason, something has gone horribly wrong in the game design.

Seriously, when i look at these new so-called role playing games i really dont know if i should laugh or cry.

P&P D6D basically levels monsters up to your level. As you level up, your DM will throw more powerful enemies at you, if you play by the rules and/or want interesting combat. Also, many D&D games, including classics like Baldur's Gate 2, leveled monsters up to your level. It just wasn't as obvious as it is in, say, Oblivion.

Whether they level up or you level down doesn't really matter, because it's just numbers.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Betaguy

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

I mean, seriously? No downlevelling? No chance to just join a group even though you are a level or two too high? You aren't leaving that to ME, the player?

This isn't right and tbh it SERIOUSLY pisses me off, when I am locked out from content because of THAT!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

Grrrr..

Hellllo GW2?

Most MMOs it does take at least a little effort to lvl.  Neverwinter is is retardidly easy one sneezes and they gain a level and without batting an eyelash one outlevels a dungeon.

But to the OP, this is WAI.  For better or worse that is how it is.  And I don't buy the Chinese farmers excuse.  If that's the case then they should have made gear BoP instead of this idiotic BoE which just causes a greed fest n postings on the AH.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by furbans

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

Grrrr..

Hellllo GW2? I said AAA, GW2 is B standard. Also the game isn't even a year old, name a game with some street cred at least

Most MMOs it does take at least a little effort to lvl.  Neverwinter is is retardidly easy one sneezes and they gain a level and without batting an eyelash one outlevels a dungeon.

But to the OP, this is WAI.  For better or worse that is how it is.  And I don't buy the Chinese farmers excuse.  If that's the case then they should have made gear BoP instead of this idiotic BoE which just causes a greed fest n postings on the AH.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

The problem I had with downleveling in GW2 was it made the whole game feel the same from 1-80.  I know that's what they were going for,  but for me, it made for a dry experience. I remember there was really nothing to look forward to, leveling wise.  I just played it to the end to see the scenery basically.

As for Neverwinter, just level another character if you want to see the dungeon that badly.  Leveling is fast in this game.  Now you know not to level until you get a que :)

Besides, I'm sure that's not the last you will see of that place. They will recycle that content at 60.  Just like every other MMO nowadays.  You will probably have to run it over and over and over and over and over, for some form of badge, seal, token, banner or whatever that you will hand in for loot. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Most games don't downlevel you, I don't know why you'd expect this one to. The only game I've ever heard of that did that was GW2 but downleveling was touted as one of their big cool "features" of the game that made it different from every other MMO.

yea think gw2 spoiled some people in this regard.. although i really think its a MUST HAVE feature(or at least an optional version like Rift and couple other themeparks) in a themepark game now though.. 

If all games started doing this like gw2, that would be the thing that ends my mmorpg hobby.

I agree with you. I hated it in Obliivion and it is one of the things that I didn't care for in GW2. I think it removes that sense of progression as your toon never feels like it is getting stronger. 

what's the downside making it optional like eq2 or Rift?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

3. Actually irrelevant.

People blasted SWTOR for not having a Dungeon matching LFG tool when at that point no MMORPG in history had launched with one.  

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Most games don't downlevel you, I don't know why you'd expect this one to. The only game I've ever heard of that did that was GW2 but downleveling was touted as one of their big cool "features" of the game that made it different from every other MMO.

yea think gw2 spoiled some people in this regard.. although i really think its a MUST HAVE feature(or at least an optional version like Rift and couple other themeparks) in a themepark game now though.. 

If all games started doing this like gw2, that would be the thing that ends my mmorpg hobby.

I agree with you. I hated it in Obliivion and it is one of the things that I didn't care for in GW2. I think it removes that sense of progression as your toon never feels like it is getting stronger. 

EQ2's system is great, and much appreciated for a game that is overflowing with content like EQ2

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree - or  City of Heroes sidekicking

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

IMO, Rift does it better.  You are able to manually select the exact level you want to go down to.  You can do any content you like this way, and be as powerful or weak as you want to be in relation to the content.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by furbans

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

Grrrr..

Hellllo GW2? I said AAA, GW2 is B standard. Also the game isn't even a year old, name a game with some street cred at least

GW2 isn't AAA? Who else knew this?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Agreed, one of my personal gripes is games where I can't group with friends if we are a few levels apart and when new friends join a game i have been playing for years i have to roll a new character just to group with them. It got so bad in DAoC that as I had an account of level 50s I had to delete a maxed character or buy another account...

Multiplayer games need to give this as an option these days, if not down level, then level matching. Either way works.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Agreed, one of my personal gripes is games where I can't group with friends if we are a few levels apart and when new friends join a game i have been playing for years i have to roll a new character just to group with them. It got so bad in DAoC that as I had an account of level 50s I had to delete a maxed character or buy another account...

Multiplayer games need to give this as an option these days, if not down level, then level matching. Either way works.

agree

EQ2 had down leveling (mentoring) for the last 8 years since 2005

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/43160

wish more mmos offered this optional feature