Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No down levelling?? SERIOUSLY??

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok I just had the most unfortunate realization. I had queued for "Mad Dragon" Dungeon which I had not yet seen. While I waited (long!) in the queue, due to question I levelled up, and suddenly the note: "You have been removed from the queue."

WHAT
THE
FUCK?!

I mean, seriously? No downlevelling? No chance to just join a group even though you are a level or two too high? You aren't leaving that to ME, the player?

This isn't right and tbh it SERIOUSLY pisses me off, when I am locked out from content because of THAT!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

I actually CAME to a D&D MMO for the dungeons, for GROUP dungeons. What am I supposed to do while waiting HOURS in the queue? Knitting? Reading books? Of course I level!

Grrrr..

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Yeah, if that's how it works, then that is a serious oversight on their part.  Weird.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    It is open beta, you should write them and I agree, this should be addressed.  Dungeons should have a level range and if you level during queue, they should throw you a bone (like keeping you from leveling until after).
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Most games don't downlevel you, I don't know why you'd expect this one to. The only game I've ever heard of that did that was GW2 but downleveling was touted as one of their big cool "features" of the game that made it different from every other MMO.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Shouldn't down level for a dnd game. They should only allow you access to appropriate level dungeons.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Most games don't downlevel you, I don't know why you'd expect this one to. The only game I've ever heard of that did that was GW2 but downleveling was touted as one of their big cool "features" of the game that made it different from every other MMO.

yea think gw2 spoiled some people in this regard.. although i really think its a MUST HAVE feature(or at least an optional version like Rift and couple other themeparks) in a themepark game now though.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

You could always just go in through the dungeon's door. There's elite versions of all the dungeon's at max level as well.

Skirmishes are the real problem because there's no way to do them once you out level them.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

You should be able to go into dungeon if you make your party and walk to dungeon. 

This is just imo donno if you can do it.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Lokberg

You should be able to go into dungeon if you make your party and walk to dungeon. 

This is just imo donno if you can do it.

You can

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Probably the biggest downside of the game for me (P2W is only a close second) is that there is no mentoring/apprenticeship/sidekicking/level sync/level scaling feature in the game so playing with friends is a chore and unrewarding.  We have a guild of people playing all different levels and can't really play together.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    umm instead of complaining here on MMORPG.com.. You could put it on their website in a friendly sort of suggestion way. just saying.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I like how the OP says it like it's the norm in all games when it's only been in a few. Still, yes, it's better to have it than not, for sure.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    the reason why is because Chinese farmers use this tactic to farm areas. i for one am glad you cant de-level.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by akiira69
    the reason why is because Chinese farmers use this tactic to farm areas. i for one am glad you cant de-level.

Punishing normal players for things Chinese farmers do is never a valid reason.  I'm glad you don't like the fact we can't downlevel, but for people who want to group with their friends and guildies it's a serious issue.

Besides, I fail to see how this effects Chinese farmers.  Actually the best way to farm right now I found is to go into a Dungeon at higher level and sell the blues (since everything in the game is BoE) bosses drop on the auction house.  If anything downscaling would make it more difficult to do that since you can't steamroll through dungeons like Cloak Tower with a level 60 if you are downscaled to the appropriate level.  Could you explain how downscaling benefits farmers?  You still the same loot clearing low level things at level 60 and it's far faster when you are one shotting everything.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by AIMonster

Punishing normal players for things Chinese farmers do is never a valid reason.  I'm glad you don't like the fact we can't downlevel, but for people who want to group with their friends and guildies it's a serious issue.

Besides, I fail to see how this effects Chinese farmers.  Actually the best way to farm right now I found is to go into a Dungeon at higher level and sell the blues (since everything in the game is BoE) bosses drop on the auction house.  If anything downscaling would make it more difficult to do that since you can't steamroll through dungeons like Cloak Tower with a level 60 if you are downscaled to the appropriate level.  Could you explain how downscaling benefits farmers?  You still the same loot clearing low level things at level 60 and it's far faster when you are one shotting everything.

So basically what you want is the same type of system that is in STO and EQ2 a mentoring Service. where you are the same level as the lowbie to help them with quests. with the amount of people that are in game at any given time i dont see a need for it. id rather see Cryptic fix the issues with server stability and bugs. this is open beta people wait till the game goes live to ask for goodies like this.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

So basically what you want is the same type of system that is in STO and EQ2 a mentoring Service. where you are the same level as the lowbie to help them with quests. with the amount of people that are in game at any given time i dont see a need for it. id rather see Cryptic fix the issues with server stability and bugs. this is open beta people wait till the game goes live to ask for goodies like this.

It's actually a system that is in nearly every modern MMO in some form or another.  I can list about 20 MMOs that have such a service.  I think Cryptic mentioned they are going to add the system in later, but it's shocking they don't have it in place considering it's in every other Cryptic MMO at release.

The need for it is I can't play a MMO with my community because we are all different levels and trying to stay at the same level is hard to schedule around, tedious, slow, and doesn't allow me to play the game solo when I want to.  It may not effect you, maybe you aren't part of a large guild or gaming community, but it certainly effects us when we can't play together because there is no system like this in place.

Please don't play the "open beta" card either.  Once you start charging for a game and not wiping characters you forfeit the right to use the term open beta IMO.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

yea think gw2 spoiled some people in this regard.. although i really think its a MUST HAVE feature(or at least an optional version like Rift and couple other themeparks) in a themepark game now though.. 

If all games started doing this like gw2, that would be the thing that ends my mmorpg hobby.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ok I just had the most unfortunate realization. I had queued for "Mad Dragon" Dungeon which I had not yet seen. While I waited (long!) in the queue, due to question I levelled up, and suddenly the note: "You have been removed from the queue."

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

I mean, seriously? No downlevelling? No chance to just join a group even though you are a level or two too high? You aren't leaving that to ME, the player?

This isn't right and tbh it SERIOUSLY pisses me off, when I am locked out from content because of THAT!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

I actually CAME to a D&D MMO for the dungeons, for GROUP dungeons. What am I supposed to do while waiting HOURS in the queue? Knitting? Reading books? Of course I level!

Grrrr..

Just like TESO which imo is a good thing.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

That happend to me to, you cant que for it if you are to "high" level BUT you can go in as normal in the old facion way...so you have to LFG thing :) in the chat

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    So, the moral of the story is don't continue to level if you know you are at the top end of a dungeon and want to join a party via the DF tool. Or, if you are too high level, go form your own party of friends as the game won't stop you from doing this.

I really don't see the problem.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94

Actually, it might be that Cryptic never really figured out how to down level players properly, which is why they don't do it in NWO. For example, in CO being downleveled from 31 to 30 will halve your DPS, but you don't actually double your DPS from 30 to 31, so your character gets horribly penalized. Furthermore, one of their events earlier this year accidentally permanently downleveled characters to 1, so there's something in the background that can go pear shaped if they're not careful.

CO runs on a slightly older version of the engine that NWO is built on, so if they can't figure out how to get downleveling to work in that game, chances are they can't figure out how to get it to work in NWO.

You do realize that PWE blocks a good chunk of Asia and any proxies they can find, right? Only farmers you'll find in NWO are of the non-Chinese, non-Egyptian, non-Russian, non-Vietnamese, non-Korean variety.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by David_Lopan
    It is open beta, you should write them and I agree, this should be addressed.  Dungeons should have a level range and if you level during queue, they should throw you a bone (like keeping you from leveling until after).

another unfortunate person who yet havent come to this century on online gaming, open betas nowadays are smooth launches yes changes can be made but saying word " open beta " is not excuse of anything anymore.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK?!

THAT IS NOT FUNNY! image

Grrrr..

I didn't know down leveling was a 'must have ' feature now for D&D MMOS. Your un realistic expectations are of your own and can not blame Cryptic for that.

However you can still look for group old fashioned way and enter the dungeons by traveling to the appropriate zone if that is not too much work for you.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Yeah, it's been a must have for me since EQ2, must say.

Mentoring is a great addition, it really opened that game up with regards to playing with friends (and at the same time opened the wider community up by enabling high levels to help out newbs etc).

Surprised a modern MMORPG went live live without it tbh.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I didn't know down leveling was a 'must have ' feature now for D&D MMOS. Your un realistic expectations are of your own and can not blame.... /etc

Looking for a mentoring system is a 'unrealistic' expectation?

Really?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by waynejr2

If all games started doing this like gw2, that would be the thing that ends my mmorpg hobby.

I agree with you. I hated it in Obliivion and it is one of the things that I didn't care for in GW2. I think it removes that sense of progression as your toon never feels like it is getting stronger. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?