Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I come back to ff11? how long will it take me to catch up?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I been thinking of coming back to ff11 mainly because mmorpgs lately just aren't any good, they are all the same shitty solo quest hub to quest hub crap that wow has turned them into. Here are my jobs.

I have all xpansions etc except the very recently released one, have all jobs unlocked, 75 thf, 75 brd, most other jobs are 40 range or so, haven't done much aht urgan or goddess stuff, but I can always go back to that later. How long will it take me to catch up? and what are the major changes that have happened in the last year or so?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Not long. If your going to come back to the game, then i suggest buying the new expansion thats priced at 39.99 as it includes everything that has come out in the game so far. The biggest benefit being that it has all of the abyssea add-ons, which would cost 30.00 dollars if you bought them individually. So basically your only paying an additional 9.99 for an expansion. The game has changed alot, but its still very fun. I went back 2 weeks ago and have been totally lost in the game again. It feels good. There is soooo much to do that there will never be a moment where you say there is nothing to do.

It will take you about 2-4 hours to get your 75 jobs to 99. This is through abyssea. The massive downside to this is that the exp comes so fast, that you will have to skillup in other areas, or just in abyssea at a slower pace. There are quests that you need to flag asap as these items build over time. You need to start the quest that gives voidstones, and start abyssea so you start getting those stones as well. FFXIclopedia will help you in that aspect if needed. There is far far too much for me to add in here, so Check ffxiclopedia, look at weapons and armor and things you may want at 99, and just read up on how to obtain them. That will be where you want to start.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Kinda hesitant on the whole, super fast leveling thing, I feel it kinda ruins the game, it was never meant to be that way.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

Then you would have to find a Set up a static party. However, it will be impossible almost. I feel that the way people are looking at the game now, is that there is sooo much to do once you actually hit 99, that taking the time to get to 99 isnt worth it anymore. I'm not a fan of the super fast leveling either. But trust me on this, there is soo much to do, that you dont want to waste time leveling. 

Magician trials

Relic weapons

Merits

Voidwatch

Weapon skill points

Weapon skill ups

Atma's

Atamacite

Missions

Revies

Quests

Area unlocks

This is just some of the stuff you have to do at 99 and this isnt even half of it. With so much content to do 75+, and this game being close to 10 years old, i dont think anyone really cares about the experience to endgame, only the endgame content.

Yeah this is the reason why mmorpgs are no longer worlds, but bascally single player games till you hit level cap, due to that kind of mentality. Its destroyed mmorpgs they are nothing but a former shell of what they used to be.

or

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Yeah this is the reason why mmorpgs are no longer worlds, but bascally single player games till you hit level cap, due to that kind of mentality. Its destroyed mmorpgs they are nothing but a former shell of what they used to be.

I'd agree with you most of the time but I give older games like ffxi a pass on this. The game was very much about the journey for years but with 99% of the player base with multiple lvl 99 jobs if you had it set up the old way nobody would return or start new. It would be too difficult without the majority of the player base taking part in the journey with you like back in the day.

Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Siveria

I'd agree with you most of the time but I give older games like ffxi a pass on this. The game was very much about the journey for years but with 99% of the player base with multiple lvl 99 jobs if you had it set up the old way nobody would return or start new. It would be too difficult without the majority of the player base taking part in the journey with you like back in the day.

Well thats why they doubled exp in all the old world locations as well as remvoed the 1 hour time limit between getting exp from the field manuals (they still kept it for gil/tabs). Honestly leveling up was never the hardpart about ff11, it was finding people willing to help you with old content, which is probally even moreso an issued today.

or

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Leveling up was never the hard part but it was a very time consuming part of the game. I don't understand why you used those examples when you were talking about it being a journey either. Double xp, non stop FoV, and xp chains for GoV all made it quicker to level and encouraged people to ignore the journey and rush to end level as much as any other system in place today.

Also getting people to help you with old content wasn't hard back when it took a long time to level because it wasn't old content it was new content. Now yes it is can be hard to get people to help you with old content but honestly most of that stuff people won't help with is because it's unnecessary. I and many others have no problem helping people with level caps, missions that get them access to areas, and other necessary stuff. Yet if somebody asks me to help them get some garbage piece of AF that wasn't even good when it was released I'm gonna say no. If you wanted the journey of ffxi you're a minimum 5-6 years too late. It sucks but that's what happens when games get old.

Originally posted by k11keeper

Leveling up was never the hard part but it was a very time consuming part of the game. I don't understand why you used those examples when you were talking about it being a journey either. Double xp, non stop FoV, and xp chains for GoV all made it quicker to level and encouraged people to ignore the journey and rush to end level as much as any other system in place today.

Also getting people to help you with old content wasn't hard back when it took a long time to level because it wasn't old content it was new content. Now yes it is can be hard to get people to help you with old content but honestly most of that stuff people won't help with is because it's unnecessary. I and many others have no problem helping people with level caps, missions that get them access to areas, and other necessary stuff. Yet if somebody asks me to help them get some garbage piece of AF that wasn't even good when it was released I'm gonna say no. If you wanted the journey of ffxi you're a minimum 5-6 years too late. It sucks but that's what happens when games get old.

Only stuff I'd look for help with really, is subjob at 18, then getting to rank 5 in my nation for airship access, and then the level cap increases that are not soloable. Was debating on a whm or dancer for my first job to 99. Mostly because both are good for complete quests, dancer at 50 has spectral jig and chocobo jig, whm has ports and sneak/invis, and stuff. Though I bet if I was gonna solo a bit, dancer would be the better choice, i'd prob level whm to 30 first just so I can use sneak/invis to sneak around and get shit done. But I bet thats not gonna be easy with whms lack of offense, i'd have to hope I can find someone to level with because solo a whm at low levels is painful.

or