Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They must be trying for "Most unlikable main character"

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

It's depressing as, in Farscape, Chriton was just so damn awesome. As was his entire cast. Memorable.

This, so far, is just unbelievably generic. The main character makes you want to hate him with being a walking cliche.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

It's depressing as, in Farscape, Chriton was just so damn awesome. As was his entire cast. Memorable.

This, so far, is just unbelievably generic. The main character makes you want to hate him with being a walking cliche.

The main character?  You mean the scientist?  He actually gets more interesting the further you go.  It's called character development.  Not everyone has to start off as a badass.

You make me like charity

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Not talking about the game. About the show.

What I am saying is, this is from the same guy who made FarScape. Clearly, he was hit by a bus since then and lost the idea of originality.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

What I am saying is, this is from the same guy who made FarScape. Clearly, he was hit by a bus since then and lost the idea of originality.

Ah, well perhaps clarifying who and wtf you were talking about would have been a nice start.

I think the show revolves around several main characters, each getting their own time for development.  Next week focuses on Irissa, for example.

I prefer shows with many interesting characters instead of one character and things that may as well be talking furniture for all their story.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the game since this is a gaming forum...

You make me like charity

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Ah, well perhaps clarifying who and wtf you were talking about would have been a nice start.

I think the show revolves around several main characters, each getting their own time for development.  Next week focuses on Irissa, for example.

I prefer shows with many interesting characters instead of one character and things that may as well be talking furniture for all their story.

LoL.. image

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They may as well of called the show Eurika2 it's the same plot pretty much.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You can only ask so much from SyFy tho. B-Rates has been there thing for so freaking long now.. HaHa

Ice Spiders, Swamp Valcano, the list goes on and on..

I love SyFy tho, most of their movies provide ample chances for  ROFLURFAO moments..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You can only ask so much from SyFy tho. B-Rates has been there thing for so freaking long now.. HaHa

Ice Spiders, Swamp Valcano, the list goes on and on..

I love SyFy tho, most of their movies provide ample chances for  ROFLURFAO moments..

Still, it absolutely blows my mind that BSG was a SciFi Original, and now they come out with this garbage.  I like the show from the perspective of "there's little other sci fi to watch", but on any other merit, it's pretty weak.  I keep waiting for a character or two to jump out and make me care, but so far none of them have.  Compare this to a show like Firefly where each of the characters were extremely interesting, and they all meshed well together.  This isn't even in the same ball park.

I'll keep watching it because I know a lot of shows had weak launches until they hit their stride, but if they don't start pulling it together towards the end of the season, I don't see myself wasting the time. Hell, Caprica was way more interesting, and they canceled it after a season.  What about Stargate Universe?  Far and away better than Defiance and canceled.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Given this thread, I'm real excited to watch yesterday's episode.  It's still sitting on the DVR.

Must have been some lol-worthy stuff.

That said, I'm personally enjoying the show. /shrug

EDIT:  Good point about Caprica.  That was interesting and I hated that it was only one season.  They could have done so much given the time period.

Originally posted by Acidon

Given this thread, I'm real excited to watch yesterday's episode.  It's still sitting on the DVR.

It's ok, it's just that nothing really grabs me and makes me care.  I watch it because there's nothing else on, basically. It screams low budget too.  I hope they pull it together, but nothing about the actors really makes me think it's a diamond in the rough.  The writing is pretty weak too.

The game is being hammered by its biggest fans for lack of content and bug fixes right now.  Seems like they should have picked the game or the show and put the money into one of them instead of both.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Yeah, I just don't understand.

Same Network as FarScape. Same Director as FarScape.

And yet...he comes up with generic plots, and cliche characters.

FarScape made me think Science Fiction shows could be more than "PEW PEW, LASERS!"

Hell, the CGI even looks better than Defiance.

Makeup, too.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Meh... Main character seems like the typical han solo-archetype (scoundrel with a good heart, grudgingly choosing to do the right thing over profit). I actually found his "daughter" to be much more interesting to follow, and the preview clips show her getting more face-time in the future. 

Still like the show so far, though after the pilot episode the plot slowed way the hell down - which was to be expected, they needed to grab viewers, which they did, now they're trying to ensure longevity. I doubt the show will ever reach Farscape proportions, but I'd definitely call it a success.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I am actually enjoying the show and the characters... in-fact after watching the show i ended up buying the game even tho i know its only average at best but it passes the time and lets me learn a bit more about the Defiance world..

Don't get me wrong I only picked the game up because it was very cheap as it gets pretty boring really.. Follow marker to here, kill those, follow marker, kill more, follow marker kill.. Basically no character development.. selection of weapons seems pretty good.. gear seems to do nothing for your character as there are no stats to affect anyway.. still I'm pretty early on in the game so who knows it might get better.

Anyway that's besides the point the TV series has been pretty good so far I find the episodes seem a bit short but there we go..

Yeah, the show itself isn't bad in some respects.

It's just the main character is so unlikable. He has no qualities about him that I can go "Oh, cool".  His smug face looks like it needs a few teeth knocked out, too. He just has one of those faces...you want to punch. Guy must've had a rough life.

I'm going to keep watching the series, but man, I can't stand how this is turning out like The Walking Dead Season 2. It's BARELY Science Fiction and mostly just human problems.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

EDIT:  Good point about Caprica.  That was interesting and I hated that it was only one season.  They could have done so much given the time period.

I also like Caprica.  I thought it was awesome and was going to do really well.  It had interesting characters and stories and in the BSG world! I couldn't figure out why it got canceled after 1 short season.  The general public thought it wasn't good?  Morons.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    He's still better than Treesus... I mean Trahearne. 
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

The whole show is horribly cliched, actually buttock-clenchingly cliched in areas.  

And if I watch one more episode with some god-awful emo soft-rock tune over a montage of all the characters reactions to events at the end of the show I will throw something through the TV.  The end-of-show montage in episode 4 and the accompanying song felt like it had been lifted straight from Team America: World Police. 

Originally posted by Slukjan

I also like Caprica.  I thought it was awesome and was going to do really well.  It had interesting characters and stories and in the BSG world! I couldn't figure out why it got canceled after 1 short season.  The general public thought it wasn't good?  Morons.

It had high production values / cost, so it needed a much larger audience to be profitable for them.  I also think they went a little too existential with the theme early on.  BSG at least waited mostly until the last couple seasons to get really weird in that way, where Caprica started out of the box pretty deep.

I've learned from talking to people about that show, and about movies like Inception, that a large percentage of the population has trouble following a story that has multiple layers happening at once.  They literally get lost and confused.   I think the VR world and the ghost in the machine aspects of Caprica were difficult for some people to follow.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    I've liked the show so far, but if the sci-fi lineup also included caprica and universe it would be the weakest link.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I don't really like Nolan, but Irisa is kinda cool, in a primal, dangerous hotty way lol.  My favorite character is Datak Tarr,  I like the Castithan race as a whole too.  Plus sitting around in a bath all day with Stahma doesn't hurt either lol.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I don't really like Nolan, but Irisa is kinda cool, in a primal, dangerous hotty way lol.  My favorite character is Datak Tarr,  I like the Castithan race as a whole too.  Plus sitting around in a bath all day with Stahma doesn't hurt either lol.

The interior shots of Datak's house hurts my brain especially the bath house. Lol are they bathing in milk?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

+10 for intellectual post.  There is no one main character there is many.  I love the show it is better than Walking dead, breaking bad, and arrow to me.  Defiance, Game Of Thrones and  Vikings are my three top shows of 2013, thus far.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Hmm... I like the show so far. Got a real "Daddy worried about his little girl who's growing up" vibe there with Nolan from the episode that explored her "vision". Being the daddy of a little girl who's growing up (11, it's coming... yikes!) it hit home a little bit. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Betaguy

I love the show it is better than Walking dead, breaking bad

Whoa whoa whoa, i like the show, but this is just blasphemy.

I prefer ensemble casts with many flawed characters.  I absolutely cannot stand black/white right/wrong bullshit.  I do love my Han Solo characters though and I'll wait and see where the show goes.  It's definitely not Firefly though.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I think I see your problem here, Farscape is a once in a lifetime kinda show so your expectations are pretty massive :)

I agree they are different but I'm really enjoying Defiance so far, its also early but I think they have had some so-so episodes and some really awesome ones so far.