Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Conference call: SWTOR with just under 500k subs, 1.7 million free to play

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I did more number crunching. :D

They sold over 2 million,i will guess 2.5 mil copies.What is the going rate 50?I am sure many bought cheaper copies on sale from Steam or other,so lower that to maybe 40?

I figure they made around 100million in sales for sure,but of that how much do they actually keep?Maybe 20 bucks per ?

So possibly 500k in profits.Apparently the game cost 200 million to make.IMO way over budget for what the game did but EA is famous for throwing tons of employeesat a project to meet it's deadine,so tons of wasted over time.

If you belive the 500k subs that is around 7-8 per month.So at 8 that is 96 million.It would take them at that rate another  2 years to break even,not bad imo.You have to figure in some added cost over all this time.It took FFXI 5 years to break eventhey never seemed worried,it is now going on 10+ years.

I think possibly greed gets the better of them,they wanted instant profits to show the stock holders,buyers.EA should have known from the day they took it on,this was not an Ip you can rush and do in a lazy cheap fashion,this is the biggest IP on the planet,you need a full out effort here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Well i can tell you that those numbers are slanted big time.

Ok, thanks for letting us know. 

I didnt even look at F2P numbers, they dont mean shit.

500k subs on the other hand, is respectable.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

One thing is sure. Investors liked what they've heard. EA stocks jumped almost 8% after closing today... so far.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Have to admit, those are pretty encouraging stats for a healthy MMO so, congrats to EA/BioWare.

for a standard mmo 500k is good

so either , the name has lost its power, or the game is sub standard

EVE has no name to back it up, and its over 8 years old, and theyre at the same level

the "just below..." sentence sounds familiar too

but at least we have a number now,,200k above my guess

that would put them roughly at the point, when they went F2P

if this is success, id hate to see a failure

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

That's a lot better than I expected, since 500k people was what they had when they first went F2P. Not bad. I don't think it's anywhere close to what they wanted, but it puts the game in the realm of survival or even profitable.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by MyBoot

Most MMO's would kill for 500K subs

Look at EVE it's been around for years and never had that many subs and it's considered a success.

Most MMO's don't have expensive IP's to license, or development budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

Regardless it still makes it the 2nd largest Sub based MMO I believe. 

^ This :)

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

Umm...If this is true, please back it up with proof. Until you can show where you get your information from, don't say "Wrong" and spit some made up numbers there.

[mod edit]

No clue ...-_- I don't think he understands how many people that is for an mmo.

I cant talk about Tera currently or rift, but Aion is the WoW in asia with millions of subs and in the financialreport from NCsoft Lineage 1 was earning  in Q3 of 2012(the same quarter GW2 released with 2 million boxes) the same amount as GW2

Lineage 2 is not far behind either. So yeah Swtor in terms of sub games is what...5th or 6th?

All this information is public by the way, just go to ncsoft page (owner of most of the games he listed)

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by austriacus

No clue ...-_- I don't think he understands how many people that is for an mmo.

I cant talk about Tera currently or rift, but Aion is the WoW in asia with millions of subs and in the financialreport from NCsoft Lineage 1 was gaining  in Q3 of 2012(the same quarter GW2 released with 2 million boxes) the same amount as GW2

Lineage 2 is not far behind either. So yeah Swtor in terms of sub games is what...5th or 6th?

All this information is public by the way, just go to ncsoft page (owner of most of the games he listed)

Aion is F2P - no subs.

Lineage 1 - weren't all US servers shut down?

Lineage 2 is F2P hybrid ?? - please link sub numbers

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

SWTOR gets more unwarranted hate than any MMO to date including wow.

but if you take the emotion out of it, its a pretty decent game and better than most of the crap out there that a lot of people here claim is better.

especially if you are a KOTOR fan, because then you are used to it being linear and playing the game for the stories and not the mmo endgame aspect,which is really the only area it lacks IMO

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

harharhar L1 and 2, AION and TERA are all still huge in Korea. Not to mention they still are running over here in the western market (Except L1). RIFT had just under a million subs last I checked what a year ago? And they just launched storm legion which did pretty well itself . As for UO a study came out in 2012 stating that there were a total of 495k players that had logged in in the last 30 days (November I believe it was taken) that were unguilded players. That is the last concurent data on the game so it is all we have to go by. 

Yeah, you are so off its hilarious.

Rift peaked its first month around 600k and was around 250k by the time the year ended.  Most likely its somewhere around 175-200k these days

L2, TERA and AION at their western peaks wouldnt total 500k if added together.  Brining up their success in the east is silly because the two markets are so enormously different.

UO peaked at 250k subs

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

harharhar L1 and 2, AION and TERA are all still huge in Korea. Not to mention they still are running over here in the western market (Except L1). RIFT had just under a million subs last I checked what a year ago? And they just launched storm legion which did pretty well itself . As for UO a study came out in 2012 stating that there were a total of 495k players that had logged in in the last 30 days (November I believe it was taken) that were unguilded players. That is the last concurent data on the game so it is all we have to go by. 

Yeah, you are so off its hilarious.

Rift peaked its first month around 600k and was around 250k by the time the year ended.  Most likely its somewhere around 175-200k these days

L2, TERA and AION at their western peaks wouldnt total 500k if added together.  Brining up their success in the east is silly because the two markets are so enormously different.

UO peaked at 250k subs

Exactly, SWTOR trumps those games with ease, both in term of subscribers and the fact that it's a superior game when compared to them.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Nikopol
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Those are pretty solid numbers for what it is. In 10 years they'll make their money back.

I have this feeling they have already made their money back and pulling in profits now.

This is almost certainly the case. If there's one thing EA doesn't do is throw good money after bad. If SWTOR were truly tanking, EA would cut the parachute loose and let SWTOR plummet to its death. Hell, EA wasn't even willing to support Earth and Beyond because it wasn't 'profitable enough'. 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

A success! The game is doing better than I thought with the F2P model. Even I am playing it now. LOL

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by asmkm22

1.7 million new free to play players doesn't mean a whole lot on it's own.  Is that just new accounts that get created?  Is that a number for active players?  I'm not surprised about the revenue doubling, since they can milk the cash shop for a bit before people leave, but that's it.

The fact that subs are still not able to stay above 500k is a real problem.  Is the game considered profitable yet, or are they still being vague on that point?

ofcourse its profitable, the game made almost double its money back on box sales. Everything they are making now is in the green. people wanted this game to fail, but it hasn't, and it is a good game. it will only get better.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by udon

Regardless it still makes it the 2nd largest Sub based MMO I believe. 

^ This :)

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

Holy atrocious made up numbers batman...

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76

Great!  Now use some of that revenue to convert Warhammer to completely free to play.   What's that's EA?  You only have $ to sink into garbage games?  Oh, never mind, then.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I stated the game had less than 300k subs before it went to the cash shop model, and it looks like EA just confirmed it. 

My big question is did going to the cash shop model fix any of the reasons why people were not subscribing in the first place?  If they did not fix any of the problems, then there is no reason to even care about the numbers, since they will look just as bad in a few months.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Those are some pretty decent numbers. Certainly not what they would have wanted (obviously), but not horrible. 

If they keep adding to and improving the game, their numbers can only get better.

I just came back a few days ago and rolled a Bounty Hunter and I'm having a blast. It's not perfect by any means, and is missing a lot of what I would expect from a SW MMO, but it's fun none-the-less. 

I'm also just bored to tears with fantasy right now. I need a sci-fi MMO and SW gives me my sci-fi fix.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    It's really interesting that people are calling these good numbers when it was originally said that if at any time they have under 1 million subs it would be considered a total failure.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by baphamet

SWTOR gets more unwarranted hate than any MMO to date including wow.

but if you take the emotion out of it, its a pretty decent game and better than most of the crap out there that a lot of people here claim is better.

especially if you are a KOTOR fan, because then you are used to it being linear and playing the game for the stories and not the mmo endgame aspect,which is really the only area it lacks IMO

That highlighted word is one monstrous opinion if I've ever seen one.  As a collector's edition purchaser, planned lifer to the game, and someone who read every novel in preparation of the game's launch, I call it completely warranted.  And of course that's an opinion just like yours, neither more right or wrong.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    More like 50,000  imo
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Margulis
    It's really interesting that people are calling these good numbers when it was originally said that if at any time they have under 1 million subs it would be considered a total failure.

Well I come from a time where the peek sub number was 300k and that was considered just absolutly ridiculous.

I'm not aware of what their budget was and what they need to break even and all that, but ~500k subs sounds good to me. I imagine that there is at least 500k F2P people playing as well. That brings the playerbase to ~1 million. 

WoW is an outlier and I'm pretty much 100% certain that we'll never see that many subs to one game again. So if they were aiming for that, then I would say that that is silly. 

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Obviously F2P would net these kinds of numbers. Last I checked BEFORE aion went "truly free" it sat at around 1-2 mil subs in NA and EU. Rift is probably sitting at the same number of subs swtor has and thats w/o a F2P conversion boost. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Back when it was a sub game. They said they are now making twice as much money as F2P than they ever earnt as P2P.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

You are wrong. This is what was originally said.

"At half a million subscribers, the game is substantially profitable, but it's not the kind of thing we would write home about," EA CEO John Riccitiello said in a conference call accompanying EA's third quarter fiscal earnings report Feb 2011.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Good numbers indeed.

Good numbers? The most expensive MMORPG and the largest marketed one can't even beat EverQuest's old sub numbers? Can't even beat Eve?

Not good at all.