Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WOW has horrible pvp.

2»

Comments

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Blizzard has stated again and again that they DO NOT BALANCE around 1v1 nor at levels other than MAX LEVEL.  They also do not balance around open world PVP either.  It's basically arenas and battlegrounds, that's it.  They do a terrible job at balance at max level, so unless you are the flavor of the month class, you're gimped.  Don't forget that gear imbalances abound, so not only is your class gimped, but your gear is as well.  The good news is, there are new players starting every day that follow the same trap as you... so when they arrive in the BGs, smile when you basically one-shot them because that was once you.  That is the essence of PVP in WoW.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Yea I was just expecting a decent pvp game because of how much money they make.  Sadly however there are tons of other pvp games out there who have done a better job with 1/100th the budget.  I have a few days left on my WOW account if anyone thinks I'm wrong then I accept any challenge to kill my level 70 Paladin in a 2v1.  I'm on the American pvp server zuluhead.  The guy who said the defensive warriors are the strongest is wrong because only the twinked warriors are strong and they are not as strong as the twinked  Paladins, Priests, Druids... Not even close.  Balance cannot be considered without equal gear settings.  Anything is overpowered when they are twinked against new players.

1. It's a MMORPG, buddy.  Don't expect real PVP from a MMORPG.  If you want real PVP find it in real PVP genres (MOBA, RTS, FPS, fighting, etc, etc)

2. Your examples seem to be from completely irrelevant situations while leveling.

3. Impressive someone from Zuluhed!  That server has been empty and "recommended" for literally like 5 years or something.  (This isn't really a positive or negative comment on you; I'm just genuinely shocked/surprised to hear of someone else actually playing there.)

4. Would it be ideal if all classes were perfectly balanced while leveling?  Absolutely.  But it's kind of a stretch and leveling PVP is certainly not the focus of the balance efforts.  So if you care about balance in PVP, you would focus on hitting max level and reaching the part of the game where gear actually stabilizes a little more before claiming you know the true balance of the game.  It's still going to be unbalanced (see Point #1, which is based on the fact that you're playing an RPG and people are going to have gear advantages,) but it's going to be a lot less unbalanced than what you're experiencing now.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Even while they have it, I don't think WoW was designed for open world PvP.

And "competitive PvP" refers to instanced, arena-style PvP, NOT open world PvP. You are misusing the term.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Competitive PvP and open-world PvP are two very different things.

You make me like charity

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I'd give my left nut for good WoW pvp. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Originally posted by Quirhid

And "competitive PvP" refers to instanced, arena-style PvP, NOT open world PvP. You are misusing the term.

Originally posted by asmkm22

Competitive PvP =/= Instanced PvP. 

Instanced PvP = Instanced PVP

World PvP = World PVP

Competitive PVP = any PVP that you compete against other teams/guilds/players, so really all PVP is competitive.  Sorry but Sieges in some of the older OWPVP games were a hell of a lot more competitive than any instanced garbage we have now. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Competative pvp = not a bloody mmo

You can't ram a fps round peg in a mmo square hole.

Mmo pvp will always be unbalanced, better to embrace the mmoishness of it than try and pretend its esports by sticking it in a little box on a timer.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The biggest problem with wow pvp, is blizzard are absolutely bloody obsessed with timers. Even when they finally made outdoor pvp content, they stuck it on a bloody timer.

But that's to be expected when half the lead devs are former EQ hardcore raiders.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by asmkm22

Competitive PvP =/= Instanced PvP. 

Instanced PvP = Instanced PVP

World PvP = World PVP

Competitive PVP = any PVP that you compete against other teams/guilds/players, so really all PVP is competitive.  Sorry but Sieges in some of the older OWPVP games were a hell of a lot more competitive than any instanced garbage we have now. 

competitive *anything* (as  it's used in gaming) implies a balanced playing field.  And I don't just mean the landscape that you run around on, but stuff like things being available to both or all teams (gear and classes) in such a way that player or team skill is the deciding factor.

Open-world PvP, while fun, is almost always a gankfest or a zergfest.  There certainly can be competitive fighting going on, when similarly gear and skilled players cross paths, but that's an exception.

You make me like charity

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Truly balanced pvp is nearly impossible.  I never expected any game to have perfect pvp situations.  The problem I'm having is how horrible of a job WOW has done.  It is seriously the worse I have ever seen out of 15 years of pvp gaming and we are speaking about over 100 pvp games here.  I was very impressed with how SWTOR has balanced their battlezones.  For those who don't realize,  WOW open world mechanics are almost identical to their battleground mechanics.  Priests, Druids, Paladins are overpowered in open world just as much as the battleground.  I definitely would subscribe again without hesitation if they would actually do something about it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?