Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your biggest pet peeves with the genre?

What do you find when you're playing an mmo that really, really turns you off or irks you? In terms of features or gameplay?
 For me i would have to say, instanced zones in a world, or even bigger than that, this huge trend recently with labeling what seems like any kind of online multiplayer game an mmorpg...I read someone here put some blame on websites like this one struggling for content to put such a tag on games like diablo and even world of tanks...Seriously? Either take the first M out of MMORPG or stop calling it an MMORPG.

I recently tried out the Neverwinter "Open Beta" and as soon as I found out about the different channels for each zone, I logged out. Not what im looking for...

So how about you all?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Instancing
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Trinity combat, uninspired quests (or should I say "chores"), respawning mobs, the grind, the downtime... I could go on.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Activities with less emphasis on the people around you.

Lack of open area group content

Fast path to the "end"

Worlds that seen molded and pre-pathed

Lack of diversity between classes and roles
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Instancing is necessary, sorry guys.

Open world PvP is a relic from the past and should disappear in the future.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It is in my signature, stated in another similar thread by someone more eloquent than myself :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by mari3k

Instancing is necessary, sorry guys.

Open world PvP is a relic from the past and should disappear in the future.

Instancing and people like this. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

Also instancing.

Lack of group focused content.

Getting to max level too quickly.

Small worlds with fast travel that give that "tunnel" feeling.

Lack of buffer/cc classes.

That's just off the top of my head, there is much, much more.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    I get so irked by quest hubs with ? and ! over NPC heads. If a game has that I usually quit after a few weeks at most. It bothers me that bad.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

The uncertainty.  This genre has gotten too risky, and it's only getting worse.

We want to buy games.  The only thing the publishers want to sell us are question marks.  They include question marks like, "How can you guarantee to me that this game will last?" or "What sort of guarantee can you give me that this will be the same game six months from now?"  or "How do I know you won't NGE this thing?" or "What happens when I get hacked, the person who hacks me gets my account banned, and I want to get unbanned?" or "How hard is it going to be to learn and re-learn how to play this game going forward?" or "How many patch notes am I going to have to sort through to understand this thing?"

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    A$$hats and cash shops (except pure fluff that's can also be purchased from in game currency)
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Cash shops that sell keys/scrolls to get at loot that dropped in-game ala GW2, STO, Neverwinter and I'm sure many more. Cash shops are OK for cosmetic crap and xp bonus but not for things that you should have earned or even some mystery box crap that has a chance of dropping some rare item.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

Abbreviations in forums.  When you're in game, it makes sense to use abbreviations because you probably don't have much time to type everything out, but on forums, all abbreviations should be explained first.  You can't assume that everyone knows what "Do the LU on the RY when the HG happens or it will be QE on the PU"

If someone is asking a question about something on a forum, the answer should never have any form of abbreviations because if the person asking the question understood the abbreviation, he probably would already know the answer and not have to ask.

It happens all over forums dealing with Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) and doesn't have to.

Abbreviations is my largest pet peeve in the genre by far!

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    My big pet peeve is shortcomings. Literally.

Many MMOs have embarked on great ideas and made mostly grand and amazing games only to fail of several key and fundamental qualities which I can not overlook. Games like FFXI had amazing systems like worldwide community with auto-translate gameplay and a deep and compelling world, only to fall short on combat gameplay and party grief. Games like GW original had an amazing gameplay system and world only to drop new content and over simplify class roles and skills to ease balance.

This is my huge pet peeve, making a game which thoroughly interests me and missing the mark. If I didn't like it, I could care less if it fell short, but to see a game I appreciate or enjoy fail to meet my expectation, or reach its amazing potential is a true disappointment.

I'm looking at a game now that flaunts dragons as an awesome gameplay element, yet your still playing as the human character, and only summon in the dragon part time to auto attack your targets. Why stop at having dragon side kicks? If dragons are so awesome let's play them, not insult them by making them pets and mounts for humans. And how interesting can dragons be when all the creatures are dragon like instead of making a rich world with alternate mystical creatures?
    Some games can even be perfectly interesting but have some piratous sales method which ruins the gameplay and makes the content inaccessible.

It's these shortcomings that upset me, I don't want my interest piqued only to be disappointed.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Lack of depth.  Gameplay seems so shallow.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

I think for me it would be having my hand being held by the games design, I want to be challenged and I want to work for rewards.

Oh yeah and any pay to win cash shop items.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Long down time. No instant travel. Lack of instances. Lack of LFD/LFR features.
  • dc1509dc1509 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Instancing (especially heavy) when you travel from one area to another. (raid instance is fine for me)

I'm also fine with WoW type gear grind fest, but why should it be always so straight forward ?

Why don't developers do randomized raid instance generation, so you won't run the same halls every week, having a chance of rare wings spawn including rare bosses ? (Much like DII/DIII area randomization worked)

This is the reason I always stop my WoW sub after a month (or two) after each major game update.

Edit1:

Oh, and of course - fast travel ruins the RPG feeling for me. All those LFGs/LFRs ... I would prefer to run another mile or two to get to the raid/dungeon entrance and not just press a button to queue up, actually sitting in the city. Yes, I miss vanilla wow.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

My biggest pet peeves? 

One word.     The players.

Now I'm not talking about all the players, but the nitpicky ones. You know, the ones that would say "that's two words eyelolled!" Those people tick me off.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

for me would be

1. To much solo gameplay, some solo would be ok while you wait for a group, but dont overdue it

2. cash shops

3. fast leveling

4. instant travel

5. i've recently come to hate auto-grouping from GW 2 aswell, please have us manuall group, 6 man parties are so much better than a crapload of peaple followning each other killing mobs in seconds. To many peaple at once means can't get to know anyone that way. Smaller groups is better IMO

6. lack of fishing, i love to fish to pass the time while i wait for a group invite, or while i wait to find out what i want to do sometimes, or just to relax after a hard day of work.

guss i'll stop there heh, i could go on...

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Hand holding, fetch quests, and those damn ! And ? Over quest giver heads. It's starting to bleed into console games. 

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by doefromwherever

What do you find when you're playing an mmo that really, really turns you off or irks you? In terms of features or gameplay?

The fact that there is no death penalty even though difficulty has been dumbed down to the point where death rarely occurs. Difficulty needs to be raised again, death needs to have penalties... make the player actually THINK before rushing into a room screaming about his Leeroy.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I love how they attach mmo to rpg and all of a sudden rpg elements no longer have to exist.  I am just waiting for that mmorpg to come out where you dont even create a character. You simply pick from a list of 10 pre-generated characters and watch the game play by itself with minor choices along the way, DragonsLair mmorpg here we come!!!
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

-Bad character control (sluggish/clunky character movement)

-Buggy/laggy (overall lack of polish)

-Half-assed systems (makes you wonder why the devs did what they did)

Pretty much everything that was swtor and warhammer at launch is what I hate seeing in mmos.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

It creates fanbois that excessively defend their beloved games like their whole life depends on it, and haters who love getting stuck head-deep into the mud of their most hatred games.

Long gone the days where a reply "In my opinion, this game..." can be replied with constructive comments without sarcastic remarks. Heck, even my post reeks of hypocrisy lol.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.