Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Conference call: SWTOR with just under 500k subs, 1.7 million free to play

Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Comments

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    link?
  • DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    link?

No link yet, I was listening to the conference call live, it just finished.  Wait for the transcript.  The first question in the QA was about SWTOR and that was the answer he gave.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    That's just the prepared script
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Congrats EA, not the game I hoped for or expected, but obvious popular enough to gain control of the IP for games a make money.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

Good numbers indeed.

SWTOR is growing both in term of the game's quality and the number of people playing it, all the recent content with Makeb was very good and new update is on the way, the fact of the matter is that this game is much better now than it was six+ months ago.

With the exclusive SW licence EA just obtained from Disney i can see them giving a lot more money to Bioware in order to expand and improve this game.

That is why i am also of the opinion that this deal they made with Disney is a good thing for SW core games, the IP is huge, new movies are in the works, EA has the money, 3 great devoper studios, Bioware, Visceral and of course Dice who will hopefully make Battlefront 3, this is a big chance for them, an opportunity, and i think and hope they will do right.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

1.7 million new free to play players doesn't mean a whole lot on it's own.  Is that just new accounts that get created?  Is that a number for active players?  I'm not surprised about the revenue doubling, since they can milk the cash shop for a bit before people leave, but that's it.

The fact that subs are still not able to stay above 500k is a real problem.  Is the game considered profitable yet, or are they still being vague on that point?

You make me like charity

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by asmkm22

1.7 million new free to play players doesn't mean a whole lot on it's own.  Is that just new accounts that get created?  Is that a number for active players?  I'm not surprised about the revenue doubling, since they can milk the cash shop for a bit before people leave, but that's it.

The fact that subs are still not able to stay above 500k is a real problem.  Is the game considered profitable yet, or are they still being vague on that point?

They were quite happy with the performance (they called it solid) and said during the conference call that they have a lot of new content in the pipeline and are committed to their 6-8 week releases schedule for content patches.

Consider what they said in 2011:

"During an investor call yesterday, the CFO stated that with a half a million subscribers, the game would be "substantially profitable, but not the kind of thing [EA] would write home about."

So they currently have that PLUS the F2P/Cartel Market revenue.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Most MMO's would kill for 500K subs

Look at EVE it's been around for years and never had that many subs and it's considered a success.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Subs were under 1 million in August. Under 500K subs is not good when they need 500K subs to break even.

Also it depends on when they took those figures. Even I subbed for Makeb, when I have been unsubbed since F2P went live, and was probably included in that figure for subs, but now I am unsubbed. They probably got quite a few more subs for Makeb since it got you the expansion for $10.

1.7 million new accounts is not great when WOW has had way more than 10 million new accounts for a subbed based games, and still has about 9 million subbers.

Clone Wars Adventures managed to get 8 million users within the first year, reckon SWTOR will beat that by Nov?

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    It could have over a million subs and people would still find something to "nay-say" about. Just admit it, it's doing well and will only get better with Disney backing the project, and once the other movies come out.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

They were quite happy with the performance (they called it solid) and said during the conference call that they have a lot of new content in the pipeline and are committed to their 6-8 week releases schedule for content patches.

"During an investor call yesterday, the CFO stated that with a half a million subscribers, the game would be "substantially profitable, but not the kind of thing [EA] would write home about."

Most analysts seem to think those claims were a bunch of crap, even when they were made, mainly due to the sheer size of the games budget.  The fact that the game had such problems and drama with the developers after release, when it was sitting at around 500k seems to back that assumption up.

500k subscribers might be fine for most MMO's, but most don't have budgets like TOR did, much less the licensing overhead that you know comes with Star Wars.

I do agree that the Cartel Market thing is working out for them, but it's not going to be a long-term solution at all, and certainly doesn't benefit the players much because you end up with a game that's very bottom-heavy (lots of new players in the starter areas, with not so many active at end-game).  LotRO went through a similar phase, where they saw revenue increasing by something like 400% in the first year, but it's all but died back down to mostly subscribers again.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by MyBoot

Look at EVE it's been around for years and never had that many subs and it's considered a success.

Most MMO's don't have expensive IP's to license, or development budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

You make me like charity

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    It could have over a million subs and people would still find something to "nay-say" about. Just admit it, it's doing well and will only get better with Disney backing the project, and once the other movies come out.

If it had over a million subs then it would not be F2P and had the extortionate cartel market, and the game would be deemed a success, but that is not the case

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Yeah... CCP is owned by a major developer, EVE had a 8 digit development budget and is also a major IP that isn't expanding across multiple linked games and it is struggling to match a game launched with the same criteria after 10 years of existence!

Excuse me while I go pray lightsabers become public domain so SW games sink like a stone, the IP has been raped enough for glowbats as is.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It would have probably slightly more subs if it was not F2P, as many players decided to switch to preferred status. The Cartel Market is definitely working for them LOL. I know they got plenty of my money.

I am happy they are committed to new content. This is what this game needs to grow. Especially that now it is clear that there will be no other SW MMO in the next 5 to 10 years or so.

Awaiting for new single player SW games as well.

Life is GOODimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Most MMO's don't have expensive IP's to license, or development budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

Regardless it still makes it the 2nd largest Sub based MMO I believe. 

Originally posted by udon

^ This :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

When 2nd best means 95% worse than 1st, that's not something to brag about.

You make me like charity

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Considering its "slightly under half a mil", and EVE is just over 500k, that would rank it 3rd.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

When 2nd best means 95% worse than 1st, that's not something to brag about.

2nd is still 2nd... and we all know that WoW is a phenomena nothing can reproduce.

And based on their comments cartel market more than doubled monthly revenue, means they are getting equivalent of at least 1 million subs.

Quote:

"The really interesting thing that's happening inside the service right now is monthly average revenue for the game has more than doubled since we introduced the free-to-play option. And as we look forward, we're going to continually invest in new content for the service and for players every six weeks or so."

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by doodphace

Considering its "slightly under half a mil", and EVE is just over 500k, that would rank it 3rd.

Yup.

EVE is still number 2, they surpassed 500K back in February I think it was.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb