Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

Comments

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

From what little I've seen and read about the game so far, I am currently anticipating the game will settle into a nice corner of the market where it will pull in some old school raiders who have lost their loyalty to a game like WoW or Rift, and a small crowd who is tired of waiting for their favorite MMO to add a fun housing system.

While I realize the game ostensibly offers a lot more to do, I think a heavy emphasis on progression and content gating, and support for things like DPS meters and mods, while appealing to me personally, cuts substantially against the grain of the current MMO playerbase.  Having followed the development of several other major MMOs, those are things that very many players are vehemently against.  Drop into Queensdale in GW2 and type "I wish this game had a DPS meter" and I guarantee you will send everyone in the zone into conniptions.

So ... I do think there is definitely a crowd who has been waiting for a game that combines some of the things WildStar will offer, but I think it would be a mistake to look at the game and say "That looks a lot like WoW, but it also offers this and this and this" and extrapolate from that that WildStar is going to be any more successful than other games on the market.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by funcon
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

Why would WoW players move to Wildstar?  If they want a game like WoW, they'll continue playing WoW because they have an established community, characters, etc..

Wildstar won't go anywhere, for exactly that reason.

You make me like charity

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Wildstar will be GOOD. But NO MMO will ever reach WOW's height. Too many MMO's out there in the market in an A.D.D. society.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Hey my first post ever! :D

While Im intrigued by WIldstar's look themes and gameplay possibilities Im holding off.  As a few others have stated Ive been burned too many times by the HYPE. Almost every MMO I've played has suffered from it and while maybe it didnt hinder my gameplay experience Ive seen many players turn red with rage over what was overhyped. Right now the biggest allure of the game and possibly a big thing that could hurt Wildstar, in my opinion, is the lack of details gone about it.  From what an average person or under average (points to self) could see from the trailers and website is interesting and definitely could put the game in someone's radar.  Still with the little info thats out the rest is really just fantasy at this point.  While I want to see many MMO's do well and have a place out there Ive seen a good number crippled by the hype monster even if it has a big name IP attached to it.

I dont really see the reason for any game at this point to be "as big as WoW"  Sure it be cool to play on a bustling server but I dont' think we'll see it happen again on another game especially if a game a steeper learning curve.  WoW was made graphics that almost anyone could play and easy to jump into learning mechanics.  While it could be debated I also feel WoW launched at a great time, not alot of competition in the MMO market, they had a solid franchise, and a couple years later they got major promotion with that famous South Park episode. 

Really I think the best thing to hope for is a development team that cares about game and community, a game with solid mechanics and stable world and a reason to keep logging on :)

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    It wont be the next WoW but it will be the most successful mmo since WoW.
  • geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340
    It's probably just going to be another skuill on the pile outside of World of Warcraft's cave.  I think the only one of its imitators to get away with a modicum of success was Rift, not counting F2P games, of course.  The rest either closed or have been limping along making only a modest profit.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I doubt there every will be a next WoW anyway.  WoW drew in many players who aren't gamers, let alone MMO gamers.  I would bet that when a large number of those players leave WoW, they'll simply stop playing MMOs, rather than search for a new one.  Of those that do move on to other MMOs, they will be spread out in the new saturated market.  WoW was an anomoly that we probably won't see again.
  • ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52
    WIldstar will be popular for a bit, then everyone will realise it's nothing but a cheap WoW clone. Check out newest update on "PvP stats" aka resilience/pvp power. Once novely wears off the veterans will ditch this POS and will go back to granddady that is WoW.
  • rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    This is one mmorpg i'm pumped FOR !!!!

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Next big one? Hard to say. Well done? Certainly. 
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

It has potential to be amazing.

Tho PVP wise they are messing up by just copying everything wow does with pvp besides the warplots.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Punk999

It has potential to be amazing.

Tho PVP wise they are messing up by just copying everything wow does with pvp besides the warplots.

Agreed. I'm most disappointed by pvp so far. Hoping warplots deliver. PvE looking solid IMO. Most looking forward to housing and path system, particularly the settler path. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I'm going to say no. I think it'll do better than Neverwinter, but I don't see WildStar topping Elder Scrolls Online and/or Everquest Next.

Too many MMOs out there. Even if Wildstar is good, itll get trapped behind the Triple A titles of a new Everquest and Elder Scrolls online.

Also, I completely and whole-heartedly disagree with a post on the previous page. Recent MMOs are failing post-launch because they dont have end-game content. 90% of players I'd guess who played SWTOR fell in love with the leveling. Some called it their favorite leveling experience in any MMO, but personally I didnt like it, but that's for another day. You go to the end of SWTOR and it was like, well now what? Neverwinter apparently has the same thing: Top streamer Towelie said honestly he doesnt see himself playing Neverwinter in 3 weeks, he isnt going to play a game where there is nothing for him to do.

The way you launch a game is by having your end-game content ready for launch. The vocal minority 5-10% of raiders, although minority, will tear you and your game up from the inside out. Forums, social media, even in the game. They will rip into you. And it has a ripple effect. Believe it or not, there are casuals or just normal players we'll say who get turned off by people ripping into a game they're playing. They start to believe "Well, there really is nothing to do, X guy better than me says so" BUT.. If you support the hardcore player the first month or two, have end game content ready on launch, and have some ready a month later.. They will support your game even until the bitter end. Who do you think Everquest likes more right now -- The casuals, or the people still playing EQ1? They'll live long on your game if its good.

No more are the days where content patches are 3-6 months wait. That's too long. Its need to be 1 month, 2 months max. We live in a "I want more, now" type generation.  When a player feels like hes completed an MMO, its done, its over, you've lost them. When you get that feeling that EVERY MMO player has in a game before where you're like "I dont want to play today" that marks the beginning of the end. It slowly becomes easier to not play and then eventually you dont.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Nope, ask hundred random gamer what Wildstar is you probaply find 1 person who knows what it is.

I doubt anyone outside "hardcore" MMO crowd (people who read these forums or websites) even knows whole game. Even I don't know what game really is. All I seen is very boring in-game pictures with massive circles(actually I'm not sure was it this game) and that logo with some space cowboy dude. While MMORPG hype meter shows huge I really can't feel it. And in the end hype plus game quality will determine if this is next Big MMO.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Sasami

Nope, ask hundred random gamer what Wildstar is you probaply find 1 person who knows what it is.

I doubt anyone outside "hardcore" MMO crowd (people who read these forums or websites) even knows whole game. Even I don't know what game really is. All I seen is very boring in-game pictures with massive circles(actually I'm not sure was it this game) and that logo with some space cowboy dude. While MMORPG hype meter shows huge I really can't feel it. And in the end hype plus game quality will determine if this is next Big MMO.

That is pretty meaningless though as the hypetrain has not even begun to roll yet.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I would agree with this and some of the people who know what WildStar is lol when they hear the game will have 20 and 40 man raids.  Wildstar is going against the major part of the MMO community when they put 40 man raids in their game.  They now are setup for failure like other MMOs just because they are trying to cater to a small minority of gamers.  Gone are the days of 40 man raids, trying to bring it back is foolish.  Even 20 mans these days are just too large and Rift is learning this the hardware.  

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

That is pretty meaningless though as the hypetrain has not even begun to roll yet.

Well when it will start? Hype train for EQNext and Elder Scroll Online have been full on since they were announced. And what muscles will Wildstar team make that hype, NCsoft has never been very good to make hype. Seriously we are talking original IP without big names behind, in market that is not only saturated with original IPs but also some major IPs coming out same time. What are Big MMOs with original IPs that have come out last 5 years? I can't think of any.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Well when it will start? Hype train for EQNext and Elder Scroll Online have been full on since they were announced. And what muscles will Wildstar team make that hype, NCsoft has never been very good to make hype. Seriously we are talking original IP without big names behind, in market that is not only saturated with original IPs but also some major IPs coming out same time. What are Big MMOs with original IPs that have come out last 5 years? I can't think of any.

Wait, the founder of Turbine and man responsible for getting Anet funding for Guild Wars and is responsible for a number of the best freatures from City of Heroes is not a big name? Especially when he is leading a team whose core are those who built Vanilla WoW and laid the foundations for Burning Crusade? Seriously?

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    There wont be a "next big MMO"  WoW was a 1 time thing, unless there is another vast untapped market out there somewhere.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

The graphic style is not my favorite and I have not seen any new features that would compensate for that.

I only think that wow fans will play this if the game has a lot of features they are missing from wow, to me that don't seem to be the case.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They are targeting younger players with the graphics, but offering older players a broad mix of game play mechanics. They have a lot of familiar mechanics, but have also added some things that a lot of players may not have had a chance to experience in an MMO, like housing and open ended game play. So yeah, they might be the next big MMO in terms of players. I don't know that they will be popular on sites like MMORPG.com though. Wizard 101, Pirate 101 and Free Realms dwarf most other MMOs in terms of players, but don't get much coverage on game sites.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I prefer this:   Will Wildstar be the next fun mmo?

I dont need a mmo to be a smash hit to enjoy it

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    It kinda has the WoW look with the graphics but it does everything better than WoW. I think a lot of WoW players will move on to WildStar. And does anyone know if WildStar will be B2P or monthy fee?

I think Wildstar will do ok if they can deliver on what they are promising but no way it will be WoW sized.  The problem with saying a lot of WoW players will move over is why would they?  They would have to start over again with new characters on new servers and they would have to get all their scattered friends to agree on a server/faction to play.  The larger and more spread out beyond your guild your friends list is the harder that would be to accomplish.  And keep in mind for every friend you try to convince to move they have a friends list they have to work on to.  WoW has a huge social momemtum behind it that makes any competitors game a hard sell.  Sure lots of WoW players will play Wildstar casually but than they will log back onto their safe and comfy WoW server with their established guild and friends list along with well known systems.

Even Blizzard will have a challange getting WoW players to move over to whatever their new MMO will be called.  They are going to have to very carefully plan ways to capitalize on that social momemtum to get people migrating.  Their benifits is they have access to your social network via your guild and friends lists already so they can use those to help the process but it's still going to be a lot of work for them.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Nadia

I prefer this:   Will Wildstar be the next fun mmo?

I dont need a mmo to be a smash hit to enjoy it

Well said. I totally agree. From what I've seen so far, it has a certain je ne sais quoi. They're definitely onto something and I'm excited to see where it goes. 

• AderewAderew Member UncommonPosts: 46
    No matter the game content, it reminds me of some PS2 games for 12 yo kids. I can't imagine an adult sitting in front of his computer playing WS, but i guess there's no accounting for taste.