Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No cooldowns and CC

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Something worries me about your main 6 skills not having cooldowns..  (with fullweaponsetting, you will have 12 of them in your build)

I will put 6 ranged crowdcontroll skills in there and use a bow to pew pew my controlled ennemies...  Just wondering how they will prevent people from overusing these skills in PvP, while allowing them for full effect in PvE..

Another worry of mine, is that they will ruin CC builds by making most bosses CC immune, which is a designfaile to start with... The game needs a good sytem that reduces effects on bosses but does not negate them..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• klemmbobklemmbob Member UncommonPosts: 103
    diminishing returns
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Easy they will balance for pvp

Then balance the pve content to the skills.

The right way round to do it. As opposed to your wow style approach of tack the pvp on later then face a constant circle of nerfs and buffs.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Something worries me about your main 6 skills not having cooldowns..  (with fullweaponsetting, you will have 12 of them in your build)

I will put 6 ranged crowdcontroll skills in there and use a bow to pew pew my controlled ennemies...  Just wondering how they will prevent people from overusing these skills in PvP, while allowing them for full effect in PvE..

Another worry of mine, is that they will ruin CC builds by making most bosses CC immune, which is a designfaile to start with... The game needs a good sytem that reduces effects on bosses but does not negate them..

They have said (as recent as their latest AuA), that everyone gets a CC break that costs quite a lot of stamina that also gives you immunity to cc for 8 seconds, ontop of that theres an extra CC break/immunity for heavy armor and a CC removal as part of the PvP tree's:

"How is crowd control going to be applied in massive PvPs (ie: how often am I going to get pulled/knocked down/staggered/rooted/knocked away)? Are there any crowd control immunities? – By Dara Ghorban

Coordinating crowd control and immunities certainly is a big part of the strategy in massive PvP battles. There are many different types of crowd control (including all the ones you mention), as well as a variety of ways to cope with them. Here are some examples, in no particular order:

• The heavy armor skill includes an ability called “Immovable” that costs stamina and makes you immune to stuns and knockbacks and staggers for 8 seconds.
    • The CC breaker is a core mechanic available to all players. If you are currently affected by a crowd control ability, you can tap both mouse buttons to break out of it and become immune for 8 seconds. This costs quite a bit of stamina, however, so it’s something you want to do at the right time.
    • A PvP-specific ability allows you to remove negative effects (including crowd control) from nearby allies.
    • …and many more."

The important part is the immunity for 8 seconds, that means that providing you haven't already blew your wad of stamina (in which case tough), you can never get stun locked

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

The right way round to do it. As opposed to your wow style approach of tack the pvp on later then face a constant circle of nerfs and buffs.

What if you have to change the skils in pvp?  Then you have to rebalance the PVE mobs.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yep
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Please reread...

I didn´t propose anything, i only asked a question.

Next to that... both ways are wrong... PvP and PvE ballancing need to happen at the same moment in the core of the game.. none of both needs to be an aftertought--

And as seen in the usefull answer below, thats exactly what they are doing... ant CC skills that cost a lot of Stamina.  We will just have to see how this play out... ballance is a thin line that easilly breaks as usuall, to much anto CC in PvP and it breaks it too turning the game in a mindless DPS feast.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

Actions will use stamina (or mana) - that will be the constraint, not cooldowns. Use up your stamina and you will be very vulnerable to enemies. I think they said there wont be autoattacks.

And the other poster was correct, balance the game for PvP and then for PvE you can balance the mobs. Very hard to balance for PvP as an afterthought, especially since PvP plays such an important role in the endgame..

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Actually its really easy and don't understand why new developers don't do it.

So you know how in a lot of games you can get bonus damage to a type of enemy?  Well instead of making players a random enemy they can have players labeled as players and change anything about PvP with out even touching PvE by only altering abilities and effects done to Players.

I don't know why developers don't do this, they already do this for monster types yet they simply fail to do this in most MMOs with PvP.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Chances are skills that add a CC effect will cost greater amounts of resources compared to Damage abilities.  Best way I can think of them balancing CC.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Eol-

Actions will use stamina (or mana) - that will be the constraint, not cooldowns. Use up your stamina and you will be very vulnerable to enemies. I think they said there wont be autoattacks.

And the other poster was correct, balance the game for PvP and then for PvE you can balance the mobs. Very hard to balance for PvP as an afterthought, especially since PvP plays such an important role in the endgame..

This, all of it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tom115ustom115us Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I'm sure they Balance the game soon enough,give it time
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

All abilities cost something, that is the balancing factor. See ESO is a resource based game,  the only attacks that don't cost anything are the default weapon attacks linked to the right and left mouse buttons.  Resources act as the cooldown. No more magicka, not more spells can be cast. No more stamina and you can't dodge, break CC, block damage, sprint or stealth.

From what I've seen of the leaked videos, stamina and magicka regen slowly in combat without buff, if you waste a spell...you just wasted a big chunk of resource.