Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

1/3 people not resubbing - not looking good

13

Comments

  • gchris7gchris7 AgonPosts: 73Member


    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    2/3 retention sounds decent for a game like Darkfall The key is acquisition rate being higher than the rate of those leaving.   WoW, EQ, EvE...these games enjoyed growth over 5+ years because they managed to attract more people than left.  If DF is actually good it should do this too, because unlike most recent games it didnt have a huge spike at launch.  the question is, is it good?  Im not the target audience and wouldnt ever consider playing it, but its the same with EvE.  If the game is good it will grow, if not it will slowly shrink.
    That is why people should be concerned and for a few reasons:   1) Retention rate was MUCH higher for the first game for the first few months as people were willing to wait a few months because the game finally had launched - this time a lot of people have said they are not letting AV string them along again. 2) The reason this is NOT a good retention rate for DF is that it is 100% a niche game and does not have hundreds of new players buying it every day keeping an influx of new players coming -- just go read the Steam forums and why they are not even thinking about buying it   Wow and other MMO's can easily survive a retention rate like this because they have a constant influx of new players and NOT being a niche game have quite a big following; thus can survive. 3) Steam release has not brought a lot of new players and there are not many new players that you see every day.  Clanmates still see basically the same people in the starter zones every day - unlike other MMO's with solid new people joining and you constantly see new people in the starter areas 4) Tons of alt accounts that ARE clanned are about to not be re-subbed so do not go by #'s in clans at all   *** Disagree all you want but #1 and #2 are what is the bigger issue here - a niche game needs to retain more than 2/3 of their base because Darkfall will not have 100 new people a day buying this game and breathing life into it....  Also, those new guys who do try it are getting slammed right outside the safe zone by people with 30,40, 60k prowess because there is no incentive for these guys to go live out of their city when 100% everything can be done at the safe zones.
     

    I know that all you are trying to do is bad mouth the game and arguing with you is pointless, but what you are saying makes absolutely no sense even if its meant to be blind hate.

    DFUW is a new mmorpg and as in every other case of a new release there are going to be customers who will not like what they bought and therefor wont continue their subscription. Darkfall being niche is actually supposed make the number of those who quit the first month even higher, simply because this game is not for everyone and its very easy for someone to realize that.
    Everyone can play a game like WoW even if its only for a few months, not everyone can play Darkfall.

  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

    https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?367264-Are-you-going-to-resub-If-not-why

     

    11 page thread with well over 500 unique votes....  Not a good sign for AV - as a lot of the people state they are not going to keep chasing the carrot like they did in DF1.  This means AV really needs to step up their addition of actual content or else the game will end up like the first quickly....

     

    Also, do not be fooled this first month saying how good the population is - I got a clanmate on 2 PC's running 10 alts whicha re accounts from clanmates who already paid for the game but did not play at launch.  He of course is not resubbing them as he is only using the free month to stock up on resources.

     

     

     Pre wow, they typical retention rate was only 30% after 3 months or less. /just a history lesson.

    Oh I am up on history and as I clearly stated out WoW was NOT a niche game and thus could still survive from whatever their retention rate was; due to constant influx of new people.  Which you do not see in DF. - DF history lesson shows that.  And if a game cannot constantly draw new people then it is not a good sign.

  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Originally posted by gchris7

     


    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    2/3 retention sounds decent for a game like Darkfall The key is acquisition rate being higher than the rate of those leaving.   WoW, EQ, EvE...these games enjoyed growth over 5+ years because they managed to attract more people than left.  If DF is actually good it should do this too, because unlike most recent games it didnt have a huge spike at launch.  the question is, is it good?  Im not the target audience and wouldnt ever consider playing it, but its the same with EvE.  If the game is good it will grow, if not it will slowly shrink.

    That is why people should be concerned and for a few reasons:   1) Retention rate was MUCH higher for the first game for the first few months as people were willing to wait a few months because the game finally had launched - this time a lot of people have said they are not letting AV string them along again. 2) The reason this is NOT a good retention rate for DF is that it is 100% a niche game and does not have hundreds of new players buying it every day keeping an influx of new players coming -- just go read the Steam forums and why they are not even thinking about buying it   Wow and other MMO's can easily survive a retention rate like this because they have a constant influx of new players and NOT being a niche game have quite a big following; thus can survive. 3) Steam release has not brought a lot of new players and there are not many new players that you see every day.  Clanmates still see basically the same people in the starter zones every day - unlike other MMO's with solid new people joining and you constantly see new people in the starter areas 4) Tons of alt accounts that ARE clanned are about to not be re-subbed so do not go by #'s in clans at all   *** Disagree all you want but #1 and #2 are what is the bigger issue here - a niche game needs to retain more than 2/3 of their base because Darkfall will not have 100 new people a day buying this game and breathing life into it....  Also, those new guys who do try it are getting slammed right outside the safe zone by people with 30,40, 60k prowess because there is no incentive for these guys to go live out of their city when 100% everything can be done at the safe zones.
     

     

    I know that all you are trying to do is bad mouth the game and arguing with you is pointless, but what you are saying makes absolutely no sense even if its meant to be blind hate.

    DFUW is a new mmorpg and as in every other case of a new release there are going to be customers who will not like what they bought and therefor wont continue their subscription. Darkfall being niche is actually supposed make the number of those who quit the first month even higher, simply because this game is not for everyone and its very easy for someone to realize that.
    Everyone can play a game like WoW even if its only for a few months, not everyone can play Darkfall.

    I actually agree with you that not everyone can play DF at all.  I 100% agree and with that being said along with it being a complete niche game - that does not bode well at all.  Unlike those other games they have a constant influx of new people playing that game.  You do not have 100's of people constantly trying out DF.

     

    What that means is that AV MUST put content in to bring new players; but so far have failed to do that and it shows.

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Badaboom

     I'm a casual player who enjoys the thrill and the rush that this game offers.  If I'm solo, I know right away I'm at a disadvantage because of my low prowess and will easily get killed.  That doesn't stop me.  I look at it as a challenge to stay alive.  Stay unseen.  It's also fun to play with the guild as we work toward common goals.  For me, the bitter taste of defeat makes the sweet taste of success that much sweeter and worthy of a sub.

    That paragraph alone is the reason Darkfall is a good game even with its faults.

     

    I will exclude the horrible community and just speak on the game itself:

    Yeah, it's missing features they promised, BUT the game holds true to a classic REAL mmo. It has a large open world. Yeah the world seems empty at places, but  I'd rather have large open fields and scenery, than a cluttered small world.

    The large open world is like that for a reason. You have enough space to hide out and mine resources if need be in some quiet corner, or plan a strategic assault on a neighboring clan by moving your small force as hidden as can be.

    Darkfall has a large open world where you can get lost in and actually feel like an explorer in an online world, instead of a train on a railroad being blocked in by invisible walls in an instanced game typical of today's MMO.

     

    Yeah, it has bugs. All MMos have bugs, some worse than others at launch. If the game goes by a whole year and the major bugs are still there, then feel free to complain (yeah eq2, I'm talking about you and your broker Mystics for year and a half  :) )

     

    I don't know any other game other than Darkfall and Eve where you can actually get a rush from going out where you shouldnt be just to mine resources. 

    Crafting isn't perfect, but it's better than the crap out there in all those new instanced games. At least you can BE a crafter in Darkfall, although I wish they had something for more specialized crafting, so  that everyone can't craft everything. But I guess when you can only have 1 character per server, it makes sense to allow every1 to craft everything.

     

    Darkfall will die off a sudden & horrible death only if the Devs continue to allow the horrible community to destroy the game from within. There are clans whose whole purpose is to grief until people quit the game, by all means. It's horrible because this is it. This is the only game we have that brings back that old mmo feeling. You remember right? The feeling where you actually ARE living in an online world. And for that I'd pay a sub fee anyday over some instanced crap.

  • SalengerSalenger Pottageville, ONPosts: 521Member

    The game is maybe 40% complete atm at best, the community is easily the worst, PVE is terrible and mindless even if the grind is lessened from 1.0, it still really sucks as it has no purpose but to make yourself pvp viable.

    The hackers, the lag switchers IDK i have fun but idk how long ill e subbing for, its a game designed for large clans and some medium sized ones that have huge egos.

    I used to play with some chill guys in 1.0, guys that were not so good at pvp but had fun, now they roam around acting liek the pricks they used to despise in the first darkfall and these people are adults.

    Its a game that will turn even the good gamers into jackasses and imho is not worth a sub to bother with at this point, wait until they release more content if they ever do.

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    [mod edit]  I haven't heard a single person from my clan say they're unsubbing, and its a pretty good sized clan.

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Youve Never Heard of it, FLPosts: 131Member
    Originally posted by Salenger

    The game is maybe 40% complete atm at best, the community is easily the worst, PVE is terrible and mindless even if the grind is lessened from 1.0, it still really sucks as it has no purpose but to make yourself pvp viable.

    Im not going to argue that the game isnt incomplete, because that would be a lie. 40%?? Thats stretching it, the game is more like 75% complete, missing alot of vital features to end game which I wont disagree with. PVE being terrible? Compared to what? At least enemies actually pose a challenge! Every other MMO will have you killing a fucking giant troll by the end of level 1, at least darkfall makes you work for your kills.

    The hackers, the lag switchers IDK i have fun but idk how long ill e subbing for, its a game designed for large clans and some medium sized ones that have huge egos. 

    I have yet to see a hacker in game and ive been playing for 2 weeks. Period, end of story.

    Also OF COURSE its designed for big clans, you cant siege a castle with a handful of dudes.

     

    I used to play with some chill guys in 1.0, guys that were not so good at pvp but had fun, now they roam around acting liek the pricks they used to despise in the first darkfall and these people are adults.

    Dont blame DF for this one. I have a group of 4 friends who travel with me regularly, and besides the one friend always complaining about lag (Hes playing from his moms fucking laptop) we all have fun, gank noobs, laugh about it, get ganked by pros, laugh about it. Tell your friends to lighten up and enjoy the rush.

     

    Its a game that will turn even the good gamers into jackasses and imho is not worth a sub to bother with at this point, wait until they release more content if they ever do.

    And heres where I tell you, YOUR RIGHT! Not about the game turning god gamers into jackasses, but that its not worth it for YOU to play. From what youve said you havent had a good experiance, and I dont think you should continue playing if your having a poor experiance...

    ...To me though, Darkfall has alot of the things ive been looking for for a very long time.

    Difficult PVE

    Risk and Reward for exploration

    Open, intricate, and unique skills and abilities

    and most importantly,

    CHAOS!

    The game is unpredicatble, and thats what I love about SWG, EQ, and PRE-BC WoW. A sense of danger and excitement,  something you never thoughtcoming is always around the corner, whether its you ganking someone or they get you, theres always fear, and that drives me to play a game even more.

    So to the OP, please end your pointless crusade, your just coming off as extremely sketchy and bullheaded and wont convince anyone playing to not play or otherwise.

     

    J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

  • HairysunHairysun none, OHPosts: 1,060Member

     

    This IS how it works.  I don't know how many games I have purchased and not even made through the first couple weeks  much less subbed into a second month.  Two thirds of the players re subbing is pretty damn impressive in my opinion. 

     

    DFUW is fine.  It certainly has it's issues but most seem to be able to see through those issues and recognize the game as a whole.  Among other things it brings a different perspective to a genera that is absolutely flooded with the same old  thing in a different wrapper.

     

    We all know Darkfall is not for everyone.  It would seem however the numbers that our good friend Deerhunter71 has brought to everyones attention ..... are looking pretty decent.

     

    ~Hairysun

     

  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Covington, LAPosts: 555Member
    Darkfall launch vet here. Played Unholy Wars for a few days, quit.

    Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

  • GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 543Member
    Originally posted by Salenger

    The game is maybe 40% complete atm at best, the community is easily the worst, PVE is terrible and mindless even if the grind is lessened from 1.0, it still really sucks as it has no purpose but to make yourself pvp viable.

    The hackers, the lag switchers IDK i have fun but idk how long ill e subbing for, its a game designed for large clans and some medium sized ones that have huge egos.

    I used to play with some chill guys in 1.0, guys that were not so good at pvp but had fun, now they roam around acting liek the pricks they used to despise in the first darkfall and these people are adults.

    Its a game that will turn even the good gamers into jackasses and imho is not worth a sub to bother with at this point, wait until they release more content if they ever do.

    I had a similar experience as you regarding some of the people I used to game with.

    Solution: find a new clan.

    There are plenty out there that resemble a family instead of a high school wannabe cool-kids clique if you know what I mean.

    The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

    -The MMO Forum Community

  • AzartenAzarten MelbournePosts: 33Member

    I played DF1 and became quite attached to my Mahirim, but now that they turned them into the poor cousin of Teen Wolf I just can't bring myself to play DFUW :)

     

    For me the worst thing they did was make all race clan members able to toddle off into racial cities after they had betrayed their kind by siding with (according to the lore) their enemies.  Only full race clans with high enough racial status should have been allowed in racial cities.  Now with DFUW they have made it even more irrelevant which race you choose, whereas I myself enjoy some realm/racial pride.  Others obviously differ and all the best to them, I'll wait and see where CU ends up for some realm PvP.

  • ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by Salenger

    The game is maybe 40% complete atm at best, the community is easily the worst, PVE is terrible and mindless even if the grind is lessened from 1.0, it still really sucks as it has no purpose but to make yourself pvp viable.

    The hackers, the lag switchers IDK i have fun but idk how long ill e subbing for, its a game designed for large clans and some medium sized ones that have huge egos.

    I used to play with some chill guys in 1.0, guys that were not so good at pvp but had fun, now they roam around acting liek the pricks they used to despise in the first darkfall and these people are adults.

    Its a game that will turn even the good gamers into jackasses and imho is not worth a sub to bother with at this point, wait until they release more content if they ever do.

    The game doesn't change people, it just shows them for who they truly are.

    Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon
    The figure 2/3 not resubbing doesn't mean anything unless compared to other games' retention rates after first month. I don't know how other games retain after the first month but I know not everyone resubs.

    RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

    Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

    Dwight D Eisenhower

    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

    Henry Rollins

  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by monstermmo

    We live in the world of free to play games now. It's really that simple. I'm interested in playing Darkfall, i've played a bit before, did the free trial and all that but i don't want to pay a monthly sub for it. I often want to return to World of Warcraft for some casual play time but i don't want to play it enough to "justify" the subscription fee.

    There are just far too many free to play games now that there's simply no need to pay a subscription fee. 

    That being said some games are definitely worth it. WoW is worth it, it's a quality game that is always improved upon. Rift is another high quality game. While they are worth paying for i will not play them enough to pay that monthly sub but that doesn't stop them from being "worth it," just to be clear.

    Yes but those free to play mmo's suck.  Overly instanced, hand holding, restricting your game play, sparkly crap.  Even a good B2P game like GW2 gets boring after awhile. 

    All games get boring after a while if they didn't we'd all still be playing UO, EQ, WoW or whatever game we started out with.

    That's a profound and true observation.

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    This is a game I want to like, and think that I very well may, but until they fix the fact that you lock up for a couple seconds when new players enter the area, I see no reason to even attempt.  This is why I cancelled mys sub
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by monstermmo

    We live in the world of free to play games now. It's really that simple. I'm interested in playing Darkfall, i've played a bit before, did the free trial and all that but i don't want to pay a monthly sub for it. I often want to return to World of Warcraft for some casual play time but i don't want to play it enough to "justify" the subscription fee.

    There are just far too many free to play games now that there's simply no need to pay a subscription fee. 

    That being said some games are definitely worth it. WoW is worth it, it's a quality game that is always improved upon. Rift is another high quality game. While they are worth paying for i will not play them enough to pay that monthly sub but that doesn't stop them from being "worth it," just to be clear.

    Yes but those free to play mmo's suck.  Overly instanced, hand holding, restricting your game play, sparkly crap.  Even a good B2P game like GW2 gets boring after awhile. 

    All games get boring after a while if they didn't we'd all still be playing UO, EQ, WoW or whatever game we started out with.

    That's a profound and true observation.

    Thing is "a while" seems to be 30-90 days now.  I played SWG for years, and only left the game because of the NGE.  I'm sure I would have got bored eventually, but I haven't played another game since that made me want to hang around for *years*.  I'm hoping that's going to change with the stuff coming 2013-2015.

     

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    This is a game I want to like, and think that I very well may, but until they fix the fact that you lock up for a couple seconds when new players enter the area, I see no reason to even attempt.  This is why I cancelled mys sub

    That sounds like an issue with your computer as I don't seem to have this problem.  That's not saying the servers are not having some problems right now, because there are.

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ocenica
    I know there are people, such as myself who don't buy a game at release to avoid crowds, bugs, and connection issues.  Good old WoW didn't start out with 20,000,000 subs and work its way down.  It started at 300,000 and worked it way up.

    WoW is the only subscription MMORPG to do this so far. Will probably be the only one.

    Nonsense. Eve has been steadily growing and older MMOs like EQ 1, AC 1 all had a steady growth for years after their release.

    Modern MMOs are not but that is because they are either ThemePark WoW clones or bugridden indy developed.

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    This is a game I want to like, and think that I very well may, but until they fix the fact that you lock up for a couple seconds when new players enter the area, I see no reason to even attempt.  This is why I cancelled mys sub

    That sounds like an issue with your computer as I don't seem to have this problem.  That's not saying the servers are not having some problems right now, because there are.

    That is what I thought but other people have been having the problem as well.  I've been lurking the darkfall forums as well as these, and it seems that it is getting better/supposed to get better through patches.  Only time will tell

  • Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by DontTrustPubs

    I bought the game through steam and played it heavily. A few reasons why I will not resub will be below in bulletins, keep in mind these are my personal reasons. 

     

    1. No skill caps; result is massive imbalance within the game.
    2. Floaty character movement and combat. 
    3. Uninteresting lore/backstory
    4. Lack of innovation
    5. Sub
     
    I look at a game like DayZ and I just cant justify paying for something like this.

    I think that is the reason for a lot of people.  You MUST have actual content in the game than just kill 150 night hags, 150 arctic bears, etc. to justify a subscription.  We all though they had learned the first go around but sadly they did not.

    Content like a quest? A quest that has you go kill X number of bears?

  • lickm3lickm3 PilsenPosts: 150Member

    :)

    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein

  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by DontTrustPubs

    I bought the game through steam and played it heavily. A few reasons why I will not resub will be below in bulletins, keep in mind these are my personal reasons. 

     

    1. No skill caps; result is massive imbalance within the game.
    2. Floaty character movement and combat. 
    3. Uninteresting lore/backstory
    4. Lack of innovation
    5. Sub
     
    I look at a game like DayZ and I just cant justify paying for something like this.

    I think that is the reason for a lot of people.  You MUST have actual content in the game than just kill 150 night hags, 150 arctic bears, etc. to justify a subscription.  We all though they had learned the first go around but sadly they did not.

    Content like a quest? A quest that has you go kill X number of bears?

    No I said actual content - you know stuff to do besides either gather mats for gear and pvp.  Other "fluff" you find in actual MMO's to give you the option to do other things.  Heck sometimes quests are actually pretty good when the "lore" and story is done well.  Stuff that actually adds depth to a MMO not just bare bones and lacking core features.

     

    They can talk lore all they want but it is not part of the game and not intertwined at all.

  • LordSneergLordSneerg Lorton, VAPosts: 119Member
    Hoping this is not true. Going to give this game another month and then plan on picking it up. 
  • MegaD61MegaD61 Manhattan, KSPosts: 59Member

    Don't listen to these idiots.  That poll your getting your numbers from wasn't even large enough to be of significance.  The VAST majority of people who spend time on the DFUW fourms are people who are not happy for one reason or another.  That is the ONLY reason the poll ended up how it did.

     

    Most people that play DFUW that I talk to in game(and thats alot im in one of the big clans) love it, play it all the time and NEVER check the fourms.  DFUW forums is full of the most crybabies per capita anywhere on the internet.  Please judge the game for yourself and not from that crap.

  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Richmond, VAPosts: 527Member

    Yeah everyone is so happy with the server crashes and 1 hour rollbacks so fun they get to kill those 100 mobs all over again... We shall see in the next few weeks if that poll was such BS. 

     

    Would think they would have this shit figured out by now after the first game, lol  Some people rolled back 2 hours and their alt only 30 minutes...

    "The fact that people are rolling back to DIFFERENT times is out of control ridiculous and is probably part of a much more serious issue."

Sign In or Register to comment.