Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we settle with mediocre ?

tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

It seems as if , gamers in general is getting more and more demanding, they do not want to pay 10-15 $ /month and they sure as hell will not pay 10$ for a bag ...

We have become spoiled with all the "Free to play" adverticing , wich really isn't free at all..

The ONLY way to create a GOOD game is to put TONS of money in your buissness investment, and If you create a GOOD game you want to make sure you get that investment back.

Todays attitude and freebee mentality doesnt make this an easy descision as a developer..Do we make a shallow easy to make Free to play game or do we really put money in our investment and make a AAA title and risk loosing all of It ?

I think ..Neverwinter is somewhat inbetween all this, It's a rather shallow DnD game, but still somewhat fun for certain individuals to shell out cash for a bag...But it's also suffering from lots of cheap things,,

Remember, there is NO such thing in life as FREE stuff..It all has to be payd for , However, If you settle with mediocre entertainment and have others pay for your mediocre entertainment (FTP) well then it's FREE in a sence..But should YOU as a consumer settle with poor quality and halfassed products when we can get great ones ?

And most importantly should paying costumers stand the fact that "mediocre" products compete with great AAA titles and make those titles fail just because they are demanding payment for their creation and isn't free ?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I won't spend any money on this game until I see what thier content updates are like. Simple as that really. I need to see where things are heading first. I'm certainly not putting money into it when it is still being 'called' a beta.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

I have to disagree that dumping massive amounts of money into a game makes it "good". Talented dev teams that actually care about their game is what makes a "good" game. I guess money can improve the presentation of the game, but even then it won't matter unless their is talent behind that process as well. I don't understand why so many feel theatened by F2P games..they have their place in the market...just as AAA big budget crapfests like SWTOR have theirs. People are simply unwilling to shell out 60 dollars and a sub to demo a game these days. F2P gives them the option to try before they buy.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Everyone already seems to have. This game would have been laughed off the market 8 years ago.

Now people are so beaten down by sub par MMORPGs that they actually praise a singleplayer game that quickly got multiplayer features added into it, and called an MMO. And that is not hyperbole, this game wasn't going to be an MMO originally. They added that "feature" in a year.

A good MMORPG is designed with multiplayer as its core. Nowadays though, it's just a slim half assed feature tacked onto linear singleplayer experiences.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

As games go, Neverwinter isnt bad.  If you are not into PVP and drop less than $20 into bag and bank space you can play all the PvE content and have a good time with friends.  Not many games out there allow you to do this for less than $20. If the foundry goes as planned, you can continue playing for a long time and enjoying new content and not have to paya  dime.

Sadly though, I dislike Cryptic as a company and after the newness of this game wears off and they see most people have hit max level, saw the choice of a ridiculous amount of grind time needed or the high real dollar cost of gear and they have left for greener pastures, I see changes coming to the game.  Lockboxes or limits on the foundry are two things I dont ever want to see in this game.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Video games represent probably the best example of a free market and survival of the fittest in the world. There is very little arguing over copyrights and very few legal court battles compared to other industries. GameLoft is making a living writing games for mobile platforms that are nearly identical to games on the PC or game consoles. They are known for it. Nobody has litigated them out of existence. If they did go to court, it didn't last very long at all.

My point is if games fail, it's because they aren't offering something that the consumers want. If a 'mediocre' game competes with a 'AAA' game and wins, then that 'mediocre' game isn't mediocre.

Finally, why is this in the Neverwinter forum? Are you trying to say that Neverwinter is mediocre without actually coming out and saying it or trying to slip it past the mods? If so, you need to come up with some justification for saying the game is mediocre by talking about the game play rather than trying to raise some sort of moral dilemma regarding P2P vs F2P.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

I have to disagree that dumping massive amounts of money into a game makes it "good". Talented dev teams that actually care about their game is what makes a "good" game. I guess money can improve the presentation of the game, but even then it won't matter unless their is talent behind that process as well. I don't understand why so many feel theatened by F2P games..they have their place in the market...just as AAA big budget crapfests like SWTOR have theirs. People are simply unwilling to shell out 60 dollars and a sub to demo a game these days. F2P gives them the option to try before they buy.

Despite what you, i or anyone else may think about SWTOR, it was created by a talented dev team that cared about their project and believed in it. The quality of their work shown in SW KotOR, ME and DA. It failed mostly because of lmplementing the server transfers to late forcing loyal customers away.

However you are right there is room for both but players will have to open their eyes and accept that F2P is actually F2T (Free 2 Trial) that trial may be 90% of the game but there will be something locked out. Like in AoC and SWTOR leveleing is free but endgame you have to purchase. Those that say they havnt payed and wont pay carry on and enjoy the game by all means but try not to be dissapointed when you hit the must purchase to continue wall that every F2P game has hidden somewhere. From what i hear NV's starts at 60 but i may be wrong.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I get the OP's point but in all reality the so called triple "A" titles that have launched after WoW were their own worst enemy.

Consumers/players are still waiting for the next really solid game to appear and while its true alot of folks expect the F2P model I believe a subscription based game can still be hugely successful.

Or maybe there are now too many mmo type games out there and the player base is so spread out that no one game will be able to gather enough of us in one place to make any game as successful as WoW has been.

Neverwinter is a fun little game so far but I only have about three hours of time into it so cannot really evaluate it at this point.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Pest138

Or maybe there are now too many mmo type games out there and the player base is so spread out that no one game will be able to gather enough of us in one place to make any game as successful as WoW has been.

This is pretty much the key problem.  WoW was able to tap an untouched market, that lead to its massive success, and it has become a self perpetuating game, everyone plays wow, beause  they all play wow and have invested so much time into it (although there is decline now, as expected in a 8 year old game)

The new p2p games, not only have to compete with WoW, but also every other p2p game that people have invested their time into, AND all the f2p and b2p alternatives out there.  A game, truly needs to offer something special to succeed as p2p.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Everyone already seems to have. This game would have been laughed off the market 8 years ago.

Now people are so beaten down by sub par MMORPGs that they actually praise a singleplayer game that quickly got multiplayer features added into it, and called an MMO. And that is not hyperbole, this game wasn't going to be an MMO originally. They added that "feature" in a year.

A good MMORPG is designed with multiplayer as its core. Nowadays though, it's just a slim half assed feature tacked onto linear singleplayer experiences.

You mean laughed off the market like DF1 was?

Seriously Davis you haven't played Neverwinter (at least not past the tutorial) and have no idea what your talking about. (not a surprise coming from you after all you say DF had eve like success) Its clear you don't like Neverwinter and have intentions of playing it so go back to your favorite game DFUW and stop trolling every Neverwinter thread.

Originally posted by winter

Laughed off the market? You mean, released 3 expansions, got boxes in stores, opened a second server, hired 30 more devs, relaunched on Steam, and is enjoying growing subscription rates?

You know, a damn sight better than just about every MMO on the market?

It's a fucking fact that this game wasn't going to be an MMO and that they hammered it in at the last minute. Look it up.

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Refuse to read the comments. OP tells it exactly like it is!

Reading the comments will probably just upset my brittle heart :P

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by DMKano

Mediocre does not mean its not fun.

Case in point Neverwinter imo, very mediocre but high on fun, same as Defiance for a third person shooter, mediocre, but insanely fun to me.

On the other hand GW2 very polished very much AAA but it was so boring and underwhelming to me.

Obviously its all personal opinion, in just know that for me fun is something that I can have with any title regardless of overall quality or polish.

Neverwinter to me is about 6/10 but fun factor is 10/10

Also to above poster you don't have to spend $20 to have fun in this game you don't have to spend a cent, I certainly won't just as there is nothing in the store that is worth buying IMO.

^ I agree with this entirely.  Defiance and Neverwinter, both should be crap and are a little lazy but a hell of a lot of fun.  GW2 is highly polished and incredibly detailed but utterly tedious.  

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Seriously Davis you haven't played Neverwinter (at least not past the tutorial) and have no idea what your talking about. (not a surprise coming from you after all you say DF had eve like success) Its clear you don't like Neverwinter and have intentions of playing it so go back to your favorite game DFUW and stop trolling every Neverwinter thread.

You mean laughed off just like Neverwitner will be in a few months time when the "oooo SHINEY" effect wears off?  Lay off the fanboi sauce.

Davis makes a valid point and is something that has been happening in all MMOs, the Massive Multiplayer in MMORPG.  And calling Neverwinter an MMO is laughable at best.  It's jsut a sales label when in reality it's just a CoOp sort of game.  It is only slightly more MMO than GW1.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    NO! Thankfully Neverwinter is an amazing game!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by furbans

You mean laughed off just like Neverwitner will be in a few months time when the "oooo SHINEY" effect wears off?  Lay off the fanboi sauce.

Davis makes a valid point and is something that has been happening in all MMOs, the Massive Multiplayer in MMORPG.  And calling Neverwinter an MMO is laughable at best.  It's jsut a sales label when in reality it's just a CoOp sort of game.  It is only slightly more MMO than GW1.

It's more MMO than DDO which people praise that game now. Just because Neverwinter has a lot of dungeons you're gonna call it a lobby game? You likely haven't actually played it past lvl 10 then if you feel that way. It's definitely an MMO.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    So far I am enjoying it. When i stop enjoying it I will play something else. Its really not worth overthinking this stuff. They are just games.

All die, so die well.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

If we're going Hypothical... This game would of dominated 8 years ago because it wouldn't have the absurdly costing cash shop DDO released like trash, So it would of had a monthly fee and all content would be available in the game to find. This game would of played Amazing 8 years ago... So I really don't see what you're referring too. Gotta think WoW was 9 years ago, this game would of been better then nearly every game to launch after WoW and it would of came out 1 year after in your Hypothical scenario.

I still would of preferred the open PvP of Age of Conan but... we all know how many people complained about AoC.

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

Laughed off the market? You mean, released 3 expansions, got boxes in stores, opened a second server, hired 30 more devs, relaunched on Steam, and is enjoying growing subscription rates?

You know, a damn sight better than just about every MMO on the market?

It's a fucking fact that this game wasn't going to be an MMO and that they hammered it in at the last minute. Look it up.

Growing subscriptions? WTF are you talking about? If Darkfall is so amazing why are you even here instead of earning some Prowess Points? I think you got 180 reps of mob grinding to do. I'm not going to be a hater like you and wish doom on any product but also I would never absurdly insult a product because it wasn't my cup of tea. There's nothing other than the "Zen Market" on this game worth insulting, well... maybe server lag... but thats about it, everything else functions. It's unfortunte DF:UW will fail, reason being is there is no skill cap so any new players will have to stand toe to toe in a full loot game against people with 100k PP, They'll have ot go farm 150-180 of each mob type (Horrible AI btw) in a world where they get 2-3 shot. So if you want to argue valid complaints check those out.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You hit it on the nail OP and it is not just about NW,it is about all games.Since the entire market is not really doing well,as most every game drops off badly,they are going to go the cheaper investment.Sadly the developers will still lie to you and tell you how great thier AAA game is.

F2p is a tell tale of cheap never mind mediocre.They have to design their game to support all the free loaders.They will still tell you  how great the game is,umm no people are still linear questing like every other game on the market,the difference being you made an uglier game including everything from models,to meshes,to armour,gear,lighting,textures ect ect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Fendel84M

It's more MMO than DDO which people praise that game now.

Haha no they don't. It was a disaster when it launched and it was only worth playing for a short span of time because it was the only FTP game on the market. It was never a good MMO. Or even really an MMO.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

I'm not "settling" for anything. The game is fun as hell to play, and frankly, that's all that matters. When that ends, be it in 2 months or two yeras, I'll stop playing.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Everyone already seems to have. This game would have been laughed off the market 8 years ago. Now people are so beaten down by sub par MMORPGs that they actually praise a singleplayer game that quickly got multiplayer features added into it, and called an MMO. And that is not hyperbole, this game wasn't going to be an MMO originally. They added that "feature" in a year. A good MMORPG is designed with multiplayer as its core. Nowadays though, it's just a slim half assed feature tacked onto linear singleplayer experiences.

Haha no they don't. It was a disaster when it launched and it was only worth playing for a short span of time because it was the only FTP game on the market. It was never a good MMO. Or even really an MMO.

Well..DDO started off as a premium title with monthly subscription, and to be honest it shows in its quality..
    Just compare the dungeons and you will have your answer.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by thark

Well..DDO started off as a premium title with monthly subscription, and to be honest it shows in its quality.. Just compare the dungeons and you will have your answer.

You mean how DDO had voice acted parts where a narrator describes your surroundings, making it feel more like a game of tabletop D&D?

Other than that, there isn't really much of a difference between the dungeons in both games.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

Agreed...and this applies to all games, not just MMO's and certainly not just Neverwinter. Talent and implementation > money. 

If you've ever been surprised by a game that was flying under your radar, that's proof right there. However, I've played more mediocre games than great games over the years. It's nothing new that a few games stand out. This has been true since the Atari 2600.