Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You guys think DISNEY will do a new SW trilogy based MMORPG?

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by pmw4friend
    Honestly idk but i really hope they don't because i have never like star wars and i don't think ill ever do .. no disrespect for the people that do enjoy star wars but my opinion is that it sucks

So, because you don't like something, you hope it isn't created for others that do?

Kind of odd, especially since it wouldn't really affect you anyway...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Who could really make a Star Wars game right?  I keep going in circles with that one.

That indeed is a great question.

Quite hoenstly, there are very few current studios I would say even have a shot at getting it right and NONE I would say that I'd actually is perfect for the job. BioWare would have been the best candidate but... we know how that turned out.

I'd say you pretty much have to build the right group... aside from that, and people are going to wanna crucify me for saying this... but I think SOE would be the company to do it -- I think EQNext is going to be a big step for them in a great direction for MMORPG's.

I also believe if they got another shot at it, they'd have a wealth of lessons learned from SWG and from KOTOR... and they would build a 'SandPark' full of freedom and advneture.

Aside from that, I think CCP could POSSIBLY be a strong candidate, as can funcom - who I admire for always at least trying new things even if things don't quite work out for them.  I actually feel kinda bad for funcom. Anyhoo...

*braces for impact...*

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Building an mmo is like building an appartment building and trying to get your money back through rent. It's a bad investment with high risk.

Disney is way too smart to ever buy into that nonsense. They build condos for huge profit ( consol games, movies, toys ect ) get in get out with bags of money and move on to the next fad. None of this life time of customer server and endless development.

All you have to do is look at what happened to any big company that failed at living up to the fans expectation and you'd know Disney would never risk that for a silly game. Pissing off millions of fans and having their name dragged through the mud isn't the type of industry they'll ever get directly involved in.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

they are involved,,they own the IP, remember?

some fans are already blaming the mouse for swtors situation,,go figure

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Nope, because Bioware own the "Old Republic" name.  Even though it's still star wars.

Anyway SWTOR isn't doing to bad.  I quit wow to play it and I've never looked back (though wow is in a pretty dreadful state now).  But you can't help but see EA's influence over it, SWTOR was dumbed down some during the beta because of EA. It started off a lot closer to KOTOR and your class and choices made much more of a difference.  But that's the kind of thing you get from big publishers these days. If a vegetable can't understand it, they don't like it :/

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

Several years ago, I would have said Bioware could do it....mumble...mumble...mumble...

I know SOE gets allot of heat around here, but I think they could do it. SWG initially was a great game (keeping in mind it's age and the time when it was released). Yes it was ruined by some horrible game changing desicions, but I feel SOE without LA looking over their shoulder could really make a good Star Wars MMO. One thing about SWG is that it FELT like Star Wars (SWTOR does not at all IMO). Like them or not, SOE has put out some good games over the years (EQ, Planetside, etc). Just my opinion.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

Several years ago, I would have said Bioware could do it....mumble...mumble...mumble...

I know SOE gets allot of heat around here, but I think they could do it. SWG initially was a great game (keeping in mind it's age and the time when it was released). Yes it was ruined by some horrible game changing desicions, but I feel SOE without LA looking over their shoulder could really make a good Star Wars MMO. One thing about SWG is that it FELT like Star Wars (SWTOR does not at all IMO). Like them or not, SOE has put out some good games over the years (EQ, Planetside, etc). Just my opinion.

Well they could use most of the cancelled MMO game's stories from "The Agency" for an imperial agent MMO but I do feel they are a little busy with EQNext for the time being. Let's not forget in another thread , the interview with Mr Olhen , where other Ip's or possibly another SW MMO could be a possibility. Throws pixie dust and vanishes , again.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

If they do, it looks like EA will be doing it.

http://kotaku.com/ea-snags-exclusive-deal-to-make-star-wars-games-493178983

Commence head explosions? :)

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by MikeB

Worst news of the decade.  Such a sad day for Star Wars and MMO players all together.

Honestly this news deserves a headline all of it's own.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It really depends on how much the license will cost and what else is required to even purchase the license. I mean... Paris Hilton has a lot of money, but I doubt they would let someone like that license the Star Wars name. Disney has a purity and reputation to uphold. They just can't let anyone license it.

If their restrictions and costs aren't crazy, we could see several future Star Wars MMOs.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by ragz45

Worst news of the decade.  Such a sad day for Star Wars and MMO players all together.

Your wish is our command!

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Your wish is our command!

So Mr Olhen hinted at this and I picked up on it and got called , see bottom of my sig , a villain for it by none other than "Ignore me " so are you gonna come appogiese to me then huh ? Great news for SWTOR , seems like we might get another expansion or MMO , or RPG , who knows. Might have to change my pixie dust villain now then.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little image

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I just felt a tremour in the force. As if dozens of angry posters cried out loud and were suddenly silenced. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by MikeB If they do, it looks like EA will be doing it. http://kotaku.com/ea-snags-exclusive-deal-to-make-star-wars-games-493178983 Commence head explosions? :)
    I just felt a tremour in the force. As if dozens of angry posters cried out loud and were suddenly silenced. ;)

It doesn't say anything about MMOs though. Everybody knew that they would be making games, and everybody has overall been pretty happy with the Star Wars single player games, so there's no reason to think that EA is a poor choice to make a bunch of single player games based off of the SW franchise under Disney's direction.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by MikeB If they do, it looks like EA will be doing it. http://kotaku.com/ea-snags-exclusive-deal-to-make-star-wars-games-493178983 Commence head explosions? :)

It doesn't say anything about MMOs though. Everybody knew that they would be making games, and everybody has overall been pretty happy with the Star Wars single player games, so there's no reason to think that EA is a poor choice to make a bunch of single player games based off of the SW franchise under Disney's direction.
    MMOs are just another category for game. When Disney says that EA is the exclusive maker of all Star Wars games that includes any MMOs that might be made.  I also have to disagree with your statement that everyone has overall been happy with the single player games. The Star Wars single player games have been very hit and miss.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Not that I like EA. But finally SWG can die and their fans can shut up about it.

It's like a million voices cried out at once and were suddenly silenced. Music to my ears.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Not that I like EA. But finally SWG can die and their fans can shut up about it.

It's like a million voices cried out at once and were suddenly silenced. Music to my ears.

More like a couple dozen posters cried out at once and were suddenly silenced. If there had actually been a million the game would have never shut down. ;)

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

More like a couple dozen posters cried out at once and were suddenly silenced. If there had actually been a million the game would have never shut down. ;)

Uhm, yes it would. Even 1 mill subs wouldn't be high enough for LA/SOE or whoever they are. They wanted WoW sub numbers.

Greed > anything

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    To the OP, No, just no
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yea  ,,how well are they treating the warhammer IP?

and the sports games? a few tweaks in gameplay, and new ream roster,,thats next years version

and at full price,,every year

in a galaxy far, far away,,darth vader is crying right now

but, at least ,they didnt get star trek

Originally posted by lizardbones  

Originally posted by MikeB If they do, it looks like EA will be doing it. http://kotaku.com/ea-snags-exclusive-deal-to-make-star-wars-games-493178983 Commence head explosions? :) I just felt a tremour in the force. As if dozens of angry posters cried out loud and were suddenly silenced. ;)
    MMOs are just another category for game. When Disney says that EA is the exclusive maker of all Star Wars games that includes any MMOs that might be made.  I also have to disagree with your statement that everyone has overall been happy with the single player games. The Star Wars single player games have been very hit and miss.

The press release doesn't mention anything about a new MMO being made. All of the subsidiary companies are known for a mix of hit and miss single player games (more hits than misses) and one MMO that was a pretty solid miss. It is far more likely that they are going to make a series of games that are not MMOs than make even one MMO. Especially considering that if they started right now, they probably wouldn't be able to get it out the door until the last movie released.

RTS games might be in there too. Several single player games and one RTS is the most likely scenario.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Uhm, yes it would. Even 1 mill subs wouldn't be high enough for LA/SOE or whoever they are. They wanted WoW sub numbers.

Greed > anything

Yup. The day the shut down announcement came, the server populations were rising. SWG had 4 FULL servers then too, with a possible 5th on its way, which is more than what SWTOR is getting right now (although no one can transfer servers to get one FULL). They gave 6 months notice for closure showing that the game was still strong. If it was because there were few players it would have only had 1-2 months notice.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Originally posted by AzurePrower Not that I like EA. But finally SWG can die and their fans can shut up about it. It's like a million voices cried out at once and were suddenly silenced. Music to my ears.
     Uhm, yes it would. Even 1 mill subs wouldn't be high enough for LA/SOE or whoever they are. They wanted WoW sub numbers. Greed > anything
    Yup. The day the shut down announcement came, the server populations were rising. SWG had 4 FULL servers then too, with a possible 5th on its way, which is more than what SWTOR is getting right now (although no one can transfer servers to get one FULL). They gave 6 months notice for closure showing that the game was still strong. If it was because there were few players it would have only had 1-2 months notice.

Sony stated that they expected a million players. The maxed out at three hundred thousand, well under what they expected. They game, while profitable, never performed even close to what they wanted. From the perspective of the players it may have been strong, but from the perspective of the people who actually owned the game, it was a flop.

Incidentally, SWG is also the reason that all these companies tell you how many people sign up on the website. SWG had 400k people sign up on the website prior to the game's release, which was apparently more than had signed up for any game previously. Since then, the sign ups for a game's website have been something that developers can advertise and brag about.

A million subscribers is what they expected, they maxed out at 300k subscribers. They did sell over a million copies of the game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

No.

What's the incentive? SWG didn't do well (to the eyes of those who were in charge; so they made changes and that caused more problems than the changes seemed to solve. So "problems there" and not a lot of money.

SWToR gets released but it either didn't capture those who wanted SWG 2 or for those who were fine with the scope of the game, it didn't have enough content,. Didnt' keep players and didn't make the money they thought it would.

So more problems.

I can't see any large company with any sense saying "well, it didn't work those times so maybe it will work again!!!!"

Having said that it depends on EA as they have exclusive Licensing rights.

So you think EA wants to plunge millions upon millions of dollars into another mmo, probalby canibalizing their own current SWToR mmo which they are trying to sustain and make it not only profitable but very profitable?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo