Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1/3 people not resubbing - not looking good

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?367264-Are-you-going-to-resub-If-not-why

11 page thread with well over 500 unique votes....  Not a good sign for AV - as a lot of the people state they are not going to keep chasing the carrot like they did in DF1.  This means AV really needs to step up their addition of actual content or else the game will end up like the first quickly....

Also, do not be fooled this first month saying how good the population is - I got a clanmate on 2 PC's running 10 alts whicha re accounts from clanmates who already paid for the game but did not play at launch.  He of course is not resubbing them as he is only using the free month to stock up on resources.

Comments

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Another hate thread. Didn't expect any less ofcorse.

Honestly though, is this a joke or are you just out of ideas and cant write a proper hate thread anymore?
    65% saying will resub is a HUGE number for a subscription mmorpg and especially for a niche game like Darkfall. 

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I know there are people, such as myself who don't buy a game at release to avoid crowds, bugs, and connection issues.  Good old WoW didn't start out with 20,000,000 subs and work its way down.  It started at 300,000 and worked it way up.
  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by gchris7

65% saying will resub is a HUGE number for a subscription mmorpg and especially for a niche game like Darkfall. 

You just nailed it on the head - this is a total "NICHE" game and one that cannot afford to lose 34% of its current subscribers.  You know why - you said it yourself it is a niche game.  Like I said also wait like my clanmates who are running a total of 25 alts amongst all of them do NOT resub but maybe 4 of those alts since the free month will be up.  Will be even less people you see in the actual world even if they stay in the safe zone.

But yes - thanks for confirming my point indeed - mainstream games can survive a drop like that as they constantly have new people coming into the game.  A "niche" game cannot survive long term losing 1/3 of your customer base right off the bat because we see how Steam has not brought in a lot of new people. 

Just for shits and giggles let's say there are toal 15k players between EU and NA (it is not near that as total clanned is what half of that (including all the alts clanned for the free month) - and you just lost 5k subscribers and on top of that a ton of alts....  So now you got 10K between 2 servers.  AV misses deadline with adding new content and lose more people - cycle repeats and BAM you got DF1 all over again, lol

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    LOL dont expect this game to grow in numbers..
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

People who take the time to post that they are going to rage quit over X or Y usually are still playing the game a year later... and still posting about rage quitting emminently almost on clockwork.  You ask players if they are going to resub and half of them are going to either say how lovely the game is (they're the ones that actually quit and never return BTW) or how it sucks and they're not coming back (these players usually stay the longest).

Until you log on and you are the only one in game, I would leave the fortune telling to those in the Bahamas getting paid to do it.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Ocenica
    I know there are people, such as myself who don't buy a game at release to avoid crowds, bugs, and connection issues.  Good old WoW didn't start out with 20,000,000 subs and work its way down.  It started at 300,000 and worked it way up.

WoW is the only subscription MMORPG to do this so far. Will probably be the only one.

Not to mention the way overpriced game and sub on top of that - that has been a huge topic on steam forums on why they have been turned off.  AV has just made dumb decisions and to date the only content added in the past 6 months was Primalist and their 2 schools....  People are not putting up with it this time around.

** To the poster saying they say they will quit but still play.  I was listening on TS last night as 4 clanmates rode west from Orc lands to far West of dwarf lands and then all the way North and found 2 spawns with people at them.  Wonder where are all the people are at as all the holdings they passed were also 1) unbuilt and 2) empty completely....

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

WoW is the only subscription MMORPG to do this so far. Will probably be the only one.

EVE has also increased its player base over the years since launch, so WoW isnt the only one to do so, EVE probably has better retention rates too.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by gchris7

You just nailed it on the head - this is a total "NICHE" game and one that cannot afford to lose 34% of its current subscribers.  You know why - you said it yourself it is a niche game.  Like I said also wait like my clanmates who are running a total of 25 alts amongst all of them do NOT resub but maybe 4 of those alts since the free month will be up.  Will be even less people you see in the actual world even if they stay in the safe zone.

But yes - thanks for confirming my point indeed - mainstream games can survive a drop like that as they constantly have new people coming into the game.  A "niche" game cannot survive long term losing 1/3 of your customer base right off the bat because we see how Steam has not brought in a lot of new people. 

Just for shits and giggles let's say there are toal 15k players between EU and NA (it is not near that as total clanned is what half of that (including all the alts clanned for the free month) - and you just lost 5k subscribers and on top of that a ton of alts....  So now you got 10K between 2 servers.  AV misses deadline with adding new content and lose more people - cycle repeats and BAM you got DF1 all over again, lol

It doesn't confirm any point of yours. They're actually ahead of the curve and, if they've planned their revenue based on the past 10 years of MMO releases, are in a good position.

Look, we get that you don't like DF. We're just kinda hoping you'll find something else to rather than spam the boards here with constant negativity. You already got banned from their boards for doing that, why wait til that happens here?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

This thread is also a good reminder for those of you who plan to cencel to not forget about hiting the cancel subscription button prior AV greedy suck subscription money after the free month.

Thank you OP and t all those who plan to not resub please check account page and sub status to not forget to hit the cancel button for after the free month is over !

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DontTrustPubsDontTrustPubs Member Posts: 2

I bought the game through steam and played it heavily. A few reasons why I will not resub will be below in bulletins, keep in mind these are my personal reasons. 

1. No skill caps (hardcaps, softcaps, etc); result is massive imbalance within the game.
    2. Floaty character movement and combat. 
    3. Uninteresting lore/backstory
    4. Lack of innovation
    5. Sub

I look at a game like DayZ and I just cant justify paying for something like this.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Looks to me like only 183 people are not resubbing... at least at the time of this posting that is.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by DontTrustPubs

I bought the game through steam and played it heavily. A few reasons why I will not resub will be below in bulletins, keep in mind these are my personal reasons. 

1. No skill caps; result is massive imbalance within the game.
    2. Floaty character movement and combat. 
    3. Uninteresting lore/backstory
    4. Lack of innovation
    5. Sub

I look at a game like DayZ and I just cant justify paying for something like this.

I think that is the reason for a lot of people.  You MUST have actual content in the game than just kill 150 night hags, 150 arctic bears, etc. to justify a subscription.  We all though they had learned the first go around but sadly they did not.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?367264-Are-you-going-to-resub-If-not-why 11 page thread with well over 500 unique votes....  Not a good sign for AV - as a lot of the people state they are not going to keep chasing the carrot like they did in DF1.  This means AV really needs to step up their addition of actual content or else the game will end up like the first quickly.... Also, do not be fooled this first month saying how good the population is - I got a clanmate on 2 PC's running 10 alts whicha re accounts from clanmates who already paid for the game but did not play at launch.  He of course is not resubbing them as he is only using the free month to stock up on resources.  

I don't play the game but 2/3 of the population resubbing sounds excellent.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I know this is not "why are you not resubbing"....

But the reason I wont is because the game feels clunky, the UI, and it lacks a better tutorial.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Not to mention the way overpriced game and sub on top of that 

40 bucks is not overpriced for one of the best MMOs on the market. GW2 was 60 bucks for christ sake.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    best mmorpg first lulz.I was playing df1 for a year or something like that and liked it somehow.But my bad pc with fingercinema at big sieges turned me completly off.Now i have a better pc and i resubbed to df2 played in total for 2 days and i was done.Not even enough time to recall my old clan thats how horrible your best mmorpg is for i would say most people.
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not to mention the way overpriced game and sub on top of that 

40 bucks is not overpriced for one of the best MMOs on the market. GW2 was 60 bucks for christ sake.

Yup and no monthly fee on top of that to enjoy it for GW2....  So after 3 months in Darkfall you would be spending $70 for a game nowhere close to GW2 or others in terms of the overall MMO package.  Thanks for proving the point how over priced it is for how clunky and outdated it is with its quests of kill 150 of this mob and that mob.

Hey - let's pay a subscription for arena pvp basically in a nutshell since owning a city is 100% worthless since you can do everything in the beloved safe zones, lol

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Nitth

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?367264-Are-you-going-to-resub-If-not-why

11 page thread with well over 500 unique votes....  Not a good sign for AV - as a lot of the people state they are not going to keep chasing the carrot like they did in DF1.  This means AV really needs to step up their addition of actual content or else the game will end up like the first quickly....

Also, do not be fooled this first month saying how good the population is - I got a clanmate on 2 PC's running 10 alts whicha re accounts from clanmates who already paid for the game but did not play at launch.  He of course is not resubbing them as he is only using the free month to stock up on resources.

I'd normally agree with you if the game wasn't PvP oriented. Losing 1/3 of your playerbase means that it will be that much harder to find players to PvP with, and if it's anything like DF1, that number will quickly dwindle down further because of this.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Deerhunter71 https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?367264-Are-you-going-to-resub-If-not-why     11 page thread with well over 500 unique votes....  Not a good sign for AV - as a lot of the people state they are not going to keep chasing the carrot like they did in DF1.  This means AV really needs to step up their addition of actual content or else the game will end up like the first quickly....   Also, do not be fooled this first month saying how good the population is - I got a clanmate on 2 PC's running 10 alts whicha re accounts from clanmates who already paid for the game but did not play at launch.  He of course is not resubbing them as he is only using the free month to stock up on resources.    

I'd normally agree with you if the game wasn't PvP oriented. Losing 1/3 of your playerbase means that it will be that much harder to find players to PvP with, and if it's anything like DF1, that number will quickly dwindle down further because of this.

Sounds reasonable.

What do you think would be a good target for this game then?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

That will be a huge problem.  I already heard clanmates bitching last night on TS as they rode West out of Flaming Skull to get away from the safe zones went to the Dwarf/Mahirim lands border then turned and went far North and found only 2 spawns with people at them after riding around for nearly an hour.  People are not going to keep riding around for an hour to find a 5 minute fight.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

wow someone hates this game

citing forum polls as evidence of anything is clutching at straws

Originally posted by Muppetier

wow someone hates this game

citing forum polls as evidence of anything is clutching at straws

Oh I rarely post these days - just here and there while at work browsing the internet.  The poll gives a general idea though and let's say 34% is high and it is more like 25-30% actually - that is a HUGE # considering a niche game without a huge following based on PvP needs all the players it can get -- especially after Steam has not brought any real surge of players as people prayed and hoped for.

Also, take into consideration as I said how many people got a ton of alts going that will not be resubbed which overinflates the already "real" numbers in clans.  Like I said it is like 24 with ym clanmates with alts and so 2 months from now they will all still show in a clan BUT in reality are not being played at all.

• easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38
    It both is and is not surprising that this many people fell for UW in the first place.  
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Sounds reasonable.

What do you think would be a good target for this game then?

Truth be told, I don't know. I haven't played DFUW yet because I've weary of Aventurine (based on my 2 years of DF1). Aventurine has to change so many things if they want to turn a diminishing playerbase into an increasing playerbase with high retention, and I'm not speaking strictly of in-game features, but also in how Aventurine deal with customers. They've been around for several years already and yet they can never deliver in time. Just look at the November/December launch that turned into a Beta scheduled a week or two later, just one hour before the game was set to Launch. It's pretty serious.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Please try and use solid stats to back up such claims or your likely to be considered a troll and the thread locked accordingly.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)