Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THE411 on NeverWinter "pay2win"

Comments

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26

I don't get it: why do you think you can use any product of the world for free? Wake up, game industry (or any industry) aren't Santa!

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Great post. I hate f2p games but I decided to give this a try because of the Neverwinter name. I am getting close to end game and am realising more and more that this f2p is so far from free its a joke. I never have a problem pulling out my credit card for a good game. But this isn't even good. I play with my friends so we always have a full party. And every one of these quests aside from dungeons and skirmishes is over in a matter of minutes they were all clearly designed for solo play. Ive only just started playing at open beta, I dont even play much but me and my buddies are almost end game thats how quick these quests go. And im done, not even gonna bother getting to end game to be put at a huge disadvantage against other players who are spending 100's to play a shitty instanced themepark.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by deviltheory
    What do you people want?  Seriously what?  They NEED to make money, PERIOD.   
    Yeah, they do.

But instead of charging ridiculous high prices they could have reasonable prices and more people would open up their wallets.

Its like trying to become a millionaire by selling lemonade at $1000 a cup.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Anyone that tries to pvp in a f2p game is just asking to either be broke or frustrated. It's the only place that buying isn't an option. You either pay or you lose to someone with better gear.

If you don't pvp...none of the big price tag things are must have or you can't play items.

I have no problems with games that milk pvpers or people who have to have things right now. It's the way it should work.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah, they do.

But instead of charging ridiculous high prices they could have reasonable prices and more people would open up their wallets.

Tempted to try this

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

This thread was a real buzz kill as I am greatly enjoying the game at a low lvl. My only question to those of you at lvl cap is , How essential are these top tier enchants to running dungeons? I mean obviosly they make your toon stronger but are the "end game " dungeons next to immposible to beat without a party of 5 decked out in cash shop enchants?

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by thunderC

This thread was a real buzz kill as I am greatly enjoying the game at a low lvl. My only question to those of you at lvl cap is , How essential are these top tier enchants to running dungeons? I mean obviosly they make your toon stronger but are the "end game " dungeons next to immposible to beat without a party of 5 decked out in cash shop enchants?

They aren't essential. They aren't even suggested. I've out healed other people that have them on my cleric. I saw someone in the end pvp gear get out damaged by someone in basic blues as well. This is all just paranoid delusions or simply hating. Someone who hates on ftp will never admit it though.

You see how everyone is ignoring my posts at the start of this thread? Those who don't want to listen won't see sense. I already have a top tier enchantment and am close to my second without spending any real money. Only 3 more to go after that and I'm fully geared. The Astral diamonds are coming in thicker and faster now as well. People saying this is a problem simply don't know what they are talking about.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Anyone that tries to pvp in a f2p game is just asking to either be broke or frustrated. It's the only place that buying isn't an option. You either pay or you lose to someone with better gear.

If you don't pvp...none of the big price tag things are must have or you can't play items.

Agreed. For the PvE players, which are the majority, none of the voodoo math applies.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

OP,

Excellent post. I applaud you for providing facts and avoiding the hate/fanboism that is common to these boards.   

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

OP,

Excellent post. I applaud you for providing facts and avoiding the hate/fanboism that is common to these boards.

Misses out tons of vital info. It's a biased post. [mod edit]

Originally posted by Vannor

OP,

Misses out tons of vital info. It's a biased post. You're delusional.

[mod edit]

I've never fanboied anything in my life and I never will. There's tons of things I hate about Neverwinter and I wish it didn't have a cash shop at all. But.. if people are wrong, people are wrong. No amount of opinions is going to change that.

People who arn't even at the endgame are openly bashing it without knowing what they are talking about.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Overall, I think if you play the game like a single player rpg (I have found myself trying to press F5 to save many times) and not worry about the cash shop, you will have a more enjoyable time. Unless of course you are one of those players that "has" to keep up with everyone else.

I will play this game now and again, but there is no way I'm putting any money into it. I will support the devs by word of mouth and letting others know it is a top knotch game, but imho, has an irritating combat system that constantly roots the player.

edit: OP, thank you for the information! It did help me quite a bit.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

They aren't essential. They aren't even suggested. I've out healed other people that have them on my cleric. I saw someone in the end pvp gear get out damaged by someone in basic blues as well. This is all just paranoid delusions or simply hating. Someone who hates on ftp will never admit it though.

You see how everyone is ignoring my posts at the start of this thread? Those who don't want to listen won't see sense. I already have a top tier enchantment and am close to my second without spending any real money. Only 3 more to go after that and I'm fully geared. The Astral diamonds are coming in thicker and faster now as well. People saying this is a problem simply don't know what they are talking about.

Good to hear. I do plan on dropping a 20 here and a 20 there in the near future with the cash shop but in no way would i continue to play a game that requires you to drop a few hundred bucks to Play. I'd have to assume based on your post alot of the cash shop hysteria is being created by those who simply want to bash the f2p cash model in general an discourage all from supporting it. 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Good to hear. I do plan on dropping a 20 here and a 20 there in the near future with the cash shop but in no way would i continue to play a game that requires you to drop a few hundred bucks to Play. I'd have to assume based on your post alot of the cash shop hysteria is being created by those who simply want to bash the f2p cash model in general an discourage all from supporting it. 

It's no secret that paying will get you there quicker.. but some people blow that out of proportion. They make it sound like it's almost impossible or will take months if you don't pay. It's just not true.

In a tradtional MMO combat system things like this probably would matter a lot in terms of character performance but it's just not as big a deal in NW. If that guy who spent $2000 in the cash shop can't dodge properly, he's dead.. and the skilled free players are gradually catching up at a 'reasonable' rate (subjective, I know) and getting all the enchants and gear they have.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Shazzel

Oh my.. I truely am fed up of correcting people on this enchant upgrade and crafting qaulity issue they 'think' there is.

All the items needed for these things can be earned through invocation. The items are also on the AH constantly at very affordable prices.

So.. you can either buy them with Zen bought with real money, invocate and get them from time to time at no cost at all (no ingame or real currency), buy the ones on the AH with Astral Diamonds or exchange Astral Diamonds for Zen to buy them.

If three ways of getting them without paying real money isn't enough then I don't really know what you want...

More conventient to pay.

Work for 30 cents per hour for 30-40 days to get bags, or 2 mins with a credit card... gee I dunno.

Did I say anything about bags?

I will if you want though...

You can create an unlimited amount of free accounts and mail your items for free to those characters and use them as mules. There, problem solved.

Or.. mail your items to yourself and leave them in the mailbox until you need them.

Th e irony is when these F2P companies release their numbers and say we have 10,000,000 registered users!!!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by mcrippins
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah, they do.

Tempted to try this

Until you get undercut by the kid down the block selling his lemonade for $990...

Originally posted by Wighty

Oh my.. I truely am fed up of correcting people on this enchant upgrade and crafting qaulity issue they 'think' there is.

All the items needed for these things can be earned through invocation. The items are also on the AH constantly at very affordable prices.

So.. you can either buy them with Zen bought with real money, invocate and get them from time to time at no cost at all (no ingame or real currency), buy the ones on the AH with Astral Diamonds or exchange Astral Diamonds for Zen to buy them.

If three ways of getting them without paying real money isn't enough then I don't really know what you want...

More conventient to pay.

Work for 30 cents per hour for 30-40 days to get bags, or 2 mins with a credit card... gee I dunno.

You can create an unlimited amount of free accounts and mail your items for free to those characters and use them as mules. There, problem solved.

Or.. mail your items to yourself and leave them in the mailbox until you need them.

Th e irony is when these F2P companies release their numbers and say we have 10,000,000 registered users!!!

You've no idea how rampant is it.

Because you can get the ward boxes, tradeskill boxes and AD from invocation people are creating up to 100 accounts and invocating on each other thier characters a few times a day. Every 7 days they will get about 50 of those wards to use themselves and sell on the AH. They will be 'covering' the place soon... there will be so many up on that AH, all rediculously cheap...

Originally posted by Wighty

More conventient to pay.

You've no idea how rampant is it.

Because you can get the ward boxes, tradeskill boxes and AD from invocation people are creating up to 100 accounts and invocating on each other thier characters a few times a day. Every 7 days they will get about 50 of those wards to use themselves and sell on the AH. They will be 'covering' the place soon... there will be so many up on that AH, all rediculously cheap...

The shit of it is... this seems like the only way to get ahead... Wait until the AD farmers start spamming... they will probably have 1000's of accounts they are doing this with.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    What do you people want?  Seriously what?  They NEED to make money, PERIOD.  They give you all you need to play and enjoy the game for free, and they offer benefits for the players that want to pay.  This is not P2W, you can get all the same combat benefits by working for it for free.  Yes payers will get it faster, so what?  They have to offer something to entice people to spend money.

You contradict yourself, everything you write is P2W by definition. P2W does not mean you cannot get things for free, it mean if you want to "win" as in be in the top game, you have to pay. That you can get the same by spending half a lifetime means it is unrealistic and purely theoretical to get the same as someone paying.

That is what P2W means, whether You think its a problem is another question.

Other than that, Neverwinter is a good game and I might even throw some money at them, but I can never go in 100% like I did with other mmorpgs, because I know that I would be competing on investment and that is not what I play games for.

Anyways, thanks poster and whoever helped for clarifying what cost what and reasons to get it.

ps. There is a positive side to P2W too. Cryptic will probably do something to limit gold(astral) farmers and cheaters generally because those directly compete with how the game is supposed to make money. As opposed to WoW, where hunting down those are mostly just expenses for Blizzard.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

Question the mounts you buy in the zen market do they only last 5 hours also?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by hyllstarter

Nop all bought mounts are permanent, also the 5gold ones.

Originally posted by hyllstarter

Purchased mounts are perm...

The same goes for the basic mounts you can purchase for 5 gold from the stable (perm)

Only token mounts are temp

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

zen store, and mounts bought with gold are permanent. 

Store mounts are also account wide.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    /snip

You are basicly agree'ing with the article, you can get everything for free, but its VASTLY faster/easier to attain with a credit card. The average Joe will want bags and bank slots, not the mailbox run-around.

The article says be prepared to spend $250-$500.

I just explained why people shouldn't be prepared to spend that.

Seriously i can't see why anyone would spend anywhere near those amounts in a game were one can reach max level in a mouth without paying anything. Hell the OP says he didn't pay anything and made it to end game in what 2 weeks.

SO Yay you can pay to look ultra cool or to reach the end game in one week but really even the Op admits you don't have to spend a dime to have fun and enjoy the game to the end.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

I've been playing this game for a little bit now. I have a level 44 Guardian using a cap ranked 15 Cleric companion. Here is my take on Neverwinter so far up to this point without spending any real cash.

1. The game is fun and I am enjoying myself so far but stuck on a boss I just cannot get past or I would be in the upper 40's level by now.

2. Everything that cost either astral diamonds or ZEN in the cash shops is beyond insane in pricing and I will never spend a cent on these ridiculous prices. I'm also disgusted with obtaining and having all these 'Nightmare Lockboxes' in my inventory that I will never be able to open due to what it cost in real cash to buy ZEN, then to buy a skeleton key to open 1 box. They try to entice you to buy ZEN because of the chance of receiving an 'Inferno Nightmare' mount among other items. If you try to sell these lockboxes no one wants them they are worthless as everyone else that refuses to spend cash is trying to dump these boxes as well and there are alot of people trying to rid themselves of the lock boxes. You obtain these lockboxes as loot dropped from time to time while playing the game.

3. Crafting is unique but obtaining resources to continue crafting is absurd. You won't be leveling any of the crafting professions up anytime soon. The ony one that is feasible in leveling is the Leadership profession.

4. Right now I have mixxed emotions about continuing playing. While I can keep playing entirely for free this game is very centric on paying real cash. I'd rather pay a monthly fee in this game and receive everything which would be wayyyyy much cheaper.

Realistically instead of dropping $40 on just an awesome mount and $20 on many other much needed items I'm going to spend that cash on a new game. Especially in June since there are some much awaited titles releasing that makes more sense than dropping serious cash on a few items in Neverwinter.

Also a correction the free mount rental you get when you hit level 20 is 40% movement speed. The horse you can buy with 5 gold is 50% movement speed. The 5 gold mount is all I plan on using and works just fine.