Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is All PVP Still Restricted To Cyrodiil? If It Is Im Not Buying This Game

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tes isn't that kind of universe

It's not a goodies vs baddies type universe, its a various shades of grey universe

well its still ES ,but what kind of ES is that which makes Narnia sound like a horror movie.

Does narnia have kids doing the black sacremant using their mothers corpse to make a contract with the dark brotherhood to kill a old hag at a orphanage? Does narnia have a perverted necromancer that kidnaps women to make them his undead sex slaves? Or how about torturing a priest til he submits himself to a demon just so u can get a demonic mace?

Now we are talking and pretty much walking ,can players do that kind of things to other players ?

If not ,it sounds like a sim city MMO,where people can do weird things,alone so who cares.

oh so if a game doesnt have the standard good vs evil factions fighting eachother its not adult enough is that what you saying?

Some players are good and some are not?

What kind of world is that where standard is that every player is good ? even Christian Bibles Heaven is horror movie compared to that.

elder scrolls was never about being either good or evil, as the other poster said its mainly in shades of grey which makes it realistic because in reality there are no one who is perfectly good and completely evil, sometimes people make a good choice and sometimes people make a selfish choice.  Saying elder scrolls makes narnia look like a horror show is the dumbest thing i heard...elder scrolls universe is so much darker filled with mature content for the players.

Well in my Skyrim or Morrowind or Oblivion i can act the way i want but in your games i cant.

Mature content is nothing if its not player made in multiplayer game,when i save someones life in multiplayer game and you kill some NPC ,theres a huge difference and you wont see anyone saving anyones lifes in world like that because there wont be anyone trying to kill anybody,because its not possible,they dont even allow anyone to try.

And because its not possible then what kind of world is that ?

but why are you comparing it to narnia? what does narnia have to do with anything player controlled?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP ...I wish you had found that out months ago...so we wouldn't have to go through this weak attempt at disguised criticism of the game.
    Originally posted by Sovrath

elder scrolls was never about being either good or evil, as the other poster said its mainly in shades of grey which makes it realistic because in reality there are no one who is perfectly good and completely evil, sometimes people make a good choice and sometimes people make a selfish choice.  Saying elder scrolls makes narnia look like a horror show is the dumbest thing i heard...elder scrolls universe is so much darker filled with mature content for the players.

no no no

You can act how you want in the elder scrolls games. I've made characters who were evil as one can be and characters that were as good as one could be.

Does that mean in one playthrough you never joined the dark brother hood and thieves guild?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Rhonen
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Why rule out a whole game that you could very well end up really liking just because one feature isn't to your liking on paper? Let's say pvp is restricted to one zone, but come launch day, people get to that zone and find out its really well made and, most importantly, extremely fun to play. Do you want to miss out on that just because you have already set limits on what features you need in order to enjoy a game?

My advice would be to just play the game and decide for yourself if its fun to you or not.

I would rather have a root-canal than take part in any sort of PvP event.

The fact that they have PvE content in a PvP area is like a slap in the face of the PvE'ers that do not wish to take part in any sort of PvP.

I'll be picking up ESO but I seriously doubt I'll play it long.  I may go through some of the content but I'll uninstall it shortly thereafter.

Have you considered that just maybe, the PvE in Cyrodiil is there for PvPers who want some PvE mixed in, not for people who hate PvP? You'd have to be blind to think that every feature in every MMO is aimed at the "no-PvP-ever" crowd.

As to what you will do with the game... makes sense. Despite marketting gobledygook to make everyone who plays MMOs in any concievable way feel welcome, the main feature of this game is RvR in Cyrodiil. If you're not into that, the game is obviously not targetted at you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Iselin

Why rule out a whole game that you could very well end up really liking just because one feature isn't to your liking on paper? Let's say pvp is restricted to one zone, but come launch day, people get to that zone and find out its really well made and, most importantly, extremely fun to play. Do you want to miss out on that just because you have already set limits on what features you need in order to enjoy a game?

My advice would be to just play the game and decide for yourself if its fun to you or not.

The fact that they have PvE content in a PvP area is like a slap in the face of the PvE'ers that do not wish to take part in any sort of PvP.

I'll be picking up ESO but I seriously doubt I'll play it long.  I may go through some of the content but I'll uninstall it shortly thereafter.

Have you considered that just maybe, the PvE in Cyrodiil is there for PvPers who want some PvE mixed in, not for people who hate PvP? You'd have to be blind to think that every feature in every MMO is aimed at the "no-PvP-ever" crowd.

As to what you will do with the game... makes sense. Despite marketting gobledygook to make everyone who plays MMOs in any concievable way feel welcome, the main feature of this game is RvR in Cyrodiil. If you're not into that, the game is obviously not targetted at you.

Not sure I agree. There is some awesome work going on to make AvA awesome but there is a lot of talk of what they will have for PvE as well. Im just as excited about the PvE game as I am about the AvA.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Not sure I agree. There is some awesome work going on to make AvA awesome but there is a lot of talk of what they will have for PvE as well. Im just as excited about the PvE game as I am about the AvA.

DAoC also had good PvE and I enjoyed it a lot but it was an RvR game. Saying it wasn't would be like saying WOW is a PvP game--you can PvP in it and many enjoy it but it's a PvE game.

Same thing here. There will be good PvE but I still say it's an AvA game.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Thinking on it now, the "mega server" thing could actually work really well for PvPers.. lumping people who want open pvp together in their own version.  That said, doubt it'll actually happen.

DAoC also had good PvE and I enjoyed it a lot but it was an RvR game. Saying it wasn't would be like saying WOW is a PvP game--you can PvP in it and many enjoy it but it's a PvE game.

Again I dont agree. I spent about a year just doing PvE before I even did RvR in DAoC. I had lots of friends who did the same thing. I knew some guilds where their focus was PvE. I even know some players who never did RvR in DAoC. They lived in open world dungeons. My friends and I spent about 3/4 of our time in PvE. Looking back at crafting, open world dungeons and quest. alts. I bet a lot would say the same. Not to mention often the point of RvR was to controle Darkness falls, no more people would be left in RvR then needed to defend what we had, rotating people in and out of the RvR area so everyone had their turn in DF. What they are giving in ESO for PvE, I have a feeling it will be the same or even more so. There is a lot of TES fans whos focus will be PvE IMO and there is lots there for them by the current design.

Again I dont agree. I spent about a year just doing PvE before I even did RvR in DAoC. I had lots of friends who did the same thing. I knew some guilds where their focus was PvE. I even know some players who never did RvR in DAoC. They lived in open world dungeons. My friends and I spent about 3/4 of our time in PvE. Looking back at crafting, open world dungeons and quest. alts. I bet a lot would say the same. Not to mention often the point of RvR was to controle Darkness falls, no more people would be left in RvR then needed to defend what we had, rotating people in and out of the RvR area so everyone had their turn in DF. What they are giving in ESO for PvE, I have a feeling it will be the same or even more so. There is a lot of TES fans whos focus will be PvE IMO and there is lots there for them by the current design.

I get the feeling you didn't play DAoC at the beginning. How long after release did you start playing it? I can't remember exact dates for Darkness Falls release but I think it was a full year before it was even in the game. The expansions changed DAoC a lot and many of us left precisely because of them...because Mythic started WOWsizing the game.

They eventually acknowledged they had messed it all up and proposed starting a DAoC Origins server which they never got around to doing.

It's not even worth arguing about what DAoC was about. It was clearly about RvR - that was its main feature. Game sites describe it that way... even Wikipedia does. I have no idea why anyone would want to say it wasn't.

Was it possible to play without RvR? Anything is possible but that was not how the game was designed. I was in the Guinevere server and in the years I played it I never met a single person who didn't RvR...shrug.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc was a rare game that looked after pve and pvp equally. If it didn't have good pve, it wouldn't have enjoyed the large influx of
    EQ players that it had.

Only other one I can think of with same 50/50 approach is gw2. Although I'm not a fan of gw2, feels to juvenile for my tastes.

It was the last 2 expansions toa and catacombs that stared adding wow like gear grind. DF predated them by a few years.

I get the feeling you didn't play DAoC at the beginning. How long after release did you start playing it? I can't remember exact dates for Darkness Falls release but I think it was a full year before it was even in the game. The expansions changed DAoC a lot and many of us left precisely because of them...because Mythic started WOWsizing the game.

They eventually acknowledged they had messed it all up and proposed starting a DAoC Origins server which they never got around to doing.

It's not even worth arguing about what DAoC was about. It was clearly about RvR - that was its main feature. Game sites describe it that way... even Wikipedia does. I have no idea why anyone would want to say it wasn't.

Was it possible to play without RvR? Anything is possible but that was not how the game was designed. I was in the Guinevere server and in the years I played it I never met a single person who didn't RvR...shrug.

I was there from day 1. first year or so I played all 3 realms, leveled a few chars in each realm and made friends. I had no intrest in RvR till a bunch of my RL friends joined a RvR guild and we all started RvRing hardcore. RvR was by far its crowning gem but point I dont agree with you on is thats the only way to play DAoC or ESO. There is lots to do in both games outside the RvR/AvA map. My wife is a pure PvEer and has no plans to play PvP in ESO. But she cant wait for phased events and like Rift would spend hours going from public quest to public quest. When not doing that she is a crafter at heart. ESO sounds like a crafters dream if they do 1/2 what the plan. When we play together and not doing that kinda of content she will want to be exploring the other 2 maps that are 50+ and 50++. I know you think its a bad idea for content but she is really really excited about that. There is lots to do in ESO outside AvA much like DAoC.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

no no no

You can act how you want in the elder scrolls games. I've made characters who were evil as one can be and characters that were as good as one could be.

Does that mean in one playthrough you never joined the dark brother hood and thieves guild?

In Oblvion I played the thieves guild quest as it was a bit "robin hoodish" and it fit one of my characters. I had to make an entirely differnet character for the Dark Brotherhood.

In Skyrim I've yet to go through either the thieves' guild or dark brotherhood quests as I have just made a sutiable character to try those.

but on my main character I never go through the dark brotherhood or thieve's guild quests.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

no no no

In Oblvion I played the thieves guild quest as it was a bit "robin hoodish" and it fit one of my characters. I had to make an entirely differnet character for the Dark Brotherhood.

In Skyrim I've yet to go through either the thieves' guild or dark brotherhood quests as I have just made a sutiable character to try those.

but on my main character I never go through the dark brotherhood or thieve's guild quests.

thats too bad cuz the nightingale armor is pretty badass

• easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38

it's probably going to be for baddies/carebears, unfortunately

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47

Modern gamers don't want that, they come from a me generation they don't get the concept of everyone on the same side working towards the same goals, with pveers, pvpers and crafters all being cross reliant on each other.

Couldn't be said better.

This is what TESO is going to be. Its supposed to be an Alliance game, a TEAM game yet it still comes with a healthy dose of PVE for those wishing to have that TES experience that we all crave.

PVE will contain :

1) Tons of the traditional quest and other "emergent" quest (ala Dynamic events + Rift type events)

2) Molag Baal storyline which is 100% SOLO.

3) On top of that, at 50 you will be able to access 2 other realm campaigns for MOAR PVE.

Not enough?

Its a given that more quests/dungeons/whatever will be added in after launch, as they've shown with DAOC which have tons of content for PVE even though it is a RVR game. Post launch also, they are going to introduce "Adventure" zones to further offer more PVE content. Go do some research yourself, the content that they are preparing sounds very substantial.

But God forbid that a MULTIPLAYER game gives you the option to co-operate with other players for specific objectives.

Perhaps they should stick to single player TES games and its multitude of brilliant quest mods or wait for TES 6.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well, nobody will ever make epic battles for cities like you have in wow. And people still wonder why is wow so popular lol. They try to copy everything but never the best things. I think TESO will be a good game but they should remove pvp restriction. Like you said it could feel like GW2 or even worst like LOTRO pvp
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Still better than being restricted to arena/battlegrounds.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

All points but the 3rd one are incorrect. Third one however, can only be a problem to those who cannot grasp the concept of virtual pixel death and over react to it.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

Anyone considered that the average TES player won't enjoy being ganked and teabagged all the time by you 'l33t' MMO PvPers while they're trying to explore.

This isn't Darkfall

And did you consider that the average TES player may not be neither a carebear who questions the basic legitemacy of PvP and does not enjoy challenges such as being ambushed by another player at a dire situtation?

This isn't Hello Kitty Online.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    I'm glade you found out early....you're not going to play the game.

Yup, wish more people would actually read a game's F.A.Q. and core features, would save a lot of heart ache in the long run.  Its like buying Darkfall and bitching because of FFA Full Loot PvP and complaining about it ad-naseum on the forums.  Then again I do not put much stock in the average gamer, especially MMO gamer since the majority of them refuse to do a modicum of research of a game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

The fact of the matter is that having specific PvP zones gives everyone a chance to do what they want.

People who like to do PvE content can play without getting ganked.

People who like PvP can go do PvP with other people who actually want to do PvP rather than ganking people who don't feel like doing it.

By making the game completely open-world PvP you take away the PvE player's ability to choose not to participate and therefore drive them away.

Making PvP separate is the only way to set up the game that's fair to both groups.  Deal with it.

Personally I remember playing back in the day on the Kul Tiras PvP server in WoW, and the only PvP experiences I had were getting ganked while mining or doing quests.  It wasn't PvP, it was just people being asshats and killing lowbies who would subsequently give up and go log until the person was gone.  When I want PvP I want a fight, not a slaughter as one person who's fighting three mobs gets dotted up by a Lock.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nan

Well said, people forget, not only is daoc in the best 3 mmos for pvp of all time (with eve and planetside)

It's also a bloody good pve game, only EQ, ac, swg, coh & wow beat it that regard.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

Tell the people at blizz that, it was in fact the removal of meaningful OW PVP that cost blizz many subs. OW PvP in Vanilla WoW was some of the best OW PvP in any game.

yep, you nailed it.  I didn't last a year in wow, and that is pretty much the main reason why.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Nan

Well said, people forget, not only is daoc in the best 3 mmos for pvp of all time (with eve and planetside)

It's also a bloody good pve game, only EQ, ac, swg, coh & wow beat it that regard.

EQ2 and Vanguard beat DAOC for PVE, thought I would help you with that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

Anyone considered that the average TES player won't enjoy being ganked and teabagged all the time by you 'l33t' MMO PvPers while they're trying to explore.

This isn't Darkfall

And did you consider that the average TES player may not be neither a carebear who questions the basic legitemacy of PvP and does not enjoy challenges such as being ambushed by another player at a dire situtation?

This isn't Hello Kitty Online.

And neither is it a hardcore pvp game with heavy loss of xp or items.

so let's not pretend we are all "bad ass" with cute little quips in a RvR game that is aimed at getting as many players as possible.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo