Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new pics

RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Pics from Official Facebook FFXIV page.

Comments

• LerunesLerunes Member Posts: 4
    new map yaye
  • tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Thanks! Game looks as great as ever; the wait is starting to become too much!
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    While the world looks pretty well rendered. The character model sucks. 
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Are we looking at the same thing?

Yes obviously it's my opinion. 

I wish games would go back to fighting one strong ass monster at a time where evasion and accuracy play a big role in combat. 

Combat can be exciting if there is a risk involved no matter the system used. When one "hero" can pull 5-6 monsters and wipe them out with a few abilities, it realy diminishes the excitment of combat.

tldr; FFXI combat system please.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by tats27

I wish games would go back to fighting one strong ass monster at a time where evasion and accuracy play a big role in combat. 

Combat can be exciting if there is a risk involved no matter the system used. When one "hero" can pull 5-6 monsters and wipe them out with a few abilities, it realy diminishes the excitment of combat.

Evasion and accuracy were just stats. You didn't actually have to do anything to be accurate or evasive which makes it pointless aside from itemisation concerns. 

I played FFXI from NA launch to the end of ToAU. I loved that game, and have extremely fond memories of it, but I can't honestly say that the combat was ever something that was very compelling. I wouldn't want to see it in an MMO again. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by tats27

Evasion and accuracy were just stats. You didn't actually have to do anything to be accurate or evasive which makes it pointless aside from itemisation concerns. 

I played FFXI from NA launch to the end of ToAU. I loved that game, and have extremely fond memories of it, but I can't honestly say that the combat was ever something that was very compelling. I wouldn't want to see it in an MMO again. 

That was the thing back in the days!! nowadays its all about jumping/dodging around. games like Tera, Gw2 to name 2. But then you can just stand still and tank things like a boss.

i rather i actually have to dodge than a let a percentage number determine the fate of my character in a fight. In GW2 dodging realy made a difference because I took down several bosses that werent meant to be soloed thanks to dodging, if i didnt and let him just them just hit me i would have gone down in a few seconds.  Back in the day they had to use the roll dice system because of the tech.  now they are just starting to actually put more twitch combat because the tech is much more advanced...but most games they dont implament it properly and GW2 imo is so far the best implamentation of that type of combat in the mmorpg genre. The twitch combat system has far to improve upon as devs only just started implamenting it in their games.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Final Fantasy's characters models look amazing

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I like how it says DUMMY content finder. You should get to know the world and its inhabitants, not get an arrow pointing the way! Thats for dummies!

Kidding. Everything looks great. Looking forward to running around the newly opened areas in a few weeks.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Those screenshots look simply amazing.  Ul'dah from the background seems to look even better in the distance than it did in 1.0... though it may just be the lighting and the night time effects to accentuate it's features.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Keitaro333Keitaro333 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by tkreep

Back in the day they had to use the roll dice system because of the tech.  now they are just starting to actually put more twitch combat because the tech is much more advanced...

Non-action combat systems were used because of tech, at first. But when the tech became available, many still choose not to use them simply because they dont like them. Both have their pros and cons, both have people that prefer them.

Real time combat (as opposed to turn-based) in strategy games or RPGs has been possible for a long time but that doesnt mean everyone wants it and every game is better with it. Similarly with dice/stat-based vs action combat. Most great singleplayer RPGs are largely dice/stat-based.

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56
    to the guy who thinks the character models suck, u obviously havnt played the beta. my personal opinion, there higher texture models then any mmo iv played before, however even after the engine change its still pretty demanding to run, nether the less theyve done a great job, now they just need a free 14 day or sumthing trial when it gets here.
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

3 new

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Keitaro333

Back in the day they had to use the roll dice system because of the tech.  now they are just starting to actually put more twitch combat because the tech is much more advanced...

Non-action combat systems were used because of tech, at first. But when the tech became available, many still choose not to use them simply because they dont like them. Both have their pros and cons, both have people that prefer them.

Real time combat (as opposed to turn-based) in strategy games or RPGs has been possible for a long time but that doesnt mean everyone wants it and every game is better with it. Similarly with dice/stat-based vs action combat. Most great singleplayer RPGs are largely dice/stat-based.

most great single player rpgs are actually hybrids now like mass effect, elder scrolls, kingdom hearts, deus ex human revolution...

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Keitaro333

most great single player rpgs are actually hybrids now like mass effect, elder scrolls, kingdom hearts, deus ex human revolution...

All games that seem to be getting shorter and shorter each year with less depth than some old school SNES rpg's that demanded more gameplay.

Not saying the combat isn't more engaging, but it's interesting how people ignore the correlation between the fact that the content can be ran through games like DMC, Mass effect, kingdom hearts in 1-2 days.

Dice rollers while diminishing interactiveness of combat seem to excel in other design areas that have kept players coming back for years.

I myself prefer action combat, however the opportunity costs are sometimes too high when it is executed poorly, which seems to be the case often in the past.

Originally posted by spadge3k00
    to the guy who thinks the character models suck, u obviously havnt played the beta. my personal opinion, there higher texture models then any mmo iv played before, however even after the engine change its still pretty demanding to run, nether the less theyve done a great job, now they just need a free 14 day or sumthing trial when it gets here.

I didn't say the character MODELS suck I said the character MODEL sucks. I don't care of the kiddie anime. Now don't get me wrong i like some anime just not the little kiddie style stuff that was in the first set of pics. And like I said its just my opinion.

so is this another theme park on rails MMO? Or a find your own adventure kind of MMO.  Like Vanguard, or EQ1.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

and more:

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by spadge3k00

I didn't say the character MODELS suck I said the character MODEL sucks. I don't care of the kiddie anime. Now don't get me wrong i like some anime just not the little kiddie style stuff that was in the first set of pics. And like I said its just my opinion.

so is this another theme park on rails MMO? Or a find your own adventure kind of MMO.  Like Vanguard, or EQ1.

So you don't like the tarus? Or whatever they call them in this game. It didn't really come off that way in your first post it sounded like you didn't like the characters models in general not something about the tarus. I don't like tarus either but the character models in this game are simply stunning. I can't think of any game that even compares.

As far as your other question I'm assuming it's themeparkish but currently the game as it's going to be released is still under NDA. If it's anything like ffxi it won't completely conform to traditional/current MMO trends and hopefully has that final fantasy feel that I'm looking forward to.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    It's definitely a pretty game. It was pretty before, though. Is it any better of a game or different approach to creating a heap of crap like what they shoveled at us at release?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    It's definitely a pretty game. It was pretty before, though. Is it any better of a game or different approach to creating a heap of crap like what they shoveled at us at release?

I  really hope not. I haven't been able to get in on the beta so I really don't know. All I know is, this game will either continue to go down as one of the biggest failures ever or astonish all with the best come back of all time.

• Starlord12Starlord12 Member Posts: 1
    MMORPG's Hype system going wacky?