Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new healing poll

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The question is easy, how do you prefer your healing characters mechanics..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Er, tab-targeting as a healer?

I mean I tab to an enemy and assist-button to heal who they're attacking as much as the next top-tier healer, but that's not exactly the common way players are targeted...

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Depends on the party size and whether or not characters have collision detection so the dont all jumble up into one big mass of bodies.

in 8 ish man groups, i like clicking their icons on the party UI thats on my screen( you know, where all their healthbars are)

if 4 ish man groups, i wouldnt mind it being more actiony with fps type healing.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Depends - do you want people to be able to click wrong and heal the raid monster of doom?

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I much prefer tab targeting heals. I was a whm in ffxi for years and we hit f1-f6 to select the person than used are macros to heal. Thats the way i like it. Tried GW2 healing and definitly NO THANKS, hated just curing whoever was in a front line of me.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I can't answer that question, because I cant decide which I like better. I've tried all three, and each one has its advantages and disadvantages.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Aiming on a target to heal can be frusterating but there is some pride to be had if you are really skilled at this. It is good when you don't need to constantly be healing and a soft lock-on to targets is nice to have.

Select to heal can be fun as a main healer with various types of heals or with only few heals mixed with attacks or other abilities.

The first is better for faster paced combat and the other for slower

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Can you change the "Aiming" example to TERA? Neverwinter is a horrible example of how to do Aiming healing and they barely even have any targeted heals to aim anyway - biased poll with that example.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Er, tab-targeting as a healer?

I mean I tab to an enemy and assist-button to heal who they're attacking as much as the next top-tier healer, but that's not exactly the common way players are targeted...

The tab target refers to games that use tab target combat as opposed to games like TERA that have free targeting and make you manually aim.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Liked the style GW1 had. GW2 is closest to it on the poll. I much prefer tactical healing as opposed to the traditional whack-a-mole.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

There is one big caveat in this poll. Do the people who are actually replying to this thread play or enjoy playing a healer? I am sure a large number of people who DON"T play as a healer (aka the dps facerollzz crowd) will of course say that they prefer GW2 becaues they don't have to rely on healers and they can do what they do best - mash buttons to pew pew.

I haven't tried option 2 but it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Option 3 - GW2's system is horrible and that's an understatement. In GW2 there isn't really a healer role. It's a paradise for the dps crowd as that's all there is in GW2.

The whole tab targeting phrase is becoming too common! In traditional games like WoW when exactly do you use TAB to heal someone? You usually either click the target or have a button assigned to the party member. No tab targetting at all. But yeah WoW/EQ's way of doing the healer class is the only fun thing for me. As I said, GW2 doesn't have anything for people who enjoy playing healers, the other one I have never played.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Liked the style GW1 had. GW2 is closest to it on the poll. I much prefer tactical healing as opposed to the traditional whack-a-mole.

I am just going to quote this for future references.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by fivoroth

There is one big caveat in this poll. Do the people who are actually replying to this thread play or enjoy playing a healer? I am sure a large number of people who DON"T play as a healer (aka the dps facerollzz crowd) will of course say that they prefer GW2 becaues they don't have to rely on healers and they can do what they do best - mash buttons to pew pew.

I haven't tried option 2 but it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Option 3 - GW2's system is horrible and that's an understatement. In GW2 there isn't really a healer role. It's a paradise for the dps crowd as that's all there is in GW2.

The whole tab targeting phrase is becoming too common! In traditional games like WoW when exactly do you use TAB to heal someone? You usually either click the target or have a button assigned to the party member. No tab targetting at all. But yeah WoW/EQ's way of doing the healer class is the only fun thing for me. As I said, GW2 doesn't have anything for people who enjoy playing healers, the other one I have never played.

Just because you played a healer in EQ, WoW or any other game with traditional healers, doesn't make you an authority on what is a good healer. The traditional healer is notoriously unpopular, yet it is nearly always mandatory. This had to change.

• NavacNavac Member Posts: 37
    WoW has tab targetting and some "cone" effects and AoE.  I think a balance of the two is nice though I prefer tab targetting to apply heals/shields/buffs to players as the main source of healing.  Not a fan of GW2 healing, it's just not really that fun for me personally.  That and the fact that there isn't a dedicated healing class....  
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    The problem with FPS healing is that if yopu dont have less than 200 ping it can be quite difficult, being an australian player i get 180 ping west coast and 280 ping east cost of US and 340 ping or so in euro servers, so unless there gonna make a ocianic server it will be a little challenging. That being said i still play Darkfall dispite being at a disadvantage of the ping because its engaging.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Can you change the "Aiming" example to TERA? Neverwinter is a horrible example of how to do Aiming healing and they barely even have any targeted heals to aim anyway - biased poll with that example.

Sorry there, i havent played Tera except for in open beta... And you are right, currently  Neverwinter only has one targeted heal.  But as its just an example you could replace it by  Tera of the healing cones in AoC.  

Maybe you can enlighten me as to explain how Tera differs that much from Neverwinter or AoC.

Sadly you can not change the content of a poll.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

You could probably bind tab to a heal skill, and bind target nearest target to your mouse.

That being pointed out, playing wack-a-mole was a joke in terms of difficulty, it was only compounded when mods like Clique were released. After 2006 healing became a one button function.

That being said, Guild Wars's monk had the most demanding healing role out of any game I've ever played. After Rits and Gons were released everything became much much easier. Aoe Spam heals for days.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

You could probably bind tab to a heal skill, and bind target nearest target to your mouse.

That being pointed out, playing wack-a-mole was a joke in terms of difficulty, it was only compounded when mods like Clique were released. After 2006 healing became a one button function.

That being said, Guild Wars's monk had the most demanding healing role out of any game I've ever played. After Rits and Gons were released everything became much much easier. Aoe Spam heals for days.

To be honest, this can be said for dps-ing too. Healing in GW1 was cool but ultra stressful. It was very fast paced and energy management was always an issue unlike in MMOs where you seem to have infinite supply of mana. What made it even worse, that there were tons of mesmer mobs who would drain you dry.

Just because you played a healer in EQ, WoW or any other game with traditional healers, doesn't make you an authority on what is a good healer. The traditional healer is notoriously unpopular, yet it is nearly always mandatory. This had to change.

I never said that was the case (highlighted bit). I am just saying that it is understandable that people who don't like playing healers will want them gone from MMOs so that they have to look for a healer. Actually I am pretty sure that dps players are quite happy that tanks are gone too as they can now have parties consisting of 5 dps. The traditional healer is notoriously unpopular? Well, of course, most people want to pew pew. 

@all those saying that healing is a whack-mole job, really? And dpsing is not? All you do when you play as a dps class in MMOs is tab target and mash your buttons and faceroll your keyboard while looking at those super important damage meter numbers.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

I never said that was the case (highlighted bit). I am just saying that it is understandable that people who don't like playing healers will want them gone from MMOs so that they have to look for a healer. Actually I am pretty sure that dps players are quite happy that tanks are gone too as they can now have parties consisting of 5 dps. The traditional healer is notoriously unpopular? Well, of course, most people want to pew pew. 

@all those saying that healing is a whack-mole job, really? And dpsing is not? All you do when you play as a dps class in MMOs is tab target and mash your buttons and faceroll your keyboard while looking at those super important damage meter numbers.

Your logic is backwards. People don't play healers, not because they don't like playing healers, but because playing a healer is not fun. You get me? If playing a healer is fun, no one would have issues with playing a healer.

Playing a traditional healer is a whack-a-mole job more than any other role. You stare more at health bars/party window than the actual game and the abilities are often quite monotonous and uninspired. Most people don't find that appealing.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Vanguard and WAR got it right with defensive target/offesive target . Dual targeting made healing much better. ToT is ok as well but still preferred dual targeting.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I like Tera's healing which is the same a Neverwinter I presume, it keeps you on your toes and is more active obviously. Second is GW2 where you look after yourself mainly but keep an eye on your compatriots. Last and distant last is tradition trinity healing, it is a just a yawn fest for me.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Sorry there, i havent played Tera except for in open beta... And you are right, currently  Neverwinter only has one targeted heal.  But as its just an example you could replace it by  Tera of the healing cones in AoC.  

Maybe you can enlighten me as to explain how Tera differs that much from Neverwinter or AoC.

Sadly you can not change the content of a poll.

Tera's healing is a combination of dropping healing orbs for players to pick up at will and aiming at the specific target and firing off a healing spell, you can put down healing circles that players can move into and be healed a sort of AOE heal. But because the fights are active and everyone is on the move especially the mobs you have to keep an eye on the players themselves and keep up with them to apply healing.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

GW1's Monk is my favorite healer class, so I guess it's number 1. I don't agree it's similar to GW2, because Monk's healing isn't minimalistic and it sure is a healer class.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I don't remember any mmo of the recent past where healing had any major role. Why do you beat a dead horse ? Everyone is a jack-of-all-trades now. Mostly dps with a litte support and self  heals and minor group heals. Goes along with real grouping which also died somehow during the last years.

Your logic is backwards. People don't play healers, not because they don't like playing healers, but because playing a healer is not fun.You get me? If playing a healer is fun, no one would have issues with playing a healer.

Your logic is flawed. Fun is a very subjective thing. What is fun for me might not be fun for you. You can't say that something is fun for everyone. A lot of people find healers fun and that's why most of them were complaining when new games like GW2 decided to remove the role altogether. Of course, there is a lot of people who don't find healers fun. But the same thing can be said for dps classes. I personally find dps-ing in dungeons/raids super boring. Why? Because I have been dpsing while leveling up. Healing/tanking in dungeons gives you more variety as opposed to dpsing while leveling and dpsing when running dungeons

Playing a traditional healer is a whack-a-mole job more than any other role. You stare more at health bars/party window than the actual game and the abilities are often quite monotonous and uninspired. Most people don't find that appealing.

When I was playing WoW back in the day, as a healer you had to have situational awareness and you had to look at what was happening around you quite a lot. True as you are also keep an eye out on health bars it can be very tricky. But you know what was super suprising to me. That A LOT of dps classes had much worse situational awareness compared to healers even though their job is much simpler and doesn't involve constant monitoring of everyone's healthbars.

In some games you can macro your entire dps rotation to 1 button. What more can I say? Healing can be quite challenging at times which is something I never experienced as a dps class. I never actually felt challenged when dpsing in dungeons/raids. Although quite a lot of the times healing falls on one of the following two extremes which is not particularly good game design imo- a) complete easy mode snooze fest or b) manic desperate spam to keep everyone alive. 

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Definitely tab-target healing.

That's not meaning I tab-target to heal (you can click, F1-F6 etc.), but that I like the way healing is done in tab-target games. I find those are the games with a lot of options as to how I do my healing: Target select and heal, AOE heals and protective spells, cast-on-target shields, buffs, Heal-Over-Time spells, etc...

What I like is having to make a lot of hard decisions while healing. Sometimes you make a really close call and go "Ooops, I think I did the wrong thing there", and the encounter begins to make you pay for that mistake slowly, you can't get on top of the damage being done and try to hold on with tooth and nail. I just love that! :)

As for aim-to-heal; I don't care for "aiming right" when healing; to me that's not what's fun about healing. And that kind of gameplay usually comes with less options on how you do your healing, so that's another downside.