Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Defiance: Can Fun Overcome Mediocrity?

124»

Comments

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by theniffrig

Got it on Xbox & tried out the first few minutes so far. I'm a PC gamer for sure & I really struggle with aiming with a control pad in console games. Having said that, it isnt too bad as it auto aims when your pointing close enough to an enemy.

Hearing good things about the show, but I don't have Syfy so i'll have to try find it online.

[mod edit]

Also to the reviews pvp bunny hopping comment. Bill you have either never played Quake or Unreal tournament or have and hate it. This is not a modern military shooter like COD or Battlefield this is an arcade shooter and Bunny Hopping is just a strategy, hell I bunny hop in Borderlands quite a bit whatever helps keep you alive is fine in my book long as its not cheating or glitching.

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I like the show better than the game... Thats a shame
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    A poet and did not even know it!!! Hehe
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234

I would say the review is alright, but I would have given it a bit higher.  At the end of the day, the game is fun, and that's all that really matters.  I look FORWARD to logging in and doing stuff.  I don't dread it like some other MMOs where all I have to do is raid or do dailies.  It does lack in places and could use some bug fixes, but really... it's all minor compared to actually having FUN.

My recommendation is to buy it and just enjoy shooting some bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzJnhgtNQU

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

After reading the comment's its apperent:

Defiance is a game that no one think is very good, but everyone likes.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I was in the second open beta weekend then was invited to closed alpha.

I felt like there wasn't much in this game that screamed for me to shell out $60 (and later $40 for the season passes). Maybe over time it will get better. 

I have had more fun with Firefall closed beta than this game.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97
    What About The Pay2Win Aspect Of The Cash Shop That Reddit Brought Up?

High Level EnchantMents Have An AbysmalVP. 1% Success Rate and Require $160 In Zen To Complete And Can Be Used In PVP.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

4 post launch pre reviews before we got a review, huzzah! :D

“The show on SyFy is doing well in the ratings, which gives this gamer hope that some of those revenue dollars will flow the game’s direction.”

No guranttee there, they may well decided to cut their loses.

“Then there’s the UI. It works, but it’s really obviously built from the ground up for the PS3 and Xbox users.  It’s just clunky as can be.”

This has been said about so many new MMOs in the last couple of years. I wonder how long before we talk about MMO’s been bulit from the ground up for Tablets or even smartphones? Console players may laugh now but how long before they get a taste of their own medicine?

I think we are also seeing the problems with what I will call a 'live IP'. This is not like the Matrix or Lord of the Rings, the designers for the MMO versions knew everything they had to know about the setting. Who knows where the TV's story will take the show? What if next season some of the bad alien guys turn out to be good? Is the MMO going to be able to reflect that with a few months to do a major update? I doubt it, I also doubt the TV series is going to let itself be constrained by the MMO. If the writters and producers agree the series needs a big change to maintain ratings, they will make that change. If it leaves the MMO high and dry until it can catch up, thats tough.

There is a big bonus to a MMO teaming up with a TV show, but there are negatives which seem to have been overlooked in the gaming press.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    The game can be fun but the PvP balance is the worst shit I've ever seen. If you want a game where everyone runs around cloaked with 2 shotting shotguns then maybe you'll enjoy the PvP, otherwise run away.
  • KillbaneKillbane Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I would say this is a good assessment of the game. I think its partially to do with the fact its not really aimed toward the hardcore player base its for the casual players and SyFy fans that watch the show. I mean if you think about it there isn't anything that is super time consuming in the game. It's pretty much zero wait time for co-op. The social aspect well its an MMO you play them to play with other people don't you?

It's never going to be a hardcore game there are no progression raid clans there isn't really much to progress. There is no hardcore PvP heck right now its go stealth or go home it wasnt really a focus during developement. The PvP is fun and the overall game is fun that's why people log into it. Plus it has a TV show that's pretty damn good to go with it lol.

Solo play is for off-line players.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

a 6.6  really ?

I think you're being overly generous, or easy to please and amuse.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

On a 1-10 scale wouldn't 6.6 be above average as in not exactly mediocre, just saying :P 

While I agree with the review for the most part, this should be interesting. Wonder who some of the posters will be on this one lol

Well they couldn't be too harsh no reviewing company ever gives too low a mark for fear that the game companies will become enraged and cut off future access to said games and betas.

But it's true, mediocre would equal a 5.

I don't think its ready for $50 price tag honestly.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I was not going to pay the full price for this but after watching the TV series i really wanted to try the game out again.. anyway managed to find it for £20..

As in beta I think the game is very average nothing stands out really, yes its a shooter but everything about the game other than that has been one before. even the shooting mechanics are not that good.. it basically amounts to shooting as much as you can until your shield starts to beep.. hide until it comes back up then continue shooting.

Missions are all just go here kill that or collect those.

Arkfalls are just a bunch of people killing bugs by a random stone thing.. in the tv series an ark fall is part of a ship falling out of orbit not a rock.. but maybe i have not got to that part of the lore yet..

So the combat is pretty boring, missions are pretty boring, arkfalls are just rifts.. I have not needed to group up with anyone, infact i have not even interacted with another player in any way.

Saying all that I still dont mind playing now and then to run some missions. The main reason is that i am taking my time and reading each mission and learning new bits about the lore of the world as I go along and I like that as a start to recognize things in the TV series and vice versa..

Still there is no way in hell i would have paid full price for this lol.

• VadenVaden Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Well if you need a little "more", Star Trek Online has gone free-to-play and it fills in all those xtra fluff areas. Semi-Player Housing, AH, krafting, Ships/Space Travel, Intense Ground Kombat, etc... plus you build ur own squad/team... the game is very social which is a key point some make. And the Fleet system(Guild to others) is actually part of the "end-game" system and has a "need" to be in one. It levels up, grants you unqiue very rare items, etc.... Good luck all u Shooter/Sci-Fi Fans.

Games I've Played: SilkRoad, Flyff, NeoCron, PlanetSide, Rapplez, UpshiftRacer, Drift City, TB, Kwonho, ArchLord, AoA, Exteel, WolfTeam, Shaiyan, WoKF, FFXIV, STO, KoTR, ESO, Defiance, Mabinogi

Games I'm Playing: Warframe/STO

Games I'm Pondering: The Secret World

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186
    One thing that really stands out to me is that no matter how many craptons of peeps are on an Arkfall, there is absolutely no stutter or lag, at all. Nicely done :D