Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's SPvP vs. WoW's BG's

2»

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Warjin

Why is this post even still going?

Because not everyone is as biased as you :D

Gw2's pvp blows WoW pvp out the water by like a mile, WoW's pvp is and has been a joke, you can not have good pvp in a mmo when the pvp is balanced around rock, paper, Gw2 balances around class vs class meaning all classes can do well vs another making team balance better, WoW's is all about who has the most CC and healers, WoW is a pve game, pvp in WoW is a after thought anyone who say different is a joke.

GW2's pvp is a joke too. It's a spamfest with no resource management or any kind of management for that matter. GW2 is also a PvE game with sPvP as an afterthought. There are few people playing sPvP in gw2 compared to pve and wvwvw and the content patches are mostly pve focused.

To put in in another way, a 3k rated WoW player would get stomped in Gw2's pvp by a average Gw2  player.

To put it in yet another way, a top GW2 player will get stomped in WoW's arenas by average players. Do you know how silly this sentence sounds? You can't "transfer" skill from one game to another like this. 

Also Gw2's BG layouts are balanced unlike WoW,

Because they are all the same. All maps are super small, claustrophobic and have the same objectives.

also no faction has the upper edge in Gw2 because all sides can play all races, WoW is Horde favored overall and human favored due to every man for himself,

What? Horde favoured? This is very server specific. When I was playing In my battlegroup Alliance destroyed the Horde. I never actually played Human. But then again that might have to do that my class could only be a night elf :D Anyways don't think humans were that OP or anything. Race was never a big factor in WoW.

WoW got kick out of MLG because of how much it's a joke to any real competives pvper, Gw2 on the otherhand can with ease become a vaild esport no problem, just needs a few tweaks.

WoW was in MLG? I didn't know that but that is IMPRESSIVE! I doubt GW2 will ever become an esport let alone be part of MLG. I don't consider WoW an esport either.  I mean how do you even see GW2 being an esport when you have games like League of Legends and Starcraft 2. I don't know how GW2 compares to LoL but I know that the game is a child's play compared to Starcraft 2. GW2 takes almost 0 skill to navigate and control is easy. In SC2 everything requires a lot of skill. That's what an esport is all about. So no, GW2 and WoW aren't and won't become esports in my opinion.

You can not, I repeat "CAN NOT" have competive pvp when crowd control last more then a few seconds and only a 2 min CC break, lol, Gw2 on the ontherhand gives all classes fast CC breaks and also low CC timers, this gives players time to react, making CC spam meaningless in Gw2, WoW it's all about who has the fastest ping time to get off there CC first and who has the most healing lol.

Yeaaah right. GW2 is a spamfest all right. Long cooldowns are there for a reason. So that you can actually manage them. In GW2 you just pop them as soon as they are off cooldown. I personally think that neither game takes a lot of skill to play.

Safe to say you don't play GW2.

Resource management: Skill Cool Down and Endurance. Dodging being the primary mode of damage mitigation, endurance is just as important if not more so.

One objective for all maps? Custom arenas change that. Maps small and have the same objective? Please play Spirit Watch the same way you play Battle for Kylho

Roflmao at popping skills immediately off of cooldown. Unless you are running around open-world PvE, you're either gonna get carried or get wasted. Please use all your CCs at once without a care so I can pop a stun breaker, stun lock, and end you.

Oh, with spectator mode, leaderboards, custom arenas, and constant balancing, I'm pretty sure GW2 is moving in the right direction.

I can show warrior, bunker mesmer, bunker ranger, and other builds, but I'm sure you have access to google.

Nice necro on thread, btw.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Am I the only one who finds this game incredibly unbalanced in PvP?

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

The game is balanced FOR PvP, which makes certain classes in PvE (rangers especially)  a bit underpowered.

In sPvP, rangers are quite good though. The only classes I can't really find a place for in sPvP are the necromancer and engineer. The warrior, which is amazing in PvE, is just mediocre in PvP.

I am working on an axe/shield + GS build for my PvP warrior, but the game almost requires a ranged wep in PvP

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by Vorch

The game is balanced FOR PvP, which makes certain classes in PvE (rangers especially)  a bit underpowered.

In sPvP, rangers are quite good though. The only classes I can't really find a place for in sPvP are the necromancer and engineer. The warrior, which is amazing in PvE, is just mediocre in PvP.

I am working on an axe/shield + GS build for my PvP warrior, but the game almost requires a ranged wep in PvP

Well I am a PvP player...

But when I see my Guardian getting one shotted by a Thief, and I am wearing plate... I think there's a little unbalance in play.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Unless you're a warrior, the classes are a lot closer in power to one another than most people want to admit. Who wins comes mostly down to build, player skill, and timing / environmental awareness.

This is one of the few games where pretty much every class gets cried about somewhat evenly. Thieves & Mesmers do get it more than the rest, though, but a lot of that comes down to people not really understanding how those classes work (and as such extrapolating their weaknesses).

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Biggest issue with GW2 spvp is the maps, 3 point control is the worst type of competitive map and that the only type they are willing to make. Playing defensive defending two points will always be the best way to play. Thus every game will ultimately end up following the same pattern.

Anet wants to get esports going with GW2 but they are lucky to get regular players let alone have people bother to watch. The game would work great as a TDM style format, both from a player and viewer stand point but as it stands unless you enjoy laming it out for as long as possible then GW2 aint your game.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Yes you are ...

But when I see my Guardian getting one shotted by a Thief, and I am wearing plate... I think there's a little unbalance in play.

See a thief go into stealth:

Wait 2 seconds. Greatsword 5 (pulls from 600 range...regardless of stealth)>4>2.

DON'T see thief that attacks with backstab from stealth:

Stun Breaker + Renewing Focus (3 sec invulnerability). In those 3 secs, pop F1, F2, F3. At the end of renewing focus, they will recharge.

Then Greatsword 5>4>2.

If you don't use GS in PvP, try Hammer #5. Thieves can't get in. Or just lemme know what wep set you use.

Only engineers should REALLY have trouble with thieves as they have low armor AND lack of CC. Necromancers actually are very good with flushing out thieves from stealth (one of the few things they are good for in sPvP XD)

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i m not a big fan of wow's pvp system, but i dont find many things to like in gw2 pvp either. if it comes to pick one it will be wow
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi

Biggest issue with GW2 spvp is the maps, 3 point control is the worst type of competitive map and that the only type they are willing to make. Playing defensive defending two points will always be the best way to play. Thus every game will ultimately end up following the same pattern.

Anet wants to get esports going with GW2 but they are lucky to get regular players let alone have people bother to watch. The game would work great as a TDM style format, both from a player and viewer stand point but as it stands unless you enjoy laming it out for as long as possible then GW2 aint your game.

I agree and disagree.

There is a place for 3 point control, but I don't think it's very fun to watch since people are all over the map. You could be missing some good fights.

However, TDM is not the way to go, either. It's definitely fun, but can get unbalanced REALLY quickly (burst and bunkers only).

What I really like about custom arenas is the introduction of King of the Hill. It takes the best from capture points AND TDM. Your team must control ONE point on the map for points, but you must fight the other team at or around that point.

GvG and capture the flag (good start with spirit watch) would also be welcome additions.

I hope they see what is most popular in Custom Arenas and then make a few more official modes based on the results. (so far it's been dueling XD)

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I"ve never been one shotted by anyone

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

However, TDM is not the way to go, either. It's definitely fun, but can get unbalanced REALLY quickly (burst and bunkers only).

Well the game would need some tweaking but most of the potential issues (extremely high burst etc) are just side effects of the 3 point focus. You can't slow down the TTKs when every second is essentially points, they are forced to overcompensate to stop defensive play being even more dominate than it already is.

A Bo3 TDM format would have worked well I think, doesnt really favor any particular style due to the limited healing and downed system.

Originally posted by Bad.dog

I"ve never been one shotted by anyone

I have tried many times, when playing 1v1 with a thief etc.

He nukes me so hard and I allmost never kill them....

This game really needs some end game.

PvP is also pretty dead in EU. Not many are playing anymore. When I watch the server browser, theres only 3 or 4 battlegrounds full, rest lacks alot of players.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Yeah, this game was another "flash in the pan" game. It has no chance of becoming an esport. Like someone else said... they are too late. They had their chance. Fixing it after the fact never helps much as there are too many options out there now and people have moved on. Rarely do they come back. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

I'll admit it, I enjoy quick serve, instanced PvP in MMO's.   The quick matches and variety of objectives have kept me entertained in WoW for many years.

So I decided to invest some time into GW2's SPvP system over the weekend.  I had briefly tried it during launch but it didn't really do it for me.

I have to say, I'm enjoying playing my Necro in SPVP and I like the smaller environments which force players to engage each other but it seems like there is absolutely no variety in objectives.  

I played about 35 matches over the weekend across most maps but every one was pretty much the same, conquest with three capture points.  

I thought there had to be something I was missing so I went to GW2's wiki site to investigate and it turns out that every single SPVP map has three capture points with some varied secondary mechanics.   Out of all the matches I was in, I never saw anyone do any secondary mechanics so I'm guessing that they don't help much in terms of points. 

All of that being said, are there plans to expand the SPVP component of GW2 or was this simply a bit of side progression thrown in to help round out the offering?

In my opinion, WoW seems to be way ahead with their BG's in terms of the variety of gameplay and objectives. 

I was the exact same way, from the necro to about 50 matches. I didn't Spvp anymore after that. 

The thing that bothered me the most was all that cool gear I exchanged tokens for and "crafted" could only be seen inside that little Spvp lobby. Even in the matches the color of the gear changed to all red, or all blue. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

See a thief go into stealth:

Wait 2 seconds. Greatsword 5 (pulls from 600 range...regardless of stealth)>4>2.

DON'T see thief that attacks with backstab from stealth:

Stun Breaker + Renewing Focus (3 sec invulnerability). In those 3 secs, pop F1, F2, F3. At the end of renewing focus, they will recharge.

Then Greatsword 5>4>2.

If you don't use GS in PvP, try Hammer #5. Thieves can't get in. Or just lemme know what wep set you use.

Only engineers should REALLY have trouble with thieves as they have low armor AND lack of CC. Necromancers actually are very good with flushing out thieves from stealth (one of the few things they are good for in sPvP XD)

Uhm... engineers are one of the hardest classes to kill in the game, and have THE MOST amount of CC of any class. Immobilize spam, knockbacks, knockdowns, pulls, stuns.

Engineers shouldn't have trouble against thiefs at all really, especially given the amount of conditions / AoE engineers can get.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Gw2's pvp blows WoW pvp out the water by like a mile, WoW's pvp is and has been a joke, you can not have good pvp in a mmo when the pvp is balanced around rock, paper, Gw2 balances around class vs class meaning all classes can do well vs another making team balance better, WoW's is all about who has the most CC and healers, WoW is a pve game, pvp in WoW is a after thought anyone who say different is a joke.

GW2's pvp is a joke too. It's a spamfest with no resource management or any kind of management for that matter. GW2 is also a PvE game with sPvP as an afterthought. There are few people playing sPvP in gw2 compared to pve and wvwvw and the content patches are mostly pve focused.

To put in in another way, a 3k rated WoW player would get stomped in Gw2's pvp by a average Gw2  player.

To put it in yet another way, a top GW2 player will get stomped in WoW's arenas by average players. Do you know how silly this sentence sounds? You can't "transfer" skill from one game to another like this. 

Because they are all the same. All maps are super small, claustrophobic and have the same objectives.

also no faction has the upper edge in Gw2 because all sides can play all races, WoW is Horde favored overall and human favored due to every man for himself,

What? Horde favoured? This is very server specific. When I was playing In my battlegroup Alliance destroyed the Horde. I never actually played Human. But then again that might have to do that my class could only be a night elf :D Anyways don't think humans were that OP or anything. Race was never a big factor in WoW.

WoW got kick out of MLG because of how much it's a joke to any real competives pvper, Gw2 on the otherhand can with ease become a vaild esport no problem, just needs a few tweaks.

WoW was in MLG? I didn't know that but that is IMPRESSIVE! I doubt GW2 will ever become an esport let alone be part of MLG. I don't consider WoW an esport either.  I mean how do you even see GW2 being an esport when you have games like League of Legends and Starcraft 2. I don't know how GW2 compares to LoL but I know that the game is a child's play compared to Starcraft 2. GW2 takes almost 0 skill to navigate and control is easy. In SC2 everything requires a lot of skill. That's what an esport is all about. So no, GW2 and WoW aren't and won't become esports in my opinion.

You can not, I repeat "CAN NOT" have competive pvp when crowd control last more then a few seconds and only a 2 min CC break, lol, Gw2 on the ontherhand gives all classes fast CC breaks and also low CC timers, this gives players time to react, making CC spam meaningless in Gw2, WoW it's all about who has the fastest ping time to get off there CC first and who has the most healing lol.

Yeaaah right. GW2 is a spamfest all right. Long cooldowns are there for a reason. So that you can actually manage them. In GW2 you just pop them as soon as they are off cooldown. I personally think that neither game takes a lot of skill to play.

WoW was im MLG when arena first started back around season 1-2, only lasted a season because it was not balanced.

Also I played WoW from 2004-2011 gained rating of 2800 and 2200 before the arena rating change back in (season 1-2), I can tall you from exp WoW has nothing on Gw2's ,with Gw2's PvP once you understand how spvp works, conditions, boons, CC ect it's game over for WoW's PvP, anyone that knows anything about Bg style pvp will know Gw2 is flat out better in terms of  real balance.

Also many so called WoW arena players tryed Gw2 when it first came out and many failed and went back to WoW, most of your fav youtube high ranked heros could not hack it, in turn Gw2's sPvP became a place were the top skilled pvpers from many games flocked due to how they balanced the game, it's almost like a FPS/RTS in terms of balance, also Anet will not let a class stay overpowered for long, DD-ele just got  nerfed, blizzard keeps overpowered classes in play for years, hell we still see frost mages and resto healing OP after 6 years, Blizzards pvp is an after thought, WoW is all about PvE and  they do it well, better then Gw2 but as PvP Gw2 does it wayyyyyyy better then WoW's mess of a game they call PvP.

As for Alli having the edge from this I can tell you havnt played WoW for more then a few years maybe 3, because anyone who has played WoW for as long as I have knows Horde had and still has the edge in PvP due to racials overall, Alli has everyman that's it, horde has far more that will effect team play as a whole when combined and in turn effects win/lose ratios, also everyman is 3 years old before that Alli had jack shit lol, Horde has been the favored faction and has effected PvP balance for many years, do your WoW history homework and you will know this to be true.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I've never seen a Guardian getting one shotted in SPvP.  Only glass cannons can blow up other glass cannons and usually those specs have been nerfed right after they get popular.  The only exception I think is warrior's hundred blade because well...warriors are kind of terrible. 

Yeah thieves were retardedly overpowered for a short amount of time with their backstab mug combo or whatever it was.  Yeah Mesmers were retardedly overpowered when their Shatter combos were out of control.  But for the most part, that stuff was tweaked and toned down.

However, I would never say GW2 was a balanced game when I played.  I think perfect balance is impossible to achieve in these types of mmos anyways.  I WILL say that GW2 suffers a lot more problems with its gameplay then WoW does but WoW has been polished over 8 years and has a lot of resources and amazing developer support.  Say what you will about Blizz but their devs are speaking to their community weekly (if not daily) and trying to appease them with balance.

Even now, Blizz are making major changes to pvp - they are getting rid of resilience and replacing it with a full emphasis on pvp power.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103

WoW was im MLG when arena first started back around season 1-2, only lasted a season because it was not balanced.

Also I played WoW from 2004-2011 gained rating of 2800 and 2200 before the arena rating change back in (season 1-2), I can tall you from exp WoW has nothing on Gw2's ,with Gw2's PvP once you understand how spvp works, conditions, boons, CC ect it's game over for WoW's PvP, anyone that knows anything about Bg style pvp will know Gw2 is flat out better in terms of  real balance.

Also many so called WoW arena players tryed Gw2 when it first came out and many failed and went back to WoW, most of your fav youtube high ranked heros could not hack it, in turn Gw2's sPvP became a place were the top skilled pvpers from many games flocked due to how they balanced the game, it's almost like a FPS/RTS in terms of balance, also Anet will not let a class stay overpowered for long, DD-ele just got  nerfed, blizzard keeps overpowered classes in play for years, hell we still see frost mages and resto healing OP after 6 years, Blizzards pvp is an after thought, WoW is all about PvE and  they do it well, better then Gw2 but as PvP Gw2 does it wayyyyyyy better then WoW's mess of a game they call PvP.

As for Alli having the edge from this I can tell you havnt played WoW for more then a few years maybe 3, because anyone who has played WoW for as long as I have knows Horde had and still has the edge in PvP due to racials overall, Alli has everyman that's it, horde has far more that will effect team play as a whole when combined and in turn effects win/lose ratios, also everyman is 3 years old before that Alli had jack shit lol, Horde has been the favored faction and has effected PvP balance for many years, do your WoW history homework and you will know this to be true.

D/D els(bunkers) haven't changed a single bit besides mist form becoming useless and a little less moblie. Also what they did to eles was pretty much crush niche builds that aren't as effective as an ele.

-From an Elementalist.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

and then they left..... true story......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

and then they left..... true story......

Sorry, I don't get your comment. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Yesterday I met another "super pro theif" who killed me with few hits. Yet I manage to kill him every now and then, still, not entertaining. This need change we all know that.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I've never seen a Guardian getting one shotted in SPvP.  Only glass cannons can blow up other glass cannons and usually those specs have been nerfed right after they get popular.  The only exception I think is warrior's hundred blade because well...warriors are kind of terrible. 

Yeah thieves were retardedly overpowered for a short amount of time with their backstab mug combo or whatever it was.  Yeah Mesmers were retardedly overpowered when their Shatter combos were out of control.  But for the most part, that stuff was tweaked and toned down.

However, I would never say GW2 was a balanced game when I played.  I think perfect balance is impossible to achieve in these types of mmos anyways.  I WILL say that GW2 suffers a lot more problems with its gameplay then WoW does but WoW has been polished over 8 years and has a lot of resources and amazing developer support.  Say what you will about Blizz but their devs are speaking to their community weekly (if not daily) and trying to appease them with balance.

Even now, Blizz are making major changes to pvp - they are getting rid of resilience and replacing it with a full emphasis on pvp power.

Balance in GW2 is miles better than WoW. It's not even comparable, WoW is an unbalanced mess in PVP. 

I could balance the game better, the devs of WoW are amateurs when it comes to game balance in PVP because they are PVE focused.

Please, don't spout utter rubbish.

Even at the height of their power D/D elementalists and shatter mesmers were nowhere near as catastrophically unbalanced as the classes in WoW have been since season 5 arena, and still are.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

1.  WoW was an esport covered by mlg/esl/wsvg/cgs from season 1 til at least season 8.  (And blizzard still runs their own regionals and world championships up through season 13)

2.  No one in season 1 or 2 was even remotely close to 2800... this is another blatant lie by you.  Rank 1s were 2300-2500...

3.  The fact that you have blatantly lied about your WoW experience, and WoW's run as an esport... obviously speaks to the fact that you don't actually know anything about competitive WoW arena.... So all of your comparisons and claims are bogus.  Show me which WoW pros went to gw2 and played it competitively, and failed?  Every top wow pro streams now, their videos are archived, so go ahead and get me footage of them playing GW2 and failing. 

4.  As someone who legitimately got to 2800 (in season 6, you know, when people were actually hitting such ratings) and someone who dominated SPvP in gw2, I can tell you right now, GW2 has a much lower skill cap.  You won't accept that, because you are worse than amy's bakery on kitchen nightmares... but that's just the reality of it. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I wanna know what you are smoking to make such bold-faced lies about your wow experience... do a little research before lying. 

Also, why would anyone compare spvp to bgs, compare spvp to arenas.