Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Aaaaaaannnnnnnddddd there goes the starwars francise. *sigh*

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Humm, I really liked Battlefield 3. The new FB engine could really make this work. 

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Yes, DICE haven't produced anything good... Or anything that sold... They're crap and have no idea what they're doing, right?  

If they make Battlefront 3 it'll be awesome.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    great another IP they r going to fuck up

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

This news is no surprise in my opinion, EA has the money to produce triple A Star Wars games and i am fairly certain, although not entirely, that we will see good SW games in the future.

Good news as far as i am concerned.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Starwars Battlefront please.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I feel like I have been touched in a private place by someone in a Mickey Mouse costume, and not in a good way.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
     " There will be weeping , and gnashing of teeth in SW fandom , EA controls the future of SW games"  So it is written, so it will be. Probably the best thing to happen to the franchise. The only other company of handling this was Blizzard.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Does this mean that other companies cannot license a Star Wars game?

YEP

Electronic Arts will be the exclusive provider of games based on the Star Wars series, Disney and the game developer announced jointly today.

Here is annoucement.

Quote:

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories. (not sure what that means - online game categorie - MMO????)

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Terrible news.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

So every star wars game will be saddled with Origin,multiplayer tacked on for a bullet point and microtransactions,or at least 2 out of the 3.

Good to know.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Oh well......bye bye star wars games. Sad story, was hoping for SWG 2.0 but thats not gonna happen. I'll stick to pre-EA SW made games even the old arcade games of star wars and SWGEMU. Disney really screwed alot of SW gamers.

Best bet is to look at other sci-fi title games.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Meh... Star Wars has been dead to rights since... Knights of the Old Republic 2... and that's being kind to it. EA can have the IP, it might keep their grubby mitts off other game developers and their IPs while they choke trying to make a decent Star Wars game (which in almost every genre you can think of is impossible due to all fans having at least one game to say it was perfect looking back on it with nostalgia goggles).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    i hope this means 1313 will be finished...
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Not really melodramactic considering the horrid job they did with SW:TOR. They didn't even add a space aspect to it and it's freaking Star Wars! You're a bit blind though when it comes to SW:TOR I've noticed.

Smile

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

That's an interesting theory, but not one anyone is likey to take seriously given your post history. 

What I stated is what happened with City of Heroes. NC Soft decided to shut it down so they could focus on other games like Wildstar

If EA did not get the rights to this, then SWTOR would probably be more safe, as they would just be focussed on SWTOR 100%, and as Disney easily gave them the rights, then SWTOR would have been safe any how. Now it is up to EA whether they get rid of SWTOR or not, and if they want Bioware to make other SW games, then the devs will be spread out thin, so even if SWTOR stays active then content for SWTOR will slow down even more.

So you think that they're going to start working on another Star Wars MMO and as a result EA will pull the plug on SWTOR? Not likely. They still have years of money to milk out of SWTOR. 

Hardly. SWTOR is dead by the end of the year unless they have an ace up the sleeve. SWTOR has no major stuff to look forward to currently

They now have plenty to deal with, from this SW deal to keep them more than occupied. EA do not just deal in MMOs, and if it just single player games that Bioware deal in from here on out, and no SW MMO, then so be it

As well as the COH example, there is LA pulling the licence on SWG for SWTOR, and then Disney shutting down LA after buying all things Lucas. Basically SWTOR is not safe yet - companies do major realignments when taking on new projects

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Not the news I wanted to hear, oh well SW is a dead franchise in computer gaming now. 
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Hopefully BioWare can do a better single-player Star Wars game than they did an MMO at this point. This sounds like nothing but bad news to me right now.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Muke

Jeez! Rebellion, eh? Pretty old school. Try Empire at War. It's actually a pretty decent SW RTS. :)

I checked it out, but nowhere in the shops anymore, and many shady links ^^ were riddled with viruses, totally missed out on that game, didn't know it even existed.

just buy it from steam (that link). It's $20.00.

or you can try buying it from amazon uk (has amazon come to the netherlands yet?) and buy it from one of the smaller sellers. I get stuff from Amazon UK all the time by just buying from the individual sellers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Empire-Gold-Pack/dp/B000VWX4Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367887106&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+empire+at+war

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gwarfgwarf Member UncommonPosts: 11

I almost never post, just lurk.

This is terrible news.

I would say this would be like giving all future Star Wars movies to Michal Bay. (Yup, it's that bad)

Yup, I think that about sums up my feelings:-(

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I guess Disney and MikeB missed the memo about EA winning the worst company in the USA award they won this year. 

I believe very few SWTOR gamers, even the fanbois, can fully agree EA has done Star Wars the justice it deserves.

Obviously EA threw a bunch of money at Disney to make them forget how bad their company is.

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

"zooooossshhhh"

.......Falls on light saber 

• bonehedbonehed Member UncommonPosts: 15
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
  • dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    The evil empire owning the rights to StarWars games doesn't change much for me. I gave up on StarWars games a long time back. StarWars will always be the orginal 3 movies to me and that's the end of it.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Feeding off the conflict between EA haters and EA lovers. My little black heart could not have asked for a better feast. I'll be smiling about this for years!

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    So long, Star Wars.  It was nice knowing you.