Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Keep in mind that this doesn't mean that EA secured an exclusive license be the only developer of Star Wars games.  And for Bioware it probably only means that they wont get the plug pulled any time soon. That at least is good news.

All die, so die well.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Still play Star Wars Rebellion and love X-wing vs TIE fighter series, but that's about it as SW games are concerned for me...all that came after it incl swg were major letdowns.

Jeez! Rebellion, eh? Pretty old school. Try Empire at War. It's actually a pretty decent SW RTS. :)

I checked it out, but nowhere in the shops anymore, and many shady links ^^ were riddled with viruses, totally missed out on that game, didn't know it even existed.

As far as I remember it's also pre drm so u could get it off ebay etc. aswell.  TBH i only thought it was OK,  very much along the lines of a standard c&c style rts but split between space and ground with space not really being any different just with stars and planets and so on in the background.  But the cinematic mode was good, pity the detail wasn't better though.

Imo the jedi knight series was a lot better.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I think the only Star Wars game I've ever played was one of the Lego ones.  That one was a lot of fun, especially when playing with someone else.

I've never been all that into Star Wars like some people are.  The movies were entertaining, but I wouldn't be a guy you bring to ComicCon or Star Wars trivia night.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Pretty good news if you are a fan of EA games. I am as I love Swtor ME DA etc.
    Swtor is doing well according to public records so I'll believe that than some random forum poster. LOL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

That's an interesting theory, but not one anyone is likey to take seriously given your post history. 

What I stated is what happened with City of Heroes. NC Soft decided to shut it down so they could focus on other games like Wildstar

If EA did not get the rights to this, then SWTOR would probably be more safe, as they would just be focussed on SWTOR 100%, and as Disney easily gave them the rights, then SWTOR would have been safe any how. Now it is up to EA whether they get rid of SWTOR or not, and if they want Bioware to make other SW games, then the devs will be spread out thin, so even if SWTOR stays active then content for SWTOR will slow down even more.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Slampig

I love the Pavlovian responses when EA is mentioned, "EA has a license for Star Wars games."

"EA?!?!...image"

Totally.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then never shutup!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Well,... this just ruined my day.

exactly the same...

Even tho I'd love to see SW games and play them but this just makes me sad.

With day 1 DLCs and extra locked contents to milk out 150 $ out of me just to experience the full story of a title is enough to keep me away from it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I cannot help but feel incredibly disapointed by this news.  I found what Bioware did with Revan and the Exile horrendous.

If TOR was any indication of the games EA will try to release, then I do not have much optimism for future Star Wars games.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    At least one happy camper here LOL. That means that SWTOR is here to stay for a long time :) Nothing could make me happier that this announcement :)

No necessarily, it could mean that they shut down SWTOR so they can focus on other SW games that actually gets them a profit

That's an interesting theory, but not one anyone is likey to take seriously given your post history. 

What I stated is what happened with City of Heroes. NC Soft decided to shut it down so they could focus on other games like Wildstar

If EA did not get the rights to this, then SWTOR would probably be more safe, as they would just be focussed on SWTOR 100%, and as Disney easily gave them the rights, then SWTOR would have been safe any how. Now it is up to EA whether they get rid of SWTOR or not, and if they want Bioware to make other SW games, then the devs will be spread out thin, so even if SWTOR stays active then content for SWTOR will slow down even more.

So you think that they're going to start working on another Star Wars MMO and as a result EA will pull the plug on SWTOR? Not likely. They still have years of money to milk out of SWTOR. 

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Question now is if BioWare's ME4 and DA3 are going to be pushed on the second bench so new SW games in SW 7 timeframe can be developed .....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Well if ruins all hope of a good MMORPG. EA has utterly destroyed every single MMO they've ever touched. (Sims, WAR, SWTOR, Earth and Beyond) and their track record with other franchises is not great.

Don't forget SimCity 2013, EA considers that an MMO.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Dear Lord, that´s the worst news for Star Wars since Jar Jar Binks. From all game companies in the world, why did it have to be BIOWARE?

Did anyone at Disney take a look at SWTOR?

Fools.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Tierless

Get voted worst company, acquire more Star Wars WTF?

It's almost as if the whole "worst company" thing was completely and utterly meaningless.

Whodathunkit?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Well if ruins all hope of a good MMORPG. EA has utterly destroyed every single MMO they've ever touched. (Sims, WAR, SWTOR, Earth and Beyond) and their track record with other franchises is not great.

Don't forget SimCity 2013, EA considers that an MMO.

Right, well, they consider SWTOR to be an MMO too. Laughable.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Acornia

As much as I love the Star Wars IP, I think this is the worst thing Dinsey could of done in giving EA to make games for the IP.

Based on past history that EA has in making games and SWTOR, I do not think that I will be buying any Star Wars games they make over the next few years.

This is interesting seeing that EA isnt making SWTOR BioWare/Mythic is EA is the Publisher and Hosts the Serveers. As for the worst thing Disney could have done well that would be having Sony make a Star Wars game or did you forget how Sony screwed up Star Wars Galaxies.

They own them. Kind of like NCSoft owns ArenaNet.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

How about Sony Online Entertainment?

The guys who did, what´s it called.. Star Wars Galaxies? Planetside 2? Working on EQ Next, the "biggest sandbox MMO ever made" in their own Forgelight Engine?

Well Disney, good call, better give it to the themepark/cartel coin/WoW copy/railshooter BioEAware guys and their laggy cartoon graphics engine.

*nerdrage*

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    This is very grim news indeed. I guess we can forget about any good SW games for the next decade or so.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by DocBrody

How about Sony Online Entertainment?

The guys who did, what´s it called.. Star Wars Galaxies? Planetside 2? Working on EQ Next, the "biggest sandbox MMO ever made" in their own Forgelight Engine?

Well Disney, good call, better give it to the themepark/cartel coin/WoW copy/railshooter BioEAware guys and their laggy cartoon graphics engine.

*nerdrage*

Why would SOE want to even touch SW genre? They got burned badly on SWG.

Besides they stated that they are going away from licences as they have their own games like EQ.

Nope, sorry but EA is the only logic choice, like it or not.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

I love the Pavlovian responses when EA is mentioned, "EA has a license for Star Wars games."

"EA?!?!...image"

You know, you get a Pavlovian reaction because you have had the same thing happen over and over and over and over again.   So there is that truth to it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

"EA?!?!...image"

Yeah, Pavlovian in that, the bell rings (EA announces a good game), I get fed (A crappy game comes out), which causes me to salivate (I get pissed off, the natural reaction to a bad game).   So that eventually when the bell rings (EA announces a good game) I immediately start salivating (getting pissed off) without having to be fed (seeing the shitty game) because I have been conditioned.   Therefore, I conclude either A)right you are if you are suggesting we have been conditioned by EA to have these reponses, but I was not sure if you were being sarcastic and rather B) suggesting we are idiots for feeling this way because it is the trendy feeling to have.   If the later is correct, you used a pavlovian reference in a "interesting" manner.   If the former is correct, great spot chap!  As I worked it out metophrically it really became a grand observation on your part! 

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Tierless
    First Michael Bay gets TMNT, now EA gets more Star Wars. My childhood, it can't sleep at night.

The sucky part of growing up:  Realizing your childhood memories and what made it so fond, are being sold for millions to the highest bidder.

My father also experiences this with every comic book hero he grew up with being sold to highest bidder, luckily 1 turned out great (ironman).   

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Yamota
    This is very grim news indeed. I guess we can forget about any good SW games for the next decade or so.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Must research more ... but my initial reaction isn't good at all.

Get ready for incomplete at launch games that demand online lobbies to play and f2p nickel and dime options as is the course for all mega-developer games now :(

You stay sassy!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Only good thing i see coming out of this is a Frostbite Powered Battlefront. Id rather have Bethesda make a SW rpg..........

EDIT And Relic/CA make an rts.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Kneejerk on 3!

Aww, who am I kidding? I'm not really all that optomistic either.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil