Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

moving on...

The MMO isn't the genre anyone wanted it to become, playing the games that defined it back in the late 90's. It's a cash cropand an innovator of the increasingly consumer oriented F2P model. A platform for strategic business developments. It's, in a spiritual sense, a dead genre. The developer teams behind any interesting ideas and projects are shells of what they used to be, and most of the brains involved have moved on to offline gaming. 

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by doomspectre

The MMO isn't the genre anyone wanted it to become, playing the games that defined it back in the late 90's. It's a cash cropand an innovator of the increasingly consumer oriented F2P model. A platform for strategic business developments. It's, in a spiritual sense, a dead genre. The developer teams behind any interesting ideas and projects are shells of what they used to be, and most of the brains involved have moved on to offline gaming. 

You don't speak for everyone.

It is much better for me now, then before. "Consumer oriented" is a good thing for the consumer.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    I hear ya, thankfully upcoming CRPG's look pretty good this year. If you've skipped out on SP games up until now, you've got a good amount of RPG's to look into giving a go. image
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Pretty close to my feelings also.  The movement toward solo-oriented play has really just ruined the entire genre for me.  What is the point in playing an online MMORPG when you spend 99% of the time soloing?

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I wholeheartedly disagree. I enjoy more MMORPGs now than I ever did in the past,and enjoy each of them more than the games I was playing then. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Topics like this just prove what many people have been saying for years.  There are two types of mmo players.  Those that like to solo most of the time and just know that there are other people around.  And those that want to group all the time, and hate soloing.

There are a bazillion games out now that cater to camp #1.  Where's our Niche mmo that caters to camp #2?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Damn consumers...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I miss the days where you had to be social a lil bit to do anything in a mmo.

At the same time i know alot that didnt... but goodluck to whatever genre of games you go to OP.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by ragz45

Topics like this just prove what many people have been saying for years.  There are two types of mmo players.  Those that like to solo most of the time and just know that there are other people around.  And those that want to group all the time, and hate soloing.

There are a bazillion games out now that cater to camp #1.  Where's our Niche mmo that caters to camp #2?

They joined camp #1 because they got fed up with leetist jerks who required members to have dps meters and every other add on under the sun, then they brought in gear score.  Dungeons and raids stop being fun when you start having to worry about doing maths to meet a criteria.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Yeah, I'm pretty much out, just hiding out in old MMOs while watching the world go by.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

They joined camp #1 because they got fed up with leetist jerks who required members to have dps meters and every other add on under the sun.

I'd say that's more of a guild/raiding issue than the average PuG'ing player. From my experiences at least. What few group oriented games are still going have pretty polite communities, and certainly aren't judging team mates on their gear/UI/DPS output.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I like both. My first MMO (SWG) never forced me to group but also was the most social MMO I have ever played....go figure. It had the tools to allow for different playstyles.
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

They joined camp #1 because they got fed up with leetist jerks who required members to have dps meters and every other add on under the sun.

I'd say that's more of a guild/raiding issue than the average PuG'ing player. From my experiences at least. What few group oriented games are still going have pretty polite communities, and certainly aren't judging team mates on their gear/UI/DPS output.

Yep, this is solely a WoW occurance.  I've never seen this problem or attitude in any other game I've ever played.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I feel the same way.

MMOs aren't really made for long term any longer, at least for me.  I was pretty dissapointed with the way the genre' was going to begin with, but i optimistically tried TOR, with its overy hyped "story" that i thought was mostly mediocre at best, and their claim of having "some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world" (or some such). Well that didn't turn out so well.

I'm currently (sort of) playing GW2 with its mostly meaningless WvW, and bland SPvP. I log in occasionally, give nothing to the cash shop, mainly because the game just feels like another "lobby" MMO. Go here for PvE, queue here for WvW, queue here for SPvP, this armor is different for this, thats good for that, but don't forget these for the other thing, bleh.

The social interaction of these games (MMOs) is minimal in my opinion.  I'm not talking exclusively grouping for the next piece of gear either.

I want an online "world" again.

After seeing Jacobs "principles" and his general out look on the way he wants his game, I decided to back CU. If it doesn't work out, I think i may consider myself done as well. I definetly considered it already, but CU sort of came out of no where, so, my last shot perhaps.

I haven't watched this much TV since AOLs NwN, as i feel like i have the last year. An exxgeration perhaps, but i am doing a lot less MMOing. And its not "rose-colored glasses, its lack of excitement, and "fun", different for everyone, i know.

I typically don't rant, but i'm pretty saddened by the state of things.  i really hope developers will start making these games for the people with specific "tastes" in thier game, and not just the masses. Trying to please everyone seems to be working in limitation no doubt, but can niche' games be profitable as well? I would like to think so.  And not just a PvP niche', but other aspects as well.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by dumpcat
    I like both. My first MMO (SWG) never forced me to group but also was the most social MMO I have ever played....go figure. It had the tools to allow for different playstyles.

This.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't mind solo with other people around.  In fact, I solo quite a bit, when GF and I aren't grouped up.

I'm just looking for open world exploration based PVE.  I don't want quest hub hopping doing meaningless tasks for NPCs or riding on rails doing long chain story-lines with storyboard cut-scenes.

I want to play MY character, not some character a developer designed for me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I miss the days when you could be unique in MMO's and server reputation was an important thing.  I remember fearing a guy named infinity on Catskills in UO.  He was a fearless bandit, he once fought off myself and 4 friends and he would sometimes camp the mountain pass out of Brittania.  Everyone knew him and the forums were filled with respectful posts about his skills.  In SWG there were several awesome weaponsmiths who could make weapons with extra damage and people sought them out and made appointments with them on the forums.

Now we all have the same powers, we all look the same unless you buy an outfit or mount from the cash shop and there is little reason for me to ever care about your toon in the game. 

I'm not moving on just yet as I see some hope on the horizon.  With so many once great studios selling out to big business and then big business making crappy games I see a new wave of small studios trying to emerge and bring back the uniqueness of our characters.  I have hope things will get better as people see the current business models are not working.   

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

The MMO isn't the genre anyone wanted it to become, playing the games that defined it back in the late 90's. It's a cash cropand an innovator of the increasingly consumer oriented F2P model. A platform for strategic business developments. 

Businesses are making games to take your money?  I can not accept that.    

If that is the case, (and I do mean IF), then I wish it could go back to the late 90's as well, when companies didn't want to make money off of their product.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

The MMO isn't the genre anyone wanted it to become, playing the games that defined it back in the late 90's. It's a cash cropand an innovator of the increasingly consumer oriented F2P model. A platform for strategic business developments. 

Businesses are making games to take your money?  I can not accept that.    

If that is the case, (and I do mean IF), then I wish it could go back to the late 90's as well, when companies didn't want to make money off of their product.

They always wanted to make money, but i personally think some are just trying waay to hard now.  And falling on their face while reaching for that golden ring.

/shrug

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    The OP accurately represents how many people feel about the genre, abused. Sure its a generalization, and there are always exceptions, but we can all recognize that the genre has been scamming us with poor quality and cheap money grabs for a generation...

The genre fuels more disappointment than satisfaction.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I have had a few dozen friends stop playing MMOs because of what they have become today.  Its possible they may come back when EQNext comes out or Titan.  If them 2 games do not change the MMO landscape then I am done too because they have become too solo friendly or lobby based games.  I also think that the Themepark is a little over done right now.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by danwest58
    I have had a few dozen friends stop playing MMOs because of what they have become today.  Its possible they may come back when EQNext comes out or Titan. 

Why would the next MMO, made by the people who are responsible for what MMOs have become today (WoW) and have never made a single innovative product in their entire company run, bring any hope to this genre?

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

my entire MMO clan has broken apart release by release, let down by let down due to the generalization and assimilation of the mmo genre into the mainstream. Now we have co-op instance games passing by as "mmos" hiding under a f2p model ready to abuse the very enriched few.

Lots of blame to go around. From players, to devs, to even gaming sites such as this one so hard up for content they will throw the mmo label on just about anything.

Darkfall is the only mmo recently i can think of that even REMOTELY plays like a classic mmo (ie open world, loot system, spawn camps, dungeons, sandbox)

I am joining the rest of the people waiting for EQ NEXT as the last hope. For now I am enjoying Defiance and Darkfall until I get bored again.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Pretty close to my feelings also.  The movement toward solo-oriented play has really just ruined the entire genre for me.  What is the point in playing an online MMORPG when you spend 99% of the time soloing?

This and the sense that there is no world or community. Look at GW2. I really wanted to like that game, but between the soft grouping mechanics and the fact that I never needed to interact with anyone made the whole gameplay experience feel bleh!

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by dumpcat

But it did force you to socialize. Crafters were dependent on each other and combat characters for components. You could learn skill from other players. You needed buffs and healing from doctors and dancers. The inter-reliance system made for an awesome community.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Most all are crap now,,,,I agree !