Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Marvel Heroes: Delving Into Open Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gazillion Entertainment invited players into an open beta event for Marvel Heroes this past weekend. We took the opportunity to take our super heroes out for a run and have a few thoughts to share. Read on and then let us know about your experiences with Marvel Heroes in the comments.

I entered the game as Black Widow with absolutely zero options for customization. That will come later in the form of costumes. Still, after playing Neverwinter for the last week or so, a game that has an amazing amount of customization, it was disappointing. It would have been nice to have been able to choose some small way to set your character apart but it is not to be. So, on finishing the tutorial, I joined hundreds of my mirror images and thousands of Iron Men, Hulks, Captain Americas, Spider Men and more. I actually found it kind of distracting. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's and Suzie Ford's Marvel Heroes: Delving Into Open Beta.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

It's just funny to read that they try the old diablo approach, but then fail misserably in the way that you actually feel more superhuman in Diablo III (for example) then in this game with "actual" superheroes lol.

It's strange... as the fun in action rpg's like Diablo (III) that trash mobs are just that... trash... so you practically one shot them into oblivion. Perfect for Action Hero stuff and make you feel heroic. No matter what level you are.

The actual challenge in action rpg's comes from either the sheer number of trash mobs thrown at you or from (mini) bosses that take a bit longer to kill.

So I am actually completely stunned how they managed to fail so badly on this critical part, reading your report.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    That's something I forgot to mention too.  Mobs take way too long to kill in the opening areas.  Bosses should take a while, elites should take a few hits too, but certainly not trash mobs.  Thugs on the street shouldn't take 3-5 punches from Hulk to put down.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I totally agree @JeroKane: Trash mobs should be at MOST 1-2 hits to take down. I certainly didn't feel very heroic most of the time. :(

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have played a couple of Beta weekends myself. I really enjoyed the game for what it was and did not go into it with any expectations.

Overall I think the game will be enjoyable for some ARPG fun with friends. Will I sink 100s or 1000s of hours into it? Not sure, but I will hop on with 2-3 buddies and kill several hours at a stretch a few days a week.

For a game like this I personally am just looking for a fun time with friends, if it can offer that then thats all I really need. A good time killer with buddies.

• NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52
    This game is SAD. Diablo III smash it.
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

For me this game was a no-starter.

Playing pre-determined characters and not my own.

Top down style gameplay.-Diablo style, lobby instance, of course

..but both of these points totally do not feel contemporary MMO-y enough for me.

this game belongs on a console, imho.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm sorry, but this game completely destroys Diablo III in every aspect.

It is upsetting that one cannot achieve a new look via gear, e.g., capes, cloaks, weapons, etc. However, it's ultimately no different than every Barbarian wearing the same Immortal King set or latest tier armor. Everyone, other than scrap noobs, look alike in Diablo 3, too.

As for 3-4 punching mobs, it ultimately depends on how you play. Single-Target attacking in the lower levels is certainly redundant. However, almost every class gets some type of lunging AoE early in the game. For instance, as Spider-Man, I would gather loads and loads of mobs together (as many that could fit on the screen). I would circle around them as if I was a herding dog...only then to swing through em' with my flying AoE. XP was flying and gear was dropping.

I played before Open Beta. When I played, most people were given most of the costumes. Because of this, I rarely ran into a similar costumed player.

What ultimately makes me play is the fact that guilds and PvP will be in at launch - unlike Diablo III and Path of Exile.

PvP is my personal driving hammer as to whether or not I play a game.

Diablo 3 was a terrible game and it should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as PoE or MH. That game and company is a complete waste of time anymore.

• BlazeIVBlazeIV Member Posts: 12

I'm going to have to agree with the negative posts already made here.  I played in a Beta weekend and was severly disappointed with the look and feel of the game.  Even accepting it for what it is, it still just doesn't add up properly for me.  Seeing 16+ different but identical Iron Men running around was disconcerting to say the least.

I took Scarlet Witch as my starter, and as the guy playing as Spiderman postd above me said, once you get beyond your first two starting abilities you can really start laying down the hate.  I would herd the trash mobs up, as many as I could get, drop my AoE immobilize ability followed by my AoE DoT burn patch, death and carnage ensues.  Nothing survives more than 1-2 ticks, the elite mobs may require a 2nd burn application.  So needless to say, the power of the characters is there, but it still just doesn't feel right wither way.

It really, to me, feels like they just took Ultiamte Alliance and made it multiplayer.  Except in the fact where you can have more than one of a single character running around.  As one poster previously said, it does not meet the standards I would put forth as a contemporary MMO in today's standards.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627

I tend to agree with most comments offered thus far above. I've been in closed beta for awhile and I'll play this a little each week mostly to advance the story and see the motion comics (being a Marvel/DC comic book fan)... it definitely won't become my "MMO" of choice as Neverwinter currently is.

It's a hybrid MMO/ARPG and won't satisfy the "MMO enthusiast" completely.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Perhaps they can limit the amount of each character per instance, e.g., if 20 is the max per instance, there can only be 1-2 Iron Mans per instance....until it's not possible.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I had the same problem as both Suzie and Bill: For a superhero MMO I in no way felt like a superhero. That and I really hated the fact that it was done in Diablo style, but that obviously isn't ever going to be changed. I am just hoping that Marvel plans for a more epic MMO than this in the future because I got bored of this game after playing it for just a half an hour. That's not really a great sign if a game can't even keep you interested for more than thirty minutes but I'm sure a lot more players were hooked for longer.

My other problem was also the fact that there were several other superheroes of the same kind running around making it very hard for immersion of any kind. That and navigation in the games, to put it simply, sucks. They don't show you where to go at all and you could be lost for an hour killing trash mobs that only serve to make you feel like even less of a hero, while you're trying to find the destination you need to get to. I just found the layout of the game pretty poorly designed and found aareas to be very bland too.

Smile

• MyHolm505MyHolm505 Member Posts: 3
    this review is bad. D3 was complete garbage we all know it. The game is fine challenging in later acts. A review from 1 weekend should not be allowed to be posted. It's a joke . I for one would like to be facing difficult mobs. 1 shotting them gets boring and of a game is not hard you lose interest fast. The fact that people are defending a game with what could be the worst map algorithms a action rpg game has ever seen. I do however notice that marvel hero's AI does act up against mobs. And it does create for odd fights. I have posted exactly what it is and submitted bugs on it countless times. But just like most games these days money + deadline = they don't give a fuck. Which is sad because odd fights leads to a flop. But what do we know? We are just games getting strong armed .
    This was an obvious review just for being a review. If you agree with this writer over 1 open weekend .... WHO rolled captain America (and then complains about a move he has had in EVERY marvel game) you are ignorant. You should NOT be able to 1 shot a mob . because the game would be to easy and not feel rewarding. And the fact that some one is even using d3 in comparison is bananas. D3 was a terrible game with non existent algorithm. I will agree that ai is not right and needs to be fixed . Some one needs to be proof reading a review before ours it's on the front page. No data or facts about the game just some ones uneducated action RPG opinions. ...... Really? I'm in shock lol
  • SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    I completed the entire content but pvp in this last weekend. The background is awesome. The areas are awesome. The mobs are awesome. Ths bosses too. But, the difficulty must be increased drastically yet. The only combats that have been challenging have been Doctor Doom's and Pyro's or something like that in Stryker's room. And by the way, you shouldn't camp sentinels. sentinels should camp you. xD They should have focused more on big mobs in open ares like the Sentinels. Killing Electro is soooo disappointing. Fifteen heroes during 5 minutes to kill Electro? LMAO. Wolverine kills Doctor Doom using the cosmic cube... LMAO? Wolverine destroys Magnato's ass without any help or potions? LMAO?
    Super is right. If anything difficulty needs to be increased. The game had potential.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by MyHolm505
    This was an obvious review just for being a review. If you agree with this writer over 1 open weekend .... WHO rolled captain America (and then complains about a move he has had in EVERY marvel game) you are ignorant. You should NOT be able to 1 shot a mob . because the game would be to easy and not feel rewarding. And the fact that some one is even using d3 in comparison is bananas. D3 was a terrible game with non existent algorithm. I will agree that ai is not right and needs to be fixed . Some one needs to be proof reading a review before ours it's on the front page. No data or facts about the game just some ones uneducated action RPG opinions. ...... Really? I'm in shock lol

Welcome to the site. This was not a review, it was an impression of a beta event. Stick around here long enought and you'll get the hang of things.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

The review is pretty good. I am in closed beta so I've played the game a fair amount.  Although to be fair I don't play it much anymore.

Just to point out, as far as costume drops go.  First its a rare drop so its not going to happen all the time. Second, you have a lot of heroes, so getting a costume for your hero is not a sure thing.

If you aren't spending money, you pick from the starting heroes and good luck getting the costume you want. I'm not saying its right or wrong (they have to make money somehow), but don't think (as ftp) you will get the hero/costume you want without a lot of luck or grinding.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

It's actually amazing how on the MO forums that the "few" people that have brought up the idea of character customization are "rabidly" attacked by the majority of "fanbois".

They say "well we want to play our heroes not some nobody character!".  Yet (and MY major problem with the game) as many have said... 5 freaking Spiderman's is just silly.

I actually found myself having alot more fun than I though I would as I usually don't like ARPG's, but damn, multiple "same" characters is distracting.  What I 've been doing is trying to think of each character as a different "class".  But then that kinda kills the whole emmersion too.  Plus it a game that kinda has to be played in "spurts".  It gets a little boring a while doing the same thing; well, probably not for ARPG players.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

It is fun in short burst and if you want a updated/sidegraded Marvel:Ultimate alliance or just a ARPG with heroes i'd suggest giving it a try.

If you can stand playing something non hero-ish i'd much more recomend NWN.

Or DCUO... It is fairly good actually and have come a long way from it's weak start.

But yes.. M:H is a fun little ARPG that tug abit on the nostalgia string... with some added hulk smash

This have been a good conversation

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by JeroKane

It's just funny to read that they try the old diablo approach, but then fail misserably in the way that you actually feel more superhuman in Diablo III (for example) then in this game with "actual" superheroes lol.

It's strange... as the fun in action rpg's like Diablo (III) that trash mobs are just that... trash... so you practically one shot them into oblivion. Perfect for Action Hero stuff and make you feel heroic. No matter what level you are.

The actual challenge in action rpg's comes from either the sheer number of trash mobs thrown at you or from (mini) bosses that take a bit longer to kill.

So I am actually completely stunned how they managed to fail so badly on this critical part, reading your report.

D3's metagame is garbage, but the surface game of actually just killing monsters is so amazing/satisfying that it pretty much ruined all other ARPG's for me. Okay well not really, marvel heroes is allright, but the animation feedback sorta stinks

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    this review is bad. D3 was complete garbage we all know it. The game is fine challenging in later acts. A review from 1 weekend should not be allowed to be posted. It's a joke . I for one would like to be facing difficult mobs. 1 shotting them gets boring and of a game is not hard you lose interest fast. The fact that people are defending a game with what could be the worst map algorithms a action rpg game has ever seen. I do however notice that marvel hero's AI does act up against mobs. And it does create for odd fights. I have posted exactly what it is and submitted bugs on it countless times. But just like most games these days money + deadline = they don't give a fuck. Which is sad because odd fights leads to a flop. But what do we know? We are just games getting strong armed .

This is not a review. This is an impressions piece based on early experiences in the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and Torchlight 2 are all far, far better choices than this game. Also the upcoming Grim Dawn & Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing look to be better as well.

This game fails the fun factor big time. I never felt like a superhero at all. Come on, the Hulk is affected by a chain bola thrown by a regular mook? REALLY?! He's beaten literal GODS into submission for goodness' sake! A chain bola (even an adamantium one) is what he probably flosses his teeth with!

Ugh. The game had potential, but boy they've sure wasted it. I'll stick with PoE (love the leagues & skill tree) or Diablo 3 (best combat, hands down. And a good loot hunt if you ignore the AH).

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

As others have already pointed out: this was a general impressions piece based on the open beta weekend, and not a review.  Our actual review will come some time after the launch in June, and will be much more in depth.  The title of the article should have probably clued you in, too.

But anyway, welcome!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

The people saying D3 was complete garbage are wrong. D3's actual game-play was awesome. The issues people had was the itemization and the RMAH. Oh and the allways online thing...tho people will give POE a pass just because it's a F2P game.

I hope MH does well. I'm looking forward to trying it out when it is released.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This isn't just a game based on superheroes, it's also an RPG. In every RPG in the history of ever, mobs prove a challenge in the first few levels. Even the zombies in the very first Act of D3 didn't die in just a couple a hits when you first start the game.

In Marvel Heroes, by level 10 mobs will be dying in 1-2 of your aoes and by 15-20 you'll be destroying swaths of them with a flick of the finger. If you can't stick it out that long then you probably have some ulterior motive for disliking the game, because that's really not a lot to ask.

Game blows D3 out of the water far as I'm concerned, by miles. I played D3 to Hell and got bored, and that took less than a week to do. Ended up getting my money back for that trash. Marvel Heroes has kept me interested through all of the betas, across multiple heroes. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's a great game on its own even some might prefer a competitor more.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."