Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the "I hope this game fails" crowd?

When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails. Just because a certain game is not for you, what do you benefit if it fails? I personally do not care for most of the MMOs out right now, but I know allot of people enjoy them. I don't see why hoping a game someone else enjoys fails can be a benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not persecuting those who make those statements, I am just curious as to why they are made? 

Comments

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

No Youtube at work =( 

I'll check when I get home.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    When it is another crappy generic WoW clone, it's failure will herald the moving of the market away from such dross. It's success means there is still money to be made and developers will not look towards innovation.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    When it is another crappy generic WoW clone, it's failure will herald the moving of the market away from such dross. It's success means there is still money to be made and developers will not look towards innovation.

What does this even mean anymore? There has been one "WOW clone" to release in recent memory TOR, if you can even consider that a WOW clone considering the focus of the game (story and cutscenes).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I think it has to do with WoW.  Meaning that the success of WoW has stunted MMO development in that everyone is copying a lot of features and thus in essence create a WoW clone.

So when a game is released with features that goes against a persons MMO ideal mechanic then they get all defensive saying to themselves, "here we go again."

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey
    When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails.

Do you actually read the posts properly that hope a game 'fails'? Usually the folks hoping for this state their reasons.

I would guess that you actually do but just choose to ignore their points because they might not agree with your own.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Ex: Part of the reason why SWG got shut down was because of the release of SWTOR so people want revenge and want SWTOR to shut down. Same thing can be said of SWG's patch of the NGE was because of the release of WoW and the numbers of subscribers of WoW encouraged multiple MMOs to copy so people want revenge and want WoW to shut down. Its a lot about revenge and hate.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Vesavius
    When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails.

Do you actually read the posts properly that hope a game 'fails'? Usually the folks hoping for this state their reasons.

I would guess that you actually do but just choose to ignore their points because they might not agree with your own.

Great assumption, you must make allot of money as a fortune teller. 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by RefMinor

What does this even mean anymore? There has been one "WOW clone" to release in recent memory TOR, if you can even consider that a WOW clone considering the focus of the game (story and cutscenes).

SWTOR is basically WoW plus story and cutscenes minus fairies.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Robokapp

we feel the death of games we don't enjoy might shift development more in the direction we prefer.

see: preset rise of sandboxes after many themeparks including swtor failed.

Because that is the only lesson the investors would take from it.  Never could they think to put money into something else,...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

People wishing for the failure of things that do not hurt anyone physically or emotionally are sick.

I wich the best to all of you may the best win, thats gallant and knightly.   Now compare that i hope you die so i will win attitude and it tells you more then enough about those people saying so.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I see two main reasons.  

First, there are people who dislike the "direction the industry is heading."  As such, every game that contributes to the industry heading in this wrong direction is seen as a bane.  The best thing that can happen, in their mind, is for all such new games to fail, in hopes that developers will see the error of their ways and begin to make games that fall more in line with what these individuals desire.  The crux of the problem here is that this perspective is that of a niche gamer who clings to a false hope that his niche will one day (or once again, in the case of the UO/EQ/ZOMG MERIDIAN 59 crowd) become the industry's dominant subgenre.  

Second, there are people who strongly and publicly advocate for a particular game.  As a result, the ego draws a link between that game's success and the individual's success in judgment.   In turn, greater success of *competing* games may be interpreted as poor judgment on the part of the individual. This effect is enhanced if the person, in addition to publicly advocating one game, publicly denounces another.  If the individual's champion game fails compared to a competitor, the individual's ego takes a blow by proxy.  As such, such people tend to hope *other* games fail.  

I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi by any means, I just wanna say a lot  (the usage you're using) is not one word.. :) /carry on..

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

When looking through the forums I see allot of  people say "I hope X game fails". I am curious where the logic is in hoping a game fails. Just because a certain game is not for you, what do you benefit if it fails? I personally do not care for most of the MMOs out right now, but I know allot of people enjoy them. I don't see why hoping a game someone else enjoys fails can be a benefit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not persecuting those who make those statements, I am just curious as to why they are made? 

10 uber rich guys love f2p games because they can buy thier way into awesomeness. So I think alot of I hope x game fails comes from that.

Everybody has to get thier kicks from something. At the end of the day the uber rich dudes wife is still nailin the pool boy.

Any f2p fans need thier pool cleaned ? muhhahahha :-)

I'm not a grammar or spelling nazi by any means, I just wanna say a lot  (the usage you're using) is not one word.. :) /carry on..

Thank you. I knew better, bad habit.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People wishing for the failure of things that do not hurt anyone physically or emotionally are sick.

I wich the best to all of you may the best win, thats gallant and knightly.   Now compare that i hope you die so i will win attitude and it tells you more then enough about those people saying so.

is the concept of 'from death comes rebirth' too difficult to understand ?

I don't think it's hard to understand, yet I do not think it's something that will really work in this case.

Originally posted by KingofHartz

At the end of the day the uber rich dudes wife is still nailin the pool boy. Any f2p fans need thier pool cleaned ? muhhahahha :-)

I lol'd.

Thank you. I knew better, bad habit.

hehe, np, just a peeve of mine is all, no offense meant. :)

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    The people that hope games fail are the same people who hate America.
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That's NOT how people feel at all.

It's all about forcing investors & publisher "suits" to get in-touch with the playerbase again. Copying WoW has NEVER been a good idea as they have their "niche" of the market cornered.

WoW == best themepark there is.

Yet, there is no Sandbox or Sandpark parts of the market cornered. It's not that there is no interest (literally as much as WoW), but it's that no one has tried to do something truly unique so everyone NOT wanting to play WoW is spread out amognst 20,30,40 games, or have locked themselves into singleplayer only games until said game comes out.

People have been tired of WoW-cloning to make a buck ever since Warhammer. Warhammer was the baby that woke the neighbors.

Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Use the cash shop or the terrorists win? image

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

One reason is they dont agree with the way the MMO genre is headed.  The new F2P model is interesting at first but in order for the model to be profitable, new items to sell have to continue to be introduced.  Many times this effort for new items in the store takes away from adding actual game content.  Take STO, monthly episodes disappeared while new ships with powerful new modules continue to be introduced.  As far as actual game content goes, not much has been done except rehashing old content.  Take PS2, spent your cert points on a new assault rifle and have it all pimped out?  Too bad, new SMGs are introduced and in a one on one they will win since they put out rounds so fast.  Pimped out your flash?  Too bad because now the harasser is released and you need to spend more cert points.

I'm not saying that game companies cant make money.  I'm not saying the models above are totally wrong and that I dont agree with them to some extent.  I am saying the new F2P model is anything but free IF you want to remain competitive in things like PVP and personally, I prefer a standard fee each month and have access to everything rather than be nickled and dimed to death each month.  I also have noticed a reduction in content being released almost across the boards in new MMO's.  Even with a macro you couldnt hit GM fisherman in 48 hours in UO but the recent games allow you to max everything out in under 48 hours of gameplay. 

In my opinion, it seems game companies expect us to pay more for less and I hate to see the industry continue to head in that direction.   

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

A game that promotes an unhealthy shift in the gengre/industry, a game that screws over its players, these deserve to close, to encourage other devs NOT to follow their example.

SWTOR needed to die to show that themeparks with monthly fees don't work, and that anti-MMOs are not popular with the MMO crowd.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

For that argument you need to spell it "Murica"