Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Growing Up

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guild Wars 2 is a game that has made some big changes in a short while and has plans to make many more as the player base adapts and requests new features. In our latest Guild Wars 2 column, we take a look at what has changed already and offer a few thoughts about things we'd like to see in the future. Read on before heading to the comments.

Guild Wars 2 is still a very young game, yet ArenaNet has already added and changed several features.  I think we all remember at launch how the game, though still great, needed some tweaking here and there to really make the experience feel whole.  From fixing culling in WvW, to changes in daily achievements, Guild Wars 2 has come a long way since its launch last year.  Here are just a few ways things that have changed, and what still needs some work.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Growing Up.

Until guild halls are released, guilds will build tree houses to hold their weekly meetings.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Just played retribution this weekend with some guild mates. i hadnt lgged in in a few months been playing TSW, and defiance..

and i felt like i never left!!! got imgame mail alerting me of what going on Tyria!..was a friendly welcome!....I wish they released stuff like this once a month!-lol its alot of work i know, and they do a great job at their dungeons!!!-they are breath taking!! and felt like a personal story extention which i thought i had lost once these world stories began, ill admit the past month were slow preludes...SLOW -but this is a great payoff!

i didnt hit wvwv-ive been addicted to defiance -lol

props to them(Anet)- they are one of the few that know what they are doin! -thanks Anet! knocked it outta the ballpark once again!

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Until they add GvG battles like they had in GW1, this game shouldn't even be called Guild Wars. Most if not all of the fanatic GvG players from GW1 have stayed away from this game. Garbage! I can't believe this is what we waited for for 7 years.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    We have been getting lots of monthly updates.  For me some good and some not so good.  GW2 remains an amazing game in my eyes and can't wait to see what is on the horizon.  Ive also been playing Neverwinter and enjoy it, but for me GW2 is a world whereas Neverwinter just feels like an arcade/lobby game.   Different but still fun.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Until they add GvG battles like they had in GW1, this game shouldn't even be called Guild Wars. Most if not all of the fanatic GvG players from GW1 have stayed away from this game. Garbage! I can't believe this is what we waited for for 7 years.

Although the name has nothing to do with it, I do agree they need to add GvG...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I guess I just need more reward for all those things you mentioned as I just don't see anything yet in the game worth playing a high level toon for once you've completed the world map, gotten a full set of yellow gear or whatever color passes for the best and completed personal story and crafting at 100%.  I don't want a gear progression system, I don't think I do at least, but all of these additions to the game like the achievements and living story feel shallow and pointless for my high level toon.  Not sure really what they could add to GW2 to appease my desire while still keeping it's indivuality and not following the gear grind trend of other MMOs.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    +1 f for GvG! I love the game though. It would be hard going back to a whack-O-mole combat style. The world is nothing short of amazing. Traits and skills need work across all classes though. We need more build diversity like GW1 has.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I just wish that 100% world completion wasn't partly based on WvW. It's a feature that's more PvE oriented yet they decided that to be able to complete it 100% you had to join a PvP map. That seems very unfair to PvE players.

Smile

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

Veyr happy with progress and updates the last 7 months.  Since the game is free, players who were waiting for a bit of polish and new features should be able to feel completley free to log in and play a bit more.

With the fact that WvW promotes guild play (and is slowly moving a bit moreso in that direction), and the fact that you perform better in Spvp with a corrdinated group then solo (e.g., a guild), and guild missions, I would say the 'Guild' is in Guild Wars.  Even GvG exists, in a different spect than the first  (anyone watch Paradigm vs. Iron yesterday - coordinated guilds playing to win a match against another guild, that is what GvG was from the first game).

That said, I would like to see  culling removed in PvE and more options for custom servers (if we could turn off point captures, we could make our own GvG servers - legacy of foefire, 8 man teams, respawn in waves).

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I just wish that 100% world completion wasn't partly based on WvW. It's a feature that's more PvE oriented yet they decided that to be able to complete it 100% you had to join a PvP map. That seems very unfair to PvE players.

nah the first time i entered wvw i was like-holy this is a whole new game content!!!!-its HUGE!!!! so huge athat you can actually do your vistas and things to complete world achivement. just ahveto log in the right times for the area you want there a huge sense of adventure when you enter wvw..its pretty big!

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57

Endgame, hah.

Seriously though, I really really wanted to love GW2. Me and my friends had a good time leveling up, but I always felt that something was missing.

Maybe it was the collection of gear. In GW2, gear hardly matters at all, and next-to-top gear is easily attainable. To me, that was a little off-putting. Once I felt like my character was finished visually and stat-wise (which happened pretty quickly), I just didn't see any reason to play anymore.

Or maybe it was because of the chaos that was combat. The "threat" mechanic seemed way off. I was told there were no threat mechanics, yet I had aggro 90% of the time in dungeons (played Guardian, GS or scepter/shield). It didn't seem like random aggro. In the end I got tired of dying, because no matter how many defensive cooldowns I slotted in my hotbar, and blew during combat, I would still end up dying way more than anyone else. You can only dodge, bubble, and shield so many times.

Those were my 2 major bugbears with the game, which on many levels is a brilliant piece of work, but I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Lunarpac

Endgame, hah.

Seriously though, I really really wanted to love GW2. Me and my friends had a good time leveling up, but I always felt that something was missing.

Maybe it was the collection of gear. In GW2, gear hardly matters at all, and next-to-top gear is easily attainable. To me, that was a little off-putting. Once I felt like my character was finished visually and stat-wise (which happened pretty quickly), I just didn't see any reason to play anymore.

Or maybe it was because of the chaos that was combat. The "threat" mechanic seemed way off. I was told there were no threat mechanics, yet I had aggro 90% of the time in dungeons (played Guardian, GS or scepter/shield). It didn't seem like random aggro. In the end I got tired of dying, because no matter how many defensive cooldowns I slotted in my hotbar, and blew during combat, I would still end up dying way more than anyone else. You can only dodge, bubble, and shield so many times.

Those were my 2 major bugbears with the game, which on many levels is a brilliant piece of work, but I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

i feel the same about it as you , and feel like if they would of added in raiding for the pvers and some sort of actual progression this game would of been a much larger hit and continue to get bigger eventually to wows numbers. But they instead made a casual game where everyone is the exact same when you hit 80 and the only thing to do is run fractal gizillion or world vs world with no meaning at all there either unless you want useless guard and siege passives. Its to bad to , a lot of people love wow and being different in every way to wow is a great thing but a trinity based system and some actual reward for your effort in the form of carrot on a stick if you want to call it that would of made this game much much more popular IMO. Right now people get bored and log off until the next patch , just like Rifts population.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I have a simple idea that should have been in at launch... How about a freaking LFG tool. This isn't EQ1 standing in the commons yelling for a group and selling your crap. Seriously, you put in 100 different currencies corresponding to 100 different places yet no simple way to get together.

Having to depend on a 3rd party website and playing "who can /join the fastest" is just sad. Also... the added content, and this whole "Frost and Flame" for the most part, was rather shallow. The events were pretty much overly long, yet mindless timesinks. Yes, Kudos for them "trying", but let's not sing their praises to high Heaven.

All that said, once you get used to more "action-y" combat, it is hard to play other games that are more static; I have noticed that as I play (some) other games they just seem kinda blah now.

it sounds many here are comparing it to old mmo (wow,rift,) gameplay. 

I comend Anet for experimenting and bringing new antics to the mmo (fractals, puzzles). what it does lack i would say : Gear rewards -theer are many and you can get awsomeones with coins etc etc- but the chests need to miprove and have that 'carrot on a stick' to make one repeat the dungeons and hoping 'that' one special gear drops.

that i miss.

the perfect example is me. i waited for the final stage of the sotry- did the dungeon, but prob wont log back in odo it again. nothing for me to collect really. until next month to see what they bring.

i completely skipped that 8bit game thing wasnt for me. so its been a while far n few i jumped into gw2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING to do with GvG but it does with the history and lore of Tyria. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore  look here.

Originally posted by Fluxii

I have a simple idea that should have been in at launch... How about a freaking LFG tool. This isn't EQ1 standing in the commons yelling for a group and selling your crap. Seriously, you put in 100 different currencies corresponding to 100 different places yet no simple way to get together.

Having to depend on a 3rd party website and playing "who can /join the fastest" is just sad. Also... the added content, and this whole "Frost and Flame" for the most part, was rather shallow. The events were pretty much overly long, yet mindless timesinks. Yes, Kudos for them "trying", but let's not sing their praises to high Heaven.

All that said, once you get used to more "action-y" combat, it is hard to play other games that are more static; I have noticed that as I play (some) other games they just seem kinda blah now.

There is a LFG tool  in the game already - it is just not set up well.

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by botrytis

The name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING to do with GvG but it does with the history and lore of Tyria. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore  look here.

this does not justify at all the lack of the most important feature some players were expecting, without GVG this is not Guild Wars.

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

Endgame, hah.

I feel you mate. Playing on guardian or warrior doesn't give me any satisfaction like when I was playing pally or warrior in WoW. I don't feel powerful AT ALL as a guardian or warrior. I die as quick as a flippin' cloth wearing dude and I am wearing PLATE armor for goodness sake. 

Also I'd like to see a bit more variety in weapons for these two classes. Since we don't have any "talent tree" like in WoW which gives us unique abilities and skills, we need more weapons (for more skills). I understand that they don't want your interface to be full of toolbars but right now I only have the choice of 4 weapons (14+ skills?) really as a warrior...

I tried out the scholar classes (mesmer, necro, elementalists) it felt like I was using similar skills to that of a warrior/guardian just with different animations. It's hard to put it in to words but I didn't feel much different playing on either of these archetypes of classes. 

Everytime I read a post about someone praising the world of GW2, I can't help but sigh. I think the world feels very dead (except for the nice conversations some NPCs have). It just doesn't feel like a "world". To me GW2 (like GW1) feels like a "mini game". Whereas WoW and other games truly felt like a "world". IMO, the instancing between areas is rather immersion breaking. 

Still, I will keep an eye out for this game but I don't expect to play it for many months to come, till they added significantly more content to this game.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by alf2ooo

this does not justify at all the lack of the most important feature some players were expecting, without GVG this is not Guild Wars.

That completely went over your head I see...

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I had wondered about why they did that, but it makes the PvE players rely on their servers PvP players to open up access to get the map points.  It brings the PvE players into the mix for server pride, and although it's only a small amount, I think it does have it's benefits.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by alf2ooo

Actually, it is Guild Wars from the lore. It does justify the anme, maybe not in your estimation or ideals but GvG was just one small part of GW1. It is how the whole history and map of the world gets set up.

I do agree GvG is lacking but if you read the lore, the books, etc. Yoou understand why the game is called by this name.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I have a simple idea that should have been in at launch... How about a freaking LFG tool. This isn't EQ1 standing in the commons yelling for a group and selling your crap. Seriously, you put in 100 different currencies corresponding to

Yup. It really baffles me still today that there is no LFG tool!

I finally got a character beyond level 30 and was looking forward to run the first dungeon, but it's a total pain in the arse to get a group together. Eventho I see plenty of people still leveling up.

Lion's Arch is full of level 80's. So not really a place to go looking for level 30ish peeps either.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I knew there would be some that came in and tried to defend it / make excuses.

Having the ability to put "LFG" by your name is not an LFG tool, it's a joke and a slap in the face.  I could do that 10 years ago in an MMO.  People criticized games like SWTOR and TSW up one side and down the other for not having one at launch, yet give GW2 a pass as usual.  Yes, I realize you said it's "not well set up", but really?  A "tool" that no-one has ever used because it's useless, doesn't seem very much like a tool.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by 1vald2

Endgame, hah.

I feel you mate. Playing on guardian or warrior doesn't give me any satisfaction like when I was playing pally or warrior in WoW. I don't feel powerful AT ALL as a guardian or warrior. I die as quick as a flippin' cloth wearing dude and I am wearing PLATE armor for goodness sake. 

Also I'd like to see a bit more variety in weapons for these two classes. Since we don't have any "talent tree" like in WoW which gives us unique abilities and skills, we need more weapons (for more skills). I understand that they don't want your interface to be full of toolbars but right now I only have the choice of 4 weapons (14+ skills) really as a warrior...

I tried out the scholar classes (mesmer, necro, elementalists) it felt like I was using similar skills to that of a warrior/guardian just with different animations. It's hard to put it in to words but I didn't feel much different playing on either of these archetypes of classes. 

Everytime I read a post about someone praising the world of GW2, I can't help but sigh. I think the world feels very dead (except for the nice conversations some NPCs have). It just doesn't feel like a "world". To me GW2 (like GW1) feels like a "mini game". Whereas WoW and other games truly felt like a "world". IMO, the instancing between areas is rather immersion breaking. 

Still, I will keep an eye out for this game but I don't expect to play it for many months to come, till they added significantly more content to this game.

Warriors got alot of weapons to chose from and im sure guardiab got more then 4 aswell just that most seem to use gs scepter.

i undersand scepter since thats the only long range weapon thy have not sure the range on staff but it feels reallyshort

Having the ability to put "LFG" by your name is not an LFG tool, it's a joke and a slap in the face.  I could do that 10 years ago in an MMO.  People criticized games like SWTOR and TSW up one side and down the other for not having one at launch, yet give GW2 a pass as usual.  Yes, I realize you said it's "not well set up", but really?  A "tool" that no-one has ever used because it's useless, doesn't seem very much like a tool.

Well there is one, I said it wasn't done well, but people are so doggone picky on this site. You admit it isnt done well either so why are you acting like a bleeding nut case that there isn't one.

There is a difference between whining and criticism, learn the difference.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I haven't gave a GW2 a pass.  I've been vocal about the lack of a meaningful tool, among many other things.

As to this article: I really hope GW2 fuses more traditional mmo aspects with newer innovations.  It's growing up, but it's aging without direction.