Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Neverwinter: Foundry Focus: A Kidnapping in Blacklake

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Rob Lashley has started a terrific new series for MMORPG.com that is based around Neverwinter. Called Foundry Focus, Rob shines the spotlight on a specific Foundry quest each week. In this inaugural article, Rob takes a look at "A Kidnapping in Blacklake". Check it out and then tell us about your favorite Foundry quests in the comments.

On April 30th Cryptic Studios released their new Dungeons and Dragons based MMORPG Neverwinter. One of the main mechanics that separates Neverwinter from the MMORPG pack is the inclusion of Cryptic’s foundry system. By using the foundry everyone that plays Neverwinter can become a content creator for Neverwinter. Think you can do a better job than Cryptic of making fun and engaging missions for their own game? Well now you can prove it, and I believe some of you can.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Neverwinter: Foundry Focus: A Kidnapping in Blacklake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Haven't tried that one yet, but I definitely will.

Great job with this series!  Looking forward to more in the future.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Nice column I'll definitely be keeping an eye on. Always trying new FOundry quests for my dailies and such but theres sooooo many of em out there to try it's hard to choose! One I definitely recommend to everyone who hasn't tried it yet though is "Blood and Sand: Unchained" my fav so far for sure hehe.
  • ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

the guy who made "the hidden blade" and "the lamaar legacy" is awesome as well

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Yeah i like foundry feature, my favorite is hidden blade.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Awesome, not a massive fan of livestreams, but looking forward to reading more of your articles to help me pick out Foundry quests to do :)
  • DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I feel sorry for the creators.  So much effort being put into something that is, for all intents and purposes, a poorly executed game that won't last very long.  I wish more games were available for them to put their efforts into because the player made content is about the only thing worth playing in Neverwinter.  I just wish the game was better so that I would want to play it more.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Awesome, not a massive fan of livestreams, but looking forward to reading more of your articles to help me pick out Foundry quests to do :)

+1

Though I'd like livestreams, only time is a tricky thing with its zones, so I can only watch the youtube version of the plays :)

It was nicely done btw, detailed and fun to watch. I've had only one concern, that if you'll review a much story-heavier mission (investigations, roleplay, etc., in STO they call it text- or dialogue-focused missions), a playthrough will give away too many spoilers. I even planned to suggest a jump button before the first scene of the mission, so there would be only an introduction, and a jump to the end for the overall review to those who don't want spoilers.

But the column fixed that concern, it's a nice recap of the review, good basis for a player to pick Foundry missions, and after the mission is played, s/he can go and watch the video as well for details, interview with the creator, voting, etc.

Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by evilastro

+1

Though I'd like livestreams, only time is a tricky thing with its zones, so I can only watch the youtube version of the plays :)

It was nicely done btw, detailed and fun to watch. I've had only one concern, that if you'll review a much story-heavier mission (investigations, roleplay, etc., in STO they call it text- or dialogue-focused missions), a playthrough will give away too many spoilers. I even planned to suggest a jump button before the first scene of the mission, so there would be only an introduction, and a jump to the end for the overall review to those who don't want spoilers.

But the column fixed that concern, it's a nice recap of the review, good basis for a player to pick Foundry missions, and after the mission is played, s/he can go and watch the video as well for details, interview with the creator, voting, etc.

Thank you! That's a good idea about the jump button too.

• BobaFettBobaFett Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Shamorau

the guy who made "the hidden blade" and "the lamaar legacy" is awesome as well

Try also Planetscape series. I love both!

• KamielRKamielR Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Winin did a great job and he is very insightful also. You can find him on Neverwinter Foundry community on G+
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 3

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the quest! And a huge thanks for sharing it with everyone. It is easy to get lost in the deluge of quests that are coming online, so your videos are a great benefit. Great for authors to get noticed, and great for players to find the hidden gems in the Foundry.

It was very interesting to watch you play, since you went different routes than I normally do. Over the weekend, I went through and cleaned up the flow a bit (a common piece of feedback). Now there will be less running back through rooms you've already been through and less time searching for the last group to kill.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This game did not even last a week on my system.  What a travesty to do this to Neverwinter!  The editor in the original game let me do far more than this mediocre foundry system.  So technology is going backwards these days?  This game is a major backslide from past NW games.
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 3

I watched it later on YouTube, so you can still see it if you don't make the live stream (which I didn't).

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Have to say i,m having a blast with this game.the foundry missions are excellent has well as the guys who do them..total respect to those guys and girls whoever you are.died twice so far but only through my own stupidity.i,m only lvl 26 guardian fighter.only one thing though..i need to find a UK based guild because i,m not getting in many group dungeons..other than that..not spent a penny yet and i would say well done cryptic.
  • dudelydudely Member Posts: 1
    just played thru bill's tavern - in top 10 under new column. u should review it. def my faviroite - short (perfect for daily) quirky and funny.
    Originally posted by dudely
    just played thru bill's tavern - in top 10 under new column. u should review it. def my faviroite - short (perfect for daily) quirky and funny.

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!