Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Should we stop buying MMORPGs, and just wait til they go F2P?

124»

Comments

• LithuanianLithuanian vilniusPosts: 206Member Uncommon

Should every human (who does so) stop growing poodles and have parrots instead? Or should we replace pink with blue just because pink is new blue?

Incorrect question, I suppose. As one author mentioned - games are for fun, they are to entertain you. To make you feel powerfull armada Admiral crushing any unwise solar system who dares to oppose your occupa...liberation. Or mighty Hero with Hammer of Destruction sending hordes of evil back to hell. Or maybe a stalker that stabs other player and so goes on killing spree unnoticed, leaving corpses and "me was here, pwnd noobz" notes.

1) Those who subscribe keep game going alive and they (mostly) know they are spending only 15$ a month. Those who play free model are paying either with their time or by microtransactions that could be more expensive than a sub.

2) subscribers usually get some bonuses that cnanot be bought in any store, be it Mighty Steed of Slaying or Yoda's reserve Lightsaber.

3) some games (like WoW, Camelot Unchained, as far as their devs are telling) would never be free. You wanna play, you got to pay...or wait for  eternity.

Therefore, to tell "you are losing on box purchase and subs" is a logical mistake. While purchasing a box may be considered as a loss, subbing is not. By subbing, I show support to the game and I am contributing to its life. If I sub, it's thanks to me and many many others that this nice town stands, this colourfull NPC gives quest and developers can maintain a game. Where there is a loss?

Answering to OP question: no, we shouldn't wait untill games goes f2p.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways BangladeshPosts: 1,045Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Divion

However BioShock doesn't require a subscription to play, and it has a definitive conclusions.

In the world of P2P MMORPGS, if you buy a box ~ 60 bucks, and sub for a year (11 months paid, 1 month free) That is 165 bucks @ 15 dollars a month + box costs of an average 60 bucks, so 225 dollars to play the game for a year.

If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested, as a new player can spend the treshold amount, and have basiclly the same account status as you, minus the progression you made.

You are comparing apples to waffles.

It is only true for EAWARE and SWTOR. people who bought DCUO box edition/CE/DE/DDE and paid at least 6 months worth of sub was given the opportunity to claim lifetime sub within a period of time, they don't need to pay for anything anymore, not even the latest dlc; others who played only 1st month or 2/3 month and then quit were given the opportunity to pay an onetime 12 month worth of sub price or 120$ and those who took the opportunity gets everything and those who did not take the opportunity they get full access to basic game and they don't have any restrictions like f2p or premium account but they still have to buy each dlc. by the time eq2 became f2p they already had like 8 expansions and everyone who bought all the expansions got the chance to claim lifetime sub just like dcuo. 

Not every company is theiving bastard like EA and EAWARE. 

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,180Member Uncommon

i think this whole P2P vs F2P is getting way over done.

First we need some decent games to even play, then we can argue over f2p vs p2p.

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

First we need some decent games to even play, then we can argue over f2p vs p2p.

I can sympathize with the sentiment, but I think that the business model is the foundation of any game - everything about how it is designed and how it evolves is going to flow from how the game company expects to get paid and whether consumers are making equally rational decisions.

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,769Member Uncommon

"If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested"

I don't think that is true. I am a Lotro "Veteran" it went F2P a couple of years ago, I did not think I lost anything. Also if you want to wait a year until you play a game thats upto you. Most players don't. I do always suggest players wait until after launch and read real reviews, but two or three months is enough to for that.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by maplestone
    If a game converts to a cash shop, it's dead to me.

If a game converts to f2p, it becomes alife to me.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

"If on the game's launch anniversy it goes Free to Play, then you lost EVERYTHING you invested"

Not if you wait till conversion to F2P before playing. Plus, a game is about having fun, not about investment.

• nbtscannbtscan Phoenix, AZPosts: 781Member Uncommon
    I think more people should take it upon themselves to try out open betas of games and REALLY think about whether they see themselves playing that game for the long term.  If YOU don't think it'll hold your attention for more than a few months then you should have a pretty good idea of where it'll be heading.
  • DreadchainDreadchain BrnoPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

i think this whole P2P vs F2P is getting way over done.

There's a bunch of decent, or even good MMOs. The problem is all the shitty wow clones and item maller p2w games are grabbing all the attention.

Hint: Games that don't die in a few years (And don't need to change payment schemes) while keep growing consistently are usually the better ones.

124»