Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I used to pay $2 / hour to play Rolemaster Magestorm

BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
Like the title says I took it hard. This was in the mid to early 90's I could play it with my amazingly fast dial up connection. F2p is getting alot of buzz lately. Can you imagine paying $2/ hour for your current game of choice?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I used to pay $2 per hour for Kingdom of Drakkar on MPGnet. $6 per hour for GEnie.

The world has progressed far.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    AOL NWN and TSN TSOY used to cost more per hour. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I remember those days! lol I sometimes still hear this sound in my sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

You need to have your hearing checked out mate. :D

But yes I remember it well, the sound actually meant all was OK, you had a connection and were downloading.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    And we used to pump quarters in to pinball machines like no tomorrow. Pac Man at the mall or the Soda shop. People didn't think twice about spending $20 a day or more at an arcade. I think the real question is, would you do it now?
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by free2play
    And we used to pump quarters in to pinball machines like no tomorrow. Pac Man at the mall or the Soda shop. People didn't think twice about spending $20 a day or more at an arcade. I think the real question is, would you do it now?

i wouldnt. the novelty has worn off and the money just seems harder to waste nowadays.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Good old KoD the first online RPG. (probly not the first but it predates M59) Someone try to tell me it's M59 and I just go lol because that was the first 3D MMORPG. Gone are the $2 an hour days and for me gone are the days where the internet ever goes off thanks to broadband.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

No. Never. I don't care how good the game is...I will never pay to play per hour. In fact, I can't believe that some of you people actually did this.

Many people here play MMOs 5 hours per day. At $2 per hour, that is $10 per day - $300 per month. That's a car payment.

I know people are free to spend their money however they want. But I have the right to think of them as IDIOTS.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

I never understood that even back in the early 90's when games like thse were totally new concept and technological breakthrough.

Same with arcades - after dropping equivalent of 20-30$ in mid 90's on Soul Edge arcade machine when I visited arcade machine place few times - I quickly realized that that kind of charging me is really bad. 

I feel same way about microtransaction  games nowadays.  Sure I can play without those and be at disadvantage compared to paying users  or suffer inconveniences, but I don't like that kind of experience for my entertaiment.  Paying for virtual items, currencies and unlocks in cash shop on the other hand remind me of putting coins into arcade and if I would want it to my level of comfort - then it would be way too expensive - so that's out of question too.

I definately would not pay 2$ or more per hour for playing an online game either. 

Edit: In before "buy there are games that provide like  ~6-8 hours and they cost 50-60$".  Yes there are but I never bought them for that kind of price.  I was always more interested in  other typr of games - strategic, economic and RTS and RPG games.      They were providing me with much longer entertaiment so I never bought those expensive short games.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    I racked up a $200.00 phone bill one winter from logging into Prodigy every hour. Was playing Might and Magic World of Xeen and had to keep getting hints.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I used to pay .35$ for a pack of baseball cards.

Wrong discussion?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I used to pay .35$ for a pack of baseball cards.  Wrong discussion?

Nope that actualky fits this well and you would know. You see your the only one that bought something that was worth the cost. The rest of us morons bought fake stuff. :-)

Someone mentioned todays micro transactions and I feel the same way. Its still ch ed aper than $2/ hour boy was I dumb.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I am more curious about how much I am spending to play games online now per hour...I mean if I add togather subs, cost of internet, possible microtransactions and really any directly gaming relevant costs...does what I spend per month equal or surpass what I would have spent per hour back then averaged out?

I think it may be entirely possible. especially considering that my money today does not seem go as far as it used to then. And, is not as easy to earn as it used to be.

We might be thinking that $2.00 USD an hour to play an online game is a bit ridiculous by todays standards...but is it really? It may even be that the cost of playing on average has gone up. And, that the only thing that may have changed, could be when we pay and how much at once.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

No. Never. I don't care how good the game is...I will never pay to play per hour. In fact, I can't believe that some of you people actually did this.

Many people here play MMOs 5 hours per day. At $2 per hour, that is $10 per day - $300 per month. That's a car payment.

I know people are free to spend their money however they want. But I have the right to think of them as IDIOTS.

This is why ignorance is bliss. The Internet was much different back then than it is now.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by Helleri

I am more curious about how much I am spending to play games online now per hour...I mean if I add togather subs, cost of internet, possible microtransactions and really any directly gaming relevant costs...does what I spend per month equal or surpass what I would have spent per hour back then averaged out?

I think it may be entirely possible. especially considering that my money today does not seem go as far as it used to then. And, is not as easy to earn as it used to be.

We might be thinking that $2.00 USD an hour to play an online game is a bit ridiculous by todays standards...but is it really? It may even be that the cost of playing on average has gone up. And, that the only thing that may have changed, could be when we pay and how much at once.

I wondered about that too, but when I compare prices of internet in dial-up times to modern, cost of PC both in absolute values and in comparision to wages and finally cost of games.  Then it's much lower.   Unless you are subscibed to multiple games and / or spend money in multiple cash shops or just do it frequently. 

No cost it's definately much lower in my case - even when I take into account that I do play less hours now vs when I was child or  teenager.

For me there is no going back to old amounts.  Gaming is simply not as important to me as it was when I was a child / teenager so I won't spend so much money on it.  (even though money I spend in my childhoold were my parents money)

Those prices back in the early 90's for online gaming were so high because it was cutting edge thing and players were super-early adopters.  I knew people were paying 2-6$ per one hour (+all connection costs and PC costs) but even as a very young person I knew that I would personally not pay that amunt of money even if I could physically.