Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

which "free to play" game was worst scam for you?

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Squeak69

*sigh* i just want to go back to P2P so i dont have to be worried aout being scammed anymore, i just want to pay my flat rate and get everything the game has with it, so i can play theg ame and if i dont enjoy playing it i can just stop, why is that so complicated, i like life simpole i like to know where my monthly stipend for gameing money is going not poke thrtough the cash shops going so do i have enough left in this month for all the things i really want, well no,

yall want the truth i want to go back to P2P cause im a cheap person and evrytime i have to use my card online, i spend to much time thinking about it, i liked it when the transition of money between me and the devs was simpilar and easyier.

last thin and im done, if the companies where not makeing more money with tis module then they where with P2P then they would not be useing it in mass like they are currently.

There are those who would argue that being forced to pay rent to access a game you've already purchased is a scam.......

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

tested quite a few f2p mmos now, and non of them has been scam.

i usualy play em abit (FOR FREE... that means without spending money) and try to find out if i like em or not.

for example when AOC went f2p, i played close to caps, then i noticed they want money for the high end content (it stopped being fp2 there bascially), and that's when i went on.

TSW on the other hand (b2p) offers nearly 100% of the content for free. what you get is alot of cosmetical stuff, and they got some of my money here, since i play it for quite some time now - and i think it's just fgair giving some money back.

GW2 is also a nice f2p game so far, close to reaching lvl cap yet, haven't found alot of stuff that "forced" me to buy anything.

ToR was quite... shocking at first, but when i spend like 10€ extra, i could play it quite good... problem was elsewhere here.

planetside2 actually offers EVERYTHING (but visuals) for free, when you spend enough time to earn your shit ingame.

LoL, no mmo, but f2p, hence i mention it. totaly free to play. all you get for money is skins and more pages.

still paying and playing wow here. with my guild. i basically just play one of the above (basically it's only TSW, LoL or GW2 atm) when i get bored or wanna play sth else. that's what those games excell in - in being around for free. without subs. when you want em.

a few of those mmos would actually be good enough to become my maingame, but since i love my guild, i play with em... and they like WoW :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

There are another scam in F2P like put they player (with good gears) in game to fish "whales".

Or run P2P then after a year or half change it to F2P.

I ready pass some of them so i have more caution with F2P game ,

Because of that i wasn't fall in RuneOfMagic , when i saw pure stone and upgrade stone in mall , i know it will not end well.

The mall price in nearly all F2P game are ridiculous high , they don't make it so everyone can get it (with reasonable price).

Thought we can have some fun in F2P games without spend too much cash in them.

my experience in F2P games are enjoy leveling and don't touch "end game" , stay away from PvP can save you alot.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I don't think it's a scam but I was put off when I noticed that some Aion cosmetics were rented for 30 days rather than bought.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I've never been scammed by a F2P game. P2P is a different story...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    None.  I've never been scammed by a game I didn't have to pay for.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Runes of Magic was the biggest pay 2 win farce I had played. EQ2 and SWTOR both had terrible F2P models, but didnt really rip people off with an endgame lottery.

I'm sure there were a lot worse asian F2P that I never bothered with that had more P2W than RoM though.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I've not put any money into them but Atlantica Online and Runes of Magic were the most obvious money grubbing games I've tried.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kmk123kmk123 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Megaten online, the gambling/ lottery system for gear in the cash shop made me want to keep paying money over and over. I did spend quite a bit, over $200 but I stopped eventually. It wasn't a scam per se, unless you count not posting statistics for winning an item as a scam.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Not a huge scam but not enough free to play content - Pirate 101

I friggen love the system but limiting me to the noob zone is a little harsh. The only thing that stopped me playing was the price for access. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    None. I have never paid a dime in playing F2P games.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

thanks all for reply! =)

before all I need to clear up: I don't blame company for scaming me, I should be born immune to any kind of scam on-line or in real life. I guess, unfortunately, it's not a case.
    I guess it's due to my low IQ and fact that nobody tested it before I started to play...

same way I'm fully agree that if someone sold me 100% spoiled produt it's only because I'm blind and stupid.

Same way if I got aggression from anyone it's only because I should never come to same way as this criminal, should not be born woman (in case of sexual aggression) etc.

Hope we all got enough about me and we can start to discuss about f2p model again. =P

I got some useful info about games to avoid in a future, thanks to share!

Now to show how f2p can trap low IQ simple minded, like me, people, look

http://fw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=723641

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

thanks all for reply! =)

before all I need to clear up: I don't blame company for scaming me, I should be born immune to any kind of scam on-line or in real life. I guess, unfortunately, it's not a case.
    I guess it's due to my low IQ and fact that nobody tested it before I started to play...

same way I'm fully agree that if someone sold me 100% spoiled produt it's only because I'm blind and stupid.

Same way if I got aggression from anyone it's only because I should never come to same way as this criminal, should not be born woman (in case of sexual aggression) etc.

Hope we all got enough about me and we can start to discuss about f2p model again. =P

I got some useful info about games to avoid in a future, thanks to share!

Now to show how f2p can trap low IQ simple minded, like me, people, look

http://fw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=723641

Your link doesn't work for me.

and more about is here:

http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=411271

now trust me, at my server I met several Barons, Vicecounts and even one Monarch.

We can easily see it with title and/or marking on the right side of their names while in party with.

For easy understanding:

baron = 700 eur
    vice-count = 1000 eur
    monarch = 15'000 eur

and it's just one example of one f2p, PWE, Forsaken Wold in one server only!

P.S. I keep my woe and play for free. =D May be I have better IQ now?=D

Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly thanks all for reply! =) before all I need to clear up: I don't blame company for scaming me, I should be born immune to any kind of scam on-line or in real life. I guess, unfortunately, it's not a case. I guess it's due to my low IQ and fact that nobody tested it before I started to play... same way I'm fully agree that if someone sold me 100% spoiled produt it's only because I'm blind and stupid. Same way if I got aggression from anyone it's only because I should never come to same way as this criminal, should not be born woman (in case of sexual aggression) etc. Hope we all got enough about me and we can start to discuss about f2p model again. =P I got some useful info about games to avoid in a future, thanks to share! Now to show how f2p can trap low IQ simple minded, like me, people, look http://fw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=723641
    Your link doesn't work for me.

not for me either, but it correct link..

google for : forsaken world purchaser rewards
    choose: fw.perfectworld.com/news

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The original poster chose to blow a lot of money on a game because at the time they thought it was the best use of their funds. Just because they changed their mind about the value of their expenditure, doesn't mean that they were incapable of determining what was valuable to them at the time.

So you agree that it's a scam.  You just don't care.

Originally posted by maplestone

The original poster chose to blow a lot of money on a game because at the time they thought it was the best use of their funds. Just because they changed their mind about the value of their expenditure, doesn't mean that they were incapable of determining what was valuable to them at the time.

So you agree that it's a scam.

No, I believe that they were buying stuff that they wanted at the time. They got whatever it was they paid for (armor, gems, whatever). They later realized it was a decision they regretted.

What if they had bought a boat and never used it and during the resale they lost $4,000? They are both purchases that the consumer believes are worth the money at the time. They think they'll love the boat/armor/gems/etc., but in the end, some people regret their purchases. Are boats a scam?

People that can't afford to drop thousands on games shouldn't be playing games that ask people for thousands of dollars to stay competitive. It's not a scam to those that enjoy spending their money and being tops in those games.

People that can't afford to drop thousands on games shouldn't be playing games that ask people for thousands of dollars to stay competitive.

Then stop pushing it.  Stop being the problem.

People that can't afford to drop thousands on games shouldn't be playing games that ask people for thousands of dollars to stay competitive.

Then stop pushing it.  Stop being the problem.

Pushing what? I've enjoyed all kinds of F2P games that don't require you to spend any money to remain competitive. I'm certainly not "pushing" for P2W. I never play them personally because I think they're not worth it at all.

I'm not sure what I'm pushing.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    City of Heroes and Villians - Becasuse when it went free to play I couldn't even play my old characters and had to buy unlocks.  I was annoyed at this as most games that went free to play allow you to resume previous characters without paying for unlock features.  In my opinion, if you bought the game, you're entitled to being able to resume previous characters at least once the game goes free to play.  Whats worse is even though I did pay for these unlocks the game shut down within a year.

imageimage

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I see people here saying scammed by F2P or scammed by P2P, as far as I can tell people are paying for either of these payment models of their own free will, so while the value may or may not be there (that's really subjective) I don't see anyone getting truly scammed. People seem to use the word scam on here when they don't think something is worth what a company is charging or if they're sorry they paid for something.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

and more about is here:

http://fw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=411271

now trust me, at my server I met several Barons, Vicecounts and even one Monarch.

We can easily see it with title and/or marking on the right side of their names while in party with.

For easy understanding:

baron = 700 eur
    vice-count = 1000 eur
    monarch = 15'000 eur

and it's just one example of one f2p, PWE, Forsaken Wold in one server only!

P.S. I keep my woe and play for free. =D May be I have better IQ now?=D

So the players plunked down money? There is no p2w in Neverwinter.

*prepares flamethrower* ... *pauses* ... *does a quick reality check*

Doh.  My bad.  I'm embarassed to admit that I got you mixed up with someone else who has been more aggressively pushing cash shop games.

( I feel buyer's remorse is a telling symptom of scammy business models and don't agree with the sort of "let the buyer beware" view of the world, but I read your posts in the wrong context and so I think I read a nastier tone than you intended; sorry )

*prepares flamethrower* ... *pauses* ... *does a quick reality check*

Doh.  My bad.  I'm embarassed to admit that I got you mixed up with someone else who has been more aggressively pushing cash shop games.

( I feel buyer's remorse is a telling symptom of scammy business models and don't agree with the sort of "let the buyer beware" view of the world, but I read your posts in the wrong context and so I think I read a nastier tone than you intended; sorry )

Honestly, my tone does occasionaly get... uncivilized. So I wouldn't feel too bad about that.

I do understand the sympathetic sentiment when faced with these stories about how someone spent thousands of dollars on one of these P2W games and they didn't make rent or lost their car or something. That is a really unfortunate situation. You can only hope that people learn from their mistakes like the OP did.

I think... see, there is another view that I think should be considered about these P2W games. People don't tend to sympathise with the customers that can afford paying large sums of money to these P2W games and have fun doing it. That is their form of entertainment. No matter how silly it seems to me, there are people that can afford it and find it enjoyable. I don't think there is anything wrong with games being designed around and played by these people.

I guess it comes down to how they are advertised vs what they are. I know they are made with big spenders in mind, but that's only because I'm pretty well versed in MMORPG. I can definitely see how the advertising doesn't match the product in the case of games like RoM. F2P this, F2P that. In the end, they are designed from the ground up as Palot2W. I can definitely see how that seems scammy. On the other hand, in my opinion the choice is still in the hands of the consumer.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Squeak69

*sigh* i just want to go back to P2P so i dont have to be worried aout being scammed anymore, i just want to pay my flat rate and get everything the game has with it, so i can play theg ame and if i dont enjoy playing it i can just stop, why is that so complicated, i like life simpole i like to know where my monthly stipend for gameing money is going not poke thrtough the cash shops going so do i have enough left in this month for all the things i really want, well no,

yall want the truth i want to go back to P2P cause im a cheap person and evrytime i have to use my card online, i spend to much time thinking about it, i liked it when the transition of money between me and the devs was simpilar and easyier.

last thin and im done, if the companies where not makeing more money with tis module then they where with P2P then they would not be useing it in mass like they are currently.

There are those who would argue that being forced to pay rent to access a game you've already purchased is a scam.......

servers and regular maintence dont pay for themselves, not to mention free updates, well at least in the games that did them not all did, and i wasnt found of paying for DLC that didnt add much to be honest.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.