Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does the combat feel?

DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
As the title would suggest, I'm interested to know how the combat feels. I was just playing the Neverwinter beta and was disappointed to find myself rooted in place, this ruined an otherwise fun combat system. Does this game feel more fluid like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Destai
    As the title would suggest, I'm interested to know how the combat feels. I was just playing the Neverwinter beta and was disappointed to find myself rooted in place, this ruined an otherwise fun combat system. Does this game feel more fluid like Guild Wars 2?

No offense if you enjoy GW2 combat but I really hope not.  Both NW and GW2 are two opposite extremes of combat flow done wrong IMO just for different reasons.  I really hope Wildstar can hit a middle ground somewhere.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    No offense taken, it's a personal taste. I was just watching a video explaining more of it. It looks really fun, definitely looking forward to this title.
    No offense taken, it's a personal taste. I was just watching a video explaining more of it. It looks really fun, definitely looking forward to this title.

It does look fun from the videos I admit.  My problem with most action combat games is while the combat is fun solo groups can degenerate into little more than a free for all with little structure or control compared to a tab target game.

I do believe that's more a issue with the games themselves than action based combat so I am hopeful that Wildstar can nail it.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    game just entered closed beta, how can anyone know how combat feels, and if they do they are under nda, silly topic
    Originally posted by Smikis
    game just entered closed beta, how can anyone know how combat feels, and if they do they are under nda, silly topic

There are people out there that have played it at PAX or such.  I am not one of them I am afraid. :-(

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

NDA still means you can give your comment on how the combat feels to them (boring, amazing, etc, etc). Silly and stupid response.

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by udon

No offense if you enjoy GW2 combat but I really hope not.  Both NW and GW2 are two opposite extremes of combat flow done wrong IMO just for different reasons.  I really hope Wildstar can hit a middle ground somewhere.

I have to agree, while gw2 is a pretty decent game. They got the flow of PVP combat totally wrong IMO. The only thingi t really gets right is how mobile it is. To me, it sounds noobly, but it seemed almost too fast. most casts were under a second if I'm rememvbering right, and dodging was kinda weird as well, since it was just an immunity and not an actual dodge.

From what I've read wildstar combat has a lot of skill shots with the telegraph system, so I'm excited for that. Heres a preview of what the pve combat looks like from someone who knows how to play, you can kind of get an idea how pvp might work. (heres an example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNsSCsjqLg. Skip to 33:23)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    looks like mixture of tab target ala gw2 and active dodging but with rooting on most abilities.. looks fun and smooth can't wait:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

NDA still means you can give your comment on how the combat feels to them (boring, amazing, etc, etc). Silly and stupid response.

nda means you cannot say that you are in beta, and that you are playing the game, nda does not allow you to say combat is amazin or its not, get a clue before you post bullshit

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Posting latest reveal from W* http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/eu_arkship_invitees_feedback.php, since the links there offer some feel on combat.

I'm going to say it will be smoother than NW, without as much rooting in place, making it more similiar to GW2, but not entirely the same.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

If you watch the combat video's its bascally just a copy and paste of wow's combat. Which is also known as the generic mmorpg combat now a days. Personally Wildstar looks a tad too much like a clone of wow for my liking, it even has a simmlar art style, I'll try the game if I get into a beta, but as of now I have no plans to pre-order or ever buy it. Might change my tune if I can try it in beta and see how it is, but so far none of the video's have looked to me like it'd be a fun/decent game, just looks like yet another world of warcraft clone. However seeing the game in a video and playing it are sometimes diffrent things, So i'll reserve judgement till I can actually play it. My biggest issue with wildstar though is how stupid the races look, its a furrys wet dream.

Also.. mmorpg.com.. u really need to get rid of those scarlet blade ads, the only single thing the game has going for it is the half naked girls with beach balls for tits that look like plastic barbie dolls. I like my T&A as much as any guy, but I don't find the girls in scarlet blade attractive personally, if anything I think they have some kind of mutation or something that made them look like they do.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

nda means you cannot say that you are in beta, and that you are playing the game, nda does not allow you to say combat is amazin or its not, get a clue before you post bullshit

That really depends on the details of the NDA what he can and cannot say. They're not all the same. It's entirely possible he can say he's in it but just can't give details about the game itself.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

You can give your opinion on it without breaking the NDA. [mod edit]

Originally posted by Siveria

If you watch the combat video's its bascally just a copy and paste of wow's combat. Which is also known as the generic mmorpg combat now a days. Personally Wildstar looks a tad too much like a clone of wow for my liking, it even has a simmlar art style, I'll try the game if I get into a beta, but as of now I have no plans to pre-order or ever buy it. Might change my tune if I can try it in beta and see how it is, but so far none of the video's have looked to me like it'd be a fun/decent game, just looks like yet another world of warcraft clone. However seeing the game in a video and playing it are sometimes diffrent things, So i'll reserve judgement till I can actually play it. My biggest issue with wildstar though is how stupid the races look, its a furrys wet dream.

Also.. mmorpg.com.. u really need to get rid of those scarlet blade ads, the only single thing the game has going for it is the half naked girls with beach balls for tits that look like plastic barbie dolls. I like my T&A as much as any guy, but I don't find the girls in scarlet blade attractive personally, if anything I think they have some kind of mutation or something that made them look like they do.

since when does wow have active dodging and telegraph style abilities? . really looks about as unwow as you can get.. GW2 would be a closer comparison but still many differences from that

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

I have seen some reviews form Pax mention your question and they say there is no lock or root in combat like Neverwinter.  people said it is much more fluid.  The devs have said there are also many spells and attacks that can be cast while moving.  From what they have said they want you to move but not be overly penalized for it.  But combat is such a personal thing.  One has to try it themselves.  Another 5-6 months and we should all be in and playing open beta hopefully.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

How on earth do people say this regarding combat? WoW is tab target click 1-90 :), while locked on. (I haven't played since BC)

WildStar is far more similiar to GW2, where you can swing / attack with no lock on target. You can also throw down AOE skills on the ground, wherever you like. Since tab/lock on target is not required in WildStar, you line enemies up in your telegraphs for maximum effectiveness. This is action oriented combat with (double) jumping and dodges, not tab-targeted autolock hits.

How do people with the view that WildStar's combat is a copy of WoW's justify it?

Originally posted by Eluldor

How on earth do people say this regarding combat? WoW is tab target click 1-90 :), while locked on. (I haven't played since BC)

WildStar is far more similiar to GW2, where you can swing / attack with no lock on target. You can also throw down AOE skills on the ground, wherever you like. Since tab/lock on target is not required in WildStar, you line enemies up in your telegraphs for maximum effectiveness. This is action oriented combat with (double) jumping and dodges, not tab-targeted autolock hits.

How do people with the view that WildStar's combat is a copy of WoW's justify it?

lol no clue.. guess cause similar art style but combat looks nothing like wow style from the videos:)

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Not to defend wow here, but the same "telegraph" ablities have been there for years, they just dont show on the ground like bright red circles and lines. Only thing I see different is they added dodging and got rid of auto attack and put it on the mouse button as current fashion tells them to¨.
  • Aren_DAren_D Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by Aerowyn

since when does wow have active dodging and telegraph style abilities? . really looks about as unwow as you can get.. GW2 would be a closer comparison but still many differences from that

Wild Star in early stages had tab trargeted combat system like in WoW, they scratched it later for dodging and telegraphs. Look up early Wild Star videos on youtube :p

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Not to defend wow here, but the same "telegraph" ablities have been there for years, they just dont show on the ground like bright red circles and lines. Only thing I see different is they added dodging and got rid of auto attack and put it on the mouse button as current fashion tells them to¨.

Telegraphs have been there for many years in raiding.  Rift often uses Different colored areas to signal where attacks are coming before they happen. Other games have used big red circles to tell people not to step in areas and other visual queues. 

As raids have become more movement intensive and reaction based the trend the past few years has been to bring more raid mechanics to regular fights.  What is new about telegraphs in Wildstar is using telegraphs on non raid mobs and players telegraphing their heals and buffs to the raid putting the responsibility on players staying alive on the player not the healer.  The use of telegraphed aoe heals seems to like it could be quite a big change.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I remember people having problems in WOW with Ozruk (one of the bosses in in Stonecore, a 5-man dungeon), especially because of his AOE abilities. One of the patches they did, they implemented telegraphs to help people keep a safe distance, and from then on it was not a hard boss anymore.

But that's indeed just the "dumbing it down" way of implementing telegraphs... The Secret World has telegraphs for normal mobs, and it can still get really busy. Some of the boss encounters are both tough and exciting despite - or rather, thanks to - the telegraphing system.

Originally posted by Aren_D

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Wild Star in early stages had tab trargeted combat system like in WoW, they scratched it later for dodging and telegraphs. Look up early Wild Star videos on youtube :p

i'm pretty sure even the current system has tab targetting though but is more of a hybrid like gw2

no you cannot, yet to see single nda that even allows you to say that you are in beta/alfa, if you cannot say those you cannot say those how can you suddently have opinion, thats like saying yeh i am in beta when you are not allowed to do so, seriously go away

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

no you cannot, yet to see single nda that even allows you to say that you are in beta/alfa, if you cannot say those you cannot say those how can you suddently have opinion, thats like saying yeh i am in beta when you are not allowed to do so, seriously go away

[mod edit].   I have been in a closed beta that allowed you to say you were in it, but NDA'd deeper stuff.  Most don't go that route, true.  Some people have played the game at conventions.  Some are using knowledged gleaned from watching videos.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by lolunatic
    Originally posted by udon

I have to agree, while gw2 is a pretty decent game. They got the flow of PVP combat totally wrong IMO. The only thingi t really gets right is how mobile it is. To me, it sounds noobly, but it seemed almost too fast. most casts were under a second if I'm rememvbering right, and dodging was kinda weird as well, since it was just an immunity and not an actual dodge.

From what I've read wildstar combat has a lot of skill shots with the telegraph system, so I'm excited for that. Heres a preview of what the pve combat looks like from someone who knows how to play, you can kind of get an idea how pvp might work. (heres an example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toNsSCsjqLg. Skip to 33:23)

Cool video, thanks for sharing!