Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How was your very first feeling when you logged in for the first time in a MMORPG

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

For me It was quite odd, I used to play Quake and other MP games but when I first logged into Ultima Online I felt I didn't belong there.

The chat was going and I the noob was there for the first time in a new world of gaming, I had no clue what to do and I was scared to even write in chat to ask questions because for me this was a new experience for me, not like Quake.

Still I felt for the first time in my life that this was global, I played with Americans, Kiwis, Germans, French, Canadians in the same world in the same game.

This was really my best experience of MMO gaming, the virgin fruits.

How was your ride for the first time?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

It was pretty crazy at first, i got dropped off into Dereth ( asherons call ) with some bread a knife apples and no clue wtf to do. before i knew it i had bodys all over the place, running for my life from wasps and drudges and finally i made my way to a town where i met up with some people and they showed me the ropes.

it was a pretty wild experience to sit back and think that i was playing a character in another world. I could go anywhere and do anything i wanted. hell just traveling to other towns to meet new people was cool, in that game you didnt advance to new areas depending on levels. people actually called the towns home and hung out in them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

I was thinking, "no weirdo's better try to talk to me" 

First person who did....... turned out to be a 12 year old girl.

Awkward....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

My first experience was with Everquest and my first feeling was awe and then fear back when you could actually feel fear in a MMORPG

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I migrated from Quake TF back in the day to Ultima Online! It was wild logging in for the first time and seeing people run by me! At first everyone was trying to raise fighting skills on dummies throughout town. There were also really long lines and waiting to get reagents for spells. The NPC merchants/server couldn't keep up with the demand.

Stepping outside I quickly learned I needed to get my hiding skill. Reputation was a big thing and people knew who they could trust and who to stay away from. Guilds formed and communities grew stronger. There were very few Grandmasters of any skill on the server. You could remodel your character by letting skills decay and increasing others. No 2 characters were exactly the same. Even bard were a playable class. I GMed musicianship, peacemaking, and provocation. People would try to attack me but couldn't stand a chance against a provoked wisp.

Eventually whiners infiltrated the UO stratics forums and started making demands to the developers to change the game to fit their playstyles. The developers got spooked and started making changes to try to make them happy and people started leaving.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I logged into runescape around 2002/2003 with two of my friends.  They had started a little while before I did and decided that I was going to specialize in melee since one of them was a ranger and one was a mage (despite being able to be a jack of all trades).  Rest is history, I ended up playing non stop trying to level everything and gain gold to buy all the items I could not craft.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'l have to guess as i have mo real ide... But seeing as the game was UO... it was most likley confusing, painful and ended with someone ganking me. That being said i did stick around for about two three years.

Best feeling i think have to be the first time i logged in to CoH. It was friggin magic. The music, the CC and then stepping in to the city and seeing all these heroes zipping around. (i was in the second stress-test beta.)

This have been a good conversation

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I was rather excited as this was the first FInal Fantasy MMO, yeah FFXI, and I absalutely love the series so I couldn't wait to try out an MMO where I could meet and play with fellow fans, boy was I wrong about that ._.

imageimage

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2 was my first mmo I logged into and I did not even know what a mmo really was. I thought it was an online game like Diablo or Baldurs Gate. Never did I know it was thousands of players in the same world as me. All I did everday was run outside of town and kill mobs till I got killed and logged off. Did that for the whole trial month and of course I did not sub. It was not till I tried private servers about a year later did I find out what a mmo really was. Did private servers for about a year before I went back to retail and have been there ever since.
  • PoachinatorPoachinator Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Like warm apple pie!
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I was having chills wrapping my head around the concept of "no saved game" - it was a very terrifying concept to me at the time.
  • RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    My very first MMORPG was Anarchy Online. Back in the day I didn't have a clue what kind of game AO was and I think some of my friends just told me to give it a try. I remember being totally lost but when I realized I was playing a game with other gamers around the world I was pretty  impressed. Heh, now I remember one more funny thing... I was wondering what happens to my character when I log off, will he disappear, will he wander around or can someone kill him or stuff like that. I was a Noob with a capital N but oh boy it was a trip I'll never forget.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by StonesDK

My first experience was with Everquest and my first feeling was awe and then fear back when you could actually feel fear in a MMORPG

Same here. Especially since I was a Erudite Necromancer and had to get invisible cast on me, make a run to the docks, take a boat, sneak my way and bind myself near Nektulos Forest!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

FIrst time log into UO .. dead within 3 min .. my thought "really? You expect this is fun?"

First time log into EQ ... "just like the diku MUD i played 10 min ago, but with graphics".

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by maplestone
    I was having chills wrapping my head around the concept of "no saved game" - it was a very terrifying concept to me at the time.

Yes this was odd for me aswell, I actually thought at the time when I first died I had to make a new toon in UO..lol

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    The first mmo I played was eq but I was used to playing fps games(quake tf) so it was waaay different. I also had never played nor watched a d&d type game. I started as a dark elf rogue and of course I was completely lost in that city. The city was 3 zones deep and they started players off in the very last one.

I don't remember how I eventually got the outside, but I remember the first time I fought something. All you did was press the autoattack key and then just wait (casters were a little different). I couldn't understand why anyone would want to play a game like that, since I was used to fps games.

But my boyfriend convinced me to try it out for a bit longer and kind of explained what rpg games were about ... not so much about combat but more exploration and adventure. So I did .. and ended up playing for years. EQ will always be my favorite game.
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Curious, I never really got the appeal of MMOs, I only followed the FF series into it. It intrigued me and the community interaction was immediately interesting... Unfortunately the gameplay gave me nightmares for years, still dealing with the sideeffects of bad gameplay over a decade later.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Starting in Halas in EQ:  Amazement and trepidation about going beyond the city!  Looking out over the water was spellbinding.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    EQ was my first MMO.  I was confused and lost but I could tell I was no to something good.  I played an Erudite wizard and absolutely loved nuking things.  Running around killing snakes and what not in the forest....then I got to Qeynos and got lost a bunch of times trying to get from the docks to the cities main entrance.  After a while I was addicted to the expreience and remember those earliy days fondly.  It was the right game at the right time. 
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Confused, overwhelmed, and amazed rolled into one.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

"You are in our world now" was the message on my screen when I logged in to Everquest in 1999.

I was thrilled, a virtual world like we had dreamed would come since the 80ies, it was here and I was in this world.

Lost, frustrated, euforic, intrigued, frightened.

There were no extended wikis, only a few sites with some basic information and discussion boards, but apart from looking up my class I knew nothing. There were no ingame maps, there were no compass, so I had to explore and learn "everything".

It was a virtual world, and it was true I was in their world now.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Lost, confused, frustrated, aggrivated and humbled.

It was awesome.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

First MMO I played was FFXI.  It took me 30 minutes to figure out the controls because I was playing on a laptop and had to figure out the compact keyboard settings.

My starting city was so huge, I was literally in awe.  Little did I know how big the world itself was.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by StonesDK
    Same here.

I think I spawned outside Kelethin near the lift and seeing just vast... tracts of land all around me. And a few dead bodies (especially around the lifts as players valiantly sought the safety of the guards there). The chat box was going so fast it was hard for me to keep up.

I think I finally decided to find out how to open up my inventory and see what I had with me. In there I found a note to go visit some person in Kelethin. "Well...", I thought, "I best go try to find this person."

Then I got a grand tour of Kelethin after figuring out how the lifts worked by seeing another player use it. I don't recall falling off of the edges my first tour through, luckily enough :)

I think maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour later I finally found the person who I was directed to find. Remember, there was no map or compass back then. We all only had a skill called "sense direction" for directions that I had no clue about :)

Now, I had to figure out how to talk to the NPCs, like what those [words in brackets] meant. Interesting! When I used them in chat, the NPC responded to me! "How cool is this?" I remember thinking.

Overall, my feeling was lost. I had a buddy at work that talked about playing EQ and I had a little inkling about what took place, but until I was actually in the game, I had no clue.

I kind of get this feeling, though to a lesser degree, in some of the other MMORPGs I have played since. I credit that more to my refusal to visit wikis and info pages on the internet to keep that feeling of newness instead knowing everything before ever logging in for the first time, than anything else.

That was a fun trip down memory lane :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by maplestone
    lol I STILL struggle with that, especially if I have been playing a single player game before logging in :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I was in barrens and said "hey a graphical version of 4chan. Perfect!" and joined in the fun :D

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul