Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't look deep into Wildstar, how can you ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I can't look deep into this game until :

1)We have a release date - Why study an mmo if it's far far away...As good as Wildstar looks, why hype up ?

2) Payment method - This is a new problem for me, as of the last few years...If its F2P or heavy cash shop the game will be instant toilet bound.  Yet, as of late, this is the very last announcement developers release.

Here is my reasoning with F2P that EVERYONE OVERLOOKS, I'm talking everyone !...What good is an mmo if others around you are gimped.  Who has what, who is paying for weapons, armor, bag space, dungeon packages, healing pots and zones.  Who is playing totally free ?  How do you tell ?  How can you count on friends and Guilds, or groups that you make for Multiplayer content.

F2P is everything opposite of an mmo......Whats your view ?

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by delete5230

1)We have a release date - Why study an mmo if it's far far away...As good as Wildstar looks, why hype up ?

2) Payment method - This is a new problem for me, as of the last few years...If its F2P or heavy cash shop the game will be instant toilet bound.  Yet, as of late, this is the very last announcement developers release.

Here is my reasoning with F2P that EVERYONE OVERLOOKS, I'm talking everyone !...What good is an mmo if others around you are gimped.  Who has what, who is paying for weapons, armor, bag space, dungeon packages, healing pots and zones.  Who is playing totally free ?  How do you tell ?  How can you count on friends and Guilds, or groups that you make for Multiplayer content.

My view is that everything is red is absurd simply because not all f2p/b2p/p2p systems are created anywhere close to equal. The payment model does not matter to me aslong as I find it reasonable for the content provided. As for release date, they have said "this year" with a caveat of when its ready. Based on the current beta status expect a fall release like Eso.

• doorb7doorb7 Member UncommonPosts: 61

The game is in closed beta, and is wideley expected to be released late this year, with a chance of early next. Most games start to heavily hype with about 6months to go so we may get an indication soon as to whether this game will be out before the end of the year. Other than that the vast majority of hands on sessions have been extremely positive. The game to bypassers may look like a casuals game but in fact is aiming to have content for the very hardcore player too, i think this will give the game wide appeal, and longevity.

I think most people expect this game to be sub based to start and carry on that way if it does well. 2nd option i believe will be a buy to play like the secret world now and gw2. f2p off the bat is in most likely hood a very unlikely option for this game at this point.

• AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64

THEY HAVE ALREADY STATED THE GAME WONT BE F2P WHY PEOPLE KEEP MENTIONING IT IS A MYSTERIE !!!

THEY STATED THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY THE GAME WITH A MONTHLY FEE !!!

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I have yet to play a F2P MMORPG that I enjoy. I've tried many but found them all terrible and infested with horrible communities.

F2P works for little games like LoL or The Sims but not MMORPGs.

Also by principle I'm totally opposed to the concept of a cash shop (or any out of game shop for that matter). Everything in the game should be obtainable from within the game.

Originally posted by Ayurox

THEY HAVE ALREADY STATED THE GAME WONT BE F2P WHY PEOPLE KEEP MENTIONING IT IS A MYSTERIE !!!

Source? That would be the first I have heard of it.

• AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

If you cant find it by google, get off your lazy ass make a trip to a game convention and TADAaaaa :-) ask them personnaly 

If you cant find it by google, get off your lazy ass make a trip to a game convention and TADAaaaa :-) ask them personnaly 

If its so easy post a link. Nothing came up with a quick google search other than http://www.free-mmo.com/online-games/wildstar.htm 

The rest being older or merely speculation.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

They havent confirmed that it will be sub-based, but it has been confirmed that it will not be f2p.

It's quite likely that it will be sub with microtransactions and those microtransactions include tradable gametime or a similar system, just a speculation tho, but pretty much based on what they have said in converences.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeUbXJZPkd0

At 24:40

Dev say they don't know the payment model yet.. So don't listen to gamers saying they know.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

My view is that everything is red is absurd simply because not all f2p/b2p/p2p systems are created anywhere close to equal. The payment model does not matter to me aslong as I find it reasonable for the content provided. As for release date, they have said "this year" with a caveat of when its ready. Based on the current beta status expect a fall release like Eso.

I used the words:

F2P and that = others around you Will be gimped.

HEAVY CASH SHOP = others around you Will be gimped.

" Absurd " is the wrong word.  Everyone has an opinion thats why I asked whats your view ?.....Hay, maybe your that solo player playing mmos. For the life of me, I can't figure that type of player out.  I have a RL friend that compleatly plays GW2 alone. He will not play with any of us at work or others in game !......

I'm the type that uses an mmo for playing mmo style....And thats hard when others are gimped all around you...Again, who has what ?

I used the words:

F2P and that = others around you Will be gimped.

HEAVY CASH SHOP = others around you Will be gimped.

" Absurd " is the wrong word.  Everyone has an opinion thats why I asked whats your view ?.....Hay, maybe your that solo player playing mmos. For the life of me, I can't figure that type of player out.  I have a RL friend that compleatly plays GW2 alone. He will not play with any of us at work or others in game !......

I'm the type that uses an mmo for playing mmo style....And thats hard when others are gimped all around you...Again, who has what ?

Here is the definition http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/absurd

I used the correct word. F2p does not equal gimped if you do not pay, atleast not in all of them which is my point. And no, I am not a solo player in the least. The most basic perusal of my post history should show that clearly enough. Christ man if your going to levy an accusation at someone you should have something more to go on than whatever bug you have up your ass.

Two types of players in a Heavy F2P mmo.

Gimped and non-gimped.

Gimped players-Try and play the best they can for free or little money.  Some get discouraged and leave shortly in. Some make it a mini game in its self, researching sites to find every walkaround they can, then grind grind and grind. They have no choice but to often solo, with the occasional group of like minded gimped players. They usually have no money being a struggling collage student, or that 10 year old without dads credit card. Hay, nothing wrong with that.

Non-gimped players often spend a lot of cash in the shops. If they only spend a little they are gimped (see above) They have to play along side the gimped players and never really know who is gimped because developers don't put a large yellow tag above their head saying how deeply gimped they are.
    This could be discouraging to the non-gimped player because they never really know just how populated the game really is because the gimped players more often than not out number the non-gimped.

Guilds and Grouping could be hard to determine, do you let that player in or is he gimped ? Can he even go to that dungeon ? Does he have more than an 8 slot bag?....Hard to say with out that yellow tag I talked about.....

Well, I guess it's no big deal if you are a solo player spending little in the cash shop. But its an mmo, why are they even play?...Because mmos are the best sorce of playing any game for free !

Me? Well, i'm an mmo player, I don't play gimped, or non-gimped. I don't play heavy f2P mmos.

• AkaishenAkaishen Member Posts: 12

1) We have a release date - Why study an mmo if it's far far away...As good as Wildstar looks, why hype up ?

The official release date is by the end of the year (or when it's ready). Per the many developer videos that have gone out, they've informed us that everything is going well and in some cases faster than their estimates. They will, however, spend however much time as they need to add polish before releasing the game. I'll be attending PAX Prime in about 4 months and hope to get into a beta so that I can help the developers add polish (and to play, of course).

The payment method will be released in June (give or take a few weeks). The developers stated they'd announce it in two months (I can't find the exact time in the video, though I'll include the two videos below), a month ago. They hinted that it's going to be a hybrid of sorts, though to what extent that means, we don't know. I'm guessing the game will be buy-to-play with a cosmetics/convenience shop (especially given the huge housing system, I can see a cosmetics shop playing a big part there). I don't believe the game will be free-to-play. Of course, there's always an option of free-to-play (with level cap), subscription, and item mall. I'm perfectly fine with paying a subscription, as I feel the game is fantastic, though personally, I'm hoping for a buy-to-play with balanced item mall.

The developers hinted at game models that made sense. They will not start with a subscription and go free-to-play. If free-to-play ever exists for the game, it'll most likely exist at the very start. Free-to-play isn't bad depending on how it's done (and there's so many ways to do it). DotA 2 is not an MMO, though it's a fantastic free-to-play game that I have spent many hours with. I've never spent a penny for the game as I don't care about the cosmetics of my characters (and I have tons of items just for playing so long anyway). Of course, DotA 2 is an eSport that has never-ending gameplay.

Building hype for the game is great. Not only is it fun to read up on all the news, watch the videos, and discuss speculations, building hype can help the game once it launches. Word of mouth and excitement are two great things that will help sales. I have my set of games I play now, though it's always fun to see what's coming around the corner. WildStar is a beautiful game with good game-play mechanics and great humor. I'm highly looking forward to it and I know many others are too (which is why the hype level has it ranked as #4 on this website).

Videos to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp3ciFaumL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9Ogn7AazM

Hay thanks for the nice read :)
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Carbine, as recently as PAX East 2013, have said that they are not talking about payment model yet. They have yet to announce it and anybody who claims to 'know' is dead wrong.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's yet another wow with a couple of twists game.

Will be f2p soon enough.
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Will be f2p soon enough.

It's more like a EVOLUTION of WoW. Not really a clone with a single twist added like story(swtor) or action combat(tera). dynamic events(gw2). Even though it has those elements anyway. It's pretty much what any themeparker could ever want.

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    Will be f2p soon enough.

Well, if they are really focusing on the end game like they said they are (half their dev team now working on end game content),  it will probably have less a chance of being f2p like the other mmos if they even launch as a sub.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Carbine, as recently as PAX East 2013, have said that they are not talking about payment model yet. They have yet to announce it and anybody who claims to 'know' is dead wrong.

This +1, unless this guy who hints that he asked them personally has an audio/video recording of it haha.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

Will be f2p soon enough.

Just like ESO is a guild wars 2 clone with a few twists. Score!
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by JKwervo

Will be f2p soon enough.

In fairness, this was my initial reaction when I saw the first trailer video for ESO.  Still don't expect it to be much different. 

Originally posted by redcapp

Will be f2p soon enough.

In fairness, this was my initial reaction when I saw the first trailer video for ESO.  Still don't expect it to be much different. 

For me, I can't even rate Wildstar as for gameplay untill I find out some VERY BASIC questions.

- Is it a F2P, money sucking mmo.

- When

A few post here are guessing it's not a f2P.......But the marketing department is playing a their games and holding off.  Until I know, it's just another mmo on the long list of about 100

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

This +1, unless this guy who hints that he asked them personally has an audio/video recording of it haha.

gotta love how he capsed and used red tho, so everyone can see it better :P

well, neither red nor caps ever made a statement any truer hehe

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

For me, I can't even rate Wildstar as for gameplay untill I find out some VERY BASIC questions.

- When

A few post here are guessing it's not a f2P.......But the marketing department is playing a their games and holding off.  Until I know, it's just another mmo on the long list of about 100

Whether its f2p or not should me immaterial. If you find the content worth paying for then do so. Acting all retarded over a payment model when ALL of them have been abused is stupid. That being said, this should help convince you.

"Here's some quick philosophy on the subject (still in the office at 6pm Sunday so I'll have to be brief):

We do believe in catering to the 1% (actually a few different 1%'s). We spend more than 1% of our time on them. Why?

Well, the 1% grew over time in the MMO market. It used to be that few people were at the end game stages of the MMOs, but of course as time passes the percentage of players there grows. And some who hated PVP as noobies learned they loved it, and some who struggled in dungeons took on veteran dungeons and learned to raid, etc. So that "1%" of people who do the hard end-game content has grown a bit (it's still not pervasive per se; and the toughest raids are still only finished by a fraction of the playerbase).

Several factors apply:

1) The 1% are pretty vocal. If they report back to the 99% that the elder game sucks, guess what? Lots of people leave - why bother levelling up if no love was put into the very top content? (Well there actually answers to that, but I'll leave it for brevity).

2) Over time, your "1%" content becomes easier - better loot drops, people get more skilled, level caps raise. So that percentage our of time spent actually over time does get utilized well.

3) We devs often ARE the 1%. If you make a game you don't love, it's pretty damn hard to make it good. We want a game we want to play too. There are a disproportionate amount of hardcore raiders/PVPers in the industry (and probably also in those passionate enough to post here or on other MMO sites for that matter).

4) There's some magic involved. Picture a game with no nigh-inaccessible content. You can go anywhere the first month, there's nothing left unseen. From one perspective, maybe that's great - there's no earning your way into Counterstrike maps, and that game's pretty damn fun. But from another...I dunno, it's pretty tough to have a mysterious, huge-feeling world when you can trivially do it all, and even in games I don't want to or don't have time to raid in I'd like to know there's more out there. That's arguable though.

So we focus a lot on elder games. We're trying to have innovative answer for each major playstyles:

Soloers PVE'ers (IMO under-served in most MMOs oddly as they are 65+% of the playerbase in most western MMOs) get more than rep grinds and dailies by having solo story dungeons released regularly, dynamic PQ content (most to be revealed down the road), big frequent updates, housing stuff, good tradeskilling, and more.

PVPers: Warplots (40v40 player built city v city combat) and arenas (to oversummarize)

Group PVE'ers: Dynamic raid content, weekly competitions for legendary gear, and more (some to be revealed later)

Some of that stuff (especially the group stuff) needs to be damn hard. We want the best guilds capturing raid bosses in challenging ways, and pinning them down on their warplots to go beat the <REDACTED> out of the other fortresses. Many noobie players may never experience that - but hopefully they hear about it and aspire to it.

We're trying to make everyone useful, so the major guilds will end up with raiders, warplotters, and soloers contributing to the overall guild's success, in roughly the proportions they naturally exist in the playerbase. We'll see if we succeed at that (beta's all about finishing implementation, then tuning tuning tuning to make sure it all plays well individually and together).

Anyhoo, there's tons more on the subject, especially as we do more reveals later this year on elder games, deeper dives on features, etc. Maybe we'll muck up some of the execution (don't believe so at the moment, but there's lots to do still. I don't expect or desire any "gimmes" from the MMO communities as a whole; there's been enough hype in recent years in the biz that the proof HAS to be in the pudding for us and future games).

But strategically we have a set of goals that we feel passionate about. Opinions welcome."

- Jeremy Gaffney.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by redcapp

Will be f2p soon enough.

- When

Knowing that NCSoft is behind it leaves me with my doubts, that's for sure.