Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's amazing how 9 years later WoW is still the only evenly executed MMO

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Ozimandeus

BUT.. I think we may have one title that might just do something different and might just be huge..and its Marvel Heros.

What do you believe is so different for Marvel Heroes?  I was in the closed beta and it came across as a diablo clone with a marvel skin and RPG like upgrades.  Happy to understand what Im missing but it didnt leave me impressed, though believe it will have an audience.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by David_Lopan
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Sanctuaryy

It's amazing wow isn't "popular on this site" as you say. 

Whatever, I only played WoW about 6 months total and I'll say it.

I love WoW!  Sure I don't play it today and I never reached level cap.

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

Finally! A couple of people who get it.

There is hope for the MMORPG community yet.

ER, since you're hanging out here,I guess you're part of said crowd then?

I hang out at gay bars, but I'm not gay.

Wait!    No, that's the wrong analogy.

I know I've got a good one here somewhere.........

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by topographic
    Originally posted by David_Lopan

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

Finally! A couple of people who get it.

There is hope for the MMORPG community yet.

Here it is.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Here it is.

If it'd been anybody but you, I'd not have clicked that link.

WTF.

I think I hate you now.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108

what is very important for me?

-animations and reaction times of my characters.wow has the best gameplay and animation from all the mmos on the market. when i play wow toon, i "feel" the  mass, weight, immediate reactions (depends on lag i know)..etc.but you know what i mean. but in other mmos it looks like playing some floating skinny something what barely looks like a moving human (or whatever else). warhammer online had great animations too. the only downside (animation wise) were sliding npc's when they moved towards me.

so basically if an animaion of my char doesn't impress me from the very beginning, i just quit. i don't care how good are the quests, lore, world...if i have to stare at the same toon over and over and it doesn't move and look like it should i  just uninstall the game immediately.

and i don't know how good are japanesse / chinesse games, because i really hate that stupid manga (anime) style. small noses, big eyes, big boobs, innocent look..it feels like being a shitty pedophile....nah..i just don't wanna play (or even look) on that asian crap.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Have you tried AION?
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by trash656

If you do Research into this, There is a good explaination for that. It's got nothing too do with WoW being a great and Wonderful Game Either.

The New MMORPG"s that come out now are Dumbed Down, Have less and less content in them, more simplified then ever, easy, simplified mechanics, and classes because the Developers are incompetant greedy Profiteering gluttons who no longer make games because they weren't just soley fixed on money, but also because they were gamers themselves at one point who wanted to make Really Great Games with Excellent story writers, programmers, and Artists, but now it's Like a Shopping Mall were all the Investers have complete control over everything, most of it is all about Money now. That's all they care about, They don't care about making great games because they can cash in on easy sales, and pre orders. Perfect Examples of this are War Z, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Auto Assualt, All Points Bulliten, the list goes on...

These PR representatives and developers are completely and utterly disconnected with the Gaming Community, Who cater to the ones Who are the Obiediant gamers no matter what (Fanboys) who are smart enough to realize a game "Can" be good, Just by "Graphics" and "Gameplay" but are dumb enough to passivly accept all these increasingly shitter games, with less customization, Depth, story, less lore, less choices, and less Creativity. It's a Big Club, and you ain't in it. We are just the stupid ants following around with our faces in each others assess just hoping the next MMORPG will be better but it never is because those PR people are so good at hyping things up, making a game sound really interesting and indepth and while you do your pre order then are laughing at you and me all the way to the bank because they know you just got ripped off.

*The Golden Age of MMORPG"s is Finnished. Don't Botherr looking forward to it, because you will be dissapointed to the point of giving up on MMORPG"s all together. just be happy for what you have.*

Very well said.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    In situations like this I normally recomend TERA, if you can stand korean style graphics it's definantly worth a look.  There are definantly some downsides to the game but it has the best combat around and if you're decent at making in game gold there is no need to touch the cash shop.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I played WoW from Beta til about 2 months ago.  I also play Rift.  I only left WoW because I didn't have enough time to play WoW, Rift, Defiance, and Neverwinter.  Right now, I'm playing Neverwinter mainly, but also playing Defiance, and still haning out and raiding with my friends and guildmates in Rift.  Some of my friends from Lotro, Wow, DAoC, EQ, and Rift have also joined me in Neverwinter.  Alot of my friends from Lotro in fact.  I think people are starting to look for a new RP mmoRPg, and Neverwinter is pretty good, since most of my friends also do pen and paper, so we know the setting kinda.  I might have to drop Rift as well (which I've played since beta also), just so I have time to play Neverwinter and Defiance.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    OP suggests wow is good at all things.

IT'S NOT

It's great for raiders, its good at dungeon crawls.

But its a piss poor game for crafters and pvpers.
  • VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

It is friggin crazy how much I agree with you.  I played Diablo 2 in 1999, played Shadowbane in 2003-2004, which were both great experiences, but when WoW came out, I played it. 2004.  Guess what I'm playing now.  WoW.  2013.  Nine years later, and I'm still/back in WoW.  I've quit so many times, sometimes for a month, sometimes for 3, sometimes for 6, sometimes for a year.  But I always try to find an MMO that won't make me want to go back.  I don't want to go back either.  I want something polished that evokes the feeling I had with Shadowbane... something where what you do actually matters.  But, the polish of WoW crushes the wannabes.  Is there anything.. anything at all?  I've tried dozens of MMOs with no success.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by libraofdoom
    Eve Online

OP Dunno how you came to the idea that Wow was the only long standing MMO but as libraofdoom has pointed out this pisses over Wow in more ways that one. You need a brain to play Eve unlike Wow you just need a low end PC and two hands.

I'm sure that as Eve grows stronger and grows yearly it will remain the top MMO out in the market place as long as it continues to Eve-olve like it has.

Still guess that's why most people who play Wow cannot see any other games around as they are blinkered. BUT if you really had any kind of bottle you should try the trail https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=99b7cb68-c470-41e9-8301-f171772df474&action=buddy and then pop back and leave comments on what you learned about Eve.

Bandit

I have a subscription to EVE right now. I live in low sec with a small corp. It's the most boring MMO I've ever played. I love the music and environment, though.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

IT'S NOT

Depends on your personal defintion of good PVP. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    WoW is probably the best ThemePark MMO, yes.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Latronus

to each their own I guess.

my sentiments too

WOW has no  utility classes -- like EQs bards and enchanters

I dont like how WOW is more simplified in game mechanics

but thats me

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

IT'S NOT

This pretty much 100%. Nothing comes remotely close to it PvE wise (and i'm talking current content from MoP, not PvE from years ago that ppl keep brining up in the whole "9 years" argument).

PvP though, is a complete and total CC fest/mess. Its modes are some of the best though (battlegrounds, 2v3, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5, ranked ladders), but CC has just gotten completely out of hand.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Good combat, immersive world? You're just trying to troll, aren't you? WoW is pretty bottom of the barrel. Sadly, almost all AAA MMOs since then have tried to emulate the bottom of the barrel status.

Seriously how can a phased, instanced, linear, world with useless NPCs and !!! over every quest, be immersive? It's not. It's arcadey.

.......another sandbox fan still crying that the game they think was the best ,never came anywhere close to being on wows level and is gone. please tell me what mmo is at the top of the barrel for good combat and an immersive world.

and tell me why wows combat sucks and how the world is not immersive

On top for being immersive? Old EverQuest, Vanguard, Darkfall, Eve. Even DAoC to some extent.

How is WoW not immersive? The instancing. The phasing. The instant teleporting into a dungeon with people you'll never see again. The floating icons over every NPC, showing that they're just useless sacks of quest text, not actual characters like NPCs in old MMOs were. Nothing is persistent. There's a GPS minimap that shows you where everything is and how to do every quest.

It feels like a game, not a virtual world. Some people like that, and that's fine. But don't try to pretend it's immersive, by any means. Real worlds don't having phasing or instances, or little isolated battlegrounds with a scoreboard, or useless filler quests.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Kalstark

Good combat, immersive world? You're just trying to troll, aren't you? WoW is pretty bottom of the barrel. Sadly, almost all AAA MMOs since then have tried to emulate the bottom of the barrel status.

Seriously how can a phased, instanced, linear, world with useless NPCs and !!! over every quest, be immersive? It's not. It's arcadey.

.......another sandbox fan still crying that the game they think was the best ,never came anywhere close to being on wows level and is gone. please tell me what mmo is at the top of the barrel for good combat and an immersive world.

and tell me why wows combat sucks and how the world is not immersive

On top for being immersive? Old EverQuest, Vanguard, Darkfall, Eve. Even DAoC to some extent.

How is WoW not immersive? The instancing. The phasing. The instant teleporting into a dungeon with people you'll never see again. The floating icons over every NPC, showing that they're just useless sacks of quest text, not actual characters like NPCs in old MMOs were. Nothing is persistent. There's a GPS minimap that shows you where everything is and how to do every quest.

It feels like a game, not a virtual world. Some people like that, and that's fine. But don't try to pretend it's immersive, by any means. Real worlds don't having phasing or instances, or little isolated battlegrounds with a scoreboard, or useless filler quests.

WoW is definitely immersive in some aspects.

It is certainly a virtual world, to argue that is foolish.  It has well developed lore and characters and places.  It blows games like rift and Tera out of the water in that aspect.

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I have to agree that nothing surpasses it...yet.  We will see what the years hold.  I have played a few MMOs and thought for sure that GW2 was going to be my new home...however, call it personal taste but the combat is just awful.  In WOW I actually feel like I am fighting and my moves have impact (again, this could just be personal taste).  I am glad I found WOW, even though I am years late to the game...still better than any of the other games I have tried.  In terms of immersion the only game that does it better is TSW.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

You sir are addicted, your vision isn't clear.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BroGamingPageBroGamingPage Member UncommonPosts: 492

I agree with you completely. However, I would say it's more than that. It's simply the community. I have stressed this over the past few years and can't stress it enough, the community really helps the game. If the game feels empty and no one is talking, yet you see everyone hacking and slashing, then the game has flaws. I'm sorry, but if I'm not talking to people while I play and grouping, why the hell is it considered an mmorpg? I consider it a game with co-op, lol. Honestly! WOW back in BETA was AMAZING, then it fell to the ground a year later. I remember back in beta the Alliance would raid the Crossroads on the horde side and we would have 10 vs 10 24/7 around that area. In fact I remember when beta was closing, we were pvping all around the crossroads. Then, it just fell short...open world pvp basically stopped. Now people have 350k health and it's just becoming a gear based game. Why can't games mix gear with talent? Gear matters but talent and skills matter just as much. WOW makes it too easy, that's the only problem, but other than that socially it's not a bad game. I think it's the ease of the game that makes it still pretty good.

I miss Asheron's Call, I just wonder when another game will come out like Asheron's Call? Where grouping really matters and it's open world groups killing open world bosses and you're required to group at times. I think games are going too much into the single player base and it's going to hurt them in the long run if they don't get the community back into their games. I'm also sick of seeing these Asian companies bring out hack and slash games every 2 weeks that look exactly the same. Then you have games coming out that look EXACTLY like WOW. When will a game come out like WOW that requires skill and relies on grouping to get you through certain parts. I remember back when Guild Wars 1 first came out, I LOVED IT. I would group with my Cleric and the story mode grouping was AWESOME. Even when you were in the open world you were pvping eachother and having fun. Now, Guild Wars 2 feels like it's a 1 player game. Now, I'm actually playing LOTRO and NEVERWINTER .....they are ok. LOTRO isn't bad because it does have SOME pvp, but it's really cool because they have housing and freaking playing music just like Final Fantasy....it's crazy. It's pretty neat to be honest, I haven't touched Neverwinter yet but my brother has been insisting I play with him, so I may try. Working 55 hours a week doesn't help my gaming, lol! :)

• nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

I agree OP. WoW is so polished now - it is very good. With Dungeon Finder, tons of content, BGs - all in all it is a good game experience. Compare to Lotro, say, where DF does not work at all, AH is terrible, combat is slow and bad, and even very good gaming rigs have performance issues. Rift is pretty good - but so much love and money has gone into WoW that things are designed better and WoW is a better game experience - at least for me.

What other game has something like Darkmoon fair - where I will go fishing with my level 19 twink for crates. So much extra to explore in WoW. The game and the laucher just work so well.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Thane

in general, you aren't too wrong, but:

@pandaren: they have actually been added in warcraft 3 i think. so, if you don't like the lore... it's you, not blizzard :P

@immersive world: try TSW. the world surely has alot more stuff to offer there, especially when doing investigativ missions

pandaren in WCIII were added as a single unit, one of several neutral heroes added to the game.  Were they a part of the lore ?  sure, a real small, tiny, rather insignificant part of it.  Nothing worth a WHOLE ENTIRE EXPANSION.  heck, they weren't even that popular in WC III.  The pandaren in WCIII was a drunken brawler, you know it was kind of a inside joke thing more than likely thunk up by some dev.  Heck, Blizz even used pandarens as a source of April fools day jokes.  accept the fact it was a desperate cash grab to lure in kids and the valuable eastern market.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by libraofdoom
    Eve Online

I'm subscribed right now. I literally just float in space then logout. It's way too slow to enjoy.

If you sit in a sandbox and don't play with the sand. *gasp* nothing happens.

You're too used to themeparks holding your hand.Think outside the box. Make your own fun..and you could find yourself enjoying EVE.

http://bravenewbies.org/wp/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

^^^^^^ this.