Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter vs GW2 which is better?

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Just try both and decide for yourself.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well to me the largest part of an mmorpg is the combat system. IMHO GW2 outshines Neverwinters by a long shot. 

Neverwinter is new and the world is exciting so far, the player content is a huge plus, but I would say overall GW2 is better.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by gigat

GW2 easily. I like Neverwinter for the simple and small, hack and slash dungeon crawler it is, but there just isn't comparing the two. GW2 is massive and deep, Neverwinter is small and simple ( but that doesn't mean it's bad). Everything Neverwinter does (PVE, PVP, story telling, crafting, etc.), GW2 does it too, and in most cases GW2 does it better.

The only things I like more about Neverwinter than GW2: playable dwarf race, and more defined trinity-type roles. Beyond that, GW2 is the clear winner for me.

Oh yeah, Neverwinter has the foundry. If you're in to player made content, then that's for you!

super deep, having the same skills from level 10 to level 80, made me quit at level 40, everyone plays the classes similar. neverwinter also only had like 6 buttons to press.

Made me quit both games even they are pretty polished. I don't understand why all upcomming mmo's have such a limited skillbar. If they want to limit something then delete all skills and make them like skyrim combat...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Vorch

I like strawberry more than vanilla. Chocolate sucks.

Subjective subject is subjective. Try both :D

I think your subjective is absolutely subjective.  BTW, chocolate rocks.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150

Am I the only person in the world to completely hate GW2's weapon swapping system? BURN ALL THE COOLDOWNS!

Plus the complete lack of customization that GW1 delievered was nowhere to be found in GW2. So sad. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I like Chocalate covered strawberries in vanilla custard.

I win !!!

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Better story ?

Well every 11 year old girl could write a better story then GW2 has. It really sucks hard.

However the gameplay of GW2 is good. Imho the best combat in all mmo. 

In the end it comes to what games has more and most fun content.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Apples and oranges, but I'll give it a shot for the sake of it.

I think NW is better at what it's intended to be. Easy to pick-up fast paced action combat MMO, which doesn't take itself too seriously. GW2 on the other hand supposed to be a serious contender to nr.1 place on MMORPG market and I feel it did not fully meet the expectations.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Neverwinter is better then Guild Wars 2
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

hello Mannish, still hating GW2 for lyfe eh?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

I dont like either game but if I had to play one it would be Nevewinter. image

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123

I dont like either game but if I had to play one it would be Nevewinter. image

could have just said yes.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    NW is not really a bad game, but GW2 is by far the better MMORPG in every aspect - better world (agree), better story (debatable maybe because it has an over-arching one even if it is poorly written), better combat (nah, maybe to some people but there are plenty of complaints / depends on if you like the trinity or not), better character development (toss up), better graphics (agree), better sound (agree) , more depth (toss up), better PvP (agree even if PvP is pointless), better PvE (Not so much, dungeons and group mechanics are much better in NW), better replayability (not at all, see the thousand threads of people that quit out of sheer boredom though content is added and there is no sub / NW has the foundry so there is a lot more potential there).

They are both good games, but are on opposite ends of the spectrum. GW2 is fun upfront but gets a little tedious (at least to me) in the long run. I am also not a real fan of the soft grouping mechanics. NW has much better dungeons and more of a carrot on a stick approach for those that like that. It also has a lot of potential with the foundry. One only has to look at the old Neverwinter Nights games to see what awesome content the community can create.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    GW2 was better overall, but Neverwinter is still alright.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

GW2 4da WIN! that's MY choice.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    So which of these 2 games is better? Which one has better story? Better combat? Better world? Also which one do you think will offer more depth and longer playability? Thanks and lets try to keep it civil.

They are clones.  This means they are exactly the same.

The one video that I have watched stated there wasn't much difference between the two.   NWN combat is a bit better if you want a real dodge mechanic.  This made it a bit more fast paced.  There are huge class balance problems with the game, but most games have this at the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5VTOVMRZQ&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=4

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

is this a serious thread?

was thinking the same...

Even without the cash shop shenanigans, GW2 is esily better in everything with one possible exception: player made content....which currently is being abused by the playerbase to create zones that award massive exp/hour or massive items/hour, so its a double edged sword.

NW has so many critical bugs its almost sad, and many of them involve the systems that deal directly or indirectly with real money, like the AH or the mail, so people are LOSING REAL MONEy due to the bugs, with no response or even acknowledgement from the devs so far

now, since this is a PWE game, it just isnt bad, it will STAY bad, and the monetization will become increasingly more malicious with time.

PWE games are white collar robbery.sadly for all the NW fans, this one is no exception

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by mari3k

Better story ?

Well every 11 year old girl could write a better story then GW2 has. It really sucks hard.

Agreed about the story telling. But that could be said for most MMOs out there.

In my opinion the best combat in an MMO still belongs to TERA (its one shining virtue). In terms of combat I'd say NW is slightly better than GW2 due to the holy trinity and because NW has higher requirements for player skill (reflexes, dodging).

Here is my ranking of action MMO combat:

Tera > NW / Vindictus > GW2 > Raiderz

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Inf666
    Originally posted by mari3k

Better story ?

Agreed about the story telling. But that could be said for most MMOs out there.

In my opinion the best combat in an MMO still belongs to TERA (its one shining virtue). In terms of combat I'd say NW is slightly better than GW2 due to the holy trinity and because NW has higher requirements for player skill (reflexes, dodging).

Here is my ranking of action MMO combat:

Tera > NW / Vindictus > GW2 > Raiderz

I actually found GW2 quite enjoyable, even though past you Race the Charr responses really didn't make sense as they are suppose to be a war like race.

However Neverwinter is downright autrocious.  No dpeth or immersion or impact or choices... just horrible.  I was expecting at least some sort of story and greater scheme of things but got absolutely nothing of that.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I like Chocalate covered strawberries in vanilla custard.

I win !!!

But but ....you win....:(

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Like someone said GW2 is polished and NW..yeah. NW is one of those F2P where they make sure you know its going to take REAL money to get anything. What bothers me is when a company suckers people into paying $200 for a game that all can see is no where near what it should have been.

Your hard pressed to find anyone saying "OMG that was the best $200 I ever spent!".

I mean come on its 2013 does ANYONE expect something good to be launched anymore? Like another new mmo coming out and 2mil to make it happen when we know it takes a good 30+mill to make a nice one.

Stop being taken in by some nice video. Take X-Plane, watch the video look at what they say is in the game you get. Wow looks awesome. You now go buy it and install 56g. The starting airport is very nice got planes taking off the air chat going crazy. The farther you go you see nothing is like the video. Almost no airports nothing like the video at all. 

This is what alot of mmos do now. They show you a cute video promise to make AWESOME changes and YOU..yes YOU could the one standing out for $200 you can have what most will only dream of.

So yes GW2 is better..hehe.. NW is fun just going to take a few years to polish it but as you play you see its already looks dated. I did notice some settings in INI that you cant turn on in game. This helps a little.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by furbans

I actually found GW2 quite enjoyable, even though past you Race the Charr responses really didn't make sense as they are suppose to be a war like race.

However Neverwinter is downright autrocious.  No dpeth or immersion or impact or choices... just horrible.  I was expecting at least some sort of story and greater scheme of things but got absolutely nothing of that.

Yes, I also enjoyed leveling my char in GW2. After getting to max level and crafting my exotic gear I lost interest. There was nothing left to do.

As for NW: I am playing a cleric and am still level 30 (of 60). On first glance the skill system appears simple but there really is some depth. The amount of skills you have and can use is quite low but the feat choices drastically changes your playstyle. In comparison I'd say the amount of choices of GW2 and NW seems similar.

What GW2 does a lot better is hide the cash shop. NW is just horrible in this regard. The game is designed in such a way that you either pay up now and get everything or grind for months if not years. You also see reminders to buy in the cash shop virtually everywhere. Add to that about 7 different ingame currencies and the chaos is perfect. It's the ideal setup to scam naive players (nightmare boxes anyone?).

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The cash shop in GW2 can be more or less be ignored by those that dislike them. The one in NW can't.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    So which of these 2 games is better? Which one has better story? Better combat? Better world? Also which one do you think will offer more depth and longer playability? Thanks and lets try to keep it civil.

They are clones.  This means they are exactly the same.

The one video that I have watched stated there wasn't much difference between the two.   NWN combat is a bit better if you want a real dodge mechanic.  This made it a bit more fast paced.  There are huge class balance problems with the game, but most games have this at the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL5VTOVMRZQ&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=4

Remember that GW2 has a very effective dodge system as well. I'm not sure it should be used in this comparison. 

I have played both and GW2 has superior combat imho.  Overall I am sticking with GW2 as a better game. I do love the foundry system in Neverwinter and if anything keeps me playing it is that!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.