Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's amazing how 9 years later WoW is still the only evenly executed MMO

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss
    Originally posted by libraofdoom
    Eve Online

I'm subscribed right now. I literally just float in space then logout. It's way too slow to enjoy.

just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean other people don't.

It lasted for 10 years and it's still doing fine for a reason.

Floating around in space won't get you far with this game, take some initiative and you'll see how doors start to open up for you.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    Originally posted by botrytis

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

Most even? I guess you never played at the beginning. For 3 months no one could log in and it was so laggy to be the point of obscene. WoW was NOT polished at the beginning - GW1 had a much better launch than WoW.

Also when the Lich King come out - so many people complained I thought it was a different game

Rose coloured glasses really doesn't change history.

i love how u say nothing changes history and then tell lies. u either never played or one of those people who bitch about "wow was only good in vanilla or BC" do something better with your time its pathetic

I played Vanilla WoW at the beginning and was a closed beta tester. YES, I was there - I had a 6 month sub and left because I could never get in.

Please grow up.

• d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219
    IDK i honestly didn't like wow so i only made lvl 20 back when it came out i was the EQ1-2 guy that's besides the point to me i feel everyone on this site are just chasing there first feeling which you guys will never get you say bring something new? how can you make something new when so much has been done? it's like chasing that high that first high willnever be the same just like how your first mmo experience willnever be the same either stop bitching or quit the genre plain and simple if you think you can do better than get someloans and make an mmo yourself and see if it does well maybe one day the genre will change for the better
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by d00fbysancho
    IDK i honestly didn't like wow so i only made lvl 20 back when it came out i was the EQ1-2 guy that's besides the point to me i feel everyone on this site are just chasing there first feeling which you guys will never get you say bring something new? how can you make something new when so much has been done? it's like chasing that high that first high willnever be the same just like how your first mmo experience willnever be the same either stop bitching or quit the genre plain and simple if you think you can do better than get someloans and make an mmo yourself and see if it does well maybe one day the genre will change for the better

its hard to argue this point cause it is true, you will never get that filling agian.

for me im more looking for a new home then the next grest thing dousnt have to be the best game out there just one i fill comfteble in and can play without getting a filling of why am i doing tihs.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

in general, you aren't too wrong, but:

@pandaren: they have actually been added in warcraft 3 i think. so, if you don't like the lore... it's you, not blizzard :P

@immersive world: try TSW. the world surely has alot more stuff to offer there, especially when doing investigativ missions

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63

Most even? I guess you never played at the beginning. For 3 months no one could log in and it was so laggy to be the point of obscene. WoW was NOT polished at the beginning - GW1 had a much better launch than WoW.

Also when the Lich King come out - so many people complained I thought it was a different game

i love how u say nothing changes history and then tell lies. u either never played or one of those people who bitch about "wow was only good in vanilla or BC" do something better with your time its pathetic

I played Vanilla WoW at the beginning and was a closed beta tester. YES, I was there - I had a 6 month sub and left because I could never get in.

Please grow up.

so you never played wotlk but your still complaining about it. please grow up and do something better with your time

Kalstark, were you there?

I was playing WOW ever since it came out and launch was AWFUL, I remember we gathered up at my friends internet caffe after closing time to play it together somewhere in the week of launch.. You know what we did that day? Talked about lagg and mostly waited for lag to get back to normal... Not to mention the whole launch month was awful and it was laggy as hell, queu was full and you had to wait for hours every day to get in (pretty much like every wow expansion launch, but multiply it by,let's say, 5)..

I stopped playing wow few months after cataclysm and I think that the game was nothing like vanilla or BC.

Did you know we had no flight points at release? :D

I don't see anything false in his post. Where is he lieing?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Eve Online

I'm subscribed right now. I literally just float in space then logout. It's way too slow to enjoy.

just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean other people don't.

It lasted for 10 years and it's still doing fine for a reason.

Floating around in space won't get you far with this game, take some initiative and you'll see how doors start to open up for you.

Agreed. Taking my 6-yr old son on his first mission today. We fully plan to get ourselves into PVP by evening. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I hope you realize that Gw2's maximum level is 80. Talking about endgame at lv 60 is a joke and I will not take your thread seriously.... Not to mention that you don't recognize Gw2 for what it is and how it's combat is light years ahead of WoW. The combat ... the thing you are doing the whole time in a MMO

I have a level 80 Engineer. I was merely stating that starting at 60 the game began to show its weaknesses which would lead to me quitting within a week of hitting 80.

By the way, I will argue to the grave that GW2's combat is awful. You use so few abilities and they aren't enjoyable to use. It's like it wanted to be like League of Legends but didn't know how.

Originally posted by brinagh75

What people keep failing to realize is you are trying to compare games just coming out with a game in its current state after 9 years of updates and expansions etc.    What you really need to do is compare the games in the same situation.    WoW when it first came out was not polished there was not end game.  

I remember beginning WoW.   I remember mining and getting when trying to loot a node and having to go kill something and loot the body in order to resume mining.

I remember first capping my character and running "end game"    End game consisted of Scholomance, UBRS and Stratholm.   These were 10 man dungeons at that time.   I remember when they then launched the next set of gear and having to run Speed Baron runs to hopefully get the next greatest gear.

I remember that there were no Battlegrounds at the beginning.

So when a new game comes out, I do not compare it to how WoW is today.   Instead I compare it to WoW day one.   If it is comparable or better, then you can realize how much that game can grow.   

The problem is people with how many new games are getting launched, everyone is expecting the games to be WoW after 9 years of development rather than WoW at launch.    Games are not given time to grow and develop.   Developers have to launch everything right away in order to keep a subscription base.

I don't care about content, I want a polished presentation with fun gameplay. Nothing has provided that since WoW. They all have severe gameplay issues.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

I'm with the crowd that states your first MMO will be the only one you'll ever truly love. I played some small asian MMOs before but WoW was my first real one. I played it in beta, and I think the first 3 years or so after release. Came back a few time, it was always special and fun.

Since it was out, I tried everything. I didn't like Warhammer, Conan lacked content and polish, RIFT felt like a carbon copy with only invasions being fun. Aion was a grindfest, SW:TOR was identical to WoW and a 5-year leap backwards for me. TERA had horrible questing, EVE was like playing Excel with pretty graphics. I then set all my hope on Guild Wars 2, and while that was fun, once I had 2 characters at 80 I just failed to find reasons to log in.

Every 6 months or so I find myself back at this site, browsing through upcoming releases. I get really excited about something that sounds very promising, with great innovation new features and mindblowing fun. I order it, play it and like it, then about a month in I just stop as it falls flat in various ways.

I think I'm just done with MMOs, but my brain isn't willing to admit it yet.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    definitely the first MMO you truly immerse yourself in will be "the one" to you. not always first one chronologically played, because if you played kesmai or Ac is a young kid you probably got ganekd beyoned belief and didn't really get into it and feel accomplished. but many people were able to fully enjoy and experience WoW's PVE and PVP systems to the fullest and get involved deeply in the community...it's their momma duck. 
    I hope you realize that Gw2's maximum level is 80. Talking about endgame at lv 60 is a joke and I will not take your thread seriously.... Not to mention that you don't recognize Gw2 for what it is and how it's combat is light years ahead of WoW. The combat ... the thing you are doing the whole time in a MMO

I have a level 80 Engineer. I was merely stating that starting at 60 the game began to show its weaknesses which would lead to me quitting within a week of hitting 80.

By the way, I will argue to the grave that GW2's combat is awful. You use so few abilities and they aren't enjoyable to use. It's like it wanted to be like League of Legends but didn't know how.

WOW combat is really dull and old and you aren't really moving as you could.

I'm not saying the combat is bad, it's good - for it's time.

GW2 combat is alot better and it actually gives you the peace of action. I'm not talking about trinity system here, I'm talking about combat.

• ErythrocyteErythrocyte Member Posts: 103
    Best MMO I've played since is probably Minecraft.  I played SWG and DDO for a decent amount of time each (and many others on a least a trial), but yeah, here I am again playing WoW and Minecraft.  I realize Minecraft isn't a MMO really, and it's a completely different thing, but for those who can get past the graphics, it's definitely what many MMOs should aspire to be in terms of it's sandbox elements.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift after storm legion launch to me is a superior game in every aspect that matters to me. Just my opinion.

It s funny how people are so different. My wife and I were all about Rift for at least a year. We were excited as hell for the x pac. Then it hit, and we don t like it at all. I found the class changes before SL a joke, then SL itself just not that exciting at all.

Rift should have learned from EQ2, how to do x pacs, IMO.

You mean take an update and sell it as a $60 expansion.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Eve Online

I think its offensive to even call it an MMO. It could be cool, but MUDS bore the living piss out of me, I'd rather go outside and play with a stick and a hoop.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I'm just gonna say "lol"

• free4gabfree4gab Member Posts: 12
    Quick question was WOW your first MMO? If so thats the Problem ! Wow was a great MMO that got me started playing MMO's but i started comparing other MMO's to WOW.The moment i stoped doing that i started to see things diffrent.I like MMo's that make you think that does not have the ''care bear approach" . Their will always be someone that will hate a MMO such as the secretworld most people hate that MMO but i love it cause it doesn't hold your hand the missions are just flat out hard later on esp investigation missions. 
    Originally posted by free4gab
    Quick question was WOW your first MMO? If so thats the Problem ! Wow was a great MMO that got me started playing MMO's but i started comparing other MMO's to WOW.The moment i stoped doing that i started to see things diffrent.I like MMo's that make you think that does not have the ''care bear approach" . Their will always be someone that will hate a MMO such as the secretworld most people hate that MMO but i love it cause it doesn't hold your hand the missions are just flat out hard later on esp investigation missions. 

he claims it was not his first MMO, but it was very, very, very clearly the first MMO he succeeded in or became immersed in in any way. he played priston tale and lineage, likely extremely apathetic to them or either could not get into them and shortly quit on account of grind, ganking, UI, playability or something like that.

Wow was his first time getting to home base, that's for sure.

Originally posted by Isometrix

I'm with the crowd that states your first MMO will be the only one you'll ever truly love. I played some small asian MMOs before but WoW was my first real one. I played it in beta, and I think the first 3 years or so after release. Came back a few time, it was always special and fun.

My first true MMO was Final Fantasy XI. Although I have fond memories of exploring its world and playing with others it isn't even close to touching how much I loved WoW, a game I didn't play until more than a year and a half later.

In other words, your hypothesis isn't true. :(

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

You used an engineer and had too few abilities?

yea, OK.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by duggyfr3sh123
    Originally posted by free4gab

he claims it was not his first MMO, but it was very, very, very clearly the first MMO he succeeded in or became immersed in in any way. he played priston tale and lineage, likely extremely apathetic to them or either could not get into them and shortly quit on account of grind, ganking, UI, playability or something like that.

Wow was his first time getting to home base, that's for sure.

I had a maximum level character with great items in Final Fantasy XI. WoW just did so much to break the barrier between my experience and having fun. Most games appear to try and put a wall between you and your enjoyment.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by David_Lopan
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Sanctuaryy

It's amazing wow isn't "popular on this site" as you say. 

Whatever, I only played WoW about 6 months total and I'll say it.

I love WoW!  Sure I don't play it today and I never reached level cap.

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

Finally! A couple of people who get it.

There is hope for the MMORPG community yet.

Originally posted by Isometrix

My first true MMO was Final Fantasy XI. Although I have fond memories of exploring its world and playing with others it isn't even close to touching how much I loved WoW, a game I didn't play until more than a year and a half later.

In other words, your hypothesis isn't true. :(

you clearly got deeper into WoW's eldergames than FFXI though. it is far more accessible.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

It's amazing how 9 years later WoW fans think their MMO is the only good MMO.

See what I did there?

Having the most customers or making the most money does not mean you have the best product.  It just means you were able to get the most money or customers.