Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's amazing how 9 years later WoW is still the only evenly executed MMO

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    These are only yooooour oppinions .. you can think that wow is the best mmo out there, etc. But there are thousands or milions who hate wow and think its the worst mmo. So yea ... there are pretty decent mmorpgs out there either you think or dont .
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by David_Lopan
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

Two-line sigs are awkward. /sadface

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Wow is a very good game. I m subbed to it now, along with EQ2, which I feel is the best game, with Wow a close second.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Wow is a good game. Not great. Just good, imo.

It just came out during a time where almost no MMOs where on the market and few people considered playing MMOs. It then came out with an aggressive ad campaign, got people hooked, and people can not get away from time invested for very long.

Honestly, over the last 9 or so years, I believe that quite a few MMOs better than WoW. The issue is that you would essentially have to uproot people from their homes AND charge them 15 bucks a month. That is extremely difficult.

I really don't care if people play WoW or not. If you haven't stopped playing WoW after 9 years, there's little that can be done to pull you away now. Just don't go to other games for 3 weeks and say "WoW is successful, so you should add this from WoW."

WoW's timing and marketing has much more to do with its success than its quality and frequency of updates.

And with GW2, TERA, Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, etc...you are VERY ingrained in WoW's combat to think it's the best.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by Vorch

Wow is a good game. Not great. Just good, imo.

It just came out during a time where almost no MMOs where on the market and few people considered playing MMOs. It then came out with an aggressive ad campaign, got people hooked, and people can not get away from time invested for very long.

Honestly, over the last 9 or so years, I believe that quite a few MMOs better than WoW. The issue is that you would essentially have to uproot people from their homes AND charge them 15 bucks a month. That is extremely difficult.

I really don't care if people play WoW or not. If you haven't stopped playing WoW after 9 years, there's little that can be done to pull you away now. Just don't go to other games for 3 weeks and say "WoW is successful, so you should add this from WoW."

WoW's timing and marketing has much more to do with its success than its quality and frequency of updates.

And with GW2, TERA, Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, etc...you are VERY ingrained in WoW's combat to think it's the best.

I can agree with it s timing and marketing, but bringing up combat. Just because you prefer those styles, theres many, and I m willing to bet alot more, that prefer WoWs style combat, then the games you ve mentioned.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Hey op..  I think Wildstar might be the thing you're looking for.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

You realize the reason after 9 years it is "complete" is because it's been around for 9 years with huge budget behind it? I mean, expecting a fresh MMO or even a year old MMO to have same amount of content and same content distribution is simply delusional and/or naive. 

Do you remember WoW when it launched? Do you remember the buggy instances? The skills not working properly? MC being uncompelteable due to issues with Ragnaros? Lack f battlegrounds or any PvP incentive systems? The loot bug that persisted till few months into TBC? All the issues with AQ?

It's easy to remember good things about a game you spent lot of time with, but I played WoW for several years, since it's start and I also remember all the bad things that happned there. 9 years is a lot of time to polish things up. 

Originally posted by DMKano

Rift after storm legion launch to me is a superior game in every aspect that matters to me. Just my opinion.

It s funny how people are so different. My wife and I were all about Rift for at least a year. We were excited as hell for the x pac. Then it hit, and we don t like it at all. I found the class changes before SL a joke, then SL itself just not that exciting at all.

Rift should have learned from EQ2, how to do x pacs, IMO.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss
    Yeah. I'd say Rift is the best MMO since WoW. Unfortunately, it reminds me too much of it and while several people I know play WoW, none play Rift. You can't even find people streaming it on Twitch because it is so unpopular.

Sadly enough thats the thing with WoW, its very well known not to mention it's very commercialize through TV ads and etc. With Rift however, it got sooo much potential, the publisher and developer are just soo supportive, unlike Blizzards >:(.

• NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I too agree that WoW is by far the most polished game in the genre, and I agree that the combat is the best example of tab targetting that I have come across, however I just can't agree on the world being immersive...at least not anymore. Maybe back in the days before you could fly everywhere and clear a zone without really seeing it or running into anyone...or before the scourge of quest helpers where an arrow and big blue circle will tell you EXACTLY where to go and what to do. Nowadays (and I suppose even in vanilla to a much smaller extent) WoW is completely static and lifeless out in the open world, with the only changes coming because a patch or a dev says so. You have no impact on the world whatsoever, short of sticking Onyxias head on a pike in Org. Large and mostly seamless...yes. Immersive? I don't think so

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    I hope you realize that Gw2's maximum level is 80. Talking about endgame at lv 60 is a joke and I will not take your thread seriously.... Not to mention that you don't recognize Gw2 for what it is and how it's combat is light years ahead of WoW. The combat ... the thing you are doing the whole time in a MMO
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    There are numerous MMOs that have been executed very well.  People seem to forget or were not even around for WoW's launch days.  People expect new MMOs to have WoW's tycoon success and polish off the bat that took WoW many years to achieve.
  • NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by furbans
    There are numerous MMOs that have been executed very well.  People seem to forget or were not even around for WoW's launch days.  People expect new MMOs to have WoW's tycoon success and polish off the bat that took WoW many years to achieve.

I do expect new MMO's to have WoW's level of polish...absolutely! Or at least be very very close! Anyone making an MMO now to compete directly with  WoW as a themepark has the blueprint right there for them. A clear standard that they can see and play RIGHT NOW that they have to live up to. What should we expect?  A new MMO to take 9 years to get to where WoW is today? To release at a lower standard than Warcraft should not happen...that games features are there for all to see and have been for years, and for games to come out today massively lacking is criminal!

• brinagh75brinagh75 Member Posts: 9

What people keep failing to realize is you are trying to compare games just coming out with a game in its current state after 9 years of updates and expansions etc.    What you really need to do is compare the games in the same situation.    WoW when it first came out was not polished there was not end game.  

I remember beginning WoW.   I remember mining and getting when trying to loot a node and having to go kill something and loot the body in order to resume mining.

I remember first capping my character and running "end game"    End game consisted of Scholomance, UBRS and Stratholm.   These were 10 man dungeons at that time.   I remember when they then launched the next set of gear and having to run Speed Baron runs to hopefully get the next greatest gear.

I remember that there were no Battlegrounds at the beginning.

So when a new game comes out, I do not compare it to how WoW is today.   Instead I compare it to WoW day one.   If it is comparable or better, then you can realize how much that game can grow.   

The problem is people with how many new games are getting launched, everyone is expecting the games to be WoW after 9 years of development rather than WoW at launch.    Games are not given time to grow and develop.   Developers have to launch everything right away in order to keep a subscription base.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    I hope you realize that Gw2's maximum level is 80. Talking about endgame at lv 60 is a joke and I will not take your thread seriously.... Not to mention that you don't recognize Gw2 for what it is and how it's combat is light years ahead of WoW. The combat ... the thing you are doing the whole time in a MMO

Personally, I find WoW's combat to be more complex and fun than GW2's shitty system. I can't really explain it, but it just feels more satisfying.

I still think GW2 is a huge fail compared to what it was supposed to be with all the hype.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Good coding, good producers, and the idea to release a product when its ready as opposed to being rushed goes a LONG way in the mmorpg community.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I compare MMO's to wow, I have to since it has set a standard that unless fulfilled I find it very difficult to enjoy.

Now it has nothing to do with number of dungeons, raids, levels or how long it takes to reach there etc IE "content".

But instead it has to do with the look and feel of the game in general, combat, does it feel responsive? Does my attacks have any weight to them at all? The world, does the enviornment look good and "beliavable", immersive? Characters your own and everything else do they look good, consistent with the world, behave (animate) beliavbly etc? Things like that.

In short is the world immersive or not, most mmo's I would have to simply say no there's usually something very off with them (neverwinter for example the characters just feel weird and the block/dodge feels rather unresponsive), WoW and GW2 are the only mmo's i can really say could pull me in on this level.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Good combat, immersive world? You're just trying to troll, aren't you? WoW is pretty bottom of the barrel. Sadly, almost all AAA MMOs since then have tried to emulate the bottom of the barrel status.

Seriously how can a phased, instanced, linear, world with useless NPCs and !!! over every quest, be immersive? It's not. It's arcadey.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

Most even? I guess you never played at the beginning. For 3 months no one could log in and it was so laggy to be the point of obscene. WoW was NOT polished at the beginning - GW1 had a much better launch than WoW.

Also when the Lich King come out - so many people complained I thought it was a different game

Rose coloured glasses really doesn't change history.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by sethman75

Man i went back to WoW last week after a time away and it really has aged badly.

I tried every class i had not yet maxxed from scratch and they tinkered with it so much they are all the same and very boring.

The static quests are garbage, lore barely existant, graphics are aging badly.

I think the WoW killer has arrived, the thing that finally killed it is time.

No lore i guess your one of those that dont read quest text and just skip everthing , when i played MOP when it launched   graphics seem fine dont like stylised fine .

Am not sure you actually played the game i dont play wow atm am a Lotro player but i dont say lies about it .

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Sanctuaryy

It's amazing wow isn't "popular on this site" as you say. 

Whatever, I only played WoW about 6 months total and I'll say it.

I love WoW!  Sure I don't play it today and I never reached level cap.

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

this is the site where people who are apparently the only "real mmo fans" spend there time not playing mmo's and talking about how everything is too much like wow. not subbed right now cuz  my computer is messed up but WoW is the best mmo ever made. played eq on ps2 and it was awesome. ff11 was cool but didnt get far in it. rift is another great game idk why its not more popular. gw2 is awesome as well.swtor was amazing but its true its hard to enjoy it if you make more than one character they should of made more planets. theres alot of good mmo's out there but WoW will always be on top cuz its the best game and people have put alot of time into their characters and theres new content all the time.theres no way theres another mmo out now or in the past thats better than wow. subs arent everything but when you have a number as high as wow does its for a reason. and u can say like every1 here does that "justin beiber has alot of views or watever dumb bull shit u want to say but elvis, 50 cent, B.I.G and sublime have alot of fans too. unfortunatly all people on this site do is talk about how swg is the best and that wow is for kids and all themeparks suck. and then a sandbox comes out and they all bitch and complain that its horrible. but this is the way its ganna stay cuz the only downside of the internet is that it lets idiots spread their dumbass ideas to other idiots and repeats itself. and unless ur computer isnt letting u play the game u want no1 is ganna say anything cuz there too busy having fun with the stuff there complaining about.

Originally posted by botrytis

Most even? I guess you never played at the beginning. For 3 months no one could log in and it was so laggy to be the point of obscene. WoW was NOT polished at the beginning - GW1 had a much better launch than WoW.

Also when the Lich King come out - so many people complained I thought it was a different game

Rose coloured glasses really doesn't change history.

i love how u say nothing changes history and then tell lies. u either never played or one of those people who bitch about "wow was only good in vanilla or BC" do something better with your time its pathetic

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Yeah, go to Eve if you want scammed. Rift was and is probably the last of the "real" MMORPGs out there but sadly it is very empty, the rest are MMO-supermarios like GW2 or F2P and full of free-loading scum.

Wildstar looked good, till it had the arcade combat crap, so the only hope is ArcheAge, let's hope Trion doesn't fuck it up!

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Good combat, immersive world? You're just trying to troll, aren't you? WoW is pretty bottom of the barrel. Sadly, almost all AAA MMOs since then have tried to emulate the bottom of the barrel status.

Seriously how can a phased, instanced, linear, world with useless NPCs and !!! over every quest, be immersive? It's not. It's arcadey.

.......another sandbox fan still crying that the game they think was the best ,never came anywhere close to being on wows level and is gone. please tell me what mmo is at the top of the barrel for good combat and an immersive world. jesus you even called him a troll as u trolled, u can not make this stuff up. someone please tell me another mmo site that doesnt have people like this. a site where when people dont like a game, they dont comment on it all day and everytime they see the name.a site where people actually listen to facts and know if a game just isnt there cup of tea and they thought it would be, theyll tell you why without trolling and actually offering people help who are undecided about getting it. and a site where the staff doesnt ban the poeple who troll but bans the people who calls the trolls out on there bullshit

and tell me why wows combat sucks and how the world is not immersive

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    someone please tell me another mmo site that doesnt have people like this.

Hello Kitty Online? ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!