Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The First Western Triple A Free to Play MMORPG

TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I have a friend who works at Perfect World who told me as of Saturday, they have made 6 million dollars in sales.  Thats 6 million dollars in less then a week.

This is the first Western Triple A free to play MMORPG and its proving to be a huge success thus far.  Yeah, yeah, I know Perfect World is a Chinese Company, but Cryptic was the studio behind the game.

I think this marks the beginning of a new chapter in the history of MMORPGs - where free to play is officially the future.  Love it or hate it, Pay to Play is going to slowly fade away.

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Call be dubious but I find 6 mill profit hardly feasable.  I doubt people have spent 6 million dollars on the Zen store and hearsay is hardly substantial and can be nothing more that a fan spouting false coodoos in an attempt to hype their game.  Until they make an official announcement then it didn't happen.

Also I would hardly call this a AAA MMO and hardly the first, there are a number of other AAA MMOs if you consider this a AAA that are F2P.

• AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43

Because more money equals success.  There will always be change so although many may adopt FTP, there may be a another under the radar game that has a different model and that's where I will be.  Sacrificing integrity for more money is not somewhere I want to be.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by furbans

Call be dubious but I find 6 mill profit hardly feasable.  I doubt people have spent 6 million dollars on the Zen store and hearsay is hardly substantial and can be nothing more that a fan spouting false coodoos in an attempt to hype their game.  Until they make an official announcement then it didn't happen.

Also I would hardly call this a AAA MMO and hardly the first, there are a number of other AAA MMOs if you consider this a AAA that are F2P.

It's totally feasable. That's $30 each for 200,000 people and we know plenty will have spent a LOT more than $30. We already know tons bought the founders packs as well.

I think they meant the first western AAA to 'launch' as FTP.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Making any game free to play isn't enuff (crappy speller, no spell check) the game has to make you WANT to play it, WANT to spend cash for useful items, not gear but fun things like extra classes, wardrobe options and other services.  Cryptic games do this well, they may have already paid for themselves for Perfect World.  Before this STO was their highest performer.   It also helps the 4th ed DnD ws built around an MMO mindset.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by GodEmperorWAAAGH
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I have a friend who works at Perfect World who told me as of Saturday, they have made 6 million dollars in sales.  Thats 6 million dollars in less then a week.

This is the first Western Triple A free to play MMORPG and its proving to be a huge success thus far.  Yeah, yeah, I know Perfect World is a Chinese Company, but Cryptic was the studio behind the game.

I think this marks the beginning of a new chapter in the history of MMORPGs - where free to play is officially the future.  Love it or hate it, Pay to Play is going to slowly fade away.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit] I'm pretty curious about this information. If you're too busy to elucidate, then could you give me some links to verified data or research so I can start educating myself? I'm eagerly awaiting your response. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit] I'm pretty curious about this information. If you're too busy to elucidate, then could you give me some links to verified data or research so I can start educating myself? I'm eagerly awaiting your response. 

without being privy to insider information that isnt really possible, but, in terms of the MMO's themselves, i'd also find it hard to believe some unsubstantiated statements that are made by anyone who just 'happens to be a fan' of a particular game, and given the current ambivalency surrounding Neverwinter, i can only assume its also there to try and 'remind' people the game exists, i would be very surprised though, if Cryptic/PW did release some kind of official figures for the game, both player numbers, or those related to the cash shop useage, just because someones uncles best friends cousin's sister in law's neighbours aunty just 'says so' is... a little dubious.. and unlikely to be taken seriously image

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

YOU BLEW IT!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Haha, very true - and normally I wouldn't even believe somebody online who says 'I heard from my friend....' 

But.. Thats exactly what happened.  Believe what you want.

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    6 million is pretty much 30,000 Hero of the North sales... so 6 million seems fairly easy to do for this studio... not to mention all the zen sales...
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Considering Nexon's maplestory made less than 20 million from their NA consumer base in 2010 ( I think it was that year).   I find it hard to believe that NWN has made that much in a week from cash shop sales.   That isn't to say it can't be true, but another person mentioned founder packs and that sounds alot like a " box price ".   If this is essentially what it is, then it shouldn't be surprising that they made that much already.   I would be willing to bet that GW2 made 50 mil+ in its first week and that seems like an apple to apple comparison.  

IMHO just about any new released game will see a huge influx of revenue.  It is the cash flow that comes after the first month that is important.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

There's this thing called Google, you type in what you're looking for and tons of information pops up! Amazing right? Well, if you want to learn something you go through all the information you can find and you can learn quite a bit about the subject you choose.

lol You seriously don't know how to self educate, or do I just have a gifted mind like my teachers used to say when they were trying to manipulate me?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190679/Social_games_decline_is_holding_digital_market_back__report.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

I found that one pretty interesting. 

http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/07/13/free-to-play-mmo-revenues-increase/

There's another interesting one. [mod edit]

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/190679/Social_games_decline_is_holding_digital_market_back__report.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

There's another interesting one. [mod edit]

Whats funny (but also sad) is, you take away WoW's sub numbers and those numbers for Pay to Play revenue would take a MASSIVE nose dive.  Many people on this site hate WoW but WoW is infact the last shining champion of subscription based MMORPGs.

I prefer the Pay to Play model over free to play [mod edit]

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    I would just like to point out that 6 million dollars in the world of video games is nothing.  And no where near enough money to qualify this as a Triple A title.  Remember Triple A refers soley to production values, not the overall enjoyment factor of the game.  Getting back to the 6 million dollars, say this was a pay to play game.  With average cost being 60 dollars a game, that would mean the game would have sold 100,000 units.  For a triple A title day one sales of this number would be considered a catastrophic failure.  That being said, yes i understand it's still "open beta", but I think it's safe to say the majority of people that have any interest in the game have already downloaded it.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

6 million for an opening week of a big name mmo with almost nothing else launching before it in the last 4 or 5 months ? Not really a big surprise and not huge numbers like some ppl are making it out to be.

Most of the indusrty is based off the 3-4 month game hoppers. So timing it so they're all bored and looking for something new was a good move on cryptics part ( pw ) 

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Games great, you have nothing to lose by trying it.  [mod edit]
  • synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

there have been a bunch of F2P games that started out pretty decent but some where down the road people started getting greedy and went from a fairly balanced game to a P2W game. I guess when the "newness" of a game wears off and the huge influx of money starts tapering off is when games start seeing more patches that implement new cash shop items rather than content.

Will this happen in NWN? who knows. I'm just speaking from what I've noticed in F2P games over the years.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Good on them if that is true.

They have created a fantastic game that is fun to play but most importantly does not require any cash purchases to enjoy and progress.

If people feel like they have to spend money, that's up to them but by no means is it required.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

There's another interesting one. Also, you are definitely taking out of your ass. Your post led me to believe you had some insight on the monetization of MMO's, but in really all you have is your gut feeling and opinion. Feel free to prove otherwise, but I'm pretty certain you're still talking out of your ass. 

Superdata is using Multiplayer Online as a definition for MMO, which makes both LoL and World of tanks MMO's in those stats.

The first article even says "SuperData says that newer titles like Hawken, Strike Suit Zero and MechWarrior Online are helping the overall MMO market to maintain its health."

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    F2P, P2P, didn't change the fact that standard theme park MMOs are a design that I'm tired of, no matter how many of the rest of you continue to play then.

I still see this title as yet another gear grinding dungeon crawler.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

6 million is not much money, but then again the game is not aaa class.

I played for a few days with friends but now we have all left the game, i cannot foresee myself ever logging in again.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Haha, very true - and normally I wouldn't even believe somebody online who says 'I heard from my friend....' 

But.. Thats exactly what happened.  Believe what you want.

Hope your "friend" doesn't get fired by providing those numbers, unless it's a official statement from Perfect World. Of course nothing wrong with your "friend"  telling you but it shouldn't be info you (OP) should share with others.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

bland is the future.

Fresh ideas go to the back of the line please..

So, since this website is a forum for MMORPG discussion, tell me how i'm wrong.  Tell me how the recent trends in MMORPGS and MMOs in general DO NOT point to free to play becoming the preferred method for publishers and developers.

The simplest reason is over saturation. WoW becoming a mainstream MMO that everyone plays caught the attention of other businesses that wanted to make money too, like the gold rush, so they started pumping out WoW clone after WoW clone to try and get some of that money, but they all kept failing because people kept going back to WoW, so they started trying F2P which worked to increase profits because you don't have to spend as much time and money on it because it's F2P, and people will pay more than the normal sub fees to play it because they are stupid, so you end up making a much bigger profit than before.

'Over saturation' has been happening for a long time. The mmorpg genre is going to continue to grow like it has been the last decade.    Look at the gamelist on this site. The biggest change is that developers are actually trying to make quality games but use the free to play model.  Furthermore, you even admit that 'you end up making a much bigger profit than before' with F2P capitalizing on what you think is people's stupidity.  Maybe it is people stupidity, maybe it isn't - but you know who doesn't care?  The company getting rich off of the paying customer.

But now like before with the WoW clones getting pumped out, F2P games are getting pumped out and there's starting to be too many of them, and like that new British TV show, the zombies are starting to become self aware and speaking out against the F2P scam and the zombies such as yourself  that ignorantly promote it.

Too many of them?  The MORE games being pumped out, the better for the customers (us players) because it increases competitiveness and a competitive market is ALWAYS better for the customer.  This is basic economics.  It also means the companies have to work harder to get our money AND it also tends to have the quality products rise to the top.  I'm just going to ignore your zombie and robot comments because i'm not really sure you even believe in your argument anymore.

I'm bad with words, so here is basically the same thing I'm talking about. lol

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/13/mark-jacobs-on-the-coming-f2p-apocalypse/

Or this comparison.

"I don't get why you would defend this payment model unless you are a freeloader or you hold some stock in a F2P company.

F2P is only good for the company and the freeloaders, the actual players are getting robbed.

Basically with subs you're paying to be part of a Country Club that has everything you need included in the monthly price. You're paying for a garanteed quality experience with subs.

With F2P you're sitting in a run down park in the projects waiting to get robed and there's drug dealers everywhere spamming to sell you gold, and the cops don't bother to come and ban them because they would only be back a few hrs later. 

It is really disturbing that anyone would actually defend getting ripped off like it is somehow good."

I currently prefer sub based mmorpgs over free to play.  No mistake about that.  I like the fact that I can get whatever I want in game as long as I pay my 15 bucks a month.  I hate the concept of 'pay to win'.  But guess what - people are MUCH more willing to try a free product over a product that cost money. 

On top of that, a lot of people (not me personally) feel frustrated with the subscription model because they think that time not played is money wasted.  Even some of my friends who are mmo vets say they feel obligated to play when they spend money every month on a sub.  And once those people start playing those free to play games, they get into it, they start to enjoy themselves, then they decide spending a few dollars here or there is perfectly okay. 

You also have the people on the other end of the spectrum, the whales, who are fine spending thousands of dollars every month - something they would never do in sub based mmorpgs because they already get everything they need at $15 a month.  This is what entices developers and publishers.  This is what makes them ready to drop the pay to play subscription model for the free to play model with a cash shop.

Sure, we like sub based games because its like everybody is on equal footing, everybody has the same chance as everybody else.  Its kind of like socialist gaming in a way.  But , with free to play and a cash shop, people with cash to burn are suddenly are able to burn that cash.  As funny as it sounds, its kind of like capitalist gaming.

Also, MJ isn't exactly the best source to quote to say WHY free to play isn't becoming the more popular method for mmorpg gaming.  The guy barely got his kickstarter funded and Warhammer Online was kind of a shit game.

Want further proof? Look at MMORPG, about 6+ months ago there was hardly anyone against F2P, now there are tons. In another 6 monthst how many do you think there will be? Join the smart side and help save MMO gaming.

You must be new here.  People have been hating on free to play games since Silkroad Online.  Free to play games were notorious for being shitty Korean or chinese ports that had crappy graphics, crappy gameplay, and crappy localization.

My responses in red.  Your arguments are weak and you don't know much about what you are talking about.  You seem to be mixing up random ideology with actual facts. 

Again, the debate was how free to play is becoming more popular then pay to play and how less and less publishers and developers will be using the pay to play method in the future.

• kevnonkevnon Member Posts: 20

This is not a western game. There are no cowboys at all in here.

kevin ripka