Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's amazing how 9 years later WoW is still the only evenly executed MMO

JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

Comments

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Have you tried Rift?  I played WoW for 5 years, but after I switched to Rift I never wanted to go back.  It is similar enough that it doesn't feel weird to make the switch and the graphics are way better.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702
    Yeah. I'd say Rift is the best MMO since WoW. Unfortunately, it reminds me too much of it and while several people I know play WoW, none play Rift. You can't even find people streaming it on Twitch because it is so unpopular.
  • libraofdoomlibraofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Eve Online
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by JonnyBigBoss

Since one year after WoW came out I've been looking for a game to give me an excuse to never go back. Heck, they added Pandaren, something which has completely ruined the atmosphere for myself and many others.

Unfortunately, dozens of MMOs have released and all of them have been underwhelming. I invested so much of my time into waiting for Warhammer Online and it only lasted me two weeks. I waited patiently for Final Fantasy XIV and that was the worst MMO I've ever played. I even gave SWTOR a shot but that was a game with way too much development time put into the voice acting and cutscenes. Guild Wars 2 was similarly fun for a week or two but once I hit level 60 the game's awful dungeon design and lackluster endgame destroyed any thought of me considering it a long-term alternative.

Here I am playing Neverwinter and I actually find it fun. But it isn't polished, AT ALL. The presentation reminds me of MMOs I played back in 2009, and the cash shop is designed in such a way that I feel punished.

I know WoW isn't popular on this site, but truthfully it's by far and away the most polished MMO in history. The combat is still the best in the genre, the world is immersive, and the presentation is clean albeit aging. It's so disheartening because I love the MMO genre, but every game I play makes me just want to go back to WoW. I don't want to go back. I've spent thousands of hours there. Someone, please, any developer, please save us!

not trying to be funny, but was wow your first MMO ?  I only ask because I started playing MMOs in 1999 with EQ and play on and off to this day.  Having said that, I have played quite a few MMOs since then and the only one worse than wow was warhammer. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Eve is probably the second best mmo out there. This just shows how bad other developers are at making good mmos. Quality is definitely suffering right now.
    You wouldn't know it by running around the game world.  We got a bunch of new people after the Storm Legion expansion came out and the servers feel populated.  You are probably just used to Wow sized overcrowding, which makes everything else feel abandoned.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43

It's amazing wow isn't "popular on this site" as you say. 

Whatever, I only played WoW about 6 months total and I'll say it.

I love WoW!  Sure I don't play it today and I never reached level cap.

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

Originally posted by libraofdoom
    Eve Online

I'm subscribed right now. I literally just float in space then logout. It's way too slow to enjoy.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Sanctuaryy

Back in 2010 summer I played whilst listening to Blind Guardian and Ayreon.  Amazing experience. Thankful for the game and adventure.

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Originally posted by Tyvolus4

not trying to be funny, but was wow your first MMO ?  I only ask because I started playing MMOs in 1999 with EQ and play on and off to this day.  Having said that, I have played quite a few MMOs since then and the only one worse than wow was warhammer. 

My first "MMO" was Priston Tale. Then I played Final Fantasy XI and Lineage II.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I tend to agree.  Everyone always has a special place for their first MMO.  I started with EQ as well and also think WoW is one of the worst games ever developed, but we are in a minority it seems.  Oh well, to each their own I guess.

• GodEmperorWAAAGHGodEmperorWAAAGH Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Have you tried Rift?  I played WoW for 5 years, but after I switched to Rift I never wanted to go back.  It is similar enough that it doesn't feel weird to make the switch and the graphics are way better.

Don't know how you can stand Rift, it's so generic, unstylized, and souless, and the animations are disgustingly bad.  Everything Rift has copied from other MMO's is made worse by the untalented group at Trion, and they don't even release proper updates, just lame stuff they threw together fast to get people talking.

Trion is good at marketing and making people think what they want them to think, but that's all.

Rift, the game everyone says is amazing, but no one actually plays.

A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Sanctuaryy

This website is basically where the MMORPG hipsters and cynical veterans hang out. 

Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!Ding!!

• GodEmperorWAAAGHGodEmperorWAAAGH Member Posts: 12

The sandbox is the answer to the WoW problem, once someone makes a AAA one with a good story and setting it will absorb all the WPVPers WoW has screwed over, and all the PVEers that are tired of the same raiding gear grind they've been doing for years and suck a big chunk of subs from WoW. Until then we will keep getting WoW clones from clueless devs.

A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I have to agree with the OP. All games released since WoW have been inferior quality in almost every way. WoW is great in almost every aspect of its design, where games released since have struggled to have even one amazing feature worth continuing the game for. Just my opinion, however.

Originally posted by GodEmperorWAAAGH
    Originally posted by Raventree

Don't know how you can stand Rift, it's so generic, unstylized, and souless, and the animations are disgustingly bad.  Everything Rift has copied from other MMO's is made worse by the untalented group at Trion, and they don't even release proper updates, just lame stuff they threw together fast to get people talking.

Trion is good at marketing and making people think what they want them to think, but that's all.

Rift, the game everyone says is amazing, but no one actually plays.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  Trion pumps out content like mad and the events are a lot of fun.  They are absolutely one of the best devs out there if not THE best in my opinion because of the speed of their updates and the fact that they are listening to what the players want.

As for the game world, my first impression when I started was similar to what you are saying.  It seemed beautiful but kind of generic and I sort of shrugged and kept wandering.  After I tried a whole bunch of other MMOs and came back I realized how well done everything was.  I really don't think it gets half of the credit it deserves, mostly due to people getting an underwhelming first impression and then wandering off.  If there is one criticism that I would level against Trion it is that they should take a little more of a risk with the "style" of their games.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

My first "MMO" was Priston Tale. Then I played Final Fantasy XI and Lineage II.

ya, I started L2 in Open Beta.  I still log on from time to time.  One of my fav MMOs of all time. 

Originally posted by Ghavrigg

I have to agree with the OP. All games released since WoW have been inferior quality in almost every way. WoW is great in almost every aspect of its design, where games released since have struggled to have even one amazing feature worth continuing the game for. Just my opinion, however.

My first experience with Blizz games and warcraft was with Warcraft II in 1996.  Great RTS game and the world was gritty, dark, and  violent.  Alliance Paladins went head to head with Horde Death Knights.  Fast forward to World of Warcraft and it is cartoony, childish, and Paladins now fight for the Horde.  Maybe if I didnt know what warcraft was like originally I might be able to enjoy whatever good parts of Wow that may or may not exist....but then again it now has a whole expansion dedicated to...panda bears.

from a purely $$$ perspective, hats off to Blizz.  And i give them credit, they turned a hardcore fan of theirs like me, into someone who wont buy or play any of their games anymore.  Paladins to the Horde, lol.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Umm, no.  The combat is awful, it is full of zones, you hit max level super quickly, and end game is a few dungeons over and over.  Try Asheron's Call for a real MMO experience.
  • sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Man i went back to WoW last week after a time away and it really has aged badly.

I tried every class i had not yet maxxed from scratch and they tinkered with it so much they are all the same and very boring.

The static quests are garbage, lore barely existant, graphics are aging badly.

I think the WoW killer has arrived, the thing that finally killed it is time.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

If you do Research into this, There is a good explaination for that. It's got nothing too do with WoW being a great and Wonderful Game Either.

The New MMORPG"s that come out now are Dumbed Down, Have less and less content in them, more simplified then ever, easy, simplified mechanics, and classes because the Developers are incompetant greedy Profiteering gluttons who no longer make games because they weren't just soley fixed on money, but also because they were gamers themselves at one point who wanted to make Really Great Games with Excellent story writers, programmers, and Artists, but now it's Like a Shopping Mall were all the Investers have complete control over everything, most of it is all about Money now. That's all they care about, They don't care about making great games because they can cash in on easy sales, and pre orders. Perfect Examples of this are War Z, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Auto Assualt, All Points Bulliten, the list goes on...

These PR representatives and developers are completely and utterly disconnected with the Gaming Community, Who cater to the ones Who are the Obiediant gamers no matter what (Fanboys) who are smart enough to realize a game "Can" be good, Just by "Graphics" and "Gameplay" but are dumb enough to passivly accept all these increasingly shitter games, with less customization, Depth, story, less lore, less choices, and less Creativity. It's a Big Club, and you ain't in it. We are just the stupid ants following around with our faces in each others assess just hoping the next MMORPG will be better but it never is because those PR people are so good at hyping things up, making a game sound really interesting and indepth and while you do your pre order then are laughing at you and me all the way to the bank because they know you just got ripped off.

*The Golden Age of MMORPG"s is Finnished. Don't Botherr looking forward to it, because you will be dissapointed to the point of giving up on MMORPG"s all together. just be happy for what you have.*

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    I just want my Dark Souls MMO, untill then it's a new WoW expansion for few months and then year and half of disappointment. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

When looking for the next WoW, looking somewhere that's Not-WoW tends to result in disappointment.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Op is right.

Here is the thing though. Wow is the jack of all trades and master of most. Nothing comes close. Even rift which is the closest game to wow is far less superior in everything. Even graphics. Rift graphics though they are technologically superior are not more pleasant to the eye than wows cartoony rolling green hills.

I too cant believe no one has come out with anything to divert the wow hunger in the mmo world. To make things worse, crappy games have flooded the market with f2p hidden cost.

I would suggest you dont search for an mmorpg but rather a single player rpg or several. Skyrim is very fun and enjoyable, but if you want to step away from the fantasy genre a bit Dead Space2 has been a blast so far.

I would love a mmorpg to come and make me forget wow but that just isnt happening. Hopefully mmorpgs find there way to next gen consoles and some polished mmorpg with big budgets hit the market. F2p for pc is killing the genre. Not that f2p wont work but its to much of a culture shock for a long time wow player who expects better than what a f2p market is capable of producing.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    WOW will WOW will rock you all over the place and rest of the games are big disgrace. WOW will rock forever! Best MMO ever made!