Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest "Next" and World PvP - email from John Smedley

2»

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

We see it time and again. People claim they want open world PVP then they whine and cry after game launches and say there is no point or not enough participation and beg for battlegrounds untill the developers give in.

as for EQNEXT I am torn as to what I want to see. I think choice of servers is the best way to go.  As PvP is not for everyone , and seeing as now 95% of Everquest fans now are most likely PVEers I can't see them wanting to screw that fanbase over after all their loyal years. I also think that having a few good PVP servers could build upon their solid fanbase if done well.

either way, I'm sure the PvPers will ruin the open world by begging for battlegrounds later Down the road as they always do.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Never did EQ PVP since it didn't exist in any form on any server. (well except rallos and zek which aren't real servers, hah) I  just hope that it stays like that if I play EQNext, PVP players can ask whatever they want as long as there are pure PVE servers.

Not quite pure. I recall PvPing, basically duelling. I think there were zones/areas that allowed PvP? So long ago. I know it happened, I used to duel my pally friend who had resists so high I couldn't land a spell on him, literally, while he jousted back and forth carving me into chunks with his Fiery Avenger (I think it was called).

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

We see it time and again. People claim they want open world PVP then they whine and cry after game launches and say there is no point or not enough participation and beg for battlegrounds untill the developers give in.

either way, I'm sure the PvPers will ruin the open world by begging for battlegrounds later Down the road as they always do.

Battlegrounds have always taken away most of the reason for open world PVP.  Everyone gets their points in the BGs while sitting in a city and have no reason to venture out, since devs who include BGs also tend to have no open world objectives, like seige warfare or guild turf wars.  It is a mixed blessing because those people who just want to quest don't get harassed as much, but for PVPers all that is left is endless BGs until you get bored and quit.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Stromm
    Never did EQ PVP since it didn't exist in any form on any server. (well except rallos and zek which aren't real servers, hah) I  just hope that it stays like that if I play EQNext, PVP players can ask whatever they want as long as there are pure PVE servers.

Not quite pure. I recall PvPing, basically duelling. I think there were zones/areas that allowed PvP? So long ago. I know it happened, I used to duel my pally friend who had resists so high I couldn't land a spell on him, literally, while he jousted back and forth carving me into chunks with his Fiery Avenger (I think it was called).

There was something called an arena, was in the bazaar, later a small zone. The command /duel existed too, which allowed two people to duel each other with consent.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Let me explain something to you. 

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. When one comes along we don't need those who enjoy pure pve to come along and ruin that. There are plenty of pve games out there, please go play one of those!

try being a PvEr that wants a sandbox.  PvPers have EvE, Darkfall, and Archeage coming soon.  Best option for PvE is an incomplete emu server of a closed down game.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by winter 

OP all it is point to the fact they want to sell the game and will tell you anything you want to hear to get good word of mouth going. Smed lies alot. Hell just a few months ago he said there was permadeath in  EQnext and the same day the devs themselves said it was untrue.

This is a SOE project made with a very small budget (by SOE standards) keep your expectations low and you maybe happy. Expect the earth and the moon and your gonna be disappointed.

Incorrect. Someone asked Smedley how he would feel about permadeath in EQ Next and he said "we like permadeath for EQN." Dave Georgesson responded to it and pointed out that John Smedley was simply explaining that a few people at SOE liked the idea, and clarified that he wasn't discussing anything actually planned for the game.

I think what Smed was actually doing was tapping on the glass to see who was paying attention, and how broadly, and in what regard, the information would spread.  It was a hype test.

Possible. Likely, in fact. It worked on me, I wrote a piece about it.

• GodEmperorWAAAGHGodEmperorWAAAGH Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. When one comes along we don't need those who enjoy pure pve to come along and ruin that. There are plenty of pve games out there, please go play one of those!

try being a PvEr that wants a sandbox.  PvPers have EvE, Darkfall, and Archeage coming soon.  Best option for PvE is an incomplete emu server of a closed down game.

On rails spaceships are boring, new Darkfall sucks, and Archeage is Korean so it will likely be as bad as all the other Korean imports. Koreans try too hard to be Japanese so they feel like a knockoff most of the time.

I hear Darkfall has good PVE though, I know the old kraken and ice dragon PVE world boss raids were pretty amazing.

Thank gods I didn't run into a kraken on one of my rafting fishing adventures. lol

A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by winter 

OP all it is point to the fact they want to sell the game and will tell you anything you want to hear to get good word of mouth going. Smed lies alot. Hell just a few months ago he said there was permadeath in  EQnext and the same day the devs themselves said it was untrue.

This is a SOE project made with a very small budget (by SOE standards) keep your expectations low and you maybe happy. Expect the earth and the moon and your gonna be disappointed.

Incorrect. Someone asked Smedley how he would feel about permadeath in EQ Next and he said "we like permadeath for EQN." Dave Georgesson responded to it and pointed out that John Smedley was simply explaining that a few people at SOE liked the idea, and clarified that he wasn't discussing anything actually planned for the game.

I think what Smed was actually doing was tapping on the glass to see who was paying attention, and how broadly, and in what regard, the information would spread.  It was a hype test.

Possible. Likely, in fact. It worked on me, I wrote a piece about it.

Where?

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. 

Are you delusional or something. 

EQ has always been a PVE game, maybe you'll get PVP servers, there's no need to get hostile with PVE players, especially not when almost all EQ players are PVE players, that attitude isn't going to do you any favors btw.

If you say that on an EQ board you're going to piss off thousands of players, so maybe you should thread a bit more carefully.

What the original Everquests were has nothing to do with what the new Everquest will be. The original Everquests were themeparks, EQNext is a sandbox. If their goal is to target previous EQ players, they will just transfer their already existing player bases to their new game instead of expanding their player bases, it doesn't benefit them in the slightest.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I know when I started EQ (2001 or so) there were 3 PvP servers. Rallos Zek, Tallon Zek and Vallon Zek. There was alos a whole zone dedicated to PvP called, wait for it, The Arena off of Lake Rathe. Not only that, but there were smaller arenas scattered around the city zones. I would expect EQN to have similar. I'll be hitting up Bertox again, which was PvE mainly, hoping they keep the familiar server names for this game.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Everquest has always had open world pvp, the only reason they added Battlegrounds is so that people on PVE servers could do more than just /duel (they haven't always had pvp, but when pvp was implemented it was open world)

Well, assuming you mean EQ1. EQ had 2 types of servers. If I pick about the middle of the game's existance...

About 20+ were pure PVE servers

2 were PVP servers (Rallos and Zek iirc). Which later became 1, namely Zek, which still exists.

EQ never had battlegrounds, there was an arena yes, it was a place in the bazaar people could mess about in without any actual rewards or goal. You could also /duel, but out of my 8 or so years playing EQ, I maybe did that once, because there was no point in doing it.

Zek and Rallos did have open world PVP, but the PVE servers never had PVP (unless you add the /duel command and the tiny arena, which really is meaningless)

Pritty sure there was 3 pvp serers, Rallos Zek (FFA) Sullon Zek(Diety Server, Good vs Evil vs Nuetrals or somthing along those lines and tallon zek (PvP race team, Human type races vs evil races vs elves vs short races) which was a 4way team based Pvp.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

sorry but blue servers were not real EQ servers to me, was much more challenging and rewarding on the pvp servers.

there might be dedicated pvp servers and i hope there is but there will be dedicated pve servers as well, i can promise you that.

no way will this game feature forced open pvp across all servers, it wont happen so get that out of your heads right now.

its everquest not darkfall.

Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by CalmOceans Originally posted by Ripostethis Everquest has always had open world pvp, the only reason they added Battlegrounds is so that people on PVE servers could do more than just /duel (they haven't always had pvp, but when pvp was implemented it was open world)
    Well, assuming you mean EQ1. EQ had 2 types of servers. If I pick about the middle of the game's existance... About 20+ were pure PVE servers 2 were PVP servers (Rallos and Zek iirc). Which later became 1, namely Zek, which still exists. EQ never had battlegrounds, there was an arena yes, it was a place in the bazaar people could mess about in without any actual rewards or goal. You could also /duel, but out of my 8 or so years playing EQ, I maybe did that once, because there was no point in doing it. Zek and Rallos did have open world PVP, but the PVE servers never had PVP (unless you add the /duel command and the tiny arena, which really is meaningless)
    Pritty sure there was 3 pvp serers, Rallos Zek (FFA) Sullon Zek(Diety Server, Good vs Evil vs Nuetrals or somthing along those lines and tallon zek (PvP race team, Human type races vs evil races vs elves vs short races) which was a 4way team based Pvp.

there were 4 that i remember

rallos zek, tallon zek, vallon zek, sullon zek

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

EQnext is being made as a sandbox game, probably will a heavy pvp element. Do me a favor, find other games to play okay? We pvpers have very limited options when it comes to open world and free for all pvp, very limited. 

Are you delusional or something. 

EQ has always been a PVE game, maybe you'll get PVP servers, there's no need to get hostile with PVE players, especially not when almost all EQ players are PVE players, that attitude isn't going to do you any favors btw.

If you say that on an EQ board you're going to piss off thousands of players, so maybe you should thread a bit more carefully.

That's right, EQ has always been about PvE. And even games with PvP focus have had most of their players playing PvE only. PvP is a niche demand. Open world PvP even more so. To put open world PvP in the forefront above all else would be a financial suicide.

Most you can realistically wish for, is a server with alternative ruleset. Not much more than that.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky