Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Answers to a few questions that always appear in Chat. :)

DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

If a bit lost in the city, press M for the map.  You can double-click on a location to get the "sparkle trail" to lead you there.  Double-click on your marker to turn the marker off. 

Z turns the "sparkle trail" off/on

You can remotely access your characters by clicking the link on the Neverwinter websitesite or by typing in gateway.playneverwinter.com (that is not a link - I used purple just to highlight it) and do things like Professions, Auction House and so forth.  Very handy indeed!

The Manycoins Bank has both a Guild Bank and a couple of bank teller windows which give acces to personal storage space. Sixteen slots is default but you can buy more.

The Foundry is a system whereby players can create their own quests, and maybe get some Astral Diamonds as a tip from happy players as a reward for their work.  They scale to your level when you start them.

Odd Fact:  Gold (and lesser coinage) has relatively few uses in Neverwinter, and is mainly used for consumables, though you can buy Mounts and Companions with it.  Astral Diamonds are the currency used in the Auction House, not gold.  

Astral Diamonds are a type of ingame currency, and you get them via certain quests (for example, completion of a Daily Foundry Mission, but make sure you pick an eligible mission.  Some aren't!) and Dungeons, etc.  Press L and click the Foundry icon on the window that pops up to see Astral Coin rewards for various mission types.  You can get some Astral Diamonds by Invoking your deity every hour.  You can use the Invoke function at the large statue in the city, or at a Camp Fire or a Personal Altar (an item which drops and also acts like a Camp Fire).  The diamonds are in Rough form when you get them, but you can refine up to 24,000 a day by clicking a button.  When you first do an Invokation you get about 1400 Diamonds and after that it seems to vary from a couple of hundred to, sometimes, none at all.  

Identity Scrolls can be bought for a few Astral Diamonds at the Wondrous Bazaar Vendor.

Items bought via the Neverwinter in-game store is purchased using Zen, which is in turn bought via Paypal/Credit card.  Once bought, you have to log into your Perfect World account and "Charge" (i.e. transfer it) to your Neverwinter game.  (Zen is used in quite a few Perfect World games, so you need to channel it to the game of your choice.)

Rogue Stealth skill is NOT a starting skill.  It is an ability gained at lvl 10.

You get a free Companion (aka npc hireling) at lvl 16, and there are 5 to pick from.  The Cleric will fight and Heal, the others have abilities of their own.  You can also buy additional Companions for gold, but I think I am correct in saying you can only use one at a time. (Please correct me if this is not the case)

You get to ride Mounts at lvl 20.  You get 3 Tokens for temporary mounts (they last 5 hours of ingame time apiece) and you can buy permanent mounts for 5 gold. 

Skirmishes are events which require a party of five and can't be soloed.  You can ask to join a group in Chat, which seems to rile some people because of clutter, or press K and join a Queue instead.  From what I've read the Queue seems to take its own good time though.

If you can't see your friend even though you are apparently standing in the same location, you are in a different Instance.  There's a blue circular icon on the top right of the mini-map window which will let you swap instances.

If you place an item in the Auction House to sell it, in your own interests please SET A BUY OUT PRICE!  The AH is overrun with loads of low-level stuff which is set up to expire in 3 to 5 days.  No-one will bother waiting that length of time for low-level items, because within a few hours they will have out-levelled it and won't need it.

Nightmare Chests are by no means a rare drop (some players mention having around 50), so don't waste your time trying to sell them for gold or swap one for a Key.  You'll just get laughed at in Chat.  The Chests are worth a handfull of Astral Diamonds at best whereas the Keys seem to cost many thousands.  PW sell the Keys for $1.25 each and players are buying them to sell for lots and lots of Astral Diamonds.

If you need Identity Scrolls because you've run out of them and have a lot of items to ID, click the Wondrous Bazaar button at the top of the screen and purchase some.  They immediately appear in your inventory - no need to run to the city Vendor or Postal Courier.

The Mail System sometimes borks itself and sends two copies of the same mail, and if any item(s) are attached to one of them, deleting the "spare", empty mail message will delete BOTH emails.  Take care in case you lose a lot of stuff.

Comments

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Thanks for info.

How can you see if a Fundry Quest is eligble or not ?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Nasa

Thanks for info.

How can you see if a Fundry Quest is eligble or not ?

Eligible for the daily?

When you have the daily, it'll say it in green on the quest's description if it's eligible.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I noticed that the Foundry Quest "I am the Slayer" is not eligible for the quest where you need to complete a Foundry Quest, by the way.  It's a good quest but you may as well pick an eligible quest first time around.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

Good stuff,

Thanks!

Sz

:o)

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Newbie tips:

On boss fights with melee bosses (most are), you can avoid taking any hits if you play smart and move.

You can often pull adds before engaging bigger foes, so you dont have to deal with those aswell.

You can use obsticles for line of sight maneuvers (for example vs spellcasters with adds).

Explore your instances, there are almost always hidden stuff and secrets to be found, also in group dungeons.

Do your daylies or skirmish hour for astrals.

Always have level appropriate weapon, damage = survivability.

I try to stay a level or two ahead of the quests I do solo, makes everything much easier.. Do some foundry in foundry hour or run some dungeon or whatever to get ahead on xp.

Ignore chat in Neverwinter city, dont despair it gets better in 20+ zones.

Mobs will aggro if you stand still at a certain range, but if you run past at the same range, they will not.

Afaik (I might be wrong), gear with crit chance, avoidance, life leech has extremely poor bonuses on lower levels - I suggest focus on power, hp, armor.

Sell stuff as often as you can, identify before selling if you got enough scrolls.

Healer companion seem to be the popular and only smart choice, unless you are a cleric (correction: or rogue maybe, see reply below).

You get 2 extra bags for free, one ~10 and one ~30, and that is it unless you cough up - But you don't actually need more. You can mail stuff to yourself with @yourloginhandle when you are next to the mail officer (see map). Also there is a non-shared tiny bank for each character (see map).

Originally posted by kjempff

Healer companion seem to be the popular and only smart choice, unless you are a cleric.

I'm going to call you on this one :) My rogue does not do great with a healer companion.. the rogues threat is much lower due to threat reduction and stealth so the healer takes the aggro all the time and gets killed easily on tougher fights (not the normal low level questing stuff, I'm talking after level 25). Rogue does much better with another damage dealer or a tank in my experience..

Originally posted by Vannor

Healer companion seem to be the popular and only smart choice, unless you are a cleric.

I'm going to call you on this one :) My rogue does not do great with a healer companion.. the rogues threat is much lower due to threat reduction and stealth so the healer takes the aggro all the time and gets killed easily on tougher fights (not the normal low level questing stuff, I'm talking after level 25). Rogue does much better with another damage dealer or a tank in my experience..

The Companion Cleric is a good choice for your first Rogue Companion though, and by lvl 25 you should have another Companion or two to choose from.  What Companion did you choose at 25?  I've seen lots of Dogs and Wolves around, if that's anything to go by.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Buy some keys for $1.25 ea and then your set for astral diamonds. Kind of like GW2 in the sense you could buy keys for real money and get easy gold for it. I seen gold spammers too and who would buy gold for anything other than potions, portable altars etc. Gold is almost pretty much useless. I'm not doing the $1.25 thing to get enough astral diamonds because I wonder what else other than bag space, storage space, conveniance items etc their going to make it easier to pay for. Still surviving without paying anything as yet.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I've noticed this, even in pre-25 stuff the cleric dies fairly quickly when you stealth, especially when I use my super stealth and vanish for ages.

It is very useful pet to have in instances though, the extra healing there never goes astray.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

Originally posted by Dibdabs

The Companion Cleric is a good choice for your first Rogue Companion though, and by lvl 25 you should have another Companion or two to choose from.  What Companion did you choose at 25?  I've seen lots of Dogs and Wolves around, if that's anything to go by.

I use the man-at-arms mostly. Because it makes it much easier to get behind the target almost all the time and do extra damage. Damage which seems to outdamage that of having a striker companion.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Good thread.  A couple of those points were news to me.  Thanks!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Anyone found how Companions progress beyond lvl 15?  I see this asked a lot in Chat and no-one knows.

Oh crap!  That can't have been fun.  :(

That reminds me of another possibly expensive misclick... The Mail System sometimes borks itself and sends two copies of the same mail, and if any item(s) are attached to one of them, deleting the "spare", empty mail message will delete BOTH emails.  Take care in case you lose a lot of stuff.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I took the Tank companion and I feel it was the best choice for me.  He stays alive and pulls aggro off me.  I may take the cleric later on, but I feel the tank is far better starting off.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

My Cleric does really well with the Man At Arms Companion.  He does a great job of keeping mobs off me while I do my stuff.  I still prefer the combination of Rogue/Cleric Companion and Mage/Cleric Companion for efficiency and speed though.  The Cleric character class seems to take noticeably longer even with the Man At Arms alongside.

You can remotely access your characters via gateway.playneverwinter.com and do things like Professions, Auction House and so forth.  Very handy indeed!

It means you can be playing one character and window out to keep the offline characters doing something useful.  I will be using this on my Android tablet a lot.  :D

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Anyone found how Companions progress beyond lvl 15?  I see this asked a lot in Chat and no-one knows.

Right now only 'purple' companions get over level 15 (the ygo to 30). Maybe even others (blue?) but I only have the purple dog from Guardian's pack. Apparently, you will need a Tome to let a 'white' companion go over lvl 15 but they aren't in game yet (that's what I heard)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea,

Each companion level goes up by 5 based on rarity.  Companion tomes are in the works but not in game currently.  Basically, white =15, green=20, blue=25, purple=30.

And just to stress this again, a lvl 30 companion should be equivalent to a lvl 60 character.  I wish they'd clarify that.  It's very confusing.

Ahhh, thanks.  That explains why no-one knows then.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

You can remotely access your characters via gateway.playneverwinter.com and do things like Professions, Auction House and so forth.  Very handy indeed!

It means you can be playing one character and window out to keep the offline characters doing something useful.  I will be using this on my Android tablet a lot.  :D

Oh my...work is going to suffer!

Many thanks for link.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Many thanks for link.

if you are worried about following a link to a website that asks for your username and password you can get to this page from the main website by following a link they provided in their news article "Neverwinter Open Beta is Live. Play Now!" dated April 30th.

Originally posted by Muppetier
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Many thanks for link.

if you are worried about following a link to a website that asks for your username and password you can get to this page from the main website by following a link they provided in their news article "Neverwinter Open Beta is Live. Play Now!" dated April 30th.

That's why I didn't make it a link, just to make everyone feel safe.  The safety was worth mentioning though.   :)  I just coloured it purple to highlight it.

• AinesAines Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by muthax

Right now only 'purple' companions get over level 15 (the ygo to 30). Maybe even others (blue?) but I only have the purple dog from Guardian's pack. Apparently, you will need a Tome to let a 'white' companion go over lvl 15 but they aren't in game yet (that's what I heard)

white - 15, green - 20, blue - 25, epic - 30. I think that's about right and I have heard the same about the tome.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Be careful about the rare and woundrous stuff being sold in the auction house.  Many of them are Zen store items and are cheaper by purchasing Zen and the item directly.

The opposite applies sometimes as well. Like the wards. If you are going to buy something from the Zen store, first check if they are on the AH for cheaper.

Does anyone know if you could have, say, two Cleric companions, so you could swap to the spare when the other is training?