Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this an expansion?

Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Is this an expansion for Dungeon & Dragons Online?

Comments

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    No, it's a completely new and different game. :)
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    ....No, it's its own game.[mod edit]

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Yes. Yes it is.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

So we will now have two D&D MMO's?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

yup just like we got two everquest MMOs. two guild wars MMOs, two planetside MMOs, two lineage MMOs ect ect...:) 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    are you wondering why we couldnt have two star wars mmo's...?
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Yes and just remember that one is on Eberron (DDO) while the other one is in Forgotten Realms (Neverwinter).

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Actually he has a point, why couldn't this be part of a DDO expansion?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

Yes and just remember that one is on Eberron (DDO) while the other one is in Forgotten Realms (Neverwinter).

DDO has forgotten realms parts to it now.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

Is this an expansion for Dungeon & Dragons Online?

i thought this is never winter night part 3? from bioware?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

yup just like we got two everquest MMOs. two guild wars MMOs, two planetside MMOs, two lineage MMOs ect ect...:) 

all bad comparisons.  this is the only time where a different company has produced an mmo using the same franchise as one currently in service.   Nor is this a sequel, unlike every other example.

It really is weird enough to warrant head scratching.  It's too bad it wasn't more of an analytical game, it's not actiony enough to justify a lack of everything else.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by adam_nox

all bad comparisons.  this is the only time where a different company has produced an mmo using the same franchise as one currently in service.   Nor is this a sequel, unlike every other example.

It really is weird enough to warrant head scratching.  It's too bad it wasn't more of an analytical game, it's not actiony enough to justify a lack of everything else.

For those that don't remember:

Atari sub-licenced D&D to Turbine.  Then when D&D initially flopped Turbine and Atari had a bit of a disagreement over why.

Turbine claimed that Atari had failed to market it properly - and Atari actually acknowledged this.

Turbine took over marketing and proposed going to Free to Play model = DDO:Unlimited.  They needed Atari's approval to do this and had to re-enter contract negotiations to do so.  At this point Atari could have said "No." and simply let DDO die... ended the Turbine contract and moved on... but they didn't do that.

Instead - while on one hand negotiating a new contract with Turbine they were also doing a 'secret deal' with Cryptic for the same IP!

It doesn't take a genius to see that this is dirty business - and breaks a number of 'laws' to do with contracts.  But apparently Atari didn't have any geniuses...

This resulted in legal action and settlements and two D&D games... Neverwinter by Cryptic is officially NOT and MMO AFAIK.... because if it is Turbine can sue again IIRC?  But would have to read the stuff again since Turbine's contract runs out sometime.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Neverwinter and Eberron are two different D&D.  I always liked Forgotten Realms more.
  • RiseldardRiseldard Member Posts: 4

It's a new game.

Overall, Neverwinter is free to play and good enough that I think even people who look set up for disappointment ought to give it a go (if you're looking for a faithful recreation of DnD 4e, or you prefer the traditional number colliding MMOs to this new-fangled "most attacks have to be aimed and can be avoided" movement, then I mean you).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Actually he has a point, why couldn't this be part of a DDO expansion?

Because it's made by a competitor...lol

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

So has anyone played the Turbine D&DO that is trying this new one that is still in beta? I'm curious if the graphics for this new game are better, and any other gameplay comparisons would be cool too.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Yea, its a shame we can't have two MMOs of a different license *coughstarwarsonlinecough*

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

So has anyone played the Turbine D&DO that is trying this new one that is still in beta? I'm curious if the graphics for this new game are better, and any other gameplay comparisons would be cool too.

I did, so let me give you the rundown:

DDO has fewer races but more classes, but some races can't play as certain classes in DDO, while all races can play all classes in NW.

NW has better graphics and more (graphical) character customization options than DDO.

DDO and NW are fairly equal in terms of item variety.

DDO allows classes to equip armor and weapons not ideal to them, but the disadvantage is so great it is not adviseable, while NW does not alow the equiping of armor or weapons that you class usually does not use.

DDO and NW are equal in terms of abilities and combat, although NW is slightly more action oriented.

DDO's quests and dungeons are narrated and feel more like a tabletop session of D&D, with one (cash shop) dungeon being narrated by the late great Gary Gygax.  NW quests and dungeons only have voice acting in cutscenes and when talking to certain NPCs.

DDO requires cash shop purchases for certain races and classes, which may or may not happen with NW.

DDO requires cash shop purchases for certain expansions, which may or may not happen with NW.

NW has the foundry, which DDO, to my knowledge, lacks.

In conclusion, some people will prefer DDO, some will prefer NW.  I personally prefer NW, but that's just me.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?