Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is All PVP Still Restricted To Cyrodiil? If It Is Im Not Buying This Game

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Grixxitt
    Originally posted by Vendac

Originally posted by stragen001
    OP - In answer to your unwritten question - No, you wont be able to Gank teh Newbs

So true.  About 10% of the people that want full open PvP are actually good players looking for a good fight.  The rest are just bads farming the noobs.

So in your scenario the many are farming the...none? What?

Its pretty pathetic to see people believe so heartily in restricting how other people decide to play.

What is truly pathetic is people that don't realize an MMO is not just about them and that what they do affects someone else's enjoyment.

In MMOs yeah, some people are ignorant enough with their cheats, hacks and griefing that they have to be restricted. Anyone who has ever played an open world PvP game where ganking is possible knows damn well that there are always some people camping low level quest hubs and ganking those 50 levels below them...always.

Some developers--Arenanet and Zenimax for example--know that this has always been the way so they decided to segregate PvP and PvE. If that alienates the anti social jerks who get their jollies out of griefing, so be it. They're willing to make do without their money.

There are assholes who play MMOs and even the most hardcore full loot ffa PvP MMOs sometimes have to step in and "restrict how other people decide to play." Want an example? Here you go: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7353/Darkfalls-Disgusting-HOGGs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFYc3_MgkI heres some non open world full loot hardcore material from them,you can decide who are the "bad guys"

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow never had "meaningful open world pvp"

Yea WoW did have meaningful Open World PVP when PVP servers were balanced.  Before they removed the rule saying that you cannot have a greater than 59% to 41% faction inbalance on PVP servers, PVP was enjoyable because you didnt have 5000 horde to 100 alliance on 1 server.  

Meaningful means there was some meaning behind it. WoW PvP combat is fun but not meaningful. Have something to fight over that impacts your faction and gives you rewards only when you win or feel heartbroken when you fail. Now thats meaningful. 

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

Grade A 100% BS outside perhaps you, yourself and a few others require the developers to hold their hands so much you cant figure things out on your own.

Also, at no point did the OP say FFA PvP. Open world PvP does not mean FFA. FFA means FFA. Open world means you can CHOSE to PvP anywhere in the world.

As for faction restriction...more pure BS. TES lore states that this is around the fall of the SECOND EMPIRE. During the first empire slaves are taken from all the races so all the lands are mixed. The second empire freed the slaves from the first. The second empire has stood for over 400 years...so there are 400 YEARS worth of freedom for those races living in the lands they were formerly slaves in, more than enough generations have passed for them to have built a love for their lands.

P.S. Nobody cares about what Runescape did and looking at the genre, few players want those limitations going by their choices of games AND the choice of companies NOT making games like that.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by PAL-18

OP - In answer to your unwritten question - No, you wont be able to Gank teh Newbs

So true.  About 10% of the people that want full open PvP are actually good players looking for a good fight.  The rest are just bads farming the noobs.

Its pretty pathetic to see people believe so heartily in restricting how other people decide to play.

What is truly pathetic is people that don't realize an MMO is not just about them and that what they do affects someone else's enjoyment.

In MMOs yeah, some people are ignorant enough with their cheats, hacks and griefing that they have to be restricted. Anyone who has ever played an open world PvP game where ganking is possible knows damn well that there are always some people camping low level quest hubs and ganking those 50 levels below them...always.

Some developers--Arenanet and Zenimax for example--know that this has always been the way so they decided to segregate PvP and PvE. If that alienates the anti social jerks who get their jollies out of griefing, so be it. They're willing to make do without their money.

There are assholes who play MMOs and even the most hardcore full loot ffa PvP MMOs sometimes have to step in and "restrict how other people decide to play." Want an example? Here you go: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7353/Darkfalls-Disgusting-HOGGs.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFYc3_MgkI heres some non open world full loot hardcore material from them,you can decide who are the "bad guys"

So a few years ago in another game the same guy was reporting a different type of asshat?

I don't know what that has to do with griefing deliberately to try to get a rise out of what he calls "gimps" (which btw, still reminds me of the 2 rednecks in Pulp Fiction who had a pet "gimp" in the basement of their shop) and posting it on youtube as some kind of "instructional video" on how to harrass others in DF UW.

All I see is one type of asshat reporting a different type... the dude is still what he is,

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

So a few years ago in another game the same guy was reporting a different type of asshat?

I don't know what that has to do with griefing deliberately to try to get a rise out of what he calls "gimps" (which btw, still reminds me of the 2 rednecks in Pulp Fiction who had a pet "gimp" in the basement of their shop) and posting it on youtube as some kind of "instructional video" on how to harrass others in DF UW.

All I see is one type of asshat reporting a different type... the dude is still what he is,

I dont care how they call people,point is @ RvR there are just as many problems like theres in open world,maybe even more.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.

I dont care how they call people,point is @ RvR there are just as many problems like theres in open world,maybe even more.

Strange conclusion to draw from what I posted and the 2 videos. AFKing, macroing, hacks, etc. exist in all games--PVE, RvR, open world, instances...it makes no diference. But in every game that has open world PvP in addition to all the other shit, there is also camp and harrass the lowbees when they're trying to PvE.

It's a gutless form of griefing and I have seen it in every single game I've ever played where that was possible...ususally from stealth which makes it even more gutless.

In an RvR game that has some PvE in the PvP area, when people go there they go there deliberately and they have a fighting chance since everyone gets bolstered to 50 there.

That's totally different than some bored asshat deciding that grief the noobs would be a lot of fun for the next hour.

And in case I wasn't clear enough let me emphasize it...

When everyone is the same level, e.g, 50, PvP works. When they're not it's a joke and griefers will abuse it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Strange conclusion to draw from what I posted and the 2 videos. AFKing, macroing, hacks, etc. exist in all games--PVE, RvR, open world, instances...it makes no diference. But in every game that has open world PvP in addition to all the other shit, there is also camp and harrass the lowbees when they're trying to PvE.

It's a gutless form of griefing and I have seen it in every single game I've ever played where that was possible...ususally from stealth which makes it even more gutless.

In an RvR game that has some PvE in the PvP area, when people go there they go there deliberately and they have a fighting chance since everyone gets bolstered to 50 there.

That's totally different than some bored asshat deciding that grief the noobs would be a lot of fun for the next hour.

When everyone is the same level, e.g, 50, PvP works. When they're not it's a joke and griefers will abuse it.

Thats exactly what these AFK macroes,botters etc are doing,without playing to max lvl and gear.

What you are asking is basically game for that kind of people,some kind of sterilized world, what kind of fantasy world is that ? pretty far from Middle-earth.

If theres no "bad guys" there wont be any "good guys" either.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tes isn't that kind of universe

It's not a goodies vs baddies type universe, its a various shades of grey universe

It's not a goodies vs baddies type universe, its a various shades of grey universe

well its still ES ,but what kind of ES is that which makes Narnia sound like a horror movie.

Thats exactly what these AFK macroes,botters etc are doing,without playing to max lvl and gear.

What you are asking is basically game for that kind of people,some kind of sterilized world, what kind of fantasy world is that ? pretty far from Middle-earth.

It sounds like you have a very negative, condescending view of people who just like PvE or are just starting to play MMOs and have no idea that PvP is fun and mostly harmless.

"AFK macroes,botters etc" are a tiny minority of those who don't like open world PvP. As a matter of fact, it's usually the PvPers who are most prone to use speed hacks and other cheats.

No many MMOs have ever done open world PvP properly yet with negative consequences for griefing built into the game that are harsh enough to discourage a 50 stealther wading into a group of 6 level 15s, demolishing them, teabagging them and then doing it again.

Don't get me wrong I love good PvP but I've seen many more asshats that are PvPers than those who just PvE.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

It sounds like you have a very negative, condescending view of people who just like PvE or are just starting to play MMOs and have no idea that PvP is fun and mostly harmless.

"AFK macroes,botters etc" are a tiny minority of those who don't like open world PvP. As a matter of fact, it's usually the PvPers who are most prone to use speed hacks and other cheats.

No many MMOs have ever done open world PvP properly yet with negative consequences for griefing built into the game that are harsh enough to discourage a 50 stealther wading into a group of 6 level 15s, demolishing them, teabagging them and then doing it again.

Don't get me wrong I love good PvP but I've seen many more asshats that are PvPers than those who just PvE.

well if they are tiny minority then why develope that kind of systems for majority.

well if they are tiny minority then why develope that kind of systems for majority.

Ok...that mad no sense...at all. PvE players are not a minority...cheaters are.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by HighMarshal

Has any full open world PvP games ever survived? Most crash and burn after release, while the rest slowly fade into........

Oblivion!

LOL WTF

Ultima Online would like a word with you, friend.  Still kickin' after 15 years.

EvE Online too.

Also Darkfall and Mortal.

In fact, I can't think of a single Open PvP game that has ever been shut down for lack of players/money.  Only one was Darkfall 1 and that's just because they wanted everyone playing the sequel.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

well its still ES ,but what kind of ES is that which makes Narnia sound like a horror movie.

Does narnia have kids doing the black sacremant using their mothers corpse to make a contract with the dark brotherhood to kill a old hag at a orphanage? Does narnia have a perverted necromancer that kidnaps women to make them his undead sex slaves? Or how about torturing a priest til he submits himself to a demon just so u can get a demonic mace?

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Pretty silly to buy an Elder Scroll game for any pvp reason tbh.
  • casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by tkreep

Does narnia have kids doing the black sacremant using their mothers corpse to make a contract with the dark brotherhood to kill a old hag at a orphanage? Does narnia have a perverted necromancer that kidnaps women to make them his undead sex slaves? Or how about torturing a priest til he submits himself to a demon just so u can get a demonic mace?

The answer is of course YES.  image

Now we are talking and pretty much walking ,can players do that kind of things to other players ?

If not ,it sounds like a sim city MMO,where people can do weird things,alone so who cares.

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by Mouls

There is no 'risk vs reward' neither 'Territorial Control Warfare' so there is nothing to justify OWPVP in TESO,implementing it would be idiocy thats because there is only RvR.

No risk vs reward in Territorial control warfare, especially siege warfare? A second ago you just mentioned Shadowbane, you should know. The most meaningful moment you can have in an MMORPG is the moment when your city is under attack, and that same city you have spent too many months working on with your guild. You have defended it for the past year few times per month. You're confident, nothing new, been there done this. And you lost, you lost the fucking city you had dedicated so many hours upon, the same city you had woken up to defend at 4 a.m is now gone. Enemy banners now decorate its walls.

Shit, that isn't risk? Or reward for the attackers (sieging wasn't cheap)?

Sorry i meant there is no 'risk vs reward' in TESO,neither 'Territorial Control Warfare'.

english is not mine native language. 

i didn't said there is no  'risk vs reward' in a game with TCW like Shadowbane.

Now we are talking and pretty much walking ,can players do that kind of things to other players ?

If not ,it sounds like a sim city MMO,where people can do weird things,alone so who cares.

oh so if a game doesnt have the standard good vs evil factions fighting eachother its not adult enough is that what you saying?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    Originally posted by superconducting

Open world PVP sounds good on paper but in practice is a bad idea. There are a whole host of problems associated with it:

- PVP would be way too scattered and less focused. Small groups or individual players would be haphazardly fighting rather than having larger-scale battles between armies.

- People would not easily know where to go to join up with their groups.

- PVE content (which is most of the game) would not be safe to do. You could never feel safe questing.

- It would be a lore-breaker (at least initially before 50+) if factions are not restricted to the races the comprise them.

I remember when runescape decided to open up the whole world to PVP, instead of just limiting it to the wilderness. The amount of backlash they received was mind-numbing. PvP was ruined so much that they eventually they restored the wilderness to the way it was before.

Tell the people at blizz that, it was in fact the removal of meaningful OW PVP that cost blizz many subs. OW PvP in Vanilla WoW was some of the best OW PvP in any game.

actually they never removed it, since they never introduced it in the first place.

wanna pvp? why not do it? the same rules that gave us TM vs southshore do STILL exist. there was NOTHING special about this pvp we just did it.

if you thikn blizz removed it. you are wrong, players did, since it did not give you anything at all in the end.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

oh so if a game doesnt have the standard good vs evil factions fighting eachother its not adult enough is that what you saying?

Some players are good and some are not?

What kind of world is that where standard is that every player is good ? even Christian Bibles Heaven is horror movie compared to that.

What kind of world is that where standard is that every player is good ? even Christian Bibles Heaven is horror movie compared to that.

elder scrolls was never about being either good or evil, as the other poster said its mainly in shades of grey which makes it realistic because in reality there are no one who is perfectly good and completely evil, sometimes people make a good choice and sometimes people make a selfish choice.  Saying elder scrolls makes narnia look like a horror show is the dumbest thing i heard...elder scrolls universe is so much darker filled with mature content for the players.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Why rule out a whole game that you could very well end up really liking just because one feature isn't to your liking on paper? Let's say pvp is restricted to one zone, but come launch day, people get to that zone and find out its really well made and, most importantly, extremely fun to play. Do you want to miss out on that just because you have already set limits on what features you need in order to enjoy a game?

My advice would be to just play the game and decide for yourself if its fun to you or not.

I would rather have a root-canal than take part in any sort of PvP event.

The fact that they have PvE content in a PvP area is like a slap in the face of the PvE'ers that do not wish to take part in any sort of PvP.

I'll be picking up ESO but I seriously doubt I'll play it long.  I may go through some of the content but I'll uninstall it shortly thereafter.

elder scrolls was never about being either good or evil, as the other poster said its mainly in shades of grey which makes it realistic because in reality there are no one who is perfectly good and completely evil, sometimes people make a good choice and sometimes people make a selfish choice.  Saying elder scrolls makes narnia look like a horror show is the dumbest thing i heard...elder scrolls universe is so much darker filled with mature content for the players.

Well in my Skyrim or Morrowind or Oblivion i can act the way i want but in your games i cant.

Mature content is nothing if its not player made in multiplayer game,when i save someones life in multiplayer game and you kill some NPC ,theres a huge difference and you wont see anyone saving anyones lifes in world like that because there wont be anyone trying to kill anybody,because its not possible,they dont even allow anyone to try.

And because its not possible then what kind of world is that ?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

no no no

You can act how you want in the elder scrolls games. I've made characters who were evil as one can be and characters that were as good as one could be.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo